Best Fantastic Four comic storylines?

Dr. Fate

Avenger
Reaction score
Which Fantastic Four comic books do you consider to be the best?

Of the storylines from the past, of course you have to include the Coming of Galactus for one. I also like the one that starts, sort of, with the FF Annual #2 in the story where we first find out Doctor Doom is the ruler of a mysterious country called Latveria. In the end, Reed plants the suggestion in Doom's mind that he has defeated, zapping him into oblivion with the encephalo-gun Reed. Soon after, the Frightful Four is formed and defeats the FF, leaving them powerless. Meanwhile, Doom comes to realize that Reed had tricked him and returns to New York to get revenge. Daredevil drops by for a guest appearance to help the FF foil Doom's plans but it is Ben's sacrifice to become the Thing once again that saves the day. He leaves the team in anger and once again the Frightful Four return to take advantage of Ben's mental state. The Wizard uses his ID machine to turn the Thing against his teammates. If I recall, this is one of the earliest examples of Marvel using the long form of story telling because this spanned about 8 or 10 different issues. Classic Lee/Kirby at the peak of their collaboration.

Almost all of Mark Waid's run on the main series. He's the best FF writer I've ever seen. Every fan should own that series of 6 trades from "Imaginauts" on up through "Rising Storm."

I agree with Bishop. Mark Waid was awesome.

"Rising Storm" has become a favorite of mine. Of course, I'm a Torch fan, so that's subjective. :D The "Hereafter" was wonderful too.

But I also like the early stories. Stories involving the Skrulls, the birth of Franklin was a classic as well. I distinctly remember one where Galactus gets a new herald who comes claiming to be the angel Gabriel, and proclaiming it was the end of the world, but then Galactus is revealed. I forget the title of that one, but that was a very good one too. I liked how it came together so smoothly and the storyline was excellent.

Have to go with Mark Waid. If I was isolating storylines:

'Unthinkable' is the best FF/Doom confrontation in a looong time. He takes a two, chilling direction, he beats the FF senseless and then he lectures Reed about arrogance. Nice twist ending.

'Authoritive Action' is the fallout of Unthinkable. It's basically the 4 dealing with Latveria and whatnot, while Reed becomes increasingly obsessed. Also has some (pardon the pun) fantastic twists. VERY shocking conclusion.

I love when Doom possesses Sue on the last page of the penultimate issue. Just the image of all the soldiers being slaughtered, the confusion and then the crackling green eyes- "I always said Susan was more powerful than the three of you put together.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"