Age of Ultron Avengers: Age of Ultron Fan Review Thread (Spoilers) - Part 1

For those who might have two hours to kill:

[YT]DoAEC0ZPRKo[/YT]

Despite not liking that Quicksilver died or Bruce/Nat, I really, really love AoU. It was fun, I liked the new characters introduced, and the CGI looked amazing. Still a great film, IMO.

I know this site doesn't get visited very much anymore but it just wanted to ay a couple things. Just watched AOU today (have not seen it since before CW) and boy does AOU get better every time I see it. I think I appreciate more after CW and Ultron is a great underrated villain

Unfortunately I am the opposite, this movie and Ultron himself get worse with every viewing for me. Shame as I love Joss and know he is capable of more.

BvS and SS makes any issues in AOU seem like nothing.

Last edited:
For those who might have two hours to kill:

[YT]DoAEC0ZPRKo[/YT]

Watching this right now (since I have time to kill at the moment). I'm loving this video.

And, at the risk of sounding like a total broken record (because I keep saying this in the thread), I like this movie a lot more now than I did when it first came out to theaters. This movie improves with every time I watch it, personally.

I think it's a well-written movie altogether, and the "deeper" aspects of the movie, in my opinion, are pretty brilliant (especially the Vision stuff). The thing that prevents the film from being great, though, is the fact that it's so dense. This movie is jam-packed. Usually I'm all for movies being shorter nowadays, but this film needed to be longer ... But at the same time, I understand why it isn't longer (big box office blockbuster and all that).

This movie goes by fast for me, because there's just SO much to take in. The first time I saw it, it was sensory overload for me. Upon additional viewings, I've been able to catch more things, which makes me appreciate and enjoy the film so much more.

I think Age of Ultron is underrated ... But at the same time, I can also understand why it is underrated. This movie isn't the accessible blockbuster that the first one was, and I can totally see why some were turned off by it.

I'm glad ya'll are coming around to AoE. Outside of some kinda eye-rolley moments like Cap's "Language" in the beginning action scenes, I ended up loving this movie on my first go-around; the Hawkeye subplot is what won me over - him, Widow, and Tony were what kept me interested in TA, so seeing more from these three was fantastic.

Aside from the stuff mentioned in the video, the one of AoE's main strengths was that I could go into this having not sat through any of Marvel's movies since IM3 in 2013 and being able to follow it all. Tis a shame Joss isn't gonna be here for TA3. On the one hand, I wonder what Joss would do for Infinity War. But glass half full, even though Winter Soldier wasn't my thing I'm interested to see what the Russos do with a more science fictiony setup.

To balance out my brief review, the only negs I've got are that I'm still not a fan of Hulk, Thor or Cap. Its no failing on Joss's part though, since I've heard he's been pretty faithful to the source material.

Last edited:
I don't have the time to watch that video, but I still maintain that I like this movie a lot. Sure, I had issues with Quicksilver dying and Bruce/Nat but everything else was very interesting to me. I've probably watched it more times than the first Avengers now.

As finely woven as this film was throughout the first two acts (specifically the dialogue and character interactions), it's the third one where it kind of falls off. Joss simply didn't know how to wrap the film up and ultimately a somewhat complex villain like Ultron was turned into a soda can to kick around.

The farm sequence was also an interesting choice. They needed a place to hide out, but the time spent on the Brutasha stuff would've been better served fleshing out Thor's journey to the Water of Sight. Also, the whole exchange between Hawkeye and his wife when she claims they need him was kind of empty talk, almost like Joss trying to make up for him being a mindless Loki-henchman in the first film.

Last edited:
The first reactions after immediately watching the film opening weekend was that it was a great film. As the days went by and I thought more on what I saw it got worse and worse. It's not bad, it's not even average, I have it as above average. Ultron as a villain was really disappointing tho, but I haven't liked a marvel villain since Loki. Then there is destroy that one thing and we will win against this horde of enemies ending that they used in the last Avengers movie.

TWS, GOTG, Avengers, IM and CW are As.
CA:TFA, Ant-Man, Thor, IM3 & AOU are Bs
TIH, IM2 & T: DW are Cs

I still think that's a good record. Except if you had an Asian father. :o

As finely woven as this film was throughout the first two acts (specifically the dialogue and character interactions), it's the third one where it kind of falls off. Joss simply didn't know how to wrap the film up and ultimately a somewhat complex villain like Ultron was turned into a soda can to kick around.

