Black Adam set to premiere in 2021

I remain skeptical. Black Adam is a character that is *really* easy to mess up, even if he remains entirely disconnected from Captain Marvel. . . and given the way Shazam worked, that would be kind of hard.

Surprisingly I agree with you. If the Joker is any kind of model then this Black Adam will not fit with Shazam's tone ( which is what made the film so successful) - and after all, Black Adam is really just a supporting character for Shazam. Also, while the Rock handles action comedy well , I don't see him carrying off a dark gritty superhero/antihero film. Is this film really necessary? Surely there must have been better characters for the rock to portray, and bring his massive star power over to DC.

Yeah. I like that he's involved with the character, but I'm not to comfortable with that much star power. Hopefully, Hamada can rein the character within the DCEU and stay true to what he is... a villain/anti-hero.

That looks cool. I honestly don't see the need for a Black Adam film, any more than a Riddler or Penguin film. But, if Doc Fate was in it it might be worth seeing.

Yeah I loved Shazam (knew next to nothing about the character going in so im looking forward to it because its the same sort of power set/story but with a totally new character in the Rock) but if we just need this movie to plant the seeds for a Dr. Fate movie or even JLA then im super in lol.

Surprisingly I agree with you. If the Joker is any kind of model then this Black Adam will not fit with Shazam's tone ( which is what made the film so successful) - and after all, Black Adam is really just a supporting character for Shazam. Also, while the Rock handles action comedy well , I don't see him carrying off a dark gritty superhero/antihero film. Is this film really necessary? Surely there must have been better characters for the rock to portray, and bring his massive star power over to DC.

It's necessary because Dwayne Johnson wanted to make the movie, lol. I honestly don't know if anyone on earth but him thinks that this character needs his own movie, but he wanted to do it and WB was more than willing to oblige.

I don't know. I like Dwayne Johnson, but at this point, I think he has as many flops as he has had hits, so I'm not sure that this movie will be huge just "because it's the Rock." Yeah, that didn't work with crap like Skyscraper and Baywatch, and even Hobbs and Shaw underperformed a bit in the U.S. (and it deserved to). But I also think that Johnson's frequent appearances as the big lovable teddy bear action hero might make it difficult for audiences to see him as this dark antihero. The last time I saw him play that type of character was... Faster, maybe? He was good there and maybe he could tap into that kind of intensity again but I think part of what helped him in that movie was the fact that he hadn't been in like 20 films a year at that point and people outside of wrestling fans weren't all that familiar with him yet. Now, we seen him play these goofy action hero characters for years and it might be tough to see him as Black Adam.

I remain skeptical. Black Adam is a character that is *really* easy to mess up, even if he remains entirely disconnected from Captain Marvel. . . and given the way Shazam worked, that would be kind of hard.

It's necessary because Dwayne Johnson wanted to make the movie, lol. I honestly don't know if anyone on earth but him thinks that this character needs his own movie, but he wanted to do it and WB was more than willing to oblige.

I don't know. I like Dwayne Johnson, but at this point, I think he has as many flops as he has had hits, so I'm not sure that this movie will be huge just "because it's the Rock." Yeah, that didn't work with crap like Skyscraper and Baywatch, and even Hobbs and Shaw underperformed a bit in the U.S. (and it deserved to). But I also think that Johnson's frequent appearances as the big lovable teddy bear action hero might make it difficult for audiences to see him as this dark antihero. The last time I saw him play that type of character was... Faster, maybe? He was good there and maybe he could tap into that kind of intensity again but I think part of what helped him in that movie was the fact that he hadn't been in like 20 films a year at that point and people outside of wrestling fans weren't all that familiar with him yet. Now, we seen him play these goofy action hero characters for years and it might be tough to see him as Black Adam.

The only way I can see BA working as a film is if it's tongue in cheek - not that serious. Maybe the same tone as the Witcher, which occasionally stops to take the piss out of itself ( and Hobbs and Shaw did the same, not the best movie ever but at least it knew not to take itself seriously at all ).
Really, the only way I think it will work is if they give BA the same treatment that Thor got in Ragnarok.

Totally agree that the film is a Rock vanity project - which gives us some idea of how vast his star power is.

I like the Rock, and my wife is Samoan so he can do very little wrong in our house- but he's just not a dark gritty actor. Guess we'll see how this one goes in 2021. Cheers.

Yeah, I like him too and I do think he's capable of more than just tongue-in-cheek action comedy... BUT he's worked himself into that niche so much now, it's hard to see him as anything other than a goofy action hero. Though I've heard he's good on Ballers. I tried watching it once and got bored, so I can't really say.

