Batman (rebooted)

Ring Deacon

Got 6? We do.
Reaction score
About seven years ago I started writing this. It was lost since then, with the help of a friend here is the first two parts of my Batman reboot draft.

BATMAN
BY
ROBERT ELLIS

It is a sunny July day in Gotham City. And there is a party going on at Wayne Manor. It is billionaire Doctor Thomas Wayne son's birthday, and he has spared no expense. After all, you only turn ten once. Wayne family butler Alfred Pennyworth carries young Bruce's cake out to the head of the table where the young man sits surrounded by his friends… Well, two of them are his friends. The rest are all the children of his fathers business associates. Harvey Dent and Lucuis Fox have been Bruce's closest friends since they first met back in pre-school.

Children singing: Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday to you. Happy birthday, dear Bruce. Happy birthday to you.

Everyone claps as Bruce blows out his candles. Thomas smiles at his son and shares in his joy as he watches him open all his gifts. Alfred comes from behind and touches Thomas' shoulder.

Alfred: Sir, there is a Mr. Thorne here to see you.
Thomas' smile leaves his face. He was hoping that Thorne wouldn't bother him here. But Rupert Thorne never was one to respect a family’s right to a have a party for their son, with out inviting him.
Thomas: Tell Mr. Thorne I will meet him in the Study.
Alfred: Very well, Master Thomas.
Alfred goes back into the house to lead Thorne to the Wayne Study. Thomas kisses his wife Martha and excuses himself.

In the Study Rupert Thorne sits behind Thomas' desk. He is flanked by two goons in black suits. Thorne: Thomas great party. My invitation must have been lost in the mail. I hope I am not late.
Thorne places a gift on the desk.
Thorne: I trust that Bruce is a Knights fan. This is a game worn jersey from Dexter Irons himself.
Thomas: You do your homework. Irons is Bruce's hero. Thank you. But why are you really here?
Thorne smiles as he stands and walks over to Thomas.
Thorne: That’s what I like about you, Wayne. You don't pull any punches. Straight and too the point. You are a powerful man in Gotham almost as powerful as me. And I don't see why we shouldn't work together. The two of us could make a lot of money and pretty much own the whole city.
Thomas: I don't work with or for killers.
Thorne: A killer? Wayne you got me all wrong. You really shouldn't believe what you see in the news. I am a simple business man like you. The only killing I do is at the stock market.
Thomas: You killed my partner for wanting to testify against you in the Stern murders. I know you are here to pay me off. In case you didn't notice, I don't need your money.
Thorne: But you may need my friendship.
Before Thomas can respond Martha rushes in. She is in a panic.
Martha: Tom its Bruce he fell into a hole in the field! It too deep and dark too see him.
Thomas gets up and rushes out; he doesn't hear Thorne’s protests. Thorne turns to one of his goons.
Thorne; I want Wayne taken care of get one of our boys from the west end to take care of it.
Goon: Yes, sir.

It is dark. Only a speck of light from the hole some 20 feet above helps to cast some light on Bruce as he slowly gets up. He knows he is lucky to be alive. He'll be even luckier if his father doesn't kill him for going in to the field he told him not to. They are under mining out there Bruce and there are caves all over. It is far too dangerous to play there till we get a clean fill. But Bruce was never one to listen.
Something rustles in the vast darkness. The sound of wings flapping in the darkness. The sound get closer and become much louder. And it is no longer the sound of many wings. Bruce now realizes that it is one great big thing. He crouches as the giant bat swoops down at him. Bruce screams. Before the bat can make another pass someone grabs him and he is puled up from the cave. As he rises up he sees his fathers face, as he holds tight to his son. Thomas is scared for his son.
They crawl out of the hole and dust themselves off. Thomas hugs his son, and then he lets him have it.
Thomas: How many times do I have to tell you, Bruce? I told you to stay out of this place and you never listen. Don't you know you could have died?

Bruce holds his head low. And holds back a tear.
Bruce: But dad. We were bored.
Thomas: Bored! Bruce, if you were bored you have plenty to do inside the house. You practically have a toy store in your room, and our game room rivals any arcade in the world. How could you be bored?
Bruce: Well I just was trying to have some fun and show the guys the neat cave we have.
Thomas can see his is getting no where with his son. And sends him to his room. The party guests leave one by one. Bruce watches from his window as Harvey and Luscious leave with their parents.

Some time later Alfred comes in with a plate of cookies and a glass of milk. He sits down by Bruce, and puts and arm around him.
Alfred: Master Bruce, you must not be so angry at you father he is only looking out for what is best for you.
Bruce: I know Alfred. I was just trying to be cool by not following the rules for once.
Alfred: But, young sir, it is not rules you father are trying to instill in you. It is discipline. Some day you will understand that.
Bruce: But he makes me so mad. Some times I wish he wasn't around. Some times I wish he was dead.
Alfred: MASTER BRUCE, you should never talk like that. Your father loves you very much and I know you love him. I also know he is your hero and you want so badly to impress him. Let me tell you a secret. He is very impressed by you. And very proud.
Bruce looks at Alfred and smiles. He takes one of the cookies and dunks it in his milk. Then takes a bite.
Bruce: You know Alfred, You are my best friend. What would I do with out you?
Alfred: Probably have more friends your own age. But thank you young sir, I am very fond of you too.

