Backups of your computer...

Malice

BMFH
Reaction score
Does you guys backup data on your PC?
how do you do it?

Just curious....
I do it using some scripts I wrote using a small application called RobocopyXP

I usually back up my files by just burning them onto a DVD:o......

I do a couple different backups. One using just a simple batch file for personal stuff and another that zips up my work stuff and places them on a FTP Site. I also do a ghost image once a week.

I do a couple different backups. One using just a simple batch file for personal stuff and another that zips up my work stuff and places them on a FTP Site. I also do a ghost image once a week.

I thought about doing Ghost images, but I feel its needed for me.
I have a personal 500GB mirrored NAS where I store my personal data.
If my machine tanks, and the hardware is still good, I will just reinstall, I have all the software. Its good to have a fresh machine... None of my machine are mission critical that need to be up and running withing an hour.

I thought about doing Ghost images, but I feel its needed for me.
I have a personal 500GB mirrored NAS where I store my personal data.
If my machine tanks, and the hardware is still good, I will just reinstall, I have all the software. Its good to have a fresh machine... None of my machine are mission critical that need to be up and running withing an hour.

Very cool, I'm looking into a NAS setup as soon as I get my entertainment server and another pc for work built, so I don't have be to tied to a laptop at home.

The Ghosting isn't too bad, I just kick it off before going to bed. Takes about a half hour on my laptop. And, it's about the same to get it back up and running.

Very cool, I'm looking into a NAS setup as soon as I get my entertainment server and another pc for work built, so I don't have be to tied to a laptop at home.

The Ghosting isn't too bad, I just kick it off before going to bed. Takes about a half hour on my laptop. And, it's about the same to get it back up and running.

I honestly think I am just lazy and dont want to have to bother with ghost...

I purchased a Dlink 323 - link - with 2 500GB drives...

take a look, seems to work ok. I am not that picky with network speeds and the like some are, but the reviews on this one are not bad.

Very nice, thanks for the link. :up:

For Macs, Time Machine is a good option. But if you want to do it manually, just buy a USB Flash Drive or a external harddrive. External hard-drives are the best for backup.

I run Macs and I use Carbon Copy Cloner under Leopard to do weekly backups to an external firewire 800 drive. I don't really need the Time Machine features, so just a weekly backup works fine for me. CCC creates a bootable copy of my main drive so if something ever happens to it I can just boot off the copy after installing a new hard drive and copy it all right back over to the new drive and make it bootable without skipping a beat. Under Tiger I was using Super Duper! to do this, at it has some features I liked better than CCC but they haven't made it Leopard compliant, yet. I'll move back to it when they do. Both CCC and Super Duper! are pretty much set it and forget it as they allow for scheduling. :up:

jag

Does you guys backup data on your PC?
how do you do it?

Just curious....
I do it using some scripts I wrote using a small application called RobocopyXP

couple DVDr's and external HD

What's the best program for doing Ghost images? And what all does it Ghost?

We use Norton ghost at work when we image new computers and it does ok, but is starting to give us trouble with Vista machines when we want to reimage them with XP.

I store my important data on a slave hard drive, which is then copyied onto another slave hard drive in a older pc, so if it goes wrong on my pc i still have the whole drive backed up.

Do you use utilities to backup your data to the external HD, or just copy it over?

I personally make sure all data on a comp is stored in one place, and I run a script that copies the data over to the NAS I have everyone in awhile.

Anything important is sent to my school computer, and is backed up on my jump drive.

Can't you just Ghost a hard drive by using the command prompt and using the command xcopy source destination?

Can't you just Ghost a hard drive by using the command prompt and using the command xcopy source destination?

I dont think you can GHOST hard drive A, to HD A and then copy it elsewhere.
HD A would need to be static and unchanging thruout the process...

I am not an expert at Ghost, but there are plenty of Drive Cloning utilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunStorm333
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"