Batman Begins, the greatest superhero origin story in the history of fiction...

Oh right, because the Nolan Batman movies are soooo mature and deep.

None of the subtext is forced or pretentious.

At least Marvel movies are proud of being comic book movies. They don't use realism as a misguided attempt at finding legitimacy from film snobs.

His hate for marvel films is just as lame as yours for Nolan films.

Ugh.

Agreed. Batman Begins is definitely best superhero origin, then Raimi Spider-Man, Iron Man, and original Chris Reeve Superman last. They are top ones. Two DC and two Marvel.

I would include Guardians of the Galaxy too. Those are the top five origin films.

Great Batman Film and one when I watched in 2005 at the cinema, the film we'd been crying out for but still short of Superman (1978) as an 'origin' film IMO.

Is Guardjans an origin though? It's a team-up but aside from Starlord we aren't shown the origins of the characters

It shows the team coming together and Star Lord is the main character, so I would say it is.

Oh right, because the Nolan Batman movies are soooo mature and deep.

A hell of a lot more than having someone literally write a cliched-as-hell message of "Proof Tony Stark has a heart" on a reactor

None of the subtext is forced or pretentious.

You're right. The theatricality subtext is incredibly subtle and woven masterfully into the narrative of the film.

At least Marvel movies are proud of being comic book movies.

You mean being cliched, dull, predictable, generic tripe with stock comedy characters and storylines without a hint of originality to them and plot twists that people were mocking for decades?

You mean being cliched, dull, predictable, generic tripe with stock comedy characters and storylines without a hint of originality to them and plot twists that people were mocking for decades?

At least the comedy is intentional unlike Talia's death or the "no moar dead cops" guy. And you can't really criticize plot twist with the fake Batman death or Bruce's love interest actually being Talia who has Bane as a brainwashed goon who just happens to also have brain washed followers himself (lol). And you're also throwing stones in glass houses with the "dull" comment. TDKT is like an episode of Law and Order with down-to-Earth Batman villains. ZZZZZZZ.

It should be called The Dark NyQuil Trilogy. :cwink:

I think this films legacy is that it really was the turning point for where we are now with superheroes, and in some cases cinema in general in the years following its release. It launched TDK which subsequently influence all matter of films inside and outside the genre, it also influenced fellow superhero movies in how to do a origin story. Whether the film is as good as it's made out is subjective, but regardless of where you stand without Begins the superhero genre is a different scene.

Never got the whole 'ashamed to be a comic book movie' thing. Just because it's not off the wall and bombastic or light hearted doesn't mean it's ashamed to be a CBM. There's all kinds of comics, light and bleak, campy and serious, colourful and dark.

Batman Begins is without a doubt the best origin film in terms of superhero movies. It may be my least favorite of The Dark Knight Trilogy, but it's still an outstanding movie.

I can still remember seeing going into the theater to see this movie for the first time, watching it, and coming out completely floored. I went in thinking it was a prequel to the other four films and was not expecting the kind of dedication to the story and characters this movie had given them. Definitely on of the best theater experiences of my life and I've watched countless times in the following years on DVD and Blu-ray.

Never got the whole 'ashamed to be a comic book movie' thing. Just because it's not off the wall and bombastic or light hearted doesn't mean it's ashamed to be a CBM. There's all kinds of comics, light and bleak, campy and serious, colourful and dark.

Exactly.

This movie was great, still the best DC movie ever made and I remember having high hopes for its sequel. and while TDK wasn't bad the tonal shift and a lot of script issues disappointed me as soon as the hype wore off.
but happy birthday BB. You will be remembered as the one Batman movie done right

I'm all for a respectable debate on movies, but the original poster obviously has an axe to grind against the MCU.

He's made 15 threads, 14 have to do with Batman, about 4 of them were polls trying to compare a MCU to a Batman movie. Sometimes the same poll in different forums.

I don't really like to classify myself as a particular fan of solely any franchise. But obviously he's a a huge Batman, Nolan fan and either he's insecure about his choices or needs validations for same.

The fact that there's the same thread in the Batman section without the dig at the MCU, suggests he's trolling.

:shrug:

Btw, BB is my 2nd favorite of the series, but I would rank Superman over it, just because Katie Holmes brings it down a tad.

Nah, you just keep taking his bait. You're a false prophet. Nolan was right.

Of course I'm a false prophet.

<----- It says "decoy" in my username. :oldrazz:

and Nolan can't be right if his Batman sounds like the cookie monster. Your argument is invalid.

and Nolan can't be right if his Batman sounds like the cookie monster. Your argument is invalid.

evKvi.jpg

s2wtuq.jpg

Cookie Monster growl voice ftw :cwink:

Kevin Conroy Batman voice >>> ridiculous Cookie Monster voice

I actually think his voice here was perfect. BB grew on me as time went on.

Very overrated movie. In fact after seeing BB in theatres I had no interest in seeing the sequel but the hype for TDK was huge so I saw it in theaters. TDK deserves the credit it gets, BB IMHO does not.

Also, I think the best superhero origin movies are Spider-Man and Iron Man. I think BB fails with some of the action. No word of a lie, I checked out of BB at the climax because I just wasn't engaged with the train sequence. Spider-Man and Iron Man balances the drama and action of a genre movie.

Last edited:
I think Batman Begins might be the one film that could compete with TDK in a one on one poll on this forum.

There are a lot of problems with BB imo.

He becomes the top fighter in the league of shadows very quickly. He dispatches their whole compound with ease.

The movie resets that when they come back in full form and takeover Gotham.

Not enough of a relationship between Al Ghul and Wayne.

"I cannot kill you, but i do not have to save you." -- ok.

The dialogue provides the definition for "spelunking". Eight years later the dialogue of another Goyer-scripted movie would provide the definition for "Terraforming".

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"