Two weeks have past. The Wayne family is out on the town. Thomas was going to go to a business dinner, but he figures his son and wife are far more important then work. So they are going to the movies. The Rex theatre is showing The Mark of Zorro. Bruce has been begging to see the movie. And when they pull up to the theatre Bruce’s eyes light up.
Bruce: Dad! You remembered!
Thomas: What kind of father would I be if I didn't know who my son's heroes were?
Alfred lets them out of the Rolls.
Alfred: Are you sure you don't want me to pick you back up here sir?
Thomas: Alfred, we will be fine. You are having a dinner date of your own tonight with Leslie Tompkins. And she is only a few block from here. We are more then able to walk over and meet you there.
Alfred: very well sir.
Alfred reluctantly leaves the Wayne family and drives off. Thomas, Martha and Bruce enter the theatre.
When the show is over, they leave. They all have big smiles on their faces. But none is bigger then Bruce's. Thomas and Martha watch their son pretend to sword fight with the Spanish solders.

Bruce: I am Zorro! Hero to the people of California!
Thomas: ha ha. Go get them son.
Thomas takes his wife by the hand and motions for Bruce to follow.
Thomas: Let’s take a short cut through the alley. Leslie’s house is on the other side of this block.
They walk down the alley. It is dark but not so dark that they don't see the man at the end of the alley.
Joe Chill is a petty thief. The biggest job he ever pulled was when he robbed Krispy Kream on 45th street. But tonight he sees a big score. Thomas Wayne is the riches man in Gotham next to Throne. He pulls his gun.
Chill: Gimme your wallet and your watch. (He sees Martha's pearls) And that necklace. Do it now and no one gets hurt!
Thomas steps in front of his wife. And tries to talk to Chill.
Chill grabs for the necklace. Thomas goes for chill's gun. Chill fires.
Thomas drops to the ground. Martha screams Chill shoots her too. Chill turns his gun towards Bruce. But before he can fire. He hears police sirens. Chill lowers his gun and tips his hat to Bruce.
Chill: Seeya around kid.
Chill runs off leaving Bruce with his murdered parents. Alfred and Leslie run out of her house when they see Bruce standing with the police near his dead father and mother. A Young Lt, named James Gordon is talking to him.
Gordon: Do you know the man that did this son?
Bruce doesn't answer.
Gordon: I want you to know we are going to get the man who did this. Do you have any family you can stay with?
Bruce: Alfred is my family. He is my best friend.
Alfred runs over to Bruce. Bruce puts his arms around Alfred.
Bruce: I didn't mean it Alfred! I didn't want them to die.
Alfred: I know sir. I know.

Bruce wakes up in his bedroom. It is the dream again. The same one he has had for fifteen years now. In the twenty years since his parent’s death, he has spent his life training to avenge what happened. He has promised that this will never happen to anyone ever again.
Alfred walks out of the kitchen holding a large platter. On it are various breakfast items, a pitcher of grapefruit juice, a plate of bacon and eggs, and toast. Under Alfred’s arm is the Gotham Times. He walks across the Dinning room, to where Bruce is just getting seated. The room is not as big as the main dinning area, but it is larger then most people would have in their own homes. The table is in front of a big bay window overlooking the field where Bruce encountered the bat. He hasn’t been out there since that day. He pours himself a coffee from the pot Alfred has left for him earlier.

Alfred: Ah. Good morning Master Bruce. I was just going to come and wake you. I Trust you slept well?
Bruce: As well I could old man. I had that dream again.
Alfred: Sir I hope I am not being too forward as to say, perhaps you should see some one about the dreams. They seem to be getting worse now that you have returned from your journeys.

Bruce has traveled the world studying crime fighting from all of the top agencies in the world. The CIA, FBI, Interpol, and various mercenaries are all a part of his training. The mercenaries taught him what the law wouldn’t teach him. And that is when he knew he could never work by those rules if he was to reach his goal. And why should he? The man that killed his parents followed no rules. The training that stuck out the most was the most resent. He spent over a year in a Sho Len Temple studying martial arts. His teacher didn’t want him to leave he feared the Bruce was headed down a path that would lead to his own end. He told Bruce he must now unlearn what he had been taught. So that he would never use that which he now knows. Bruce left anyway. And now he was home. Now ready, to start his war on crime.

