Babies and Ear Piercings: What's your opinion?

Lighthouse

Fairness, Equality, Bacon
Reaction score
I've been witness to a common occurrence at my job that I wanted some Hypesters opinions on. I worked at Wal-Mart for about 6 years, and I often see parents bring in their babies to get their ear's pierced. I'm not talking about 7 year olds, I'm talking 1 to 2 years old, sometimes even younger. It all goes about the same. Parent's hold the kid down while the person working in jewelry does the piercing, and the kid screams his head off, which can be heard throughout the entire store.

I kind of have a problem with this. I don't understand why parents would have the need to get their toddler's ears pierced. I don't think its child abuse, but I think its kinda stupid. It strikes me as vain and egotistical. What's your opinion?

Would you prefer that they waited until the kid was 17 and THEN held them down and pierced their ears? :huh:

jag

It could be worse, they could be choping off the ends of babies' pe... oh wait, nevermind :csad:

They do look cute and then throw in a cute bangle bracelet, adorable.

have you ever had your ears pierced???

It doesnt REALLY hurt that much..

the kid screams more so from shock and being RESTRICTED(not being able to move their head)

i have no problem with it.... i wouldnt mind them NOT doing it.. but it's not a big deal

That's a little weird. That's like giving a baby a tattoo.

Would you prefer that they waited until the kid was 17 and THEN held them down and pierced their ears? :huh:

jag

How about waiting until they're old enough to ask for it?

How about waiting until they're old enough to ask for it?

It's sort of a cultural thing, really. There are many people who have been piercing their baby daughter's ears for generations in America. It's a family tradition. There are also many tribal cultures outside of the states that do it (along with tattooing their babies and altering their physicality, like their feet, shape of their head, length of their necks, etc.) Overall, ear piercing is a fairly benign practice as it's not permanent and it really doesn't hurt very much (as someone alluded to, it's the being held down and crowded that's very upsetting to a child). I'm neither for nor against it, personally, but I understand it's a choice that parents have the right to make and I wouldn't push my beliefs on them over the practice. Thank god we're having a boy so I don't have to deal with that one, though we are going to have him circumsized. Or do you think we should wait until he's old enough to ask to have it done?

jag

It's sort of a cultural thing, really. There are many people who have been piercing their baby daughter's ears for generations in America. It's a family tradition. There are also many tribal cultures outside of the states that do it (along with tattooing their babies and altering their physicality, like their feet, shape of their head, length of their necks, etc.) Overall, ear piercing is a fairly benign practice as it's not permanent and it really doesn't hurt very much (as someone alluded to, it's the being held down and crowded that's very upsetting to a child). I'm neither for nor against it, personally, but I understand it's a choice that parents have the right to make and I wouldn't push my beliefs on them over the practice. Thank god we're having a boy so I don't have to deal with that one, though we are going to have him circumsized. Or do you think we should wait until he's old enough to ask to have it done?

jag

Nice little jab there at the end Jag.

I had to wait until I was 10 years old for mine, but I don't think I would have cared if my mother had done it earlier or when I was in infancy. Its reversible. :cwink:

i think the real problem is working at wal mart for 6 years....

I'm totally against it, and honestly can't understand why you would do it to a baby. I had my ear pierced at 16 and no, it didn't hurt that much, but it still was painful, and sore for a day or two. I wouldn't necessarily say that it should be banned, I just don't like it. This is my opinion though, circumcision is a completely different matter.

Theres a difference between being circumsized (medical procedure) and an ear piercing (body jewlery). I say wait until the kid is old enough to make his own decision on wether or not he wants extra holes in his body to put flashy jewlery in.

My sister was 4 when she asked to get hers done. We told her it would hurt and she insisted. They did ONE ear, and she escaped from the chair and ran screaming through the mall like we were torturing her. I ran after her, caught her and she kept telling me, "One earring is cool, huh, I'm cool."

My mom took the earring out since she wouldn't get the other one done and it wasn't for another ten years before she gave it a second chance. Now she has three in each ear... teenagers.

Baby ear ring piercings? Meh.

Now baby tongue piercings? That's where I draw the line!

TEDDY!

:twisted:

have you ever had your ears pierced???

It doesnt REALLY hurt that much..

the kid screams more so from shock and being RESTRICTED(not being able to move their head)

i have no problem with it.... i wouldnt mind them NOT doing it.. but it's not a big deal
That's worse for the child than pain!

Both my older sister (21) and my baby sister (1 1/2) had their ears pierced when they were just a few months old... it's quick, easy, and they don't even notice. . .

Thank god we're having a boy so I don't have to deal with that one, though we are going to have him circumsized. Or do you think we should wait until he's old enough to ask to have it done?

If you're doing the circumcision for religious reasons and not just to trying to improve his appearance, snip away if that's your custom.

It's sort of a cultural thing, really. There are many people who have been piercing their baby daughter's ears for generations in America. It's a family tradition. There are also many tribal cultures outside of the states that do it (along with tattooing their babies and altering their physicality, like their feet, shape of their head, length of their necks, etc.) Overall, ear piercing is a fairly benign practice as it's not permanent and it really doesn't hurt very much (as someone alluded to, it's the being held down and crowded that's very upsetting to a child). I'm neither for nor against it, personally, but I understand it's a choice that parents have the right to make and I wouldn't push my beliefs on them over the practice. Thank god we're having a boy so I don't have to deal with that one, though we are going to have him circumcised. Or do you think we should wait until he's old enough to ask to have it done?

jag

Actually, theire are groups that consider that genital mutilation. :dry:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"