Benedict Cumberbatch is John Harrison

I am currently working on a Benedict Cumberbatch impersonation, and I am going to use it everywhere: ordering pizza on the phone, asking co-workers to borrow their stapler, leaving my outgoing voice mail.

"Johnson! What are you doing?! I told you I needed those reports at 5!"

"You should have let me sleep."

----------

"Why are we heading in now? There's still some daylight out."

"Darkness is coming."

----------

"Sir, any reason you chose not to pay for your meal?"

"Your commanders have committed a crime I cannot forgive."

Cumberbatch was great. Really menacing. Terrific villain

Lol at Alice Eve on Kimmel tonight introducing a British catchphrase.

I think we are all "Cumber*****es" now.

I appreciate that he made his character, unique to Ricardo Motalban. For whatever reason his character seemed silly in the trailers to me, but seeing it in context of the film, it was phenomenal!

Benedict did a great job, but he needed WAY more screen time. That's my only real complain about the movie. Peter Wellers is essentially the main villain in the movie.

No you see that's where your wrong, because even though Marcus is essentially the mastermind, [blackout]Khan[/blackout] turns the tables on him and out right manipulates the situation into his personal favor and then kills him out right.

I cannot praise Cumberbatch enough. That was spectacular. Not unexpected that he'd be great (His Sherlock is easily the best portrayal at least in recent memory) but I just loved him in this.

That's not why people are complaining. You missed the point. First off, nobody is complaining about Cumberbatch's acting for he portrayed a terrific villain. The problem people are having is that [blackout]Khan was obviously not white. Forget the fact that he is originally an Indian character portrayed by Ricardo Montalbán. It's the ethnicity. Cumberbatch is about as white as you can get. Khan and the Eugenics Wars (1990's) predates Nero entering the timeline, which means that he should look somewhat similar to Montalbán as he it already established within the franchise.[/blackout] After Abrams couldn't get Benicio Del Toro cast, he just decided "Oh f*** it" and cast Cumberbatch. That's the problem some fans are having and for all the fan service that this film delivers, it isn't irrational for some to feel that way.

So, my post illustrates (with a photo even) that you could be of Indian decent, or have an Indian name and be whiter than Michael Jackson! Yet I've missed the point?

I think a point everyone is missing is that JJ Abrahms obviously wanted the character to be a suprise upon his reveal - an Indian actor, or actor appearance and we would have known who he was from the off!
Also, according to Star Trek 'cannon', the Eugenics Wars were supposed to have happened over ten years ago (early 1990's) - so this has to re-written anyway! Plus it is 'thought' he was of Sikh origin and both Khan and Singh are not traditional Sikh surnames.

Last edited:
So, my post illustrates (with a photo even) that you could be of Indian decent, or have an Indian name and be whiter than Michael Jackson! Yet I've missed the point?

I think a point everyone is missing is that JJ Abrahms obviously wanted the character to be a suprise upon his reveal - an Indian actor, or actor appearance and we would have known who he was from the off!
Also, according to Star Trek 'cannon', the Eugenics Wars were supposed to have happened over ten years ago (early 1990's) - so this has to re-written anyway! Plus it is 'thought' he was of Sikh origin and both Khan and Singh are not traditional Sikh surnames.

What you are missing is that casting a white man as Khan takes away a lot of depth and importance of the character. While the 1960s was the decade of change, the idea of white superiority was still widely believed by many, especially in the American South. The character of Khan took all that ideology and turned it on its head by portraying a genetic superman who was the product of selective breeding as a member of a minority, a person of colour. If you make Khan white, you lose a lot of the subtlety and make Khan a pretty blatant critique of the idea of the Aryan Superman. Moreover, Star Trek has always been a socially progressive franchise intended to showcase diversity and social equality. By turning Khan white you undermine that ideal of the series. Movies and TV need more actors of colour and characters of different racial and ethnic groups, not less.

same thing happened in Iron Man 3. The Mandarin should be Asian, but a British White guy played him.

same thing happened in Iron Man 3. The Mandarin should be Asian, but a British White guy played him.

