• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Biggest musical sell-out

Motown Marvel said:
what the hell is that? thats not selling out. by your defenition, every musical artist who has had a cameo on the simpsons is a sell out.

p.s. white stripes are gonna be on the simpsons this season :D

Damn what the hell was Jack thinking? That's right they didn't do the voices:) The simpsons itself is going downhill:o Why did Weird Al make an appearance he's great!:O

Weezer
Blue Album = Excellent
New Album (whatever it's called) = Crap-O-Rama

The Chilli Peppers ripped off Tom Petty big time. I'm surprised there hasn't been some kind of law suit over it.

U2 have become morons. Bono especially. The guy is a ****ing prick.

Motown Marvel said:
lets define sell out by the way: selling out is when a band comprimises their musical quality and integrity in an attempt to make more money.

Going with that definition, I'll say R.E.M.

xcan28 said:
And was Kiss anything ever more then making money?? I'm not that old to know, but maybe someone from the 70's can answer that....
Kiss started out with a song about Gene trying to convince his girl to let him do her in the ass and ended up with dolls, lunch boxes, and a TV show produced by Hanna Barbera where they beat up robotic white monkey-men while disco music played. There was a...change.

Outkast should really be on that list

But I kinda respect the Black Eyed Peas for selling out

xcan28 said:
But currently..the musical industry (payola or not) is dictated by the wants (airwave ratings) of the kids.

No, it's not. The musical industry is dictated largely by the bigger record companies and their marketing budgets. Kids today are sheep and have learned to like whatever they are told is cool by the marketing hype machine.

In my eyes, selling out means compromising artistic integrity for the sole purpose of making more money. I haven't seen U2 or the Red Hot Chili Peppers do that. Black Eyed Peas I could agree with because they made a calculated effort to increase their appeal by adding Fergie to the mix, which changed their musical style a great deal as a result. Evolution in musical experimentation and artistic expression does not necessarily mean selling out, either. A lot of bands like to explore new sounds and influences. Hell, Zeppelin and the Beatles did it on a regular basis, as do more current performers like Madonna. Oh, and KISS was ALWAYS about the money. They practically invented the merchandising game for musical acts.

jag

I wish people wouldn't call them RHCP 'cause invariably for a split second I think "Red Hot Clown Posse".:(

Wilhelm-Scream said:
I wish people wouldn't call them RHCP 'cause invariably for a split second I think "Red Hot Clown Posse".:(

At least you used the word "Posse" and not something else entirely. :o

jag

some little observations about this thread:

-it took 24 posts before somebody who actually knew what they were talking about actually posted

-before that, absolutly nobody knew what the **** they were talking about

-Jag, Will and Motown Marvel have made the only decent posts here

-to the thread starter: if you don't know what the concept of "sell out" means, please, ask before making a thread about it

creed. to be honest, i never actually liked them, but i think they sold out. i remember how everybody kept going on about them being a mainstream christian band. they did like one song about jesus, got famous, then did a bunch of songs about scott stapp.

screech_turbo said:
creed. to be honest, i never actually liked them, but i think they sold out. i remember how everybody kept going on about them being a mainstream christian band. they did like one song about jesus, got famous, then did a bunch of songs about scott stapp.
to be honest, I actually enjoyed their first album

although it had a lot of STP/Pearl Jam influences, it showed promise of going into whole new places

but alas, they kept making the same album over and over

PLAS said:
to be honest, I actually enjoyed their first album
My admiration for the honesty required to admit that one liked Creed outweighs my disgust at the thought of someone liking Creed.:down:up:

when i think sell-out i think of metallica anymore...i won't go in to detail as to why, those who know how the band felt about trends and their music in the early days, and their feelings about the same things now will understand. Those who don't agree with me, won't agree with me.

thedeadite said:
when i think sell-out i think of metallica anymore...i won't go in to detail as to why, those who know how the band felt about trends and their music in the early days, and their feelings about the same things now will understand. Those who don't agree with me, won't agree with me.
an interesting fact:

most of the people who hated metallica's musical output from the black album through their load days are almost the same people who swear that Metallica died the same day Cliff Burton died

but pretty much everybody agrees on one thing, St Anger sucked

jaguarr said:
Yeah, St. Anger DID suck. :down

jag
interestingly enough, I don't blame the band for that one, I actually blame Bob Rock, and if anyone saw SKOM, it was obvious that although the band was in a personal trumoil, Rock contributed greatly to the musical **** up of that album

How about Jason Newstead and Tommy Lee having a weekly "reality" show/competition to find a new singer for their "supergroup", Supernova? lol

Wilhelm-Scream said:
How about Jason Newstead and Tommy Lee having a weekly "reality" show/competition to find a new singer for their "supergroup", Supernova? lol

But d00d, they've got Gilby Clarke on guitar! *snicker*

jag

PLAS said:
interestingly enough, I don't blame the band for that one, I actually blame Bob Rock, and if anyone saw SKOM, it was obvious that although the band was in a personal trumoil, Rock contributed greatly to the musical **** up of that album

I've never been a very big fan of Bob Rock. He pushes HIS vision of what a band should sound like on those that he produces for, rather than trying to help them really capture the essence of what they do and let them fully realize their artistic endeavors as musicians. :down

jag

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"