Black Panther (2018) vs The Dark Knight (2008)

The track record for MCU second installments from most metrics indicates BP2 will likely not be as well received. Only 2nd film to be liked more than the original is Captain America: The Winter Soldier. This is going be metrics, like RT, IMDB, etc.

I think they were for the most part received as they deserved to be. The MCU were making weak sequels but hopefully that changes with someone like Coogler. The Russos achieved it with TWS and were then rewarded with 3 huge event films so at least Feige & co are noticing and rewarding this behaviour.

That’s true, Marvel seem to struggle with the quality of sequels matching up to the original, but then they tend to nail the 3rd movie :loco:.

However, if Coogler learns the right lessens from the criticisms of BP, the sequel could be truly special.

I think what worries me is being able to top Killmonger. I think that is going to be hard to do. I hope they can do it.

I think they were for the most part received as they deserved to be. The MCU were making weak sequels but hopefully that changes with someone like Coogler. The Russos achieved it with TWS and were then rewarded with 3 huge event films so at least Feige & co are noticing and rewarding this behaviour.

I agree, except I prefer GotG2 over GotG1, but I acknowledge my status of being in the minority on this, LOL

Voted TDK but yeah I think it's remarkable how Black Panther rivals TDK (and arguably betters it) in some quarters, but trails behind in some technical areas. With BP's massive success (meaning Coogler will have greater creative control) and the less universe-building and standalone-focused direction Phase 4 seems to be heading to, BP2 really stands in good stead to topping TDK.

The single aspect about BP that I would argue rivals/betters TDK is the fight scenes, and I'll still take the Joker chase scene over any action scene in BP.

I think what worries me is being able to top Killmonger. I think that is going to be hard to do. I hope they can do it.

I agree, except I prefer GotG2 over GotG1, but I acknowledge my status of being in the minority on this, LOL

That true about Killmonger, I have limited knowledge of BP, but aren’t him and Klaw his main villains? Doesn’t leave much room for things to improve, unless they make some big changes to one of his lesser villains.

And while I do think GOTG2 is as good as the first, I do love the sequel still.

The single aspect about BP that I would argue rivals/betters TDK is the fight scenes, and I'll still take the Joker chase scene over any action scene in BP.

Agree. The Joker chase scene is part of the pantheon of great cinematic moments.

That true about Killmonger, I have limited knowledge of BP, but aren’t him and Klaw his main villains? Doesn’t leave much room for things to improve, unless they make some big changes to one of his lesser villains.

And while I do think GOTG2 is as good as the first, I do love the sequel still.

Typically they are the best known. Killmonger was just so well done, I think making a superior villain will be hard. The MCU villains are much improved, but it is hard to top probably the best single movie villain you've had to this point (only Loki I say tops him, but that has somewhat to do with multiple appearances).

I think probably as of now only two movies have the chance to top TDK -- BP2 and WW2. BP2 is challenging in that
it loses its Joker-status antagonist in Killmonger and Klaw
, plus Killmonger was already so great it's such a hard act to follow, while WW2 can still bring such a level of villain to the foil because Ares was piss poor.

WW2's challenge, imo, is that Gadot's dramatic range is a bit limited, but I've faith in Jenkins to pull it out of her, given her track record of getting the best out of her leads.

That’s true, Marvel seem to struggle with the quality of sequels matching up to the original, but then they tend to nail the 3rd movie :loco:.

However, if Coogler learns the right lessens from the criticisms of BP, the sequel could be truly special.

There haven't been many complete trilogies in the MCU yet. Thor follows what you say in most people's eyes, Iron Man is a bit shakier since the third one was a bit divisive, and Cap has a fairly equal opinion on his second and third (both being held higher in regard than the first).

But in general I think the MCU is in a better position now than before Marvel Studios was it's own thing. Since then we've seen an increase in having directors with distinct voices get to do the films in their way, while still managing to make it fit into the overall universe.

I think I like GotG2 more than most. It has some of the best emotional moments in the whole MCU for me (from the unlikeliest sources).

Black Panther was excellent, but The Dark Knight still regins supreme.

Dark Knight. Close but Begins probably beats it out slightly. Far superior to Rises.

I think I like GotG2 more than most. It has some of the best emotional moments in the whole MCU for me (from the unlikeliest sources).

Agreed. I liked Ronan more than most, but Ego was a better villain. The movie hits me harder emotionally more than just about any of the MCU films, with the exception of maybe the Steve/Peggy scene in TWS.

Dark Knight. Close but Begins probably beats it out slightly. Far superior to Rises.

TDK and BB both curb stomp it, IMO. TDKR is closer, but still no.

Agreed. I liked Ronan more than most, but Ego was a better villain. The movie hits me harder emotionally more than just about any of the MCU films, with the exception of maybe the Steve/Peggy scene in TWS.

Yeah I liked Kurt Russell as Ego too. Yondu/Rocket and Yondu/Star-Lord are awesome scenes.

Yeah I liked Kurt Russell as Ego too. Yondu/Rocket and Yondu/Star-Lord are awesome scenes.

The ending of that movie crushes my soul, LOL!!! Say what we will about Marvel being a machine, this is 100% a James Gunn film, LOL!

These polls are pointless. Nothing is ever going to top The Dark Knight. When the superhero genre dies off, it will be seen as the best of the bunch.

The unique thing about BP is that plenty of black folks would vote BP ahead of TDK because of the themes raised which are unique to their experiences -- and they wouldn't be wrong. Read a few reviews which look deeper into the movie, like how the final fight's setting is an analogue for the underground railroad, how Killmonger's swag represents the problematic hypermasculinity of black males. All very interesting.

The unique thing about BP is that plenty of black folks would vote BP ahead of TDK because of the themes raised which are unique to their experiences -- and they wouldn't be wrong. Read a few reviews which look deeper into the movie, like how the final fight's setting is an analogue for the underground railroad, how Killmonger's swag represents the problematic hypermasculinity of black males. All very interesting.

Oh, it’s a good film. It’s just not as good.

51_B0_H48_A4_VL.jpg
Looks like I chose the best timing to watch this movie. :oldrazz:

The fact that people keep making "vs The Dark Knight" threads kind of provides the answer to the question.

The Dark Knight. All day every day.

Yep.

I wonder if we’ll ever see a superhero film better than it in our lifetimes. I hope we do.

Love me some BP though. Easily my favorite MCU film.

Suppose I should mentally prepare for a poll of Infinity War and every subsequent MCU film to be polled against The Dark Knight as well..

You're not prepared for it already? Oh man is your brain aneurysm gonna be massive when the time comes.

The Dark Knight of course. No contest.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jeremija
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"