Batman: Arkham Knight

Ive gone through the series via walkthroughs during the 10 year anniversary and man do i miss them...i really want a new one.

The level of detail, the feeling...*sighs* its been too long.

And still, Origins is my favorite of them all.
Doesnt mean one of them is bad or so, just that Origins feels the most like batman to me.

The setting with the snow, the story of batman being hunted by villians and cops, the whole structure of it.
Stuff like crime scenes, stopping crimes, breaking into the gcpd, breaking into lacy towers to build up a crime scene, going into the batcave...there is just so much.
I love Origins the most, but they all have their fair share of making you feel like batman.
More then anything, I want Origins on the PS4. It kills me that it isn't on any console this generation.

Last edited:
More then anything, I watch Origins on the PS4. It kills me that it isn't on any console this generation.

Yeah, thats why i havent bought the return to arkham collection or so...i want them all...most of all Origins on ps4.

You can play it on X1.

Pfff, nobody likes X1 XD.
No, its one of the reasons why im always thinking about getting a XBOX, they make it far easier to play old games.

I've never gotten the love for Origins, personally. It's not a bad game by any means, but so much of it is directly copied from Arkham City (a couple items are literally just reskins), and overall its easily the least ambitious and inventive in the series mechanically, environmentally, and narratively. It will always bother me that they took a really cool premise with Black Mask and the team of assassins and then just turned it into yet another Joker story.

Unfortunately, and for reasons I'll never never understand, i didn't get a chance to play Origins. Years ago I watched a playthrough of it, but it kills me i didn't get a chance to play it after beating and replaying asylum, city, and knight a bunch of times when they all came out. I think at the time I must have been super busy or something

Last edited:
I've never gotten the love for Origins, personally. It's not a bad game by any means, but so much of it is directly copied from Arkham City (a couple items are literally just reskins), and overall its easily the least ambitious and inventive in the series mechanically, environmentally, and narratively. It will always bother me that they took a really cool premise with Black Mask and the team of assassins and then just turned it into yet another Joker story.

If i remember correctly, WBM wasnt allowed to be more creative since it was supposed to take place before Asylum and therefore couldnt really do many things.
The Crime scene stuff allegedly was a hard fought battle between WB and the developers, which had the downside that in exchange they had to add Joker to the story.
But thats all rumors and stuff.

As much as i like the Origins Joker...and make no mistake, that one looks and comes off really awesome...it really hurt the game i think that we got another Batman vs Joker story.

Its why i always wanted WBM to go their own way, create their own Batman Arkham version without being forced into the Rocksteady timeline and all.

For me, it has the best storytelling, best character work, some of the best gameplay, and I find the setting and structure really engaging. It's biggest issue is that it was super glitchy when it first came out. I sadly had a lot of issue with it. But once it was worked out, my favorite Batman game.

Origins stands high above the rest of the series for me. The gameplay is definitely less polished overall, but it's the only one of the series I find myself having the urge to replay at this point. I found the story and characters significantly more engaging than the other three.

Origins is awesome. My personal favorite of the Arkham games. Everything from the characterizations (like compare Bane in Origins to Bane in Asylum and City to see the Grand Canyon sized gap in the quality of character writing), the key character relationship development (Batman and Joker, Batman and Gordon, Batman and Alfred, Batman and Bane, even Harley's therapy session with Joker had more character weight than any interaction they had in the Rocksteady games), boss fights, the Christmas setting.....its all just sublime.

I'd also say the Cold Cold Heart DLC is far and away the best DLC of any of the Arkham games. It was 'Heart of Ice' from BTAS in game form. Fantastic. Being able to explore Wayne Manor and the Batcave was added bonuses to playing Origins.

Last edited:
Origins stands high above the rest of the series for me. The gameplay is definitely less polished overall, but it's the only one of the series I find myself having the urge to replay at this point. I found the story and characters significantly more engaging than the other three.
Thing is, outside of the boss fight with Deathstroke, which can get repetitive, it arguably has the second best gameplay behind Knight. It has been awhile, but I remember it being super responsive compared to Asylum, and even better then City, but that was close.

Thing is, outside of the boss fight with Deathstroke, which can get repetitive, it arguably has the second best gameplay behind Knight. It has been awhile, but I remember it being super responsive compared to Asylum, and even better then City, but that was close.
I'd definitely put it over Asylum. I feel like City vs Origins is much more of a toss up, and I could understand either one. I feel like City controlled a bit better from what I recall, but the boss fights in Origins blew City away with the exception of Mr. Freeze. But hey, none of them made me use the Bat tank like it's a stealth vehicle.