Bruce: Alfred did anyone ever tell you, you worry like a woman?
Alfred: Well it comes from having to be both a mother and father to you.
In the Wayne’s will Alfred was named Guardian of Bruce.
Bruce: I was kidding. And you did a great job. You have done so much for me. Sometimes I forget how much.
Later they are in the Rolls on the way to Wayne Industries. The company has grown so much since Thomas’ death. He would be proud of what Bruce has done with it. Well not just Bruce’s Uncle Allen ran things for a while, but when he passed 5 years ago Luscious took over. And he has done an outstanding job. Bruce in his travels when he wasn’t training set up new accounts and various different contacts around the world. Making Wayne Industries one of the world leaders in technological advances.
Alfred: I trust every thing is ok sir?
Bruce has been staring blankly out the window for some time now.
Bruce: Everything is fine Alfred. I was just thinking. Tonight will be as good as any to start what I have been training for my whole life.
Alfred still very worried about Bruce.
Alfred: Sir…perhaps maybe you should take Commissioner Gordon up on his offer. He always said you would make a great detective.

Bruce: We have discussed this. Police have to follow rules. I can’t do that.
Alfred: (even more worried) very well sir.
Bruce walks through the lobby of his company greeting everyone as he walks to the elevator. As the doors open, he passes two secretaries on their way out. The women comment to each other, about Bruce.

Shelly: So I guess the boy millionaire finally wants to work. Rich bastard probably will want to downsize everything now.
Rebecca: (as she stares at Bruce and almost walks in to a wall) He can downsize on me any day.

They don’t know Bruce heard them.
Bruce: Well Becky maybe some other time. I have a company to run you know.

The two women’s jaws drop, as the elevator doors close on a smiling Bruce Wayne.

Bruce enters a large research room. There are about twenty or so men and women working on various projects. Two seem to be working on a new type of body armor. They take turns using various weapons on a test dummy dressed in the armor.
Researcher #1: Mr. Wayne! You should really see this thing in action. Not even armor piercing bullets can get through this. I think it is ready to send to Washington for use in the military.
Researcher #2: Yes but some acids still burn through it. I think we need to ad more Kevlar.
Bruce: Well do whatever needs to be done and have it on my desk by next week.

Bruce sees others working other projects. Most of which are none lethal weapons that his company is working on for the Pentagon. He visits with each researcher and gives his input where needed. He exits at the far side of the room and goes up a private elevator to a penthouse three floors above the business section of his building. Bruce spent a lot of time here while going to Gotham U. But now it has become just a home away from home. When he gets really over worked he stays here for the night so not to have Alfred have to come out at all hours of the night. In that respect he has used it for more then a few dates over the years.
But today he is here for something else. Bruce walks over to a wall sized picture of his parents. He lowers his head as if he is praying.
Bruce: Tonight is the night. I will avenge what happened to you. I will make sure it never happens again. Jim did what he could father, but he still has yet to find your killer. I promise you I’ll find him someday. I promise you will not have died in vain.

Outside the Gotham Laugh Shack Jack Napier is being forcibly thrown out by a gorilla of a man. Jack knocks over a Gotham Times box as he it’s the ground. Jack a tall lanky man with a head of wavy black hair brushes off his suit and yells back at the bouncer.

Jack: You know what the problem is Bruno? Your boss Thorne can’t understand my humor, if he’d just give me another chance. I know I could be the best headliner in town.

Bruno: Jack come on. Don’t make me get violent with ya’s. I likes ya. I thinks your funny. But the boss is the boss. Just move along and don’t make trouble for you self.

Jack sighs and starts to walk away. Under his breath he says.
Jack: And I think it is funny how you butcher the English language. I likes ya’s too Bruno! Ha Ha!
Jack walks off leaving Bruno scratching his head.
Bruno: Funny guy. But very strange sometimes.

Bruce is at home flipping through the channels trying to find some breaking news. He stops for a minute at a GWF Monday night show. On the screen are Rebecca Tanke a very well built woman who Bruce thinks looks like she should be a runway model. With her Is Rodney Tanke her uncle and a legend of wrestling that Bruce remembers cheering as a boy. He settles in and watches their promo.

Rebecca holds up a picture of Waylon Jones “the Killer Croc. Croc is a man of about 7 feet in height and over 400lbs. He is covered in scales like a lizard. Croc was born a freak and sold to the circus by his parents at birth. The circus later sold him to GWF. The man is a virtual slave.
The next shot to pop up on the screen has a fairly old wrestler (he looks like he's in his late forties, maybe older) standing in front of a "Gotham City Wrestling" logo. Black chopped hair, thin moustache, a little facial hair, and a silver and black wrestling singlet mark his appearance. Standing next to him, over a half foot shorter, but still looking around the six inch mark, is a much younger redheaded female, decked out in a simple red shirt and jeans. She gestures with a leather gloved hand as she talks. The onscreen words mark her as Rebecca Tanke, and him as A. Rodney Tanke.
Rebecca: Anyway, Uncle Rodney, but you really need to take a look at this guy. This man's a freak.
Rebecca holds up a picture of Killer Croc. Ace obliges, taking a look at the picture.
Rodney: Yeah, he's tough, alright, but Ol' Ace has more than a few cards up his sleeve.
(Rebecca doesn't seem to share his confidence.)
Rebecca: Yeah, but I'm really worried here. He's hurt almost half his opponents so far. Hell, Steve Alta hasn't wrestled since their last match, and that was like two months ago! Hey, I'm no Alta fan here, and he probably deserved it, but . . .

