WikiLeaks Starring Benedict Cumberbatch & Joel Kinnaman

That kind of scares me. War crimes committed by this country isn't an issue? Knowledge that the government purposefully keeps its people in the dark isn't an issue? That journalism is restricted by government policies frankly getting rid of the days of Woodward and Burnstein isn't an issue? That the government uses this lack of information to control the people isn't an issue? That should be a BIG issue.

Yeah, yeah some people say "but, it's war!" So what if it's war? That shouldn't mean that people should just randomly kill people just because of something they believe - it needs to be based off of something stronger than that. There NEEDS to be accountability. Those soldiers were killing a camera crew and a father taking his kids to school while laughing it up like they were playing Call of Duty - there is something wrong with that.

Last edited:
The issue just isn't that big of a deal over here. It was a cool story for a while, but now it's like, "whatever."

More Americans are concerned about Miley Cyrus and the Kardashians that Wikileaks.

Sad but true.

All three are boring. We as a country should be focused on Breaking Bad. :o

More Americans are concerned about Miley Cyrus and the Kardashians that Wikileaks.

Sad but true.

God, what happened to this country? We were fighters once. (and rhetorical question, I don't really think there is a clean-cut answer on how society fell apart).

I suspect had they gotten a bigger name to play Assange it would have done better. Cumberbatch is known but he's not "middle America" known.

Duh, that's why they should have gotten Will Smith. :whatever:

Now you get it.

I suspect had they gotten a bigger name to play Assange it would have done better. Cumberbatch is known but he's not "middle America" known.

I don't see crowds flocking to a movie about WikiLeaks, period.

God, what happened to this country? We were fighters once. (and rhetorical question, I don't really think there is a clean-cut answer on how society fell apart).

I don't think it has. I don't think we're really any worse or better than we have been as a nation. People always like to point at some time in America's history and say "they were more morally right then!" But it's largely just looking through a rose colored glass.

Some people look at the 1940's and say we were more morally upright then. We fought the good fight in WWII and were more patriotic as a nation. Which is true. But we were also horribly racist and sexist.

You could do this with any generation. Yes, we have our problems now, but we're really not any worse than we were in the past.

I bet DS looks exactly like Cumberbatch in this movie. Like, some spitting image-type s**t. :o

8ed1a46aba59ddb8cb446f7eb1019e.jpg

"Hi, I'm Dark Sovereignty."

I don't see crowds flocking to a movie about WikiLeaks, period.

Agreed.

I don't think it has. I don't think we're really any worse or better than we have been as a nation. People always like to point at some time in America's history and say "they were more morally right then!" But it's largely just looking through a rose colored glass.

Some people look at the 1940's and say we were more morally upright then. We fought the good fight in WWII and were more patriotic as a nation. Which is true. But we were also horribly racist and sexist.

You could do this with any generation. Yes, we have our problems now, but we're really not any worse than we were in the past.

I always find the glorification of the 1940's to be irritating: it glosses over some of the less than savory acts such as the government supplying amnesty to Nazi Scientists and the Dachau Massacre...

Maybe Chris Hemsworth? But then again, after Rush and co-starring with Daniel Bruhl, it would confuse the American audience, huh?

Agreed.

I always find the glorification of the 1940's to be irritating: it glosses over some of the less than savory acts such as the government supplying amnesty to Nazi Scientists and the Dachau Massacre...

Yep. Any point in history that's glorified has it's dark side as well, people just don't like to look there. People as a whole like to glorify the past, and everyone does it. We like to think there was a golden period at some point and time that we should try to aspire to and replicate, when that's never really happened....ever.

The point is we fought a lot more. With WWII there was something to fight. With the 60s there were major fights for equality. I'm talking about when it became more about reality TV and celebrity worship than the individuals. There are STILL things to fight, just not a lot of fighting going on other than by select individuals.

Last edited:
The point is we fought a lot more. With WWII there was something to fight. With the 60s there were major fights for equality. I'm talking about when it became more about reality TV and celebrity worship than the individuals.

I mean, yes, we did fight in WWII, which was honorable (but we had to be dragged into it), and as I said, we had tons of moral issues in the 40's that we've made better today. We did fight for equality in the 60's, but in addition to that a good portion of the free love movement helped spread STD's.

Point being, there are always negatives. Yeah, we have an issue in our society today, but that doesn't mean there aren't people doing good out there too. Unfortunately, as a culture we've always had an issue with entertainment over actual quality. We tend to go in cycles. Back in the early 1900s to 1920's, newspaper journalists went from muckracking to a period of great investigative journalism that shed light on some horrible practices that needed to be stopped. When people started getting compassion fatigue on good causes, they went back to sensationalism.

Today we see more of that because information travels so much faster. There's more junk out there (reality tv) but good causes are also being put out there faster too.

I know things have gotten better. But, it just seems like my generation on a whole is a lot more lazy than generations in the past in regards to putting up a fight. Like more people are just content to sit back and let things happen than they were in the past. Maybe that's just in how the past was represented though. But, just through that lens of movies and history books it seemed like 60% of the people were fighting for what they believed in actively, whereas today 60% believe in things but sit back and do nothing. So, it isn't that we live in a worse world - I'm not saying that, it's that it seems like we're living in a lazier one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"