Smallville BEWARE Spoilers: 11.2 - DETECTIVE - Discussion Thread (Spoilers)

Seems that way.

Awesomeness, Sweet we get 3 Bat-Vehicles (The Batwing, The Batmobile & The Batboat) in Bats SV debut. I really would've loved to have seen this play out in live action. Also I'd have love to have seen Oliver rant to Chloe that Wayne made better investment in his crime fighting than they did seeing as Batman out does Green Arrow.

Well what did people think of the new Detective chapter?(2 more weeks and I can finally get it in print form!:woot:)

He mentioned Alfred too.

I can't wait for the Alfred(maybe even an Commissioner Gordon mention if we're lucky). What kind of Alfred do you think Smallville Alfred is?(personally I think it's a cross between Geoff Johns Batman:Earth One Alfred, Frank Miller Alfred(particually the All Star Batman and Robin Alfred), Beware the Batman Alfred and the Nolan movies Alfred I.e. the Marine officer chosen to take care of Bruce and basically help trained him as well as raised him).

I can't wait for the Alfred(maybe even an Commissioner Gordon mention if we're lucky). What kind of Alfred do you think Smallville Alfred is?(personally I think it's a cross between Geoff Johns Batman:Earth One Alfred, Frank Miller Alfred(particually the All Star Batman and Robin Alfred), Beware the Batman Alfred and the Nolan movies Alfred I.e. the Marine officer chosen to take care of Bruce and basically help trained him as well as raised him).

Bryan already said that Alfred won't be showing up.

Bryan already said that Alfred won't be showing up.

He also said Batman and Nightwing will appear 1 or 2 more times and if Alfred appears, I wonder how he would act/appear in the Smallville universe and which Alfred would be most like. This is basically just a fun guessing game on what Smallville Batman universe would be like based on what we seen so far in Gotham and Detective(Batman, Nightwing/Barbara Gordon, Mr.Freeze, Joe Chill, plus mentioning of Renee Montoya, Crispus Allen, Joker, Penguin and Killer Croc) and who do you think would play these characters and how they would act. Maybe even make a thread for this. I personally think it's a cross between Nolan Batman universe(including Batman:Gotham Knights animated universe) DCAU Batman Cartoons(Batman the Animated Series, The New Batman Animated Series, Batman Beyond, etc) and The Batman and a little New 52 Batman. I wonder what other poster thinks about this?

Again?! ...in our newest chapter of Season 11:

At Nellis Air Force Base outside Metropolis: two military personnel are commenting over one's new Captain Carrot toys when the alarm goes off because the armed UAVs (unmanned air vehicles) are going online, unaware that they are being controlled by those same Captain Carrot toys.

At Freeze's hideout: Superman and Batman find no one there, at least until Prankster appears using a robot Toyman was developing, complete with kryptonite on the chest. He reveals that Freeze is under his control, and is attacking the citizens, but in actuality, his suit's fuel cells are overloading, and will explode. And with Freeze above the city's water purification plant, anyone within one mile will die. Batman heads out in the Batboat to take care of Freeze, while Superman goes to handle Prankster.

Leviathan: the ship's cameras pick up Intergang from all over, and Barbara suits up with Lois by her side (Barbara says she's ready for an ass-kicking, and when Lois tries to fix her statement, Barbara reassures her that she knows what she said). Green Arrow appears and stops Freeze from attacking the cops, but Freeze yells at Arrow to get clear as he is about to explode, affecting the plant below. Babs and Lois take care of Intergang while counting how many they've taken out (Lois is 10, Nightwing is 9) when the leader and two other men appear pointing their guns at them.

Prankster and Superman hold their own, until Superman's armor is destroyed thanks to Prankster's robot suit. Even with the kryptonite now affecting and blinding him, Superman notices an area of the robot suit with its wires exposed. Superman then takes the wires and uses his heat vision to short circuit the suit. With Prankster out, and both the robot suit and kryptonite buried behind rubble, Superman wins the fight.

Superman asks Prankster if working with Intergang was worth it, but Prankster says it was awful and didn't like working with them, and it wasn't until Superman and Batman's appearence that drove him to outsmart them before they got tired of him. When Prankster says that the blood of Intergang will be on Superman's hands too, Superman says "what did you do?" with Prankster replying "I won." Just then, the armed UAVs fire on Leviathan, with Intergang, Nightwing and Lois still inside, and it begins to sink...

TO BE CONTINUED

Again?! ...in our newest chapter of Season 11:

At Nellis Air Force Base outside Metropolis: two military personnel are commenting over one's new Captain Carrot toys when the alarm goes off because the armed UAVs (unmanned air vehicles) are going online, unaware that they are being controlled by those same Captain Carrot toys.