Alfred walks in to find Bruce watching wrestling.
Alfred: I see you have taken up studio wrestling again sir? So how is Lou Thez these days sir?
Bruce: Just seeing what is of old man. Stopped for a minute when I saw Ace was still around. I have no interest in over grown men who run around in tights and fight killer clowns and evil masterminds.
Alfred: Very well sir. So I take it you will be staying in tonight, and putting this, vigilante justice behind you?
Be fore Alfred can finish a new break comes on. Paul Boden GBS nightly news caster is on the screen.
Paul: We have breaking news of a riot on the west end of Gotham City. Police seem unable to contain the crowd of people that started rioting over an hour ago. Witnesses say it all started when a prostitute slapped her pimp. And neo surfer gang members joined in by beating down the pimps, mob goodfellas. We will keep you updated as we get more information.
Alfred: My god! This is terrible. Master Bruce please don’t go to this…
But when Alfred turns his head Bruce is already gone. Alfred sighs and walks out of the room.
Alfred: Well I better get the bandages ready.

The riot is slowly being contained by the police now. But some gang members are still fight among themselves. Bruce dressed on jeans a sweatshirt and ski mask takes out two quickly with a round house kick. He fights his way through the crowd, until he comes face to face with Selina Kyle. Selina is a woman of about 5’9” in height and she very beautiful. Bruce is awestruck by her. She fights like she should be in the ring. She takes out four men by herself. She sees Bruce staring at her. Bruce is about to be hit from behind by a gang member with a pipe. Selina does a quick thrust kick towards Bruce’s head missing him and hitting the guy behind him.

Selina: You know handsome, if you want a date next time wait till I am on duty. As you can see I am a little busy now.

Bruce shakes off his daze and restarts the fight as he is attacked once again but now by mob members with gang members. He is over powered and has to retreat. This isn’t what he thought it would be. As he runs down an alley to where his car is on the next block, he sees the SWAT team come in and put a quick stop to the riot. Tear gas fills the street, as the rioters are slowly over come and subdued by the SAWT team and police. At the middle of it all Commissioner James Gordon barks orders.

Bruce staggers in to his study back at the manor. It wasn’t till he sat down in the car that he knew how badly he was beaten at the riot. And looking at him self in the full length mirror he sees that he is covered in cuts and bruises. He is bleeding very badly from about four places on his face. And he has been stabbed in the side.
Alfred comes rushing in after hearing Bruce fall on the floor of the study.
Alfred: Master Bruce!

Hours later Bruce is sitting in a high backed chair in front of a large window that is split into four sections. One of which is slightly open. The moon is full and its light fills the room with a blue glow. Bruce looks up at a painting of his father that hangs over a stone fireplace. The fire Alfred had made is now dieing down to a light glow of red embers. As Bruce looks on his fathers face he says.

Bruce: I have failed you. I see that I can’t fight them. It is going to be too hard. These evil men don’t care who they hurt or how. Father please tell me what I have to do. I can’t do this alone.
As Bruce talks to his long dead father, a gentle wind blows into the room. The cool night air knocks over a book that is sitting on an end table next to Bruce’s chair. It is a book on criminal psychology, written by his father. Bruce pucks up the book and read the chapter heading that the book has opened up to.
Bruce: Criminals are a cowardly and suspicious lot.
Just then the wind grows stronger and throws open the windows. They shatter as they hit the wall. In the moon light Bruce sees something flying towards him. Something he has seen before. At giant bat flies into the room Bruce is startled and falls backwards in his chair. He regains his footing and stands too see the bat hanging from the frame of his fathers painting. Bruce knows this is the sign he has asked for.

Bruce: Thank you father. I know now what I need to do. Criminals are a cowardly and suspicious lot. I will strike fear into their hearts. I will become a bat.

Bruce is at his companies building in the research lab where the weapons research is being done. He is talking to the head of research.
Bruce: I want you to restart the program. I have talked to our buyers in Washington and they don’t like what they see.
Head of research: But Mr. Wayne, we have spent six years on this project. And it will be complete in a week. I think what we have is more then adequate for the Pentagon’s needs.
Bruce: I am just relaying the message. Put what you have made in my vault in the basement and I will have it disposed of. And I will fund you with another 14 million to restart from scratch.
The head of research tries to say something in his defense. But is cut off by Bruce
Bruce: and tell payroll to give you and your team a 15% raise.
The head of research now smiles and leaves to tell his team the news. Bruce turns and exits to his private elevator. Inside he dials his cell phone.
Bruce: Alfred, do still have that friend in the moving business number? (pause) Very well then tell him I need to rent one of his truck for then night. Pick it up and meet me in the vault garage at the foundation building tonight. (pause) I have to bring home a few things. (pause) Is every thing ready in the cave? (pause) Good job old friend. I’ll see you tonight.
The elevator doors open to the penthouse. Bruce exits and walks out on the balcony.
Bruce: Tonight father. Those who commit crimes will know fear. They will learn that they no longer will own the night. The night will belong to Batman!

