[B89] What is the Joker up to?

The Empire Ape

Civilian
Reaction score
I've asked myself what the Joker's motivation was. Since the lazy answer which allows to tell every story "He's crazy, that is the reason!" doesn't apply to Nicholsons Joker (and did not to the comic Joker before the "insanity" card was played all the time).

In B89 we see that after Jack Napier is transformed he gets his revenge and kills Grissom. Then it seems that he tries to take control of the organised crime in Gotham City and to get the public attention taken away from Batman to him (IMO the reason why he poisoned the cosmetics). The rendez-vous with Vicki Vale can be interpretated as "sexual desire". And when Batman steals his "bride" from him and gets again the attention with breaking his "poison code" he decides to go for a final and direct confrontation to finish him finally.

Anf if he had succeeded what would he have done? World domination? :huh: :cwink:

He wanted revenge on Batman for dropping him into the vat of chemicals which made him a toxic waste clown. Who knows what he would have done, probably hid out some where and looted the banks after every one was dead, than skip town. Although there appeared to be more hoagie sandwich shops than banks at the end of Batman '89.

"I make art till someone dies...see? hehehe. I'm the world's first fully functioning homocidal artist."

I remember Nicholson himself stating that he felt Napier was essentially "re-wired" after his little dip at the axis chemicals plant. Having said that, I think Nicholson's Joker would often do things at the spur of the moment. Where Napier might have thought things thru before taking action, The Joker was simply not bound by the same mindset. And looked to inflict as much horror towards the public as possible.

And if he would have succeeded in defeating Batman? I would imagine he would have done pretty much what his plan was with the meeting of Gotham's top Underworld bosses. "Running the city into the ground". After that, he probably would have moved on to another major city. Or whatever else he felt was a good for a laugh.

"I make art till someone dies...see? hehehe. I'm the world's first fully functioning homocidal artist."

Very important.

I see the parade at the end as much a way to just kill people massively for his own pleasure as an artistic intervention to prove a point: people in general are so greedy they could die for a few bucks. His parade is the living prooof of that for the world to see. And as a homicidal artist he used massive death as one of his main "colors."

Or whatever else he felt was a good for a laugh.

No, because this Joker version is not the lunatic we see today. He is clearly a sociopath with no regard for human life but he had actually real plans. It is not for the laughs.

Very important.

I see the parade at the end as much a way to just kill people massively for his own pleasure as an artistic intervention to prove a point: people in general are so greedy they could die for a few bucks. His parade is the living prooof of that for the world to see. And as a homicidal artist he used massive death as one of his main "colors."

yes, and he had good taste too.

Blasting some good old Prince songs while doing his dirty work!

throwing piles of money while "trust" is banging out of the speakers is truly an iconic moment!

yes, and he had good taste too.

Blasting some good old Prince songs while doing his dirty work!

throwing piles of money while "trust" is banging out of the speakers is truly an iconic moment!

At this moment, yes it is.

You don't attract the common people with Beethoven's Fidelio.

No, because this Joker version is not the lunatic we see today. He is clearly a sociopath with no regard for human life but he had actually real plans. It is not for the laughs.
Yes, because this Joker could find humor in anything. Nothing is sacred from the realm of humor as far as The Joker (any version you want to name) is concerned.

I never realized how big Nicholsons belly was in Batman '89. lol. :up:

What?

Stop making it all black and white. The Joker (comics AND Nicholson) is unpredictable and sporadic. One day he'll have a "plan" and he'll see it through, another day he'll kill for the hell of it.

Kane's early Joker liked money and jewels, he was essentially a murderous crook with a twisted MO. The love of money aspect is still a part of the character whenever the writers seem to feel like putting it in, and it's a big part of Nicholson and Hamill's. But that was fused in later years with unpredictability and random acts of violence; Nicholson's Joker represents this fusion. That's why he'll take control of a gang and rake in tons of dough, and the next day decide to poison the entire city. Poisoning the city doesn't take him closer to any specific goal, it's just fun. Like he says, it's his art.

I think sometimes you all confuse Batman'89 with About Schmidt.
Definately, I support your point with visual support :

joker.jpg
ph4.jpg

Nicholson Joker isn't fat, just square type of body. Sorry if you don't see the distinction

Cool pic...

I think his motivation is more of a calling out of Batman, like when he challenges him to a fight. He wants Batman in public, to de-mystify him almost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"