Black Manta?

celldog said:
Well, Jor-El was never some evil dictator dad either.

Nor is he in Smallville. That's just BS that Brainiac made up. And technically, the Jor-El that Clark talks to isn't actually Jor -El, but the ship's artificial inteligence, akin to the Eradicator.

celldog said:
Luthor never had a Dad.

Yeah, he did. He just died befoe we met Lex in the comics.

celldog said:
Their was never some Kryptonian cave.

This is true.

But none of those are as big a change as Aquaman being a sleeper agent for an Atlantian invasion.

Id like to see this show actually use characters from Aquaman, since there probably wont be any conflict with other shows and probably not as much liscencing stuff to tangle with.
Id like to see them use Ocean Master for the evil brother aspect.
and a few episodes in use Black manta as a sort of ex navy seal type hitman. He could like Deathstroke under water.

Another thing I just thought of, with him being Aqua man, how much of the show will be under water and how much will be on land?
It would probably be really expensive to do most of the show in the water, like fight scenes with Black manta or something like that. but it would make more scene than to have most of the show be on land, and have him occassionally be under water.

The Question said:
But none of those are as big a change as Aquaman being a sleeper agent for an Atlantian invasion.

i disagree...aquaman has always been king of atlantis first and foremost, even with regard to his duties on the justice league. Atlantis has always been hostile with the surface since we pollute etc. Atlantis has tried to invade a few times also fed up with tthe surface planet.

princes commonly lead the country's armies. so why would it be so hard to imagine a young A.C. being sent to the surface to sxope us out, find out our weaknesses so that he can protect his Atlantean home.

once he gets here, he falls in love with this girl, rachel or w/e. makes some friends. then back home, his dad is ready to go to war, A.C. tries to persuade him otherwise. Ocean master is like "he doesnt deserve to be prince, i should be next in succession.", etc etc.

i think that sounds like a pretty good dramatic premise and while maybe not his exact origin, pretty darn true to the character. besides, SV is nowhere close to Supe's origins, and that show does alright.

Because he was supposed to have come here as a baby. He didn't even know ATlangis existed until he was about 18-20 years old. In the comics, that is. And that seems like the way it will be in the show too.

The Question said:
Because he was supposed to have come here as a baby. He didn't even know ATlangis existed until he was about 18-20 years old. In the comics, that is. And that seems like the way it will be in the show too.

like i said, in the other thread, you obviously know more about aquaman and his origins then i do....but in all fairness, none of us know how this show is going to start, proceed or what the premise is. we're all just speculating.

if what you say about coming here at 18-20 and finding out about his atlantean heritage is the premise of the show. it seems like a SV retread which i was hoping theyd avoid.

i think it owuld be an interesting dynamic if we have an Atlantean who knows hes an atlantean disocvering what it means to be human as opposed to an alien, thinking hes human discovering what it means to be alien.

I guess the best way to describe it is in SV, Jor-el supposedly sent Clark to conquer, and clark discovers that and tries to avoid his "destiny"

what if in Merct Reef, A.C. knowingly, comes to conquer, and decides against it.

interesting little dynamic between the two and a great character debate if you ask me!

Well, it wouldn't exactly be a Smallville retread. His discovering Atlantis is a very big part of his story. One that has been talked about in the comics before. If you're doing an Aquaman show where you dhow his origin, you kind of have to show him discovering Atlantis as a major storyline. With Superman, you could cover it in a few episodes and move on.

The Question said:
Well, it wouldn't exactly be a Smallville retread. His discovering Atlantis is a very big part of his story. One that has been talked about in the comics before. If you're doing an Aquaman show where you dhow his origin, you kind of have to show him discovering Atlantis as a major storyline. With Superman, you could cover it in a few episodes and move on.

fair enough....maybe you could do a post about how he actually discovers his origins or post a link to where that information can be found?

Basically, he was nomadic for most of his life. He lived on land with Aurthur Curry, but after a while started wandering the oceans. Eventually, while exploring the Ocean's depths, he syubled across Atlantis, and was captured by the fascist regime that had taken over. He eventually escaped, and fled towards the surface, where he started destroying fishing boats and the like. He eventually went back to Atlantis and helped overthrow the fascist regime and reclaim his throne.

What episode revealed Jor-el as an articial intelligence??

Well, it's pretty obvious. I mean, Jor-El died on Krypton. Clark is just talking to the ship's computer. Unless Jor-El's ghost is somehow haunting Clark, which would be weird.

The Question said:
Well, it's pretty obvious. I mean, Jor-El died on Krypton. Clark is just talking to the ship's computer. Unless Jor-El's ghost is somehow haunting Clark, which would be weird.

in the donner movies (which smallville is loosely based) clark is able to talk to jor-el's essence. i think thats the same thing thats going on in smallville. besides, clark had been talking to jor-el long before there was a ship.

I always thought he was talking to a compuer simulation in the Donner movies too. And what do you mean "before there was a ship"? The ship was on the show the whole time.

the ship showed up in last season's finale.

No, the ship Clark came to Earth in was on the show since season one.

that ship was destroyed in season 2 or 3

I know. But I wasn't talking about the black ship from season 4. The way I see it, the Jor-El Clark speaks to is the ship's computer. When it was destroyed, the program entered the Kryptonian computers in the caves.

wasnt black manta 'embargoed' from justice league unlimited because of this show. that would lead to me to believe he is in this show.

and then the computer program uploaded itself from the caves to the FOS? i think its easier to believe its Jor-el's essence and then we dont have to worry about uploading/downloading/entering/leaving, etc. In any event its not "pretty obvious."

To me it is. And the fortress of solitude was built from a crystal that was formed in the caves, so it makes sense. And I feel that it makes alot more sense than "he's talking to the ghost of his father".

the FOS was built from a crystal that was constructed of three elements which were on earth, long before krypton exploded, i.e. before Jor-el existed/died. I'm tired of arguing, we'll agree to disagree.

I know. But it was formed in the cave. The program could have latched onto it.

The Question said:
To me it is. And the fortress of solitude was built from a crystal that was formed in the caves, so it makes sense. And I feel that it makes alot more sense than "he's talking to the ghost of his father".

Either way, Jor-El is still being played waaay out of character. Which was the original point anyway.
:supes:

That's why I say it's the Eradicator. Personality wise, the "Jor-El" Clark speaks to is much more like the Eradicator.

musclesforsupes said:
I dont think this series is gonna last truthfully.

Why? We have'nt seen anything yet. It has a lot of potential to make Aquaman a big name character, and besides even if people don't like aquaman or are familiar with him the teen population will watch it because it's a WB teen show withattractive young people. I have alot of friends who don't even like comics and they watch smallvile, because it's a good show. As for the show possibly not being like the cahracter's real orgin, well there is alot to explore since we know very little of aquaman's teenage years. Alot of comic book movies have a alternate storyline from the comics, that's all part of making it acessible to people. I just look at smallville as an unofficial 'ultimate superman' orgin and I believe that mercy reef will develop the same liability factor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"