A.X.L

Civilian
Reaction score
Any suggestions?

Catwoman, Two-Face, Batgirl

Catwoman--Selina's Big Score

Two-Face--Batman: Faces, The Long Halloween, Dark Victory

Batgirl--Batgirl Year One

I always think of graphic novels as just a contained story arc collection regardless of if it's in an ongoing series.

Comic book=single issues

Trade paperback=single issues collected

Graphic novel=stupid

Does that include Alex Ross's stuff like the giant tabloid Graphic Novels? Or are they called something else? It's been too long for me to name other stuff.

Angeloz

Graphic Novel=Novel with pretty pictures.

Novel=Anything over 10 pages

2+2=:hulk:

---Morzan

If a comic-book script is considered a novel, then so is a screenplay.

I don't read single issues unless I'm collecting rare ones. Don't feel like going to a comic store to pick up a different issue of all these different superheroes all of the time.

I always just wait till it hits TPB, which I usually refer to as graphic novel. I have no clue where all the hate comes from for that word. But I also don't know why they're all called graphic novels when not all are graphic...

Graphic means pictures, visuals. :o Not gore.

A lot of hate is directed towards the word because, as stated by souloffire:

The term "graphic novel" was created for people to feel better about themselves for reading comics.

Comic books were originally funny pages, hence the name. It's been called that way for over a century, let's just leave it at that. Call it what you want if it gives a sense of maturity to the medium, but it's still a goddamn comic book.

"Graphic novel" makes me think of the creepy emo kids in my school who read those right-to-left Manga things. The ones with the sex.

They're frigging comic books. That's all there is to it. As Bubba said, even a collected series is not a graphic novel, it is a trade paper back.

I dont give a **** what they're called....I call single issues comics and collected issues graphic novels...nuff said

17 replies and only one person actually responded to the question.

I dont give a **** what they're called....I call single issues comics and collected issues graphic novels...nuff said

But you're probably wrong technically. Because as has been stated comics collected together are called a Trade Paperback or TPB. A Graphic Novel is a single work usually longer than the average comic and with a cardboard or hardback cover. I'll grant you I'm not an expert in this area so there might be overlap on these. Because I'm not sure about a collected mini-series as opposed to general comics collected together. There could possibly be an argument there. I don't know.

Angeloz

I like my definition better.:cyclops:

If it made the least bit of sense, maybe. :huh:

"Graphic novel" makes me think of the creepy emo kids in my school who read those right-to-left Manga things. The ones with the sex.

They're frigging comic books. That's all there is to it. As Bubba said, even a collected series is not a graphic novel, it is a trade paper back.

The ones with the sex? :huh: Moving on...

The Long Halloween is a TPB?:wow:

NO WAI.

You don't give a ****, what they're called yet you so label them willingly. :huh:

17 replies and only one person actually responded to the question.

It's not a TPB, but Batman Annual #14 is a pretty good Two-Face story as well. :o

But you're probably wrong technically. Because as has been stated comics collected together are called a Trade Paperback or TPB. A Graphic Novel is a single work usually longer than the average comic and with a cardboard or hardback cover. I'll grant you I'm not an expert in this area so there might be overlap on these. Because I'm not sure about a collected mini-series as opposed to general comics collected together. There could possibly be an argument there. I don't know.

Angeloz

"I snicker at the neologism first for its insecure pretension — the literary equivalent of calling a garbage man a 'sanitation engineer' — and second because a 'graphic novel' is in fact the very thing it is ashamed to admit: a comic book, rather than a comic pamphlet or comic magazine."

-Daniel Raeburn

"It's a marketing term. I mean, it was one that I never had any sympathy with. The term 'comic' does just as well for me. ... The problem is that 'graphic novel' just came to mean 'expensive comic book' and so what you'd get is people like DC Comics or Marvel comics — because 'graphic novels' were getting some attention, they'd stick six issues of whatever worthless piece of crap they happened to be publishing lately under a glossy cover and call it The She-Hulk Graphic Novel, you know?"

-Alan Moore

None of this changes the fact that Graphic novel is a more accurate description than comic-book. Comic-book may be a comfortable term that we're all used to, but it doesn't really mean anything.

The fact that the term 'graphic novel' has been perverted by money-grabbing idiots at DC and Marvel is irrelevent. I'm all for there being different words which better describe the type of work, since they're attempting to appeal to two different audiences. A writer who has written and illustrated a biographical account of his father's experiences in the nazi concentration camps doesn't want their work compared to a book about muscly men in skin-tight outfits wrestling each other.

If somebody wants the distinction to be made between content, its not because they're attacking the intelligence of the superhero comic-book, they just know their book isn't reaching its audience when its filed in the same category as superheroes.

A writer who has written and illustrated a biographical account of his father's experiences in the nazi concentration camps doesn't want their work compared to a book about muscly men in skin-tight outfits wrestling each other.

Of course he doesn't want it to be compared to a superhero comic, but Spiegelman still wasn't ashamed to call it a comic book. It's classified as a graphic novel but Maus is still referred to by its author as a comic book.

Anyway...back on topic. Selina's Big Score ftw. :O

Any suggestions?

Catwoman, Two-Face, Batgirl

The deepest, most poignant Two-Face story is without a doubt "Crime and Punishment". It tells you about his childhood, and where the monster truly began. I really hope they use that story as the foundation for Two-Face in the third movie.

Of course he doesn't want it to be compared to a superhero comic, but Spiegelman still wasn't ashamed to call it a comic book. It's classified as a graphic novel but Maus is still referred to by its author as a comic book.

Anyway...back on topic. Selina's Big Score ftw. :O

I know he was annoyed that his book was on the same shelf as dungeons and dragons gamebooks.

Selina's Big Score... is that one included in the Batman: Ego and Other Stories Hardcover? Yet another reason i need to pick that up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"