I suspect he's going to try to be both funny...and very dangerous. He hasn't played a badass villain in a while. This may be an attempt to go back there to a degree.

I suspect he's going to try to be both funny...and very dangerous. He hasn't played a badass villain in a while. This may be an attempt to go back there to a degree.

Can you refresh my memory please.
When was the last time he played a badass villain convincingly?

...when he was The Rock?

So..... never? It's hard to take a villain seriously whose repertoire relies heavily on eyebrow raises and "the people's elbow"

Even his badass character in the FnF series is so OTT ( before Hobbs and Shaw) that he's ridiculous. I like the Rock but he's got quite a limited range of acting, and when he works within that range he's very successful.

So..... never? It's hard to take a villain seriously whose repertoire relies heavily on eyebrow raises and "the people's elbow"

Even his badass character in the FnF series is so OTT ( before Hobbs and Shaw) that he's ridiculous. I like the Rock but he's got quite a limited range of acting, and when he works within that range he's very successful.
Playing a C list villain is not in the Rocks range? He has given Black Adam more attention then the character has ever had in his existence. Looking forward to this movie.

Playing a C list villain is not in the Rocks range? He has given Black Adam more attention then the character has ever had in his existence. Looking forward to this movie.

Not sure what you're going for there by contrasting Black Adam being a C-list villain and the Rock's limitations as an actor. Wouldn't it make more sense for the Rock to play a character with whom he shared some common personality traits - so its believable- rather than struggle to portray someone that no one aside from DC fans know about anyway ?

I guess it also depends how they play Black Adam ? He's not really a character known for his sense of humor, and action/comedy is what the Rock does best. If they don't go too serious with the film, then it has a good chance. If the Rock tries to play it totally straight, and gritty.....

Still, I could be totally wrong and the movie could be amazing. We'll just have to wait and see. Cheers.

Not sure what you're going for there by contrasting Black Adam being a C-list villain and the Rock's limitations as an actor. Wouldn't it make more sense for the Rock to play a character with whom he shared some common personality traits - so its believable- rather than struggle to portray someone that no one aside from DC fans know about anyway ?

I guess it also depends how they play Black Adam ? He's not really a character known for his sense of humor, and action/comedy is what the Rock does best. If they don't go too serious with the film, then it has a good chance. If the Rock tries to play it totally straight, and gritty.....

Still, I could be totally wrong and the movie could be amazing. We'll just have to wait and see. Cheers.
I think it will be funny and dark. Similar to Shazam but with more adult humor. This movie is going to be bigger then Aquaman. I would rather Black Adam to be a pure villain but I bet by the end of the movie he will join the JSA.

I think it will be funny and dark. Similar to Shazam but with more adult humor. This movie is going to be bigger then Aquaman. I would rather Black Adam to be a pure villain but I bet by the end of the movie he will join the JSA.

Funny and dark would work.

I think it's gonna be punk, rock....Rock?

He basically said it in his IG, rebellious do-gooder who doesn't play by the book

So basically Deadpool with a different charm and less teenage talk.

Not really a Black Adam from my understanding....but oh well, lol.

WB just want that BA/Shazam/Sup movie that will make them a billion

I think it's gonna be punk, rock....Rock?

He basically said it in his IG, rebellious do-gooder who doesn't play by the book

So basically Deadpool with a different charm and less teenage talk.

Not really a Black Adam from my understanding....but oh well, lol.

WB just want that BA/Shazam/Sup movie that will make them a billion

The guy in the Black Costume, Shazam's arch enemy....a rebellious do-gooder ? WTF ?

That's a bit like characterizing Superman as a dark brooding anti-hero who hands out his own brutal brand of rough justice and has to fight to control his urge to kill his enemies....

So Black Adam in name only. Not that anyone cares I guess, because really other than DC fans who even knows who Black Adam is ?

Hey, if it's a good movie I'll go see it. I mean I was skeptical about Guardians of the Galaxy, talk about a cast of C-listers, but it's one of my favourite films full stop.

Cool if true. I would LOVE to see Dr. Fate.

Longshot, but maybe Dr. Mid-Nite could also show up.

Honestly, I don’t even care about Black Adam. Give me a full-on JSA movie.

Hawkgirl on the big screen!!!? Yes please! She’s one of my favorite DC characters! I wonder who they will cast as her? Hopefully an Arab or Latina actress! That’d be cool... ahhh who am I kidding, I don’t care who they cast, I just want Hawkgirl!

Hawkgirl AND Hawkman? Finally!

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
osayi
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"