Origins also had you actually fight Deathstroke in hand to hand combat. Though some will argue that it was similar to the Ra's Al Ghul fight in City. The only thing similar was him jumping at Batman and blocking his sword attacks. Whereas in Knight, his "fight" was simply rehash of an earlier tank battle with the Arkham Knight. Now I could have forgiven this if there was an actual fight with him afterwards, but nope he goes down with just one punch.

I really think that Rocksteady only decided to put Deathstroke in Knight after hearing that he was gonna be in Origins. Outside of recording dialogue, they almost literally didn't have anything extra.

Yeah how Deathstroke was handled in AK was unforgivable.

I dont know, some days it feels like they were tired while doing Arkham Knight but at the same time there is so much care and love in the game.
But i would love to know what they thought when they decided to put so much focus on the batmobile, what they thought about some of the boss fights or the overall story that turned yet again into Batman vs Joker for the main part.

I dont know, some days it feels like they were tired while doing Arkham Knight but at the same time there is so much care and love in the game.
But i would love to know what they thought when they decided to put so much focus on the batmobile, what they thought about some of the boss fights or the overall story that turned yet again into Batman vs Joker for the main part.
Knight is a frustrating one, because I really do enjoy elements of the game. There are some Easter eggs that made me smile, I remember enjoying that Ivy got a decent size role, Scarecrow's look, the Professor Pyg side mission, having two fighters simultaneously and the challenge maps. But then, like you said, the Batmobile, the boss fights, Jason Todd, every other side mission, tossing aside half the setup from City that got people excited for a sequel and ending them in subpar side missions, Jason Todd, only using Jason for most (if not all) of the challenge map dialogue, squandering of Scarecrow, Jason Todd, poorly constructed missions to make use of the Batmobile, Jason Todd.

And Jason Todd.

Here is how I think it probably went. They spent a crap ton of time working on the Batmobile and it's mechanics. It was suppose to be a large part of the game, but so was the "buddy" system they also created. but they started working on the Batmobile first, and as they ran out of time, what ended up getting cut was non-Batmobile stuff.

I saw that there's a new Arkham collection coming out tomorrow with all three Rocksteady Batman games (Asylum, City and Knight)...
I wonder if Asylum and City are the same remasters that were featured on 'Return to Arkham'...
I'm kinda hoping they fixed them because I heard a lot of people say they prefer the original games over the current gen 'Return to Arkham' remasters...

As far as the Batman vs Joker thing, by the time Knight came around I had accepted that that's the story Rocksteady was telling. And I maintain the way Joker was used in the game was pretty brilliant. Having him be this metaphysical presence that told the story in a way you could only do in an interactive medium. The way they justified it in terms of plot was pretty silly, but it's a comic book story so you gotta roll with it.

This game is free for Playstation Plus users this month. I'll finally get around to playing it.

As far as the Batman vs Joker thing, by the time Knight came around I had accepted that that's the story Rocksteady was telling. And I maintain the way Joker was used in the game was pretty brilliant. Having him be this metaphysical presence that told the story in a way you could only do in an interactive medium. The way they justified it in terms of plot was pretty silly, but it's a comic book story so you gotta roll with it.

Probably yeah, the overall arching arc is the whole batman vs joker thing...and as that it fits quite well.
Its just that im not the biggest fan of it because it also hurt the other characters imo.

I love a good batman vs joker story, but not when they sacrifice the rest.
Strange and Scarecrow were fantastic, but reduced to nothing and were second fiddle to Joker in the end.

Im loving the whole rogues gallery so its sad to me that they didnt use it as strong as they could have and put them all behind after Joker.

Never beat the stupid gas batmobile riddler mission... therefore never ever touched the game again, so frustratingly dumb.

If i remember correctly, WBM wasnt allowed to be more creative since it was supposed to take place before Asylum and therefore couldnt really do many things.
The Crime scene stuff allegedly was a hard fought battle between WB and the developers, which had the downside that in exchange they had to add Joker to the story.
But thats all rumors and stuff.

As much as i like the Origins Joker...and make no mistake, that one looks and comes off really awesome...it really hurt the game i think that we got another Batman vs Joker story.

Its why i always wanted WBM to go their own way, create their own Batman Arkham version without being forced into the Rocksteady timeline and all.

Yeah that was a major downside for me back then. Lol I remember my hype being so deflated when the Joker was revealed to be Black Mask But ya know after some time I came to terms with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"