End of part one.

Part Two

Jack Napier starving comic by night, works at Axis Chemical Plant by day. His job (which he hates) is as a chemical engineer, over seeing the development of personal hygiene products. Not as exciting as what he applied for (chemical weapons research at Wayne Industries). But he failed their psychological profile test. Delusions of grander it said, combined with homicidal tendencies.

Jack: Maybe I shouldn’t have told them about killing small animals when I was young. (Jack says under his breath)

Carl: What’s that Jacky? Carl is Jack’s supervisor. Carl Winston is a short pear shaped man of Irish decent who drinks too much and from what Jack feels rarely bathes. Jack: Oh nothing Carl. I was just thinking out loud.

Carl: Well Jacky boy that’s ok. You seem stressed out today. Why don’t you cut out early?

Jack: No that will be ok Carl. I’ll stay. I have gone home early everyday this week. I got a family to raise. I want to make up for the time I have missed.

Carl: wish I could help you Jacky boy. But you are part time after all. And I have dollars per man hour to worry about.

Jack sees that he is not going to talk Carl into any thing. Carl is always overly nice to Jack. Jack knows it is because he is smarter then Carl who only has his job because his father owns the place along with Rupert Thorne. He walks out muttering to him self.

Jack: Ya ya. I wish I could help you Jacky. Ya sure, I know you wife is expecting. But what do you want me to do? Give up $500 a week? Why that would mean I would have only make $800 a week. And we can’t have that can us Jacky boy? Carl just watches Jack walk out talking to himself and shakes his head.

Carl: Damn psycho. I don’t need my employees talking to themselves. What would the investors say?

Carl picks up the phone and calls down to the main gate.

Carl: Tony! Stop Jack on his way out and give him his pink slip. Meanwhile the door to Bruce Wayne’s office opens an a well dressed bald man walks out with a scowl on his face. He is very upset with what ever happened in the office. Lex pushes his way past Commissioner Gordon as he leaves.

Gordon: Excuse me. The man says nothing to Gordon, but gives him a glance up and down like how dare someone as low as a police commissioner talk to him. The bald man leaves as the secretary says.

Secretary: Have a nice day Mr. Luthor.

Gordon: That was “the” Lex Luthor, From Metropolis?

Secretary: Why yes it was Commissioner. He was just had a meeting today with Mr. Wayne. Some sort of merger from what I hear.

Gordon: I see. Gordon smiles and lets himself into Bruce’s office.

Bruce has his back turned to the door but he still replies.

Bruce: Jim I am glad you could make it.

Gordon is a bit taken a back but says back. Gordon: You know some day you’ll have to tell me how you do that. I wish I could tell who was walking into a room before I see them. It would come in handy when I need to hide from Sarah. Bruce shares a laugh with his old friend. He extends his hand and Jim shakes it.

Bruce: So what brings you today Jim?

Gordon: Well I am here to invite you to a party. Barbara graduated from Gotham U today. And she has asked me to personally invite the man who made it possible for her to go.

Bruce: I’ll be there with bells on. But if you’ll excuse me I have an important meeting to attend.

Gordon: That’s fine don’t let me keep you. But before you go, what is the deal with Lex Luthor?

Bruce: Oh that. Well lets just say Lex is a sore loser. He offered me $300,000,000 for Wayne Industries. And I told him no.

Bruce and Gordon wish each other well as Bruce leaves by way of the south elevator and Gordon the north one.

Night has fallen over the city, as a dark shadow moves about the roof top of Mellon Square. Far bellow on the street an Rat-a-Go van pulls up to the front door. Not an unusual site on most nights. But Rat-a-Go went out of business four years ago. So something is not right about this from the get go. And with Mellon Square being the heart of Gotham City’s financial district, something is big is going down. Two men get out of the back of the van. They are dressed all in black. The smaller of the two men is Robbie D, a small time hustler from Park Row. With him is Security Jones, a former bouncer and at one time was head of Security here at Mellon Square. Last week he was fired, and he is back for a bit of revenge. Robbie D rushes up to the door, with Security in tow.

RD: You sure they didn’t change the pass codes?

Sec: Look these guys are brain dead they haven’t changed them is ten years. Why would they now.

RD: aren’t they afraid they might get robbed?

Sec: (laughing) Maybe no one was smart enough to try before.

Sec opens the door quickly turns off the alarm and the two men run over to the vault. They fill their bags up. And run back out to their van where Mikey D is waiting for them. Well is was waiting for them when they went inside. But the driver’s seat is empty.

RD: Damnit Mike! Where are you? Sec: maybe he had to take a leak in the alley. The two men walk over to the near by alley and call for Mikey. He doesn’t answer.

RD: Where did that little bastard go? To hell with him let’s leave.

Sec: Rob, I know where he is.

RD: You do? Where?