At Freeze's hideout: Superman and Batman find no one there, at least until Prankster appears using a robot Toyman was developing, complete with kryptonite on the chest. He reveals that Freeze is under his control, and is attacking the citizens, but in actuality, his suit's fuel cells are overloading, and will explode. And with Freeze above the city's water purification plant, anyone within one mile will die. Batman heads out in the Batboat to take care of Freeze, while Superman goes to handle Prankster.

Leviathan: the ship's cameras pick up Intergang from all over, and Barbara suits up with Lois by her side (Barbara says she's ready for an ass-kicking, and when Lois tries to fix her statement, Barbara reassures her that she knows what she said). Green Arrow appears and stops Freeze from attacking the cops, but Freeze yells at Arrow to get clear as he is about to explode, affecting the plant below. Babs and Lois take care of Intergang while counting how many they've taken out (Lois is 10, Nightwing is 9) when the leader and two other men appear pointing their guns at them.

Prankster and Superman hold their own, until Superman's armor is destroyed thanks to Prankster's robot suit. Even with the kryptonite now affecting and blinding him, Superman notices an area of the robot suit with its wires exposed. Superman then takes the wires and uses his heat vision to short circuit the suit. With Prankster out, and both the robot suit and kryptonite buried behind rubble, Superman wins the fight.

Superman asks Prankster if working with Intergang was worth it, but Prankster says it was awful and didn't like working with them, and it wasn't until Superman and Batman's appearence that drove him to outsmart them before they got tired of him. When Prankster says that the blood of Intergang will be on Superman's hands too, Superman says "what did you do?" with Prankster replying "I won." Just then, the armed UAVs fire on Leviathan, with Intergang, Nightwing and Lois still inside, and it begins to sink...

TO BE CONTINUED

Bunker what would we do without you man. You should do your own blog and I would read it daily.

So the last chapter came out. What did you guys think of it? I can't wait to get the print next week. Excited about Haunted too!

I enjoyed it. The art didn't really do it for me much. Lack of actor likeness doesn't bother me as much as it does others, but it's strange to see women drawn so good, and then Clark and Bruce looking like they are in their mid to late 40s. Overall despite some inconsistent art, Detective was a success to me, and I'm pleased with how Batman was introduced on Smallville. It had some nice teasing for Haunted too.

Batman's SV introduction was overall better than I expected. If this the type of dynamic we would've gotten had he shown up in the show then I would be immensely satisfied. But seeing as his team-up on the show wouldn't have been with a full on Superman perhaps it wouldn't have been nearly as good as this arc was . Either way the seeds have been planted for him to make a return later on this season which I look forward too.

I have to say that the art for "Detective" was very awful and it annoyed me alot! Plus, this "episode" felt like a Superman book for the most part (beginning was great), not a Smallville episode. A Superman and Batman armor for the last part? C'mon!

Anyway, I really loved how Batman was introduced to the Smallville universe.

I have to say that the art for "Detective" was very awful and it annoyed me alot! Plus, this "episode" felt like a Superman book for the most part (beginning was great), not a Smallville episode. A Superman and Batman armor for the last part? C'mon!

Anyway, I really loved how Batman was introduced to the Smallville universe.

I don't know I agree with the Superman feel(same feel Smallville had in the last few seasons and more important now that Clark is Superman) but I disagree with it not having the Smallville feel.
This comic arc, like I said in a previous thread, to me has all the elements and beats the previous Hero of the week episodes Smallville did(Run, Aqua, Cyborg, Arrow, Siren, Hex, Idol, Absolute Justice, Booster are main episodes I had in mind) as well as the feel of the usual Batman/Superman first meeting(STAS 3 part "World's Finest" movie, The Batman Season 5 2 part premiere episode"The Batman/Superman story", Geoff Johns/Jim Lee New 52. Justice League#2, The Batman Strikes#44, Frank Miller's Dark Knight Return and All Star Batman and Robin, John Byrne Man of Steel#3 as well as a few scenes from Batman Begins, Tim Burton 89 Batman, etc with a more unique "SMALLVILLE" feel/spin on things) with only few minor differences:

1.) Clark is finally Superman/accepted his destiny so it's a bit more public than Smallville comics usually are

2.) This is a comic instead of TV Show(however I honestly can hear them say each line in the comic.) However some things (Batmobile, Batboat, Batwing) has a little more have a big budget film than what the later seasons could have provided(however I feel everything before season 6 could do most if not all of these scenes if not a big budget movie/TV movie or 4 part cartoon episode with the Smallville actors.)

it feels like a Smallville episode with a bigger budget /more comic Booky feel(compared to few episodes post season 8) than a Batman episode guest starring the Season 11 Smallville cast to me.

