Shazam Box Office Thread $

Johnson's ego must be something else, because that whole article stinks of desperation.

I'm not usually this guy, but ''sources'' and ''someone who worked on the movie'' said??

The PR team cooked the books and called in a favor on this one.

totally, he wants this to look a success no matter the cost... the GA don't even care at this point, they've moved on, it's the fan base he so desperately wants on his side who are watching this and cringing.

They just shouldn't have spent $200 million on making the movie. It's as simple as that. 50 million or possibly even more less and this movie is sitting in profit now.

I don't even know where that money went - it's not as if the FX were mind blowing.

Maybe this is too much like Scorpion King but I also think it would've been way more interesting if this movie was completely set in ancient Kahndaq.

That could've been a major differentiator as a) we don't have that many superhero movie period pieces b) we definitely don't have one set in ancient Egypt/Persian influenced culture.

I think that would've made it stand out even if the quality was the same...although a period piece like that probably would've jacked up the budget

Good point, it could have been iconic and built up this character that in later films feared simply due to his lore and legacy.

So does this mean we won't have a movie where Shazam fights Black Adam even if Shazam 2 does well?

I don't even know where that money went - it's not as if the FX were mind blowing.

Yeah, i mean the movie looks nice no doubt...CGI is not as bad as in Love and Thunder at times...but nothing really you point towards and go "That is next level FX"
So yeah, where this much money has gone looking at the movie...i dont know.

Nothing in there makes it feel like a 200 Million Dollar movie and it never should have been one.

So does this mean we won't have a movie where Shazam fights Black Adam even if Shazam 2 does well?

I wouldnt rule it out...however the chances of what The Rock wants more...a Superman vs Black Adam seems highly unlikely at this point.

Yeah I doubt it.

One, The Rock is only gonna get more expensive and arguably it's proven that he's not worth that money at least as Black Adam.

Two if the reports are to be believed, The Rock isn't the biggest fan of Shazam itself or just the producer behind it. I can't say whether it's true or not, but to me in the lead up to Black Adam it seemed like The Rock was waaaaaay more into hyping Black Adam vs Superman than Black Adam vs Shazam.

totally, he wants this to look a success no matter the cost... the GA don't even care at this point, they've moved on, it's the fan base he so desperately wants on his side who are watching this and cringing.
Johnson's ego must be something else, because that whole article stinks of desperation.

Eh it's not really ego necessarily. It's being a salesman. For better or worse as a salesman you're supposed to hype up your own product and make it seem like it's good and successful. A lot of actors do it. I don't fault him for that. If he wants to do it? Then cool.
It's not like what he did with Baywatch where he was trying to make it seem like critics had it out for the movie. But even that he took it in stride and made a speech accepting his Razzie Award.

It seems like people have started to turn on The Rock a bit and I don't really know why. He seems like a good enough guy. I think he could be a lot better with his movies. But I don't really hear anything bad about him in his personal life. He's just a lifelong athlete and showman and it shows

Yeah, i mean the movie looks nice no doubt...CGI is not as bad as in Love and Thunder at times...but nothing really you point towards and go "That is next level FX"
So yeah, where this much money has gone looking at the movie...i dont know.

Nothing in there makes it feel like a 200 Million Dollar movie and it never should have been one.

Yeah I'll be honest I feel this way about most SFX heavy movies. Avatar 2 will change that but I can't really think of the last time I was really blown away by the SFX in a movie. I guess Thanos himself, but then there was a lot of mediocre/below average looking CGI in IW and EG other than him.

When I hear these things cost even 150m and it looks worse than movies that came out like a decade ago, it's kinda a bummer to see. From what I hear it's because these CGI artists are overworked, underpaid and stretched very thin across movies, games, and TV compared to back in the day. That and audiences don't really care that much. I don't hear anyone I know in the GA praising the CG in a movie anymore. Nor do I hear people complaining about the CGI ruining the movie for them. And I don't really see movies, save for Avatar, selling themselves on how the good the CGI or SFX is in the movie. I just don't think audiences care much
EXpnghn.png

EDIT: So I just saw this was filming in June 2021 so they had to deal a lot with the beginning of COVID protocols while filming. So to be fair, maybe that jacked up the costs too

Screenshot_20221210-100204_Chrome.jpg
Can you believe this? Take their time? You had years to get BA right now you suddenly want to take your time? I'm sorry but that's ridiculous....

With all due respect to The Rock, Captain America First Avenger is just on a completely different level in terms of its quality and how it made people care about Steve Rogers as a character, and The Avengers also came out shortly afterwards and that also boasted Cap's profile heading into Winter Soldier.

People didn't come away from Black Adam with the same reverence for his character, and there is no Avengers type hit coming that Adam is going to be in.

The spend on The First Avenger was also not as high as Black Adam. Also, the movie came out 11 years ago.

Yeah I'll be honest I feel this way about most SFX heavy movies. Avatar 2 will change that but I can't really think of the last time I was really blown away by the SFX in a movie. I guess Thanos himself, but then there was a lot of mediocre/below average looking CGI in IW and EG other than him.

