Atheism: Love it or Leave it? - Part 4

Status
Not open for further replies.
A friend of my friend actually got de-baptized. First time I heard about that.
There are two kinds. One is formal – where, as a non-believer, you request that your name be removed from the church’s baptismal registry. (The non-believer doesn’t want their name included in the overall statistics that the church might be inclined to cite.)

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/religion/Voluntary-De-Baptism-Rising-in-Europe-137592823.html

The second is much more informal; with a “certificate” and “ceremony,” you renounce your former faith in friendly/party atmosphere.
esc_smileys_wink.gif

debaptism-with-edwin-kagan.jpg

Last edited:
Apparently, that is the same Patrick Greene that was a subject of discussion in an episode of the Atheist Experience called 'Foolish Atheists'.

[YT]yA96bQfNEKw[/YT]

Considering that all it took to convert him was donations, it seems he really didn't have good reasons for being an atheist in the first place.

Apparently, that is the same Patrick Greene that was a subject of discussion in an episode of the Atheist Experience called 'Foolish Atheists'.

[YT]yA96bQfNEKw[/YT]

Considering that all it took to convert him was donations, it seems he really didn't have good reasons for being an atheist in the first place.
wow he is hard to listen to. how did you find that?

I saw Matt Dillahunty tweet about it then I went to youtube to find it.

And wow, sheesh, that really was horrible to listen to. What an idiot.

My sympathies go out to that church. They deserve to be applauded for their act of kindness, and although it may seem that Mr. Greene's conversion would be a good thing for them, I don't think that things will turn out that way. I suspect that Mr. Greene will always be a fanatic, no matter what he believes or doesn't believe, and will end up embarrassing them some day. His conversion is good for the atheists, as we are rid of any association with him, but bad for the Christians.

Just look at one of the comments he made in that article before his conversion:
"My wife and I had never had a Christian do anything nice for us," said Patrick Greene. "Just the opposite."
So we have a senior citizen who lives in Texas and has NEVER in his LIFE had a single Christian do something nice for him? And his wife is in the same boat? Either these two live in some of the most peculiar circumstances imaginable, or he was flat out lying... which really only insults the people who were offering to help him by defaming other followers of their faith. I know there are a lot of Christian d-bags around, especially in this state... but I also know that there have been plenty of people here who have gone out of their way to help me when I needed it, and more likely than not, the far majority of them were Christian.

There are two kinds. One is formal – where, as a non-believer, you request that your name be removed from the church’s baptismal registry. (The non-believer doesn’t want their name included in the overall statistics that the church might be inclined to cite.)

http://www.voanews.com/english/news/religion/Voluntary-De-Baptism-Rising-in-Europe-137592823.html

The second is much more informal; with a “certificate” and “ceremony,” you renounce your former faith in friendly/party atmosphere.
esc_smileys_wink.gif

debaptism-with-edwin-kagan.jpg
thanks for sharing these .
g.gif

Has anyone seen this video?

[YT]LTVCpBEvheM[/YT]

:doh: The dislike bar speaks for itself.

I'm pretty much done with religion.

The more I read, think and analyze religion as a whole, the more it seems like utter nonsense to me.

I'm pretty much done with religion.

The more I read, think and analyze religion as a whole, the more it seems like utter nonsense to me.
Same when I was christan the more I tried to belive the stuff and dive into the bible my self the more I was unsure about all of it.
I dont think I was ever a serious when I was christian I only belived out of fear of hell lol.

Same when I was christan the more I tried to belive the stuff and dive into the bible my self the more I was unsure about all of it.
I dont think I was ever a serious when I was christian I only belived out of fear of hell lol.

Whenever I tried as a Christian, after a while I lost interest. Just not for me. No connection.

I'm about 12 minutes into this Ray Comfort/Atheist Experience debate video and wow! It's painful. Ray's arguments comprise of fallacies ontop of nonsensical grammatical nightmares.

[YT]zyzF8SMQOxU[/YT]

I'm surprised Matt didn't bring up that you can't give an example of nothing, in order to demonstrate that something can or cannot come from it. I think maybe it was Tracie who raised that point in a different video.

I don't understand why people like Ray are kind of 'heroes' in the apologetics movement. Anyone with a basic understanding of logic can see these arguments for what they are.

EDIT - About 20 minutes in, they let him get away with too much nonsense. It should be a simple thing to explain that the very reason that scientific knowledge changes when there is new information is the strength of science. It is in part because science does not state absolutes that science is the best and most honest method of describing reality and finding truth.

They're also missing a lot of opportunities to tell Ray that the things he's asserting as evidence of design - birds, trees, flowers, seasons - can all be explained by natural processes.

Last edited:
EDIT: Nevermind, photobucket for some reason is posting it as tiny.

Last edited:
I honestly don't care what someone's belief is, but when they start saying **** like "You're wrong. THIS IS MY BELIEF!!!" then I want to slap you in the face. Whether you're preaching a monotheistic religion to me or you're trying to prove that God doesn't exist.

Just **** and keep your beliefs to yourself unless I ask.

So, what do you all think of Zeus? Like was he real? I personally think he is real and rules Florida...explains all the Lightning Strikes and Thunder Storms. :) heh...

So, what do you all think of Zeus? Like was he real? I personally think he is real and rules Florida...explains all the Lightning Strikes and Thunder Storms. :) heh...

He's totally real. He's my father...
:awesome:

A 2007 Newsweek poll found that 62 percent of Americans would not vote for a candidate who was an atheist, making atheists one of the groups most politically discriminated against in the U.S.

But the conservative Christians whine that they're the ones who are oppressed.

As for Graham's daughter, she has every right to not vote for someone she doesn't feel shares or reflects her beliefs, and everyone else has the same right. I don't see how this is remotely surprising or newsworthy.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"