Sec points to the light post. Hanging fifteen feet above the ground is Mikey D. He is bound and gagged. Robbie and Sec look at each other. Both men are very scared now. They think the cops are here. They turn to run. A noise from above startles them. Something big is swooping down from above, something that looks like a giant bat. The men’s fear becomes greater as Robbie’s lips begin to quiver, and sweat pours off his face. Both men’s hearts pound so hard they think their chest’s will burst.

Sec: What the hell is that?!

RD: Shoot it! I don’t care what it is.

Sec pulls his gun and fires as Batman hits the ground. The bullets seem to have no affect on him. Sec empties his gun then throws it at Batman. Robbie has taken off down the street, running for his life. Batman pulls something from his belt that looks like a series of ropes with steel ball bearings attached. Batman quickly throws the bolo at Robbie and wraps it around his legs. Robbie D falls face first to the street breaking his nose. Sec runs at Batman and tries to tackle him. Batman side steps Sec and Sec’s head goes crashing through the side of the van. When the police arrive the three men are tied together to the lamp post. An over weight detective gets out of his car and walks over to the men. He hears then babbling something.

Sec: A bat!, giant bat. RD: he isn’t human. It was a bat I tell ya.

Mikey: Don’t let him get me. Take me to jail please. It will be safer there. A female detective gets out from the other side of the fat detective’s car. She walks over to see her partner rounding up the men.

Montoya: What are they talking about Bullock?

Bullock: If ya ask me these guys are drinking Draino.

This is the fourth bat sighting this week. Renee Montoya laughs with her partner as they load the men into the back of the car. And drive off. On a side street Batman fades into the darkness. The GNN news room is a buzz with various reports about today’s news, weather and sports. Paul Boden is seated in the main anchorman’s chair. He is wearing a blue suit and has short brown hair that has been slicked back. He is handed a news flash.

Paul: This just in. Police Lt Harvey Bullock and his partner Sgt Montoya apprehended three members of the Red Hood gang late last night. Bullock is quoted as saying; they are closer then ever to finding the ring leader of the gang. On a side note, there was another Batman sighting last night. Sgt Montoya says that when they arrived at Mellon Square batman had already captured the suspects. Paul chuckles and says to a red headed female anchor next to him.

Paul: You know Vikki. Either there is a major police cover up. And Sgt Montoya is seeing things. Or Gotham City has a new hero.

Vikki Vale nods in agreement. And says.

Vikki: That’s right Paul. And Gotham City haven’t had a hero here since the retirement of Allen Scott The “original” Green Lantern, twenty years ago.

Alfred is standing next to Bruce who is seated in a high back leather chair. Both men are watching the news. Alfred signs and says.

Alfred: You are becoming quite the urban legend master Bruce. Perhaps now you can hang up your cap before you get hurt.

Bruce: I know you’re worried about me. But I have to do this. If batman disappears now, he will be quickly forgotten. No I need to makes sure they remember. They will fear the night.

Jack Napier is running down the hall of a hospital ward. When he got home from work, there was a message on the machine that said there was an accident. His pregnant wife was hit by a drunk driver. Tears start streaming down his face when he enters her room and sees her unconscious, and covered in bruises and cuts. Her runs to her side and grabs her hand.

Jack: Kelly no! Please no. The doctor comes from behind Jack and pulls him aside.

Doctor: Mr. Napier, I know this is a bad time. But there is a problem with your insurance. Your wife a clot on her brain that if we don’t get to it, she may die. I am sorry to have to ask this but can you afford the surgery on your own?

Jack’s eyes fill with more tears. His heart is breaking. He knows he can afford this. But he can’t lose his family and his job all in one day.

Jack: I’ll get the money somehow. Just save her and the baby.

Doctor: We will do our best sir. Jack kisses his wife and whispers in her ear.

Jack: Please forgive me for what I do tonight. I love you so much and I will not let you just die. Not like this.

Jack gives her one last kiss and leaves. He heads down the block to Mario’s bar and grill. There, he sees a familiar face.

Bruno: JACKY!!!!

Bruno from the comedy club walks over and shakes Jack hand. He sees something is wrong. After talking to Jack about what happened with his job and wife. Bruno has an idea.

Bruno: Ya’s know Jacky, I know these guys that are coming here tonight and they can help ya’s. Have ya’s ever heard of The Red Hood Gang?

Jack: Of course. Why?

Bruno: Well these guys run it.

Jack: You mean the Red Hood is coming here tonight?

Bruno: Not exactly. But I’ll let them explain.

Jack and Bruno have a few drinks.

After about 2 hours two men come in. by the way they are dressed, and their body language it is obvious they are wise guys. They come over to Jack and Bruno’s table. One of the wise guys is Max Miller, on the street he is known as Max the Ax. He is with Willy “no nose” Denucci. Willy has with him a gym bag. The wise guys sit down with Jack and Bruno.

Bruno: This is the guys I told ya about Jack.

Jack nods to the men. Who nod back. After intros, the men get down to business.

Max: Jack I feel for you really. And I think we can help you.

Jack: And how is that?

