• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Shazam Black Adam spin off with The Rock

They give next to no backstory for the JSA? Wow. Was (not) expecting that!

Well, it's not their movie. Atom Smasher and Cyclone are given passive, exposition-dump-type backstories kind of like some of The Suicide Squad members. But they at least make the most of the time they are given, unlike Black Adam and skateboarding maestro Amon.

I would've liked to have learned more about Carter/Hawkman, but he's mainly there to give Black Adam a virtuous, noble hero type to play off of.

Well, it's not their movie. Atom Smasher and Cyclone are given passive, exposition-dump-type backstories kind of like some of The Suicide Squad members. But they at least make the most of the time they are given, unlike Black Adam and skateboarding maestro Amon.

I would've liked to have learned more about Carter/Hawkman, but he's mainly there to give Black Adam a virtuous, noble hero type to play off of.
Sounds Like A Job for Superman.

I am seeing it Sunday...the only review that matters to me is mine. To be honest though I always assumed this would get mediocre critic reviews but people will see it anyways cause of The Rock.

Ah yes, that time of the year where people lose sleep over "critics" score on RT.

I gave up on them long ago, you just need to read into some of those to see that they neither have a clear line, criticises on one movie the same they praise in another, nor seem to understand often what a movie genre they watch.

When they criticise horror movie for being scary, action movies for having...well action in it...you know that something is wrong.
But it gets attention and that is all that matters nowadays.

Its sad how much this kind of stuff influences the art of making movies, it takes a lot of fun out of it because many are so worried and try to please a few "critics" instead of hundres of fans and people who just want to enjoy stuff.

Hmm watching how critics respond and Rotten Tomatoes page are one of the interesting things to do when a new movie is about to come out.

First world problems. So I won two tickets for seeing it today, a day before its release in my country, but I can't seem to find any company at the last moment when they informed me. I'm contemplating whether I should go alone or not at all. I kind of don't care all that much to see it without company, but I may give it a try.

When you're having a big time superhero team in a movie...its best to explain to the audience who they are. Especially when no movies are planned to fill in those gaps

Hmm watching how critics respond and Rotten Tomatoes page are one of the interesting things to do when a new movie is about to come out.

It's interesting as a fan but it is not to be taken too seriously. Plenty of films do well that get bad scores and vice versa.

The problem comes when people lost the critics influence their enjoyment.

First world problems. So I won two tickets for seeing it today, a day before its release in my country, but I can't seem to find any company at the last moment when they informed me. I'm contemplating whether I should go alone or not at all. I kind of don't care all that much to see it without company, but I may give it a try.

I usually go alone if that happens and it's a film I want to see.

It's interesting as a fan but it is not to be taken too seriously. Plenty of films do well that get bad scores and vice versa.

The problem comes when people lost the critics influence their enjoyment.
Hmm for franchises, bad critical reception isn't good in the long run.

See DCEU for eXample.

Roger Friedman of Showbiz 411 says everyone in Hollywood have been whispering for months that this would be a stinker. He says WBD knew they had a turkey on their hands which is why they made the decision to dump this in mid-October.

Ah yes, that time of the year where people lose sleep over "critics" score on RT.

I gave up on them long ago, you just need to read into some of those to see that they neither have a clear line, criticises on one movie the same they praise in another, nor seem to understand often what a movie genre they watch.

When they criticise horror movie for being scary, action movies for having...well action in it...you know that something is wrong.
But it gets attention and that is all that matters nowadays.

Its sad how much this kind of stuff influences the art of making movies, it takes a lot of fun out of it because many are so worried and try to please a few "critics" instead of hundres of fans and people who just want to enjoy stuff.

Great thesis statement and then the example right after. Usually people point to other examples. You just produced your own.

Roger Friedman of Showbiz 411 says everyone in Hollywood have been whispering for months that this would be a stinker. He says WBD knew they had a turkey on their hands which is why they made the decision to dump this in mid-October.

When does DC not have at least one turkey on their hands?

So I saw it about an hour ago. Truth is I've seen worse superhero flicks, even some of the recent MCU entries bothered me more, but it's still mediocre to bad.

The first half was kind of ok. I liked Black Adam's reappearance, JSA was pretty good (with the exception of Atom Smasher who severely lacked charisma) and it had a fast pacing. It was still generic but part of my interest was maintained.

After a while I stopped caring. The writing is pretty bad, the plot became convoluted while stupid at the same time, the rest of the characters were either annoying or completely bland and the action became tiring. I have low tolerance in CGI and green screen overuse these days, especially when they look as bad as this. Snyder would feel proud.

The infamous cameo felt completely forced and made zero sense.
They couldn't have send Superman all this time to stop Black Adam or even more so to stop the big baddie at the end so Fate wouldn't have to sacrifice himself and release Adam from prison in a desperate move, after all the trouble they went to convince him to surrender, but Waller could send send him just to threaten The Rock and leave. After he worked with the team and saved everyone. Also why would Supes or JSA for that matter follow Waller's instructions in the first place? Didn't she only have access to second rate villains with Task Force X? I don't know what changed this time around.

The classic Reeve theme in the end pretty much confirmed that WB is once again throwing stuff in the wall and try to see what sticks.

So sounds like this film is trying to be the DCEU Venom. :o
Can't do that without a lead the quality of Hardy. And well the Rock is many things, but a good actor ain't one of them.

Also good call not giving this it's own forum. Early box office numbers suggest we don't need to worry about a sequel. :hehe:

I have no issue going alone to see films, and get a free cinema ticket every month so am likely to go at some point.

So I saw it about an hour ago. Truth is I've seen worse superhero flicks, even some of the recent MCU entries bothered me more, but it's still mediocre to bad.

The first half was kind of ok. I liked Black Adam's reappearance, JSA was pretty good (with the exception of Atom Smasher who severely lacked charisma) and it had a fast pacing. It was still generic but part of my interest was maintained.

After a while I stopped caring. The writing is pretty bad, the plot became convoluted while stupid at the same time, the rest of the characters were either annoying or completely bland and the action became tiring. I have low tolerance in CGI and green screen overuse these days, especially when they look as bad as this. Snyder would feel proud.

The infamous cameo felt completely forced and made zero sense.
They couldn't have send Superman all this time to stop Black Adam or even more so to stop the big baddie at the end so Fate wouldn't have to sacrifice himself and release Adam from prison in a desperate move, after all the trouble they went to convince him to surrender, but Waller could send send him just to threaten The Rock and leave. After he worked with the team and saved everyone. Also why would Supes or JSA for that matter follow Waller's instructions in the first place? Didn't she only have access to second rate villains with Task Force X? I don't know what changed this time around.

The classic Reeve theme in the end pretty much confirmed that WB is once again throwing stuff in the wall and try to see what sticks.
Thanks for that. Hawkman any good?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"