When I hear these things cost even 150m and it looks worse than movies that came out like a decade ago, it's kinda a bummer to see. From what I hear it's because these CGI artists are overworked, underpaid and stretched very thin across movies, games, and TV compared to back in the day. That and audiences don't really care that much. I don't hear anyone I know in the GA praising the CG in a movie anymore. Nor do I hear people complaining about the CGI ruining the movie for them. And I don't really see movies, save for Avatar, selling themselves on how the good the CGI or SFX is in the movie. I just don't think audiences care much
EXpnghn.png

EDIT: So I just saw this was filming in June 2021 so they had to deal a lot with the beginning of COVID protocols while filming. So to be fair, maybe that jacked up the costs too

The recent Planet Of The Apes movies cost less than BA and had some absolutely stunning and seamless CGI.

Eh it's not really ego necessarily. It's being a salesman. For better or worse as a salesman you're supposed to hype up your own product and make it seem like it's good and successful. A lot of actors do it. I don't fault him for that. If he wants to do it? Then cool.
It's not like what he did with Baywatch where he was trying to make it seem like critics had it out for the movie. But even that he took it in stride and made a speech accepting his Razzie Award.

It seems like people have started to turn on The Rock a bit and I don't really know why. He seems like a good enough guy. I think he could be a lot better with his movies. But I don't really hear anything bad about him in his personal life. He's just a lifelong athlete and showman and it shows
Compared to other actors, I feel he tries harder to promote/spin a movie - that's natural, it's admirable, all said and done, but surely the movie should speak for itself, which sadly, it hasn't.

EXpnghn.png

I live in Vancouver and know a few people who know people in the FX industry, from my understanding a company makes a quote of how much they can do a movie - studios go for the cheapest option that makes sense to them without losing quality. Once contracts have been awarded, I hear more demands are put on the company, reshoots, time frames etc and what the company initially budgeted X amount for, actually costs more and they often lose money... the studios basically have them held hostage saying if you pull out you won't ever get work again.. now, hopefully this isn't the case but I hear it across a few media platforms.

Your image is actually really amazing how the likes of Jurassic park, PoTc etc had amazing FX and now we get snap chat filters.

The recent Planet Of The Apes movies cost less than BA and had some absolutely stunning and seamless CGI.
That was made with smaller stars and more importantly weren't filmed during COVID protocols.

Those do have amazing CGI tho. That might be the last time I was really impressed with CGI in a movie. Maybe Alita at parts like the Murder Ball scene. I'm very much looking forward to the new Wes Ball series. Did not realize that it has been 5 years since WotPotA.

Compared to other actors, I feel he tries harder to promote/spin a movie - that's natural, it's admirable, all said and done, but surely the movie should speak for itself, which sadly, it hasn't.
Again I just think that's just from his background and even if it wasn't I don't see the harm in what he's doing.

Idk I just never got why it rubbed people the wrong way so much. Then again I think a lot of it is because some people online are bothered by any level of an outward display of self confidence.

He always seems thankful and grateful for the position he's been put in. AS long as he's not insulting people who didn't like or didn't see the movie, I can't hate on it

I live in Vancouver and know a few people who know people in the FX industry, from my understanding a company makes a quote of how much they can do a movie - studios go for the cheapest option that makes sense to them without losing quality. Once contracts have been awarded, I hear more demands are put on the company, reshoots, time frames etc and what the company initially budgeted X amount for, actually costs more and they often lose money... the studios basically have them held hostage saying if you pull out you won't ever get work again.. now, hopefully this isn't the case but I hear it across a few media platforms.

Your image is actually really amazing how the likes of Jurassic park, PoTc etc had amazing FX and now we get snap chat filters.
Yeah it's a shame.

For example, I remember the studio that worked on that animated film Sausage Party ended up closing down right around when the movie came out even with it's success because they were price gauged.

Again I just think that's just from his background and even if it wasn't I don't see the harm in what he's doing.

Idk I just never got why it rubbed people the wrong way so much. Then again I think a lot of it is because some people online are bothered by any level of an outward display of self confidence.

He always seems thankful and grateful for the position he's been put in. AS long as he's not insulting people who didn't like or didn't see the movie, I can't hate on it

Yeah it's a shame.

For example, I remember the studio that worked on that animated film Sausage Party ended up closing down right around when the movie came out even with it's success because they were price gauged.
loads have closed down - I remember around Oscar season they mentioned it as one of the companies that won either had difficulties themselves or highlighted it..

Going back to Dwayne Johnson, don't get me wrong, I like the guy, he's a gentleman, however I feel the movie sells itself and sometimes over promotion to some, often me, smells like desperation.

I hope he gets another go at BA in the future movies..

I don’t get people turning on Johnson either. The guy is trying to promote his work and make it a success. Can’t fault him for that. On this occasion he just needed a better movie to back him up.

Hopefully Shazam 2 is a success and they can incorporate BA into the 3rd movie.

It's a shame the budgets are always, or almost always so high with these DC/WB efforts.

I quite enjoyed Black Adam, its pretty much the only superhero movie/project I have liked in recent years, with the exception of Spider-Man:NWH.

I had hoped it would make a bit more.

I maintain making Black Adam the protagonist of a solo movie and never having him interact with Shazam on screen was a mistake.

Black Adam, Venom, Kraven the Hunter, IMHO they don't work well as solo characters.

If true (which I suspect), it’s mostly on the studio. When a movie has a poor screen test, you sink another $90m in it hoping it will turn good with reshoot patchwork? I can see some money for reshoot to salvage it somewhat but not so much that you can fund a good mid budget film with it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
anarchomando1
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"