Max: we you know the Red Hood Gang is slowly taking over this town. I will not be long before we put even Thorne out of business. We have something big planed tonight. And I am glad we met you. What we have planed is to break into Axis chemical. They have a safe in there that has over four million in it. And seeing as though you used to work there…

Jack: I know where the safe if but I don’t know the combination.

Max: That is where Willy comes in. don’t worry about the safe.

Jack: But I’ll be seen on the security cameras. They will know it was me.

Max: That is where this comes in to play.

Max takes Willy’s bag and removes what looks like a crash helmet for a cone head. It is blood red and from the looks of it has no visor to see out of. But on closer inspection the front half of the hood has a translucent red glass window.

Jack: Is that what I think it is? But what will the Hood say about me wearing it?

Max: That’s just it Jack. There isn’t a Red Hood. What we in the gang do is have different people put it on. Guys like you who need your privacy.

Jack: I don’t know guys. Where the safe is, is very dangerous. The fumes there could kill a man.

Max: The hood has a oxygen tank in it. And we’ll have gas masks. I have it all worked out. Besides, what about that wife of yours?

That was all Jack needed to hear. He reluctantly says yes.

District Attorney Harvey Dent is talking with Commissioner Gordon. Dent is all grown up now and Gotham’s youngest district attorney ever. He has become quite a handsome man. Tonight he is dressed in a navy blue suit and tie. He sips his champagne and Laughs at a witty comment made by Gordon. Gordon is dressed as usual in his tan suit that has been worn one too many times from all the wrinkles in it. Gordon’s daughter Barbara approaches them dressed in a silky black dress that comes to about her knees. Her red hair hangs down with small strands covering parts of her face in a very sexy manner Harvey hasn’t seen her is years and is in shock at what a woman she has become. Barbara hugs her dad.

Barbara: Oh daddy I love the party. Thank you so much.

Gordon: Any time sweetheart. Oh Do you remember this guy? ( he gestures to Harvey)

Barbara: Well who could forget one of Gotham’s Three Musketeers? And just where are your partners in fun?

Harvey laughs and gives Barb a hug.

Harvey: Well Luscious is out of town on business. And Bruce, well

Bruce is fashionably late as usual.

Bruce: I am? Bruce is standing behind Harvey and startles him.

Bruce always has had the habit of sneaking up on people. Barbara Gets a good laugh and throws her arms around Bruce, who swings her around before putting her back on her feet.

Barbara: Well if it isn’t Gotham’s most eligible bachelor. So Bruce who is the lady love of the night? (She winks at him)

Bruce: I’m alone tonight. Besides I want to make sure my dance card isn’t too filled up for later. I want to dance the night away with the lady of honor.

Bruce takes Barbara by the hand and leads her to the dance floor. Harvey just shakes his head in disbelief.

Harvey: (to Gordon) Are you just going to let that playboy do that to your little girl?

Gordon: Well yes I am. What’s wrong Harv, jealous?

Harvey: (stutters) N no. It is just that… How does he always do that? The guy has all the luck.

Gordon: Being a billionaire doesn’t hurt either. I wouldn’t mind calling him my son-in-law.

The two men go back to their conversation of before. Bruce and Barbara dance across the floor. A slow song starts and Barbara moves in close.

Barbara: So Bruce what have you been up to lately? I haven’t heard from you in 4 years.

Bruce: Let’s just say I have a new project that keeps me up at night.

Barbara: Oh really? (Smiling) Is she any one I know?

Renee Montoya and Harvey Bullock Rush into the room, they head straight to Commissioner Gordon. Bullock brushes off some sort of food crumbs off his rumpled coat. He takes his hat off and his hair is a mess.

Bullock: Hey we have a hot tip that the Red hood gang is going to break into Axis Chemical tonight.

Gordon: then get O’Hara and some of the boys to go down with you. This is an important night for my daughter.

Montoya: But sir. The Red Hood himself will be there tonight.

Gordon: Good Lord. This is big. I‘ll be right with you.

Gordon runs out with the detectives. He stops briefly with Barbara to tell her what is going on. She is disappointed but understands. She watches as her father leaves.

Barbara: (to Bruce) Well I guess you are going to have to be my escort tonight then Bruce.

She turns to where Bruce was but he is gone too. Now she is really sad. Dumped on her graduation. Harvey Dent comes over and puts his arm around her. He is flipping a coin.

Harvey: So Barb. Did I ever show you my good luck coin?

Barbara smiles and walks off with Harvey.

Axis Chemical is a dark dank looking building in the industrial section of town. Some say it should have been closed down years ago. But the owners keep paying off OSCA and get away with the hazards that plague Axis workers. Jack Napier and the boys from the Red Hood gang are inside the office of Carl Wilson. Willy No Nose has cracked the safe and is filling a duffle bag with money stocks and bonds. Max puts his arm around a frightened Jack.

Max: See Jacky boy. No problem. We got in here with your help and no alarm. We’ll be out of here I not time and your wife can have that surgery.

Jack is not convinced but nods in approval.