The farm sequence was also an interesting choice. They needed a place to hide out, but the time spent on the Brutasha stuff would've been better served fleshing out Thor's journey to the Water of Sight. Also, the whole exchange between Hawkeye and his wife when she claims they need him was kind of empty talk, almost like Joss trying to make up for him being a mindless Loki-henchman in the first film.

The first reactions after immediately watching the film opening weekend was that it was a great film. As the days went by and I thought more on what I saw it got worse and worse. It's not bad, it's not even average, I have it as above average. Ultron as a villain was really disappointing tho, but I haven't liked a marvel villain since Loki. Then there is destroy that one thing and we will win against this horde of enemies ending that they used in the last Avengers movie.

These 2 posts some up a lot of my problems with the movie. I also find it gets worse the more you watch it, it's a real shame as I love Joss.

TWS, GOTG, Avengers, IM and CW are As.
CA:TFA, Ant-Man, Thor, IM3 & AOU are Bs
TIH, IM2 & T: DW are Cs

I still think that's a good record. Except if you had an Asian father. :o

I'd only give the first Avengers movie an A because it's one the greatest comic films in history with only The Dark Night as a rival. They haven't even come close to matching that in any of their other films, nor should it be an expectation.

My grades
B+ CAWS, CACW, Iron Man, Thor, TIH,
B GOTG I hate the ending to that movie on so many levels, CA TFA ,
C Ant-Man , AOU, IM3
D TDW I'm a Thor comic fan and movie Thor is disappointing no more so in this film, IM2 it still bothers that they teased demon in the bottle and played it for laughs.

These 2 posts some up a lot of my problems with the movie. I also find it gets worse the more you watch it, it's a real shame as I love Joss.

I honestly think Joss was burned out, which is why the third act is so forgettable. I hate it every time I hear the "Thor - you're bothering me" crap right before Vision hits him with the hammer.

Strangely I didn't even really get into the shot of all them getting swarmed by the Ultron bots. In some ways I envisioned that scene playing out very differently based on early promo material.

Totally out of context with whatever is being discussed, but I would just like to share how much more I enjoy this movie everytime I watch it. It's just fun. Issues (which there are) aside, I find it charismatic and fun. Spader's Ultron may be one of the best villains and better performed characters we've had. Perhaps we see him in Infinity Wars or something. But yeah, my personal rating went from a 7/10 to a 8.2/10

Carry on :)

I honestly think Joss was burned out, which is why the third act is so forgettable. I hate it every time I hear the "Thor - you're bothering me" crap right before Vision hits him with the hammer.

Strangely I didn't even really get into the shot of all them getting swarmed by the Ultron bots. In some ways I envisioned that scene playing out very differently based on early promo material.

The 3rd act just falls totally flat, you may be right about Joss being burnt out as there is just no feeling in the finale/3rd act, it all just felt dull and flat. That's where the movie totally loses me.

I will admit though I have been meaning to watch it again since CW came out as I felt CW dealt with the fall out if AOU very well.

Regarding act 3,aside from the awesome circle shot/Thor-Vision-Iron Man blasting Ultron,the sequence from Pietro's death with Arvo Part's Kyrie to the last Vision and Ultron scene was amazing for me. One of my favourite part of the whole movie.

Regarding act 3,aside from the awesome circle shot/Thor-Vision-Iron Man blasting Ultron,the sequence from Pietro's death with Arvo Part's Kyrie to the last Vision and Ultron scene was amazing for me. One of my favourite part of the whole movie.

The Vision/Ultron scene is on another level compared to anything Marvel has put out...it defines the entire film for me. The amount of symbolism Whedon throws into that 1 scene is remarkable. The video analysis posted above does a great job of breaking down all the elements in that scene. The more I watch it the more I lean towards Ultron being my favorite villain in the MCU so far.

that was the only part I found amazing towards the end. The circle shot was good, but the drones were like paper mache people it seemed.

The Vision/Ultron scene is on another level compared to anything Marvel has put out...it defines the entire film for me. The amount of symbolism Whedon throws into that 1 scene is remarkable. The video analysis posted above does a great job of breaking down all the elements in that scene. The more I watch it the more I lean towards Ultron being my favorite villain in the MCU so far.

Wait. Which scene with Vision/Ultron are you guys referring to?

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"