Benedict Cumberbatch is John Harrison

Oh and by the way: I'm beginning a campaign now for Benedict Cumberpatch to play Dr. Doom in the new Fantastic Four film. He was BORN for the role. :eek::up:

I think anyone is better than J... Christ I actually forgot his name. It started with a letter J right?

Too lazy to look it up because it's not even worth it.

Julian McMahon. Worst "supervillain" ever. Wasn't even trying.

Julian McMahon totally phoned that performance in. In fact, he did worse...he faxed that s*** in. :down

Oh and by the way: I'm beginning a campaign now for Benedict Cumberpatch to play Dr. Doom in the new Fantastic Four film. He was BORN for the role. :eek::up:

Cumberbatch is absolutely fantastic as a villain, but he doesn't have Victor's handsome looks before the scarring.

I'd rather have Rufus Sewell for Doom. He can convey the villainy, and he also has Victor's physical attractiveness.

Cumberbatch is plenty handsome.

One of my biggest gripes with the movie isn't Cumberbatch's acting, but rather the writing for the role. He wasn't really evil. There was no indication that if Kirk had not betrayed him, that he wouldn't have just gone on his way with his people after taking his revenge on Marcus. Yes, he blew up the Archive and killed [blackout]Pike[/blackout], but that felt more like collateral damage than anything else. There was never any indication that Khan had sinister motivations, other than Nemoy-Spock saying that Khan is evil but considering it is an alternate timeline, him being evil in the new timeline isn't set in stone. I feel like the development could've been a bit better.

It was explained in the movie that Khan and his crew were planning to wipe out those they found inferior. Seeing as how they were all genetically superior to most, that would have meant mass genocide across the galaxy. Khan had noble intentions regarding his crew, but he was a "Magneto" type. He'll treat his own kind(crew) right, but when it comes to others that he finds inferior, he will wipe them out in a heartbeat.

I do like the idea of Rufus Sewell as Doom though. But either he or Cumberbatch would be miles ahead of McMahon.

For one, they're actual, you know, actors.

Cumberbatch is plenty handsome.

Victor is undeniably and universally handsome. Cumberbatch is arguably handsome. And some people find him downright ugly. Not that I agree, but it is the truth.

Cumberbatch would tear it up as Doom, though. But so would Sewell.

I do like the idea of Rufus Sewell as Doom though. But either he or Cumberbatch would be miles ahead of McMahon.

A wooden plank with a mean face drawn on it would convey a better villainous performance than McMahon did.

tumblr_inline_mjoajmRdyA1qz4rgp.gif

Last edited:
Julian McMahon totally phoned that performance in. In fact, he did worse...he faxed that s*** in. :down

To be fair, both Fantastic Four movies were among the worst written CBMs to ever get wide release. Daniel Day Lewis couldn't make that role work.

It's crazy. Unless you're already a fan of Sherlock or was one of the four people who watched Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy, everyone's a Cumberb**** now.

:o
I've liked Cumberbatch for a while.

The fact people haven't seen some good movies he has been in like Starter For 10, Four Lions, Antonement, War horse and Amazing Grace is actually a little disheartening.

To be fair, both Fantastic Four movies were among the worst written CBMs to ever get wide release. Daniel Day Lewis couldn't make that role work.
Even the screenwriter said the second movie was rubbish and Chris Evans looking like he didn't give a damn when promoting it.

I can't stand McMohn's plunked and carefully dyed eyebrows.

Is anyone else relishing the thought of seeing Benedict Cumberbatch going full tilt mad in a future sequel because of the obsession he'll certainly develop with Kirk and the Enterprise? He certainly showed how crazy he can be when he augured his ship into Earth.

Last edited:
I definitely want to see Cumberbatch back. But instead of the character in question always being a hunted criminal, I want to see him build an empire in space, so the audience finally gets to see the man doing what he is designed to do.

I definitely want to see Cumberbatch back. But instead of the character in question always being a hunted criminal, I want to see him build an empire in space, so the audience finally gets to see the man doing what he is designed to do.

