Benedict Cumberbatch is John Harrison

Riiiight. "John Harrison"

:cwink:

I still think they'll try a Robinesque reveal with this

I'm saying he's a seperate character connected to Khan. I just think they'd want to build up the Kirk-Khan rematch with elxplicit advertisement.

Star Trek 2009 is on and I just noticed something, at the start of the movie where we see a young Kirk driving that nice corvette, there's a kid walking down the street and Kirk yells "Hey Johnny"........could that be Cumberbatch's character as a kid?

They did say Kirk would have a history with him, right, so......?

Star Trek 2009 is on and I just noticed something, at the start of the movie where we see a young Kirk driving that nice corvette, there's a kid walking down the street and Kirk yells "Hey Johnny"........could that be Cumberbatch's character as a kid?

I was thinking the same thing a few weeks ago. Might just be a coincidence, but knowing JJ, I wouldn't be surprised if that is him.

I'm saying he's a seperate character connected to Khan. I just think they'd want to build up the Kirk-Khan rematch with elxplicit advertisement.

I agree.

When they bring in Khan in the future I am looking forward to seeing what they do with them since things will not play out the same as they did in the original timeline.

Okay, if Benedict Cumberbatch is playing a de-aged Captain Robert April, as some evidence is starting to show, does that mean that Carol Marcus's role is to reverse his aging? Kind of like the Genesis Program, but instead of a planetary scale, it's at the individual level? It "gives new life" to the body??

I don't think he's Khan either but there's some connection. He might be based off of him. The fact they're using Alice Eve and that scene with the Spock and Kirk peace sign through the glass says a lot. Abrams hasn't even denied a connection to Khan when asked about it.

I'm confident that there is SOME connection there, as long as he isn't Khan. Benedict Cumberbatch could never come CLOSE to Ricardo Montalban's version of Khan.

Do people really want Khan to be in the movie that badly?

I really hope he isn't Khan.

Agreed 100%

I have to agree with the "no Khan" hopes. It's fine if he's connected to Khan distantly due to the divergence of the timeline but I'd rather him not be straight up Khan. Khan has been done and it was a great movie, no need to go back to the character in this timeline.

Maybe he was one of the genetically engineered humans from the Botany Bay?

Actually, that kid was supposed to be his brother. In one of the deleted scenes, they reveal a little bit more about young Kirk's life at home, and we see that kid talking to him. They cut that clip out, and he turned into some random kid on the side of the road named "Johnny" or something.

Exactly. He's not Khan but one of Khan's followers. Khan is killed with all of his followers before being awakened with only "John Harrison" left alive to avenge his people. Makes the most sense at this point.

That's how you can use Khan but not use Khan all at the same time and make everybody happy.

Or a descendent of augments who managed to stay under the radar after the Eugenics Wars, who have been living on Earth the whole time. Or a more recent descendent of two of Arik Soong's augments who secretly escaped the destruction of their ship (or had been previously sent away on a separate mission we didn't know about) in the battle against the NX-01 Enterprise. In either case, Khan is like their messiah, which sets up future movies.

I don't think Cumberbatch is playing one of Khan's Botany Bay crew members. I mean, what would be the point of that? Ricardo played a classic villain, but if the core Trek members can be recast successfully, then so can Khan. I don't understand why they would want to "use Khan but not use Khan" by just creating a villain with all his abilities and motivations, yet with a different name. If you're going to do all that, then why not just use Khan?

I'm thinking the Robert April idea is more on the right track.

I'm still sticking to my Tom Hardy theory though. :cwink:

What's your "Tom Hardy" Theory?

From the previous page:

Probably already been mentioned, but if not...

The other day I was watching that crappy movie with Chris Pine and Tom Hardy, This Means War. At one point, Hardy's character uses the alias... John Harrison.

DUN DUN DUN

I think I've figured it out.

BENEDICT CUMBERBATCH IS PLAYING TOM HARDY!!!! MOST EPIC STAR TREK VILLAIN EVERRRRRR!!!!

