Battle of the Comic Book Films Tournament(2020 Edition)

Now this match-up should be interesting, because these two films seems to almost always be neck and neck from past polls that I've seen. I enjoy both, but Shazam is slightly better IMO.

Captain Marvel.

Shazam isn't terrible but not a film for me. Plus I'm not into Billy Batson/Shazam much while even though Carol Danvers/Ms. Marvel/Captain Marvel isn't a favorite of mine..I like her more!

Last edited:
Spider-Man 3 advances.

Battle of the Djimon Hounsou Films(AKA battle of the Captian Marvels)

Captain Marvel
ow_character_1-sht_brie_v3_lg.jpg

VS

Shazam!
MV5BYTE0Yjc1NzUtMjFjMC00Y2I3LTg3NGYtNGRlMGJhYThjMTJmXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyNTI4MzE4MDU@._V1_.jpg

Shazam.

Captain Marvel should be incredibly awesome and cosmic...and somehow isn't.
Possibly because while the supporting cast do a great job, the main character comes across as if she couldn't care less - and the film's about as subtle as a sledgehammer. I love the bit where we find out everything Cap knows is a lie, and then she runs outside and shouts "EVERYTHING I KNOW IS A LIE!" I nearly fell out of my seat laughing- or the weird bit where Rambeau's kid tells her mom that it's okay to go on a super risky mission, because helping your friends is important ( and clearly she's okay with possibly being an orphan).

Shazam is goofy, and fun, and does the business, so it gets my vote.

Shazam

I'm leaning towards Shazam because it feels like a David Sanberg film through and through, with his sensibilities shining through, whereas Captain Marvel lacks any directorial style. It's one of the weaker MCU films for me.

Wow. I prefer DC characters in general over Marvel. And Billy Batson and Shazam are among my favorites. But while I liked both movies, I think I have to go with Captain Marvel. The tone of Shazam was kind of awkward. Shazam was more childish than Billy, and the whole film seemed to turn from slapstick silly fun to shocking horror to borderline awkwardly raunchy pretty quickly. I did love the foster care themes in it. My adopted son really appreciated Shazam because of the way it helped him cope with issues of abandonment. But we all agreed that overall, Captain Marvel is a little bit better because it is tonally consistent.

Lol I hope Endgame gets this by the landslide, because I honestly don't see how it doesn't. I mean is there really anyone out there who preferred DP over EG?

I haven't seen Endgame yet (and can't vote), but it's entirely possible in my case. I enjoyed Dark Phoenix and don't like the first three Avengers films, and especially Infinity War.

After how disappointing Apocalypse was I honestly have no desire to really ever see Dark Phoenix. Maybe if it pops up on basic cable like TNT or FX I'll finally give it a look, but until then I'm in no rush and that's sad IMO considering how strong this franchise started off with First Class and DOFP.

I want to vote for Endgame so bad but I haven't seen Dark Phoenix.

It's the first X-men movie I haven't watched.

Endgame. No contest. Dark Phoenix was a complete mess.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"