Emperor [BLACKOUT]Khan[/BLACKOUT]! :woot:

Big thumbs up for Cumberbatch. I'm aware of other shows/films he's been in but not really watched any of them, but I'll certainly make a point of doing so after seeing Into Darkness. He was just fantastic every time he was on screen, and had so much presence.

His voice as Harrison was perfect; deep but chilling, his calm and measured pronunciations of everything really cementing just how confident he is in himself.

Agreed. He showed flashes of his intensity and ambition, especially in the scene where he takes over the Vengeance and threatens Spock. It'd be a shame to let that go to waste.

I felt like they left us wanting more from Khan, and that's not necessarily a bad thing. But it definitely has a "this if the first part of
Khan's
story" vibe to it. Just like we're seeing Kirk evolve, I feel like we only got glimpses of his personality, and that we're due to see them fully explored as he tries to take control of an empire.

The question is, how does he get released from cryo-sleep? Perhaps a Klingon attack damages the life support systems and the cryo-pods release their inhabitants?

The question is, how does he get released from cryo-sleep? Perhaps a Klingon attack damages the life support systems and the cryo-pods release their inhabitants?

I will drink to the day when we don't need to use spoiler tags. But nevertheless:

We know that other augments do exist in the contemporary timeline, whether as leftovers of Arik Soong's experiments, or illegal procedures similar to those performed on Dr. Bashir and the less stable augments we saw in DS9.

Now that Khan's existence is likely known to the Federation public, he and his 72 crew members may well become a messianic figure to all contemporary augments. Perhaps even the Klingons with human features, themselves created directly or indirectly via crossbreeding with human augments, also see Khan as their natural leader.

That creates a plot mechanism for Khan's escape, and also gives him an automatic army at his disposal once he does.

I will drink to the day when we don't need to use spoiler tags. But nevertheless:

We know that other augments do exist in the contemporary timeline, whether as leftovers of Arik Soong's experiments, or illegal procedures similar to those performed on Dr. Bashir and the less stable augments we saw in DS9.

Now that Khan's existence is likely known to the Federation public, he and his 72 crew members may well become a messianic figure to all contemporary augments. Perhaps even the Klingons with human features, themselves created directly or indirectly via crossbreeding with human augments, also see Khan as their natural leader.

That creates a plot mechanism for Khan's escape, and also gives him an automatic army at his disposal once he does.
Ohh.... that could be interesting.

Count me among those that absolutely loved Benedict as Khan, [BLACKOUT]and I was really glad that they didn't kill him off and instead put him back to sleep - means there's the option of him returning[/BLACKOUT] After seeing some of the initial trailers for STID last year I started digging into things like the Sherlock series (which I now LOVE and can't wait for s3 to start!!) and I've become more and more a fan. After seeing him as Khan, I can't wait to see his performance of Smaug (both voice and how his motion capture affects the performance of the great lizard) and as The Necromancer in the remaining two Hobbit films. They're both going to be chilling performances I'm sure.

'Tis the year of Cumberbatch I think :woot:

Was really impressed with his physicality. Looked convincing in on-screen combat [which is sometimes not always the case with classically trained actors breaking their action film cherry] and he's certainly hit the gym since Sherlock (which begs the question of how they're going to explain Sherlock's sudden muscle gain in series 3 ;) )

He is the best version of Khan. BUT...I don't think he should come back. Unless they have a TV series with another ship and Khan makes another appearance...but this should be his last time for film.

Why didn't they write
Khan
into an anti-hero to spice things up and differentiate from his original incarnation? Benedict actually made the character likable, and I actually thought the film was going that way in the first half because of how he saves the crew from the Klingons and the reasons for his terrorism.

Last edited:
I kind of had an idea of who his character actually was. When it came up, though, I still said, "No way." That was just cool.

Also,
that skull crush was just...damn. That totally caught me by surprise. Even though they didn't actually show it, I was kind of surprised that they actually allowed that in the film considering you could hear all of the nasty sound effects. I mean...damn. :wow:

And hearing Carol Marcus' scream in context, it wasn't cheesy at all. As a matter of fact, it actually added to the brutality of that moment.

I really enjoyed his performance, and wouldn't mind his seeing him again in a future installment if they wrote in a good reason for him to return.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"