If Benedict Cumberbatch is playing Robert April, I wonder if he will have any connection to the USS Enterprise (NCC-1701}?

Riiiight. "John Harrison"

:cwink:

I still think they'll try a Robinesque reveal with this

Which I HATE to no end. It just does nothing for me. It was dumb with Robin and it was dumb with Moneypenny.

They've spoken about adjusting things when Cumberbatch was cast.

Basically I think the villain was originally some variation Kahn, perhaps he was always a n augmented former starfleet member rather than an escaped former dictator.

When Cumberbatch was cast it was probably moved even further from the classic kahn, still an augment, still basically what they were always doing, but with his background somewhat adjusted and the dialogue rewritten to fit the actor as is often done.

If Benedict Cumberbatch is playing Robert April, I wonder if he will have any connection to the USS Enterprise (NCC-1701}?

April is shown in the comic and looks absolutely nothing like what Cumberbatch looks like in this film.

He does however have more than a passing resemblance to actor Nolan North who is known to be in the film in an unspecified role.

Which I HATE to no end. It just does nothing for me. It was dumb with Robin and it was dumb with Moneypenny.

Hardcore fans hated it, but casual fans loved it. As Spock so eloquently put it in this film: "The needs of many outweigh the needs of the few." The crowd clapped and cheered when the alias 'Robin' was utilized. I severely doubt the identical type of reaction would've been found with 'Dick Grayson'.

Of course it does nothing for you, but writers and filmmakers aren't just catering to fans like yourself.

Yeah, I personally wish his name had been Dick Grayson, but the way they handled it was fine, IMO. More people know the name Robin anyway, and I never really understood why Dick picked "Robin" as a superhero name anyhow. I think I remember reading a comic once where he chose that name because Robin Hood was his hero growing up, and I always found that stupid. So having him actually be named Robin wasn't any worse than that.

Hardcore fans hated it, but casual fans loved it. As Spock so eloquently put it in this film: "The needs of many outweigh the needs of the few." The crowd clapped and cheered when the alias 'Robin' was utilized. I severely doubt the identical type of reaction would've been found with 'Dick Grayson'.

Of course it does nothing for you, but writers and filmmakers aren't just catering to fans like yourself.

It has nothing to do with me being a fan. I didn't see it coming. It's just in general just a type of winking to the audience I'm not a fan of. It doesn't matter what franchise its in.

Its a reveal that isn't even a reveal within the story itself. The name means nothing to the characters themselves. That kind of thing is cool as little nod and cameos, like pre-fur beast being on the tv in X-2, but as a reveal that is somehow supposed to mean something its just kind of ridiculous and contrived.

At this point, it would be interesting if John Harrison was a play on Kahn, an augment out for vengeance for whatever reason, but I'd rather him still just be a different character than at the end have him be like "By the way my real name is Kahn." as was the case with Robin and Moneypenny.

Last edited:
They've spoken about adjusting things when Cumberbatch was cast.

Basically I think the villain was originally some variation Kahn, perhaps he was always a n augmented former starfleet member rather than an escaped former dictator.

When Cumberbatch was cast it was probably moved even further from the classic kahn, still an augment, still basically what they were always doing, but with his background somewhat adjusted and the dialogue rewritten to fit the actor as is often done.

I'd go as far as saying that the character may've actually been Khan early on, explaing the initial casting of Benicio del Toro. Then after he dropped out and they couldn't find another suitable Hispanic actor, they cast Cumberbatch and rewrote the character.

That's certainly possible. Although I remember reading somewhere that Del Toro might actually be in the movie and they are just keeping it a secret.

I'm still hoping for Bardem though if we ever do get Khan again. He's just so, so, SOOOO perfect for Khan it's hard for me to imagine any other (current) actor playing the role.

As much as I like Bardem, it would go way too far into the homogenization of popular culture.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ohkeelay
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"