Biggest musical sell-out

xcan28

Civilian
Reaction score
Now...I've made it known here that the Black Eyed Peas are the biggest musical sell out I've ever seen in my life...but just wondering what others feel.

I am including U2, Puff Daddy and the Red Hot Chili Peppers on the list as well, but U2 gets a saving grace due to their "message" (music) becoming more mainstream, but continue the "fight" in other avenues (G8 influence etc;)

UNFORTUNATELY I can't throw Nelly Craptardo on here as she has the unique distinction of "reverse sell out" (Always wanted to do hipity hop, but started mainstream)...but your day will come Nelly:down

Now I have no problem with pop bands...just don't preach and become a puppet when the $$ arises.

Feel free to offer your opinion:)

Green Day :o They were cool, but when they just kept shoving it down our throats, I got sick of them.

**** this poll...

Jewel.

and least Green Day didn't jump to a different genre of music to try to regain their status.

xcan28 said:
Now...I've made it known here that the Black Eyed Peas are the biggest musical sell out I've ever seen in my life...but just wondering what others feel.

I am including U2, Puff Daddy and the Red Hot Chili Peppers on the list as well, but U2 gets a saving grace due to their "message" (music) becoming more mainstream, but continue the "fight" in other avenues (G8 influence etc;)

UNFORTUNATELY I can't throw Nelly Craptardo on here as she has the unique distinction of "reverse sell out" (Always wanted to do hipity hop, but started mainstream)...but your day will come Nelly:down

Now I have no problem with pop bands...just don't preach and become a puppet when the $$ arises.

Feel free to offer your opinion:)

Biggest musical sell out goes to the radio. The disk jockeys. You know why? Because pretty much the entire musical industry (with a few exceptions) have gone straight into the ****ter. And there's no one to blame but the guys that run that radio and the way they accept payola from the record companies. We're sadly living in an era where the radio doesn't play what you want to hear, they play what they want YOU to hear.

Puffy Daddy,wtf?:confused:

And hip hop is mainstream. Nelly's old stuff was unique.:o

Abaddon said:
And hip hop is mainstream. Nelly's old stuff was unique.:o
I agree. "Like A Bird" was a great song that defined the 5th grade for me.

Archangel said:
When did the Chili Peppers sell out?

Now you're right..they never "officially" sold out, but if you compare their music from pre '88 to today there's been a drastict change. My Chili Peppers I cannot understand!;)

I'm basing my judgement of my high school bands...The Cure, Depeche Mode, G N R (Velvet Revolver DOESN'T count:down ) and Nirvavna.

The only one that I can fully agree on is Black eyed peas.

In what way is U2 a sellout? I think if you're going to ask who of these people are sellouts, you should at least explain why you think they sold out...

i would have to say that any group that has done voice acting on tv is a sellout to me:o or commercial

Lucy in the sky said:
i would have to say that any group that has done voice acting on tv is a sellout to me:o

The Beatles had a whole CARTOON dedicated to them:confused:

Tangled Web said:
Sell outs change their style to sell more.
I think they only sold out in that one album called ''disqotech;'' or whatever it was

Nsync. They used to be the voice of the ****ing streets man, the streets. :o

Green Day and Kiss are interesting choices...

Didn't Green Day's roots begin with "Green Day"?? So I guess we can throw some Nelly Craptardo on there as they seem to have GAINED a concious..but I hear what you are saying...

And was Kiss anything ever more then making money?? I'm not that old to know, but maybe someone from the 70's can answer that....

Bryan Adams .

Cyclops said:
In what way is U2 a sellout? I think if you're going to ask who of these people are sellouts, you should at least explain why you think they sold out...

Sunday Bloody Sunday, "Nothing changes on NEW YEAR'S DAY"...

That's why I said the get an exemption. There first few albums were filled with meaning...not "I love you..you love me":(

But again...they haven't given up that "edge" and I give credit to Bono and the crew for that...just the music has suffered, or maybe the powerfulness of the music.

JLBats said:
The Beatles had a whole CARTOON dedicated to them:confused:

They couldn't be bothered to do the voices though.

lets define sell out by the way: selling out is when a band comprimises their musical quality and integrity in an attempt to make more money.

Lucy in the sky said:
i would have to say that any group that has done voice acting on tv is a sellout to me:o or commercial

what the hell is that? thats not selling out. by your defenition, every musical artist who has had a cameo on the simpsons is a sell out.

p.s. white stripes are gonna be on the simpsons this season :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"