The Dark Knight Bettany talks Joker.

Nightwing 52

Things change
Reaction score
Bettany Talks Joker
Author: Jett
Monday, May 8, 2006 - 5:46 AM CENTRAL TIME: While doing press for THE DA VINCI CODE, British thesp Paul Bettany was asked about the rumors linking him to the role of The Joker. Here's what he had to say:
"In truth I haven't heard anything officially. It's a rumour entirely made up by journalists. Or maybe it's a conspiracy by journalists to ruin my negotiation."
"So if they did offer it to me, I'd already have told the press I'd love to do it, so the producers would say, 'Wonderful. Now will you do it for $5 please?'"
Bettany, along with Aussie Lachy Hulme, have been rumored to be the "frontrunners" for the part. However, a source recently told BOF "As far as I know, Paul Bettany is not on this list [WB's list of potential Joker candidates]. His name holds some appeal with a section of the Batman fan base, but the idea is not exactly setting WB’s world on fire. Too many creepy villain roles; been there, done that. He was never really in this race, as your site intimated recently."
From where I sit, it seems that Bettany wants the role and knows more than he's letting on in the press. However, whether "they" want him, is another thing all together. Whatever the case may be, Bettany's keeping his hand close to the vest. Thanks to all the BOF'ers who sent in the lead to this story... FYI, it's a tad sparse, but ON-FILM.NET is up and running. I Hope you'll check it out and give us a chance as we grow.

http://batman-on-film.com/batmovienews.html

Both Bettany and Hulme would be great choices if either was cast for Joker. But, people still don't know much about Hulme considering he doesn't have that big a list of movies. He was only mostly noticed for his role in The Matrix. Thus giving Bettany more of an upperhand, I'd be happy with either honestly. But Bettany capatilizes.

It's only a mere matter of the right one they choose. I don't want them to rush it.

Well, we now know that the sequel won't be centered around The Joker as it was in the '89 Bat-film. If that isn't just a rumor.
So, I wonder if that would affect someone's choice of taking on the role.

It's been said that just because he won't have a large role like that of Nicholson's, doesn't mean it should be taken as a cameo. He'll have a decent amount of screen time, I would hope. Remember, there are alot of villains rumored to be in the sequel, most haven't been confirmed. I like the idea of having Joker's appearence differ from that in 89, only cause it's Nolan's franchise, which is nothing like that of Burton's.

Bullseye said:
Well, we now know that the sequel won't be centered around The Joker as it was in the '89 Bat-film. If that isn't just a rumor.
So, I wonder if that would affect someone's choice of taking on the role.

It actually has, according to some rumors. Sam Rockwell wanted the role, until he found out it wasn't gonna be as big of a part as B'89. Same with Hugh Jackman, who then went on to want Harvey Dent instead.

Of course. It's Batman and he should have the most amount of screen time not The Joker.

How can someone so massively gay play The Joker?

Nyuck, nyuck, nyuck. :D

Batman said:
Both Bettany and Hulme would be great choices if either was cast for Joker. But, people still don't know much about Hulme considering he doesn't have that big a list of movies. He was only mostly noticed for his role in The Matrix. Thus giving Bettany more of an upperhand, I'd be happy with either honestly. But Bettany capatilizes.

LOL, already beat you to this one Batman. Even better, I sent the interview to Jett :up: :)

It definitely sounds like Bettany has interest in the role, but hasn´t been officially approached. With all the buzz generated on his name, I doubt WB won´t at least let him audition.

ultimatefan said:
It definitely sounds like Bettany has interest in the role, but hasn´t been officially approached. With all the buzz generated on his name, I doubt WB won´t at least let him audition.

I agree. Bettany really wants this role, many a fan wants him to get this role, he is a rising star in Hollywood - this has to go a long way in getting a screen test. If Bettany gets a screen test I have no doubt he can blow away the opposition.

People who dis Bettany now, will not dis him after they've seen him as Joker.

And if they do still dis him then, well, that's their problem anyway.

Bettany rocks. :up:

StorminNorman said:
I agree. Bettany really wants this role, many a fan wants him to get this role, he is a rising star in Hollywood - this has to go a long way in getting a screen test. If Bettany gets a screen test I have no doubt he can blow away the opposition.

I agree.

I think the majority of the doubters don't like him because his facial features don't resemble The Joker enough. Just listening to him on talk shows you know he is the perfect choice. His humour is perfect.

wikum said:
I agree.

I think the majority of the doubters don't like him because his facial features don't resemble The Joker enough. Just listening to him on talk shows you know he is the perfect choice. His humour is perfect.

I dont know how anyone can seriously say that Lachy Hulme, Adrien Brody or Crispin Glover look more Joker like than Paul Bettany. In the end it goes to what ones view is of the Joker - however give Mr. Bettany green hair, pale pale skin and ruby red lips and I think you have instant-Joker.

ultimatefan said:

It's the same case with Lucas, who constantly devotes himself to the role when at premieres or interviews. Even though fans seem to approve him with the role, I hope with all the talk he doesn't lose his chance of getting one along with Bettany for Joker.

StorminNorman said:
I dont know how anyone can seriously say that Lachy Hulme, Adrien Brody or Crispin Glover look more Joker like than Paul Bettany. In the end it goes to what ones view is of the Joker - however give Mr. Bettany green hair, pale pale skin and ruby red lips and I think you have instant-Joker.

The fact that each of those actors (Hulme, Brody, and Glover) resemble Joker in their own way, along with wanting the role, could be just that. Both Hulme and Brody have shown alot of interest for this role, despite Glover who's more of a fan based choice and not in the running anymore. I honestly think that even though we haven't seen or heard much about him, Hulme would deliver greatly. Of course there's no doubt in my mind that Brody would simply be fantastic (watch The Pianist) even saying that BB was a great film. When it comes right down to it however, Bettany like I said before seems to have more of an upperhand then all of them.

Intersting, what actors are in this WB list.

Bettany looks perfect for The Joker.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"