Personally is a breath of relief from how Batman and Superman usually first team up(Lex Luthor hires the Joker or some Gotham supervillians to take down Superman and Batman intervenes as seen in STAS 3 part "World's Finest" episode and The Batman 2 part season 5 premiere "The Batman/Superman story")

It may be a Smallville/Batman team up episode/comic arc but it does in a way similar to how many of the Smallville heroes premiere episodes(Aqua, Cyborg, Run, Zatanna, Arrow, etc) in that:

1.) It talks/shows a little of the hero's origin (Batman:Hitman murdered parents and he wants vengeance and justice, Bart Allen in Run: accident with flash of light drives body into overload, Arthur Curry in Aqua: Atlantean mother has powers, Black Canary:family of cops, etc)

2.) Give the hero a connection to the Smallville universe be it Lex Luthor and LuthorCorp/LexCorp(Victor Stone turned into Cyborg thanks to LuthorCorp, Thomas Wayne refused to work with Veritas and Bruce wanted to have a business meeting with Lex, Oliver's parents were killed by Lionel and Oliver and Lex were schoolmates, Bart Allen stole from Lex,Zatanna:Lex bought John Zatara's spell book, Aquaman wanted to stop Lex Luthor's machine which was harming fish life) or any other connection

3.) Heroes have a reason to be there(Ollie to learn more about what Lex Knew about Dark Thursday attacks and later tried to convince Clark to be a more proactive hero, Aquaman to stop Lex from harming the ocean, Black Canary working with Lex to stop the JL, Batman to find his parent's killer in Metropolis and do a business meeting with Lex)

4.) Clark team up and ,except for Martian Manhunter, usually fights with hero of the episode before finding Common ground(only difference is that's usually how Batman and Superman meets since the 1980s)

5.) Clark and the hero teaches each other something new about each other

6.) The hero leaves(post season 7 with Black Canary usually joining or thinking about joining the JL) all friends with most of the Smallville cast( except the Luthors, especially Lex) and leaving an ending where they could return and they usually do
and it also had elements from the usual Batman/Superman team ups without the usual (Lex Luthor hires the Joker or some Gotham supervillains to take down Superman and Batman intervenes as seen in STAS 3 part "World's Finest" episode and The Batman 2 part season 5 premiere "The Batman/Superman story"):

A. Batman has a reason coming to Metropolis(Joker, Darkseid) or Superman has a reason coming to Gotham(arrest Batman-Man of Steel#3, see if Batman was a super powered being or even real, etc) and one or the other usually has more experience in the superhero/vigilante buisness(usual Batman)

B. Superman and Batman fight and later are more or less forced to team up

C. During their enemies/allies phase they each somehow find out about each other secret identities

D. Batman and Superman run into one of Superman and/or Batman's enemy and they are forced to put their differences aside and work together for the moment

E. Batman and Superman find little if any common ground and they take down the villain.

F. Superman and Batman leave on fairly good terms and they agree to team up with each other if needed

And so far it seems it's following most of the Smallville Hero of the week formula(except for meeting up at the Watchtower or Clark's loft) because Clark is still being tracked by Lex and this is more of an urban/Metropolis adventure(only difference is doing a comic book means not having a small budget like Smallville did so it means more wild action scenes) otherwise it feels like a normal Smallville hero of the week episode only combined with the normal Superman/Batman first team up episode/issue.

Personally after reading #5-8 again back to back I think this is near perfect because:

A.) It expands/give more information about Smallville Intergang, reveals what happened to Bruno Mannheim after "Stiletto" and gives them the connection to Darkseid/Apokolips like they have in most medium(comics, DCAU/STAS, etc) as well as Toyman, Batman and his role in the Smallville, etc and it's able to be a superman/batman story and keep a certain Smallville feel to it

B.) It does things like show the boxing glove arrow, and they got each character pretty much right from Clark to Lois to Batman to even Toyman, Prankster, and Mr.Freeze(combine elements from criminal/Hitman Mr.Freeze and add an element of sympathetic Mr.Freeze with Nora mention.)

C.) Even though the art is hard to look out at times and was better in the beginning but at the end it was kind of lacking and the characters looked older than they should but despite that the characters felt exactly how I know the Smallville characters would behave on the TV show.

Just one thing left: the Batcave.

It appears in "Effigy" and imagine it will be expanded upon further in chapters.
m99i86.jpg

It's got the cubic formation like we saw in "The Dark Knight Rises" even the foundation walls look like the ones seen in "Batman Begins". I think it safe to say the inspirational look of The Batcave for SV universe comes from Nolan's trilogy.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"