Best Superman portrayal

I thought Dean Cain was great as Clark Kent but I would have to pick Christopher Reeve as he had the charisma and assertiveness that most of the other actors lacked in the role (with the exception of Brandon Routh)

Looks wise: Henry Cavill exudes Superman

Clark Kent: Dean Cain was the best Clark

Overall: Probably Reeves. Though Tyler could take that spot once we get to see him in regular action and not playing a supporting character.

Tyler Hoechlin needs a better suit ASAP. Those colors are just awful.

Tom Welling is my favorite personally. I actually have liked most actors they have picked for Superman. If I had to rank them it would be in this order:

Tom Welling
Christopher Reeve
Henry Cavill
Dean Cain
Tyler Hoechlin
Brandon Routh

Not a fan of Superman Returns, but it's not Routh's fault. I liked his bit in Crisis on Infinite Earths. Tyler Hoechlin does a pretty good job at both Clark and Superman, he just doesn't look the part to me. I still absolutely love Cavill in Man of Steel. Some slight gripes with character direction in the Cavill films. Dean Cain did a good job as Clark and his Superman was just decent, the show overall was a bit too cheesy at times. Christopher Reeves is the perfect adaptation of Superman for its time. Tom Welling's Clark was the modern origin of Superman that I really loved. Especially the first 5 seasons.

tenor.gif

I actually liked Welling during the first 2 seasons of Smallville because I liked the show overall during those years. I found him more than acceptable as the wide-eyed naïve farm boy coming-of-age while discovering his powers and interacting with Lex. As the show evolved, the characters technically got more complex but lost it's charm in the process. Clark's character felt really flat in the middle seasons and Welling could not get by with his wide-eyed innocent and earnest delivery after season two. I could imagine the fresh faced Welling of those early years as a future Superman easier than the older Welling of later seasons.

Yeah, I think Welling was decent in the early seasons because the whole “wide-eyed innocent” thing worked in his favor since he looked so young. But the show seriously declined in quality after season 3 and he wasn’t a strong enough actor to save it. Lex was the best character and actor on the show and once he left, it wasn’t worth watching anymore.

It’s a shame Rosenbaum never really caught on anywhere else after that. Dude is talented.

I think Welling is underrated as an actor, he emotes fantastically with his face. He also managed to make various evil versions of Clark all feel different from one another.

As for the show “declining” after S3 I agree in that the middle seasons were mixed but S8-10 were great. S9 isn’t the single best season of Smallville imo.

I agree. Anytime Welling played an evil version of Clark it was awesome and different. When Lionel Luthor took over his body in an episode, Welling totally nailed acting just like Jonathan Glover. I'll agree after Season 5, the seasons got a little bit more meh, but there was still enjoyable ones in the later seasons still.

It says a lot that the 40 year old performances from Reeve are still held as the best. Cavill had every chance to take his place. Put Reeve in the same position and I guarantee no one would be complaining that it was “unfair” because of the writing/characterization. I’m tired of Snyder getting all the blame for DCEU Superman not clicking with audiences. Cavill’s wooden performance is a huge part of the problem. I always hear that Cavill could’ve been great with the right material. Well guess what, Reeve was great even when the material was **** (Superman III and IV).

Cavill looks the part, but he just doesn’t have the chops to be a great Superman. I’d be happy to be proven wrong though.

I think it’s time for a new Superman.

I'm often pretty perplexed by the claims that Routh or Cavill were good in the role despite weak writing and yet that is how I feel about Dean Cain in Lois & Clark (though with him (and the other characters on the show) I think the writing was very uneven rather than overall weak).

Welling was strong (in the high school years), Cain was very strong and a close second but Christopher Reeve is the best.

George Reeves, though he had some good moments, I couldn't really get in to, his portrayal felt too old-fashioned and dated and vaguely talking-down even though I like other old and older movies and TV.

Last edited:
If I had money to spend, I’d bet it all on Corenswet being our next Superman. He’s going to get the role. He’s like Cavill... just better.
Cavill is a sh*t actor. But there is a place in Hollywood for meatheads that can’t act. Sometimes physicality is everything. I’m not trying to be mean. It’s true. Cavill can kick ass in certain roles. But Superman requires a certain level of skill that Cavill never had.

I’m just feeling like Reeve might be unbeatable.

Superman I and II (Donner Cut) are genuinely about as good as it can possibly get. The only thing that holds those movies back are the effects (which mostly hold up).

Those are two perfect movies in my eyes. Those two, and certain episodes of STAS and JL are peak Superman.

If I had money to spend, I’d bet it all on Corenswet being our next Superman. He’s going to get the role. He’s like Cavill... just better.
Cavill is a sh*t actor. But there is a place in Hollywood for meatheads that can’t act. Sometimes physicality is everything. I’m not trying to be mean. It’s true. Cavill can kick ass in certain roles. But Superman requires a certain level of skill that Cavill never had.

If the next Superman movie were in the DCEU, then Corenswet looking like Cavill would be an advantage, although it would generally make more sense to bring back Cavill unless they couldn't get him (or didn't want him, but then why would they want someone who looks like him?) Maybe if it happened somewhere down the line and Corenswet was still going strong and Cavill moved on or fell out of favor.

If they reboot, though, I think it has the opposite effect. Reboots tend to differentiate from the previous version, and with Corenswet a lot of people would probably think it's the same version if they don't straight up think it's the same actor.

For me its Reeve. I think its clear that he's cast a long shadow on the role in both film and tv.

Inevitably, every actor who's played the part since has been compared to him. No other Clark/Superman save George Reeves and Tom Welling has been as beloved and embraced as Reeve was.

He's a bit like what Connery is to Bond. While several other actors have done good jobs with the role and made the role their own, the goal standard always goes back to Connery.

I think Reeve has been the goal standard to which, fair or not , other actors have had to live up to.

It's got to be Reeve, but honorable mention to Routh and Cavill.

I always think, who'd I want to be saved by...
Christopher Reeve Superman is the man.

I wish someone would deepfake Superman Returns and replace Routh, Spacey, and Bosworth with Reeve, Hackman, and Kidder

The best Superman is Christopher Reeve, He made the character fly off the panel of the comics to the silver screen with style. You believe a man could indeed fly. His costume was 100% accurate and he looked fantastic. The way he conducted himself in his portrayal is so ironic that many other actors have tried to replicate it .

I'm still a card-carrying member of the Cavillry. I had given up hope for a return, but recent rumors suggest that perhaps the door is still slightly ajar for Cav-El to don the red cape once more.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"