Ben Affleck Signs Onto The Company Men

Hunter Rider

Ronin
Staff member
Reaction score
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=23305
Directed by ER's producer John Wells
Source: The Hollywood Reporter

Carlsberg don’t do comebacks, but if they did, they’d look a lot like Ben Affleck’s.

For, after some time in the wilderness, Mr. Jennifer Garner has been extraordinarily busy of late. He stepped in to fill Edward Norton’s shoes in State Of Play, then moved onto prepping his next directorial vehicle, The Town (which he will also star in), as well as bagging a supporting role in Mike Judge’s new comedy, Extract.

And now he’s added another starring role to that little list, in John Wells’ The Company Men.

It’s early days yet for the drama, which had been stationed at Warners and is now looking for a new home, but Affleck looks set to play a man who is laid off at work and must struggle to keep his head above water as the bills mount up at home.

So it’s clearly very timely in the quote-unquote current climate. The only question will be: if things carry on the way, will anyone a) want to see a movie reflecting their economic struggle, and b) be able to afford to buy a ticket?

The movie will be written, produced and directed by Wells, who’s been the executive producer of ER since the show started in 1994. Clearly, with it coming to an end this season, he feels it’s time to get behind the camera on a movie set.

And if you’re wondering why the title is plural, not singular, a second male lead has yet to be cast.

Sounds a bit dull compared with the other stuff Affleck is attached to but maybe it will surprise.

Costner and Jones are Company Men

Costner, Jones are 'Company Men'
Actors join independent drama starring Affleck
By MICHAEL FLEMING

Kevin Costner and Tommy Lee Jones are set to star in "The Company Men," an independently financed drama about the impact that a corporate downsizing has on both its casualties and survivors. They join Ben Affleck, who was set last fall.

John Wells wrote the script and will direct. Production begins in April in Boston.

Wells, Claire Rudnick Polstein and Paula Weinstein are producing. Barbara Hall is exec producer.

Affleck plays a corporate hotshot whose Porsche and six-figure salary vanish after he gets laid off. Costner plays his brother-in-law, a salt-of-the-earth drywall installer who gives him a construction job.

Jones plays a senior partner in the firm, a principled man who struggles with the greedy actions of his partners.

Costner takes the role as he works to set up "The One," a film he will direct from a script he penned with "Dances With Wolves" writer Michael Blake, based on an idea by Blake. Costner will star as a free-spirited man who inherits $3 billion, leading him on an adventure and an eventual collision with pirates in the Cayman Islands.

Jones is working on a directing project as well, talking to financiers about "Islands in the Stream," an adaptation of the Ernest Hemingway tale that Jones wrote, will direct, star in and produce through his Javelina Film Co. banner.

Cool additions, I couldn't find this thread to add that article, nice one Donnie. :D :up:

who knows...he might even get a oscar nod for the role....The acedemy loves crap like this.

Plus....Affleck has already has his comeback...He got rave reviews for the Superman bio-pic role and his directorial debut in gone baby gone...and was in the number 1 movie...He's just not that into you.

Glad to see the Fleck back.... Bring on DD2 and a Jack Ryan sequel (holds my breath)

Looks a little sappy.

So I'm guessing in the end Tommy Lee Jones splits off from the company and starts a brand new one with Affleck and Cooper.

Looks a little sappy.

So I'm guessing in the end Tommy Lee Jones splits off from the company and starts a brand new one with Affleck and Cooper.

Between The Company Men and The Town, Affleck will have a pretty good year.

Should be a hit with the middle aged and older men.

While it does look like Oscar bait, the performance look pretty good from what I've seen....Affleck looks to have a good year ahead of him.

I finally got curious enough to watch the trailer and it was really good. Affleck is killing it this year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"