Yahya Abdul-Mateen II IS Black Manta

Yeah, Double Toasted kinda nailed it... they pointed out that he's angry ALL the time. Even before his dad gets killed, he's full of rage for some reason or another. Given that he's the kind of guy who is resourceful enough to reverse engineer alien technology, he should have been more methodical. Yes, I get that he wants revenge for his father's death, but that shouldn't be it. I hope they develop him more in the sequel.

I think that's kind of the point. He's a big ball of emotion. And the depth of his emotional reactions are pretty much the only reason "revenge" works as a story point in this film. Yayah is crazy charismatic, and actually a pretty fantastic actor, and they can go some interesting places with him in the future, in the terrorist/field commander vein. He definitely needs some more development.

Manta can be cool and calculated when he wants to be, look at the mid-credits scene where he warns Doctor against experimenting his broken Manta helmet.

I loved those lines.. some think those are cheesy but I think those lines (including Orm's "I am Ocean Master"and Aquaman's
"I am protector of the deep" ) are pure comic booky lines.

me too. the whole movie was very comic bookey.
and it worked for me.

i'm not going into an aquaman movie, expecting to see shakespeare theater. lol.

I think that's kind of the point. He's a big ball of emotion. And the depth of his emotional reactions are pretty much the only reason "revenge" works as a story point in this film. Yayah is crazy charismatic, and actually a pretty fantastic actor, and they can go some interesting places with him in the future, in the terrorist/field commander vein. He definitely needs some more development.

Did you like him more than you liked Steppenwolf and Parallax?

Yep, a good intro here and a lot they can play with next time out.

Well this is pretty clearly a supporting/henchman type character, Flint, so I expect a little less than I expect from a main villain like Steppenwolf.

I didn't love or hate Steppenwolf. He was a fairly mediocre villain with some badass moments and some interesting elements, but I've talked about what else I would like to see from him. Never said he was a great villain.

You've been reported for your repeated obsessive snark with my posting history.

You reported me for asking a question? Okay then.

Hi guys. Do any of you wonder how Black Manta will be a threat to a Arthur in a sequel now that Arthur is the King of the Seven Seas?

lol black manta definitely cooler than those two.
mainly because steppenwolf and parallax are mediocre villians in terms of design and motivations. also i keep being reminded of how stupid peter sarsgaard looked in GL. hahhaa

Hi guys. Do any of you wonder how Black Manta will be a threat to a Arthur in a sequel now that Arthur is the King of the Seven Seas?

Terrorism! Weapons, war, idk

Manta can be cool and calculated when he wants to be, look at the mid-credits scene where he warns Doctor against experimenting his broken Manta helmet.

I have no problem saying I think Kane-Manta was just right. He's a villain with no apologies. Yes, he's a jerk. We meet him and he's a genuine bastard. Then he's pissed off all the time because his dad perished on the sub. So? Should they have written a scene where he later visits a Baskin Robbins and brothel, in that order? The film takes place over a relatively small period of time re: adult Arthur. It's not something that unfolds over years. Some people don't get over being wronged that quickly. What's the point of a Manta who shows up and keeps struggling with what he's doing? I wanted a Manta who showed up to do some damage and Wan supplied exactly that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"