Ben Affleck Confirms Live By Night as His Next Feature

http://variety.com/2016/film/in-contention/live-by-night-ben-affleck-oscars-academy-awards-1201919954/

Affleck said, both before the event and during a post-screening Q&A, that the idea for him was blending a throwback vibe with modern energy. And that’s fitting: In Lehane’s novel, Affleck has found a gangster yarn akin to the ’30s and ’40s genre pictures that inspired him, but one with a fresh face. It moves from the Depression-hit Boston metropolis to the melting pot of Tampa, Florida (filmed largely in Georgia), giving Affleck’s below-the-line team a rich opportunity.

“This is the first movie I’ve made that was really constructed on purpose,” Affleck said. “I wanted it to feel classic, like it could have been made in the ’70s or even the ’40s, not doing too much cutting, not having very tight close-ups, allowing scenes to play and giving the actors space to play across the frame. But also we’re aware of contemporary audiences’ acclimation. The grammar of film is different now. So it was a challenge.”

The images in the film are “a little wider, a little more stately” than typical modern coverage, Goldenberg said. “Often I’m cutting because I’m trying to impose an energy or a style or a story, but there was so much richness in the images, it allowed me to cut in a more traditional way.”

Lehane’s story is simplistic, but it provides a foundation on which Affleck can build something romantic. And that’s what he appears to have delighted in doing; he said before the screening that “Live By Night” is his favorite experience as a director so far.

“[It used to be] a big, crowd-pleasing, punchy, sexy movie was one with costumes and extras and production design that was going to show you a different world,” he said. “Now a blockbuster — you have to wear a cape … not that I have anything against capes.”

^ Love all that.

The movie will get lots of tech nominations, also word going around is that Chris Cooper, Chris Messina and Sienna Miller are going to be nominated for Supporting roles.

BTDub, Live by Night screened to critics on 16th Nov and the review embargo will lift on Dec. 21.

BTDub has to be the least useful piece of slang I've ever encountered.

http://www.awardsdaily.com/2016/11/17/ben-affleck-takes-big-leap-forward-director-live-night/

Last night, Ben Affleck showed Live By Night (another movie under strict embargo) to a few assembled critics. It has been showing around town in the weeks prior, as reported by Kris Tapley and Steve Pond. Both writers say the film is strong on techs – especially production design and costumes but I felt that it was also strong on writing, directing, and acting, with Sienna Miller as a particular standout.

Okay, you have to be a person who loves mob and gangster movies. I happen to be one of those. Give me a choice of watching that kind of movie and an intimate character drama I’m going to go for the mob movie every time. I’m trying to write about this without writing about it but just to say if you were a fan of The Town and Gone by Gone Affleck is in that kind of territory here, and not so much in Argo territory. I’ve been a fan of his directing for a while now – even if I did ride Argo pretty hard. A lot of that had to do with the fact that I thought he was so much better than that movie, as entertaining as it is.

At any rate, Live by Night is meticulously directed, with every shot carefully considered and mapped out beforehand. That makes it right off the bat my kind of movie. Look, the bottom line is that Affleck is a talented director. He’s even a better director than he is an actor and he’s a good actor. Whatever that thing is that some people have behind the camera he has it. And this film, I think, showcases that.

Kyle Buchanan from Vulture

http://www.vulture.com/2016/11/ben-afflecks-live-by-night-an-oscar-contender.html

Live By Night. Affleck's follow-up to his Oscar-winning Argo is still unusually embargoed: No reviews or social-media reactions are permitted until a few days before its Christmas release date, though I've been told that the film is okay to discuss in the context of awards-season spitballing. So let me see if I can get away with saying that this handsomely mounted gangster movie is likely to be a major contender in below-the-line categories — the production design, cinematography, and costumes are all standouts — though it asserts itself more as a box-office play than an Oscar sure shot.

Ben Affleck, Live By Night. For someone who's won two Academy Awards, it's a little surprising that Affleck has never been nominated for an acting Oscar. His brother Casey is certain to be in contention this year for Manchester by the Sea, but the elder Affleck is an awfully magnanimous leading man when he directs himself: In Live By Night, as with his other films both behind and in front of the camera, Affleck is content simply to play the straight man while supporting actors flit in and out with scene-stealing turns.

Sienna Miller, Live By Night. After years of decorative, trimmed-down, or simply overlooked work, Miller is starting to really come into her own as an actress, and she's got a very striking role in Live By Night as a gangster's moll with a rude Irish accent and irresistible, give-no-****s temperament. The movie leaves you wanting more of her, though sometimes when it comes to Oscar contention, it's better to have too much rather than not enough.

He doesn't include the movie or any of its actors into his current Oscar predictions.

Kris Tapley from Variety (an Affleck fan) moved the movie from 6 to 17 in Best Picture predictions, moved the Best Adapted Screenplay to 12 and replaced it with Arrival the Top 5 and put Affleck to 7 in Best Director and 15 in Best Actor, Sienna Miller to 16 in Best Supporting Actress and Chris Cooper and Chris Messina to 12 and 25 in Best Supporting Actor predictions. Production Design and Costume Design are at 1, Cinematography is 2, Editing is 4.

http://variety.com/2015/film/in-contention/oscar-predictions-oscars-academy-awards-1201600870/

It's hard to judge films solely by trailers, but since that's all we have at the moment, they were indeed poorly put together. The trailers lacked focus and a real conflict at the heart of them. The visuals look nice - although far too fetishized for my taste. His other works, like Gone Baby Gone and The Town, have a much more grounded visual flair.

I wish Affleck the best, I think he is a better director than actor.

just 1 man's opinion but his tweet seems incredibly hyperbolic "it's one of the year's worst movies" you mean worse than :

Independence Day Resurgence
Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice
Warcraft
Alice Through the Looking Glass
The Huntsman: Winter's War
Zoolander 2
The 5th Wave

It is hyperbolic, but I had a feeling that this film might've been eh. Someone mentioned that the trailers are beautiful, but really unfocused. Usually the second trailer is about the story (in most cases). All I know that the film involves mobsters and Cuba.

Yeah, the trailers looked nice but I have to admit nothing's really grabbed my attention with this film. Nothing's made me go, "Wow, I need to see this."

Last edited:
If this is bad... Idk but damn really 3 bad movies in a year Ben?

At least they made money

I think this looks good. Not as good as his other movies but still good.

I'm holding out hope because the book is very good and Affleck's a great director but if this disappoints...

2016 ya'll.

Cy8AdVgVEAE0kSS.jpg

Not sure what's more hyperbolic, the tweet or people coming to a conclusion on film's prospects based on that one tweet by someone I'm guessing few of us have even heard of prior to seeing it.

It doesn't mean the movie is doomed. But the film is a hard one to read. It looks nice though, with a great cast.

You can tell who the cinematographer is by looking at that poster.

From what I remember the book is like that that to:
I covers a pretty long period of time and goes to multiple different locations and has a pretty large cast of characters and several plot-lines/character arcs. "Sprawling" would be a good way to describe it.

Batman doesn't use guns.

:argh:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"