Best story/tpb featuring Hugo Strange?

Polaris23

Sidekick
Reaction score
Ever since the new trailer for the videogame Arkham City was out, I've been aching to find a good Hugo Strange story since I don't know much about him.

Any recommendations? What are some of the best stories featuring Hugo Strange that are (preferably) collected in tpb so I can check them out?

Thanks!

you know... i've been reading comics since about 1990... and i don't recall having ever read a story with Hugo Strange in it. :wow:

Batman and the Monster Men is quite good. It is best when read with Batman and the Mad Monk. Each captures a feel similar to that of year one and makes for a good series.

Strange Apparitions: http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman:_Strange_Apparitions (it's by the way the definiton of Batman to many people including me)

The Monster Men is also good.

There's also the original stories in "Batman Chronicles Vol. 1"

"Batman: Prey" is readable, but no classic.

Then there's also the Gerry Conway story from the 80s, a very long arc, Batman #339-356 & Detective Comics #506-522. It's also very good stuff.
---

Hugo Strange is in many ways an obscure character, which is strange since he's featured in so many good and classic stories.

Last edited:
In order of reading, you should get:-
Batman & the Monster Men
Batman Prey
Batman Terror
Batman Strange Apparitions

I like that some of the same books are being mentioned. Thanks a lot. I'm adding them to my list for sure.

what was the arc when brian bolland did the covers? im trying to remember if that one was any good.

Strange Apparitions: http://dc.wikia.com/wiki/Batman:_Strange_Apparitions (it's by the way the definiton of Batman to many people including me)

"Batman: Prey" is readable, but no classic.
Prey was the first LOTDK arc I read and holds some nostalgia for me.

Then there's also the Gerry Conway story from the 80s, a very long arc, Batman #339-356 & Detective Comics #506-522. It's also very good stuff.
Those are the classic 80's stories I grew up on which sadly are not in TPB form yet.

what was the arc when brian bolland did the covers? im trying to remember if that one was any good.

I own the singles for that not sure if it was ever collected in trade but it was one of the first Gotham Knights arcs. Will have to look through my collection for the exact numeration though cause it's been years.

That story Truer mentioned by Conway is sensational. It was one of the first Batman comic arcs I ever read. My older cousin had those issues and it was basically a sequel to Strange Apparitions (which is indeed the definitive Batman). Shame that it has never ever been collected.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"