Yahya Abdul-Mateen II IS Black Manta

Web-Head

Up, Up and Away
Reaction score
Yahya Abdul-Mateen II best known for his role as Cadillac on the Netflix series “The Get Down,” has been tapped to play the villain Black Manta in “Aquaman,” starring Jason Momoa.

Patrick Wilson and Amber Heard also star in the Warner Bros. movie. James Wan is directing the superhero film with Peter Safran producing. Deborah Snyder, Zack Snyder, and Rob Cowan are executive producing.

Warner Bros. declined to comment on the casting.

The studio said last year that the title character would be caught between a surface world constantly ravaging the sea and the undersea Atlanteans, who are ready to lash out in revolt. Aquaman is based on the DC Comics character who’s the king of Atlantis, a half-human and half-Atlantean named Arthur Curry. He was first introduced in the early 1940s.

Black Manta first appeared in 1967 comics as an antagonist to the underwater superhero.

Abdul-Mateen was also a finalist to play young Lando Calrissian in the Han Solo “Star Wars” spinoff and can be seen next in “Baywatch” opposite Dwayne Johnson.

He is repped by Gersh.

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/a...ta-get-down-yahya-abdul-mateen-ii-1201974589/

Clear pr move to distract from the Affleck news. But this guy has the look for sure. Glad to see Manta is in. Haven't seen the guy act but I trust Wan

Not super familiar with Yahya, but he doesn't look like a bad choice.*

Wasn't expecting Ocean Master and Black Manta, but I'm guessing only one (likely Orm) is focused as the heel.

Even more motivation to finish The Get Down.

I approve! Aquaman is shaping up to be one amazing movie it seems. Too bad there's all that chaos with Flash and Batman!

I don't know much about Yahya but from what I've heard he's a phenomenal actor!

If done right this movie could blow ANY movie with Poseidon in it or about Poseidon that has ever happened out of the water.

I so want this to be awesome and I'm sure that the trailer should easily generate buzz due to being an underwater epic (generally speaking)

Definitely excited to hear about whose playing Black Manta and this coming together in general.

Last edited:
No idea how good this guy is but the fact we're getting Black Manta is ****ing cool!

Good choice. I liked him in The Get Down.

Wan, don't waste his skills...

[YT]KXNqWneEOSI[/YT]

Good choice. I liked him in The Get Down.

Agreed. Honestly his talent exceeded the material he was given. That could possibly also be the case with this movie, given the dceu track record so far, lol.

Is there some film of his you guys would recommend watching? I'd like to get familiar with the guy and I've no desire to watch that TV series.

Clear pr move to distract from the Affleck news. But this guy has the look for sure. Glad to see Manta is in. Haven't seen the guy act but I trust Wan

Eh, maybe. I don't really agree, though. It's not like he's a well known actor.

Last edited:
Is there some film of his you guys would recommend watching? I'd like to get familiar with the guy and I've no desire to watch that TV series.

He's pretty new, so he hasn't been in much. He's in a few things coming out this year including Baywatch.

Is it confirmed? I thought he's just being considered for the role but it isn't finalised yet. Being tapped for a role doesn't mean he has it.

He's pretty new, so he hasn't been in much. He's in a few things coming out this year including Baywatch.

disgusted-clint-eastwood.gif

I'll check out the other things though, thanks.

Is it confirmed? I thought he's just being considered for the role but it isn't finalised yet. Being tapped for a role doesn't mean he has it.

Says he was offered the role, i don't see him turning down the biggest role of his life

Yes, variety confirmed it.

Yeah, they rushed the casting of one of their films' antagonists just to distract from the catastrophic news that their Actor/Director is only Actor now.

Excellent. Love me some Black Manta.

Yeah, they rushed the casting of one of their films' antagonists just to distract from the catastrophic news that their Actor/Director is only Actor now.

Not what I said. They didn't rush casting but they rushed the announcement to distract us with some positive news. Pretty suspect that we get two huge casting announcements immediately after the Affleck news.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hugoodeww
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"