Ben Kingley's not white... he's from Pakistani decent I think... come to think of it, he's more Khan than Khan!

Ben Kingley's not white... he's from Pakistani decent I think... come to think of it, he's more Khan than Khan!

His name at birth is Krishna Bhanji. He says he finds it amusing that a man named Krishna Bhanji had to change his name to Ben Kingsley to become a famous actor that would one day play Mohandas Gandhi.

Cumberbatch gave me Chills in STID... One of the Best Villains ever!

Cumberbatch was kriffin' awesome! And while he was largely a unique interpretation of the character, though there were some times where the were similarities with
Ricardo Montabaln's
hammy, heavy-enunciating anger. Whereas
Montabaln's
made it work as a sign of
Khan's
eccentricity, Cumberbatch made it a visceral, raw, and delicious display of the character's self-proclaimed savagery.

I even think Cumberbatch threw in a few approving glances at Kirk to kind of callback to the original version of their rivalry, which had some aspects of a mutual respect and admiration. Of course, since
Khan
has a beef against Starfleet instead of Kirk himself this time around, he actually lacks the blind spot of obsession from
Wrath of Khan
and quickly incapacitated him.

Cumberbatch took the role of Khan and made it his own...I can never watch Wrath of Khan again now....the old version of Khan just seems boring in comparison.

I am currently working on a Benedict Cumberbatch impersonation, and I am going to use it everywhere: ordering pizza on the phone, asking co-workers to borrow their stapler, leaving my outgoing voice mail.

"Johnson! What are you doing?! I told you I needed those reports at 5!"

"You should have let me sleep."

----------

"Why are we heading in now? There's still some daylight out."

"Darkness is coming."

----------

"Sir, any reason you chose not to pay for your meal?"

"Your commanders have committed a crime I cannot forgive."

"All right sir, what kinda pizza would you like?"

"Now... shall we begin?"

"Uhh... Yeah. That's why I asked for your order, sir."

*A few difficult minutes later*

"And what's your name, sir?"

"My name is... KHAN."

"Okay, Khan... what number can I reach you on?"

"72."

*Pizza guy sighs*

*A few more difficult minutes later*

"Would you like the family sized pizza? It's a bit more expensive, but it feeds more people."

"Is there anything you would not do for your family...?"

"... So I guess that's a yes, then?"

*A few more difficult minutes later*

"Okay, your pizza will arrive shortly. If it doesn't arrive in 30 minutes or less, it's free. And that's a guarantee."

"You can't even guarantee the safety of your own crew."

*Khan hangs up*

-------------------

*Someone calls Khan's phone*

"Hello, this is Khan Noonien Singh. I'm not here at the moment... so leave a message at the beep, and I'll contact you in 300 years."

Last edited:
"After all... no ship should go down without her captain."

Just chills.

Naw not really. I am a noob Star Trek fan and the twist didn't surprise me or anyone in the audience.

My sister hasn't seen it yet, but she asked me, "So, is he Khan or what?"

Even if I hadn't known beforehand, I would have figured it out once the crew was found the way they were. That was a big clue right there.

"All right sir, what kinda pizza would you like?"

"Now... shall we begin?"

:funny: The impression's not working out though. To get my voice low and velvety smooth, I can't project. That Cumberbatch really is a god among men.

My sister hasn't seen it yet, but she asked me, "So, is he Khan or what?"

Even if I hadn't known beforehand, I would have figured it out once the crew was found the way they were. That was a big clue right there.

As the movie got closer I thought
I wouldn't be surprised if he turned out to be Khan. Then as the movie went on, there were just more things that lent to it. I mean that **** on Cronos was very Khan like (including the jacket)then once he said he was 300 years old that pretty much did it. Then it was all in the anticipation of him saying Khan. And when he did... well :awesome:

Actually, I assumed he was an augment (or possibly an android) going just by the trailers, but that still left a lot of possibilities.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"