Bendis interviews Liefeld

so... whats all this internet crap about liefeld? whats he supposed to have said??

MyPokerShirt said:
so... whats all this internet crap about liefeld? whats he supposed to have said??

Really stupid stuff. Like how people are jealous of his creation of Cable among other things.

well... didnt they rename cable's book for a while so they didnt have to pay so many royalties or something? or is that just one of those rumours?

ok, another interview-related question: the heroes reborn world - is it an actual parallel universe or another world? because i thought when franklin ccreated it, he like put it on the other side of the sun in the 616 universe or something. so its actually there still for everyone to see. dunno where i heard that, but i did :)lol

I thought it originally was it's own universe, seeing how it had it's own Galactus and such. But God knows anymore.

Oh yeah. And I still dislike Liefield.

Dude that was a good interview...and Bendis has alot in common with Rob..they probably get bashed just as much.

Of course my sig reveils that i am a Rob liefeld fan.

I think people would hate him less if he was a more honest bad artist. But it's that he's ripped off so much of so many peoples' artwork that he's earned a reputation as the worst artist ever.

I mean, Todd McFarlane's proportions and anatomy are just as bad as Liefeld's on a whole and he's got this pompous attitude about himself, but people love him. Because he's honest about how bad he is at drawing people. He doesn't rip off other peoples' work.

MyPokerShirt said:
well... didnt they rename cable's book for a while so they didnt have to pay so many royalties or something? or is that just one of those rumours?
Nope, that's a rumour.

I certainly don't hate Liefeld. I've never met him, and according to some around here who have, he's a pretty decent guy.

Now, his artwork is atrocious. But those are two different things. These boards would be much better off (re:Bendis,JQ,JMS) if people could learn THAT difference.

Harlekin said:
Nope, that's a rumour.

waaaait, they DIDNT rename it? or they did but it wasnt for that reason? cos surely then thats opinion... (im a conspiracy theorist at heart :))

Apart from that horrible pic of Cap with the ****, any other examples of bad Liefeld art you can direct me to? I had a couple of his books somewhere and didnt have any complaints about it, so i'd like to see what makes him so bad.

They did rename it, but not for the royalty reasons. Liefeld has even admitted that that certainly wasn't the reason they did so (I believe he said something along the lines of him not getting the royalties anyway, because the sales simply weren't enough for that to come into effect). Some people still tend to believe it, but it has already been proven to be untrue. I've been trying to find a link to that info, but the titles were relaunched simply in a gamble for better sales.

It was a good interview.

iloveclones said:
I certainly don't hate Liefeld. I've never met him, and according to some around here who have, he's a pretty decent guy.

Now, his artwork is atrocious. But those are two different things. These boards would be much better off (re:Bendis,JQ,JMS) if people could learn THAT difference.

A lot of people remember his attitude from when he was on top. He said it himself, he was young and stupid. After that he became much more low profile and people only remember his attitude from the start of the 90's. I'll admit that it's the same image I've had of him until I read the interview. He still seems too self-absorbed to me; but he's not entirely like his old self. So, I've changed my view of him accordingly; I'll see what happens from now on and forget the old Rob. I still don't like his art and it'll take waaaaaaay more than an interview for me to "give him a second chance" in that arena.

Rob Liefeld talked **** about Alex Ross a couple of weeks ago. I made a thread about I think. It was funny stuff.

No mention of Deadpool :down

Cyclops said:
I think people would hate him less if he was a more honest bad artist. But it's that he's ripped off so much of so many peoples' artwork that he's earned a reputation as the worst artist ever.

I mean, Todd McFarlane's proportions and anatomy are just as bad as Liefeld's on a whole and he's got this pompous attitude about himself, but people love him. Because he's honest about how bad he is at drawing people. He doesn't rip off other peoples' work.

I'd just like to state for the record that I think McFarlane is a humongous *****e, regardless of him not putting down others work :o

Darthphere said:
Really stupid stuff. Like how people are jealous of his creation of Cable among other things.
I agree SCREW Rob "SHI TTY ARTIST " Liefeld Also I cares about Cable I don't even like that character!!

Yeah, I pretty much agree with everyone else. I HATE Liefeld's art, and wish he would stop drawing; but he seems like a pretty nice guy who really likes comics other than that.

Decent interview and he seems like a really great guy. In the buisness because he does love comics and that's a good thing. Never been a fan of his art (and frankly a lot of it has been shokingly bad) although I was surprised by a few drawings during the interview - he's definatly been working on his art.

Fair play to him though, he's made a living out of something he loves doing. Can't hate a guy for that.

All Liefeld has done is use some other artwork as reference points.

I'm sorry i dont think its copying..its not any real difference than using a photograph or a live model.

Ive seen about 6 or 7 examples of this, and most of them were some odd poses that would be difficult to free hand.

I think Rob has a vibrance to his artwork that is certainly original. Art doesnt always have to ascribe to what people want to see or subscribe to proportion.

people dont look like Jack kirby's drawings..people dont look like Mike Mignola's..etc... As long as you take it with a grain of open mindedness i think Liefeld broke some serious ground in making Comics a more colorful and diverse field.

just my 2 cents...

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"