Jack: Just hurry up ok. I can’t stand the fumes here. You have no clue what kinds of things they can do to you.

Max: (laughs hard) Hey like I said no problem. We’ll be ok.

But they are not. Outside the widows the flashing red and blue light of police cars can be seen. Fifteen or so cops are there all heavily armed. Commissioner Gordon grabs a bullhorn and speaks into it.

Gordon: This is the police! We have you surrounded. Come out with your hands up and we will not open fire. There is no need for blood shed tonight.

Max pulls his gun out from under his coat and signals to three goon with machine guns. The two men break the windows and begin to fire down at the police. Two officers next to Gordon get hit and are killed. Gordon signals for his men to go in. He does see the dark shadow of Batman move in from the roof top. The Red Hood gang scatters and tries to find a way out. Leaving Jack holding the bag and alone. Jack tries to fund his own way out. He walks down the catwalk outside the office. He can here shot being fired everywhere.

Jack: Oh God no! What did I get myself into. I didn’t want this.

Jack is sweating under the hood. The fumes from two big vats penetrate his pours and filter through his hood. He knows what they are. These are two chemicals he has been working on, ones that can cause madness if ingested. He is not wearing a air mask like he should be here, but he doesn’t care he only wants out. Many of the vats have been shot up and are releasing steam and liquid. Jack works his way around the catwalk and runs straight into Batman. Batman is larger then life. His black cowl hides most of his face. But his eyes are hard and lock onto Jack.

Batman: Where do you think you are going?

Jack looks Batman up and down. It is almost funny he thinks for a man to dress as a bat. But he is too frightened to make a joke now. He turns and runs, screaming into the darkness.

Jack: No! You have the wrong guy. They set me up! I didn’t want to do this.

Batman fires a cable into the air it hit just a head of Jack. Batman hooks himself to the cable and glides down towards Jack. From Jacks view point it looks like the Bat is flying after him. Jack screams again as he looks back at the bat coming in after him.

Batman lands just inches from Jack. Napier tries to run but he is blocked by a railing. He looks down at a vat of chemicals swirling below. He then looks across at another ledge just beyond that is the door to get out. Jack thinks to himself he can make the jump. He looks back at Batman and steps over the railing and prepares to jump. Batman tries to reason with him.

Batman: You say you’re innocent, but you run. Let me help you. It doesn’t have to end like this.

Jack is going mad from the fumes. He hears the words, but through fumes haze in his mind, the meaning somehow gets twisted. He screams.

Jack: No. . don’t kill me. Please don’t kill me!

Jack jumps for the ledge. He almost makes it but the rail on the other side breaks off in his hand. He falls down towards the vat. Batman fires a cable down to try and save Jack. It goes through his coat but doesn’t wrap around Jack. Jack hits the vat with a giant splash. Batman just watches helplessly. Gordon and 3 officers walk into the area just as jack hit the vat of chemicals. Gordon sees batman out of the corner of his eyes. He can’t believe what he sees, as Batman rises up and out a sky light in the roof.

Gordon: Oh my God! He is real. A black cop hit a bottom of the vat to drain it. Maybe they can get to Jack in time. The vat drains and there is nothing but a three foot wide hole at the bottom. The Red Hood is gone with the waste and out to sea.

Gordon: I want boats out there now dragging the area out side the plant. If the Hood is alive I want him. If not, I want a body.

Cop 1: Yes, sir! The cop goes off to follow his orders. Gordon keeps looking up to where Batman was. The second officer asks.

Cop 2: And what do you want to do about Batman?

Gordon: Look Terry, keep a lid on this till we know more about him. I don’t need the media going any more nuts about this guy.

Terry agrees. And they walk off to question the rest of the gang that they captured. In a small apartment a TV has the news on. It is dark and Jack is too tired to turn on the lights. He staggers into the bathroom and over to the sink. He takes off the hood and runs water over his hair and face desperately trying to get the chemicals off of himself. He hears the TV in the background.

Paul Boden: Police tonight captured the Red Hood gang. Their infamous leader is believed to be dead. Police say it was suicide. The streets will be much safer with these men behind bars. The captured members of the gang say that the Red Hood was Jack Napier a local comedian. Police are skeptical but will investigate this. Jack hears this and laughs to himself.

Jack: They didn’t get me, he he.

The phone rings as jack rises himself off some more. As the answering machine picks up Jack listens as a doctor come on the phone.

Doctor: Mr. Napier? I am sorry to do this, this way. But we have been trying to call you all night. It is your wife. I am sorry but she died shortly after you left. You can pick up her things in the morning. I am truly sorry.

Jack starts to cry. He raises his head up and looks at himself in the mirror. His skin has been bleached bone white from the chemicals; his hair is now seaweed green. His lips have curled into a twisted smile and are blood red. He looks like a joker in a deck of cards. His cries slowly turn into laughter.

Jack: Dead. She’s dead, and so am I from what the TV says. Dead dead dead. Everyone’s dead. He he. But I am not. No not I. not the Joker! Ha ha ha ha…

end of part two

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"