Black Widow News and Speculation Thread

I didn't even know the trailer came out. Movie looks like it will be a joy, looking forward to having an MCU movie after this long break. Good to have some news to talk about. I liked Yelona, going to need to find a clip I like to change my avatar.

So, some folks might get excited about this:

If you can't watch the video, basically the character of Ursa Major has been hinted at appearing in Black Widow; there's a big (literally, 7'2'' and buff as all hell) actor who confirmed that his character is the one breaking down the gulag door in the trailer, not Red Guardian. Granted, I don't think he'll be doing the whole turning into a bear thing; they might just go as far as they did with M'Baku in that respect.

(As someone who just found out about the existence of this character, it sounds prime stereotypical Russian.)

Last edited:
One thing I didn't notice before were pectoral muscle armor pieces that look very action figure like on Skullmaster's suit. The old man lines crafted on the metal faceplate with shades an odd approach as well as the character doesn't appear very visually threatening.

I was reading over some of the comments pertaining to Skullmaster's design gathered together and linked here : Taskmaster In 'Black Widow' Disappoints Gail Simone; Fans Hate It, Too

The comments about Skullmaster getting ready for a paintball tournament or nerf bow and arrow were funny but the one mentioning Disney was editing out skull's in their movies to play in China I think may be spot-on.

Here's some info. on Disney censoring films to play in China from C-Net:
Marvel is censoring films for China, and you probably didn't even notice

Last edited:
yzPzQjc.gif
3irWZVP.gif

l97Zb3q.gif
BEWWSWg.gif

y1LkNi0.gif
qmJNVGG.gif

One thing I didn't notice before were pectoral muscle armor pieces that look very action figure like on Skullmaster's suit. The old man lines crafted on the metal faceplate with shades an odd approach as well as the character doesn't appear very visually threatening.

I was reading over some of the comments pertaining to Skullmaster's design gathered together and linked here : Taskmaster In 'Black Widow' Disappoints Gail Simone; Fans Hate It, Too

The comments about Skullmaster getting ready for a paintball tournament or nerf bow and arrow were funny but the one mentioning Disney was editing out skull's in their movies to play in China I think may be spot-on.

Here's some info. on Disney censoring films to play in China from C-Net:
Marvel is censoring films for China, and you probably didn't even notice
I like his design, but I am a little disappointed they didn't go with the iconic Skull design. It definitely makes sense if it was for it to play in China.

Most-liked Hollywood movie trailers of all time on YouTube:

1. Avengers: Infinity War - Trailer 1 (3.5M)
2. Avengers: Endgame - Trailer 1 (3.2M)
3. Avengers: Endgame - Trailer 2 (2.9M)
4. Spider-Man: Far From Home - Trailer (1.8M)
5. Avengers: Infinity War - Trailer 2 (1.8M)
6. Detective Pikachu - Trailer 1 (1.4M)
7. Joker - Teaser (1.4M)
8. Venom - Trailer 1 ( 1.4M)
9. Lion King - Teaser (1.3M)
10. Black Widow - Teaser (1.2M)

KJendmc.gif

THE HYPE IS REAL!

It was a solid trailer and it looks cool. I'm sure it'll be a good movie and I'll enjoy it. I like how it's shot more as a stripped down spy movie. But I'm not seeing anything that's blowing me away. It looks like another Marvel movie in that box. I don't see anything that is really all that unique. I'm not impressed. Marvel is great at pushing characters further, pushing stories, concepts, but they often times come up short in execution of the narrative. I gave them a pass because it was all leading up to something and there was this cohesive vision behind it and they made great films.

Post Endgame, my patience for these movies is thin. Now that it's over, I really want them to push these movies further narratively and get more daring and experimental. They achieved a zenith with the past films, but now in order to make these films remain as popular, they got to get more daring. That's the next step for them.

I just don't see why this movie needed to be a $200 million dollar movie. It could have been a fourth of that and done the same thing. I feel like in this post Joker world, you can do these things. Ironically, it looks a little quaint. Almost like an outdated mentality that you must make it this way. They don't need to all be these eventized looking blockbusters. I feel like the bigger this is, it actually sucks the character out of it.

All I'm saying is Disney can afford to get more daring with these. ****ing get Edgar Wroggt back and let him make anything he wants. Hire a filmmaker like Denis Villenueve if he wishes and let him make his two and a half hour Silver Surfer movie (this is hypothetical) Make a 50 million dollar Werewolf by Night movie. Actually make a scary ass horror film with Doc Strange 2. They can afford an interesting failure.

I think Feige is capable of doing all of this. I want these to be the best they can be, it's just they really need to shake things up. They're not gonna go away, and their peak will subside, but they can be like Pixar if they evolve.

I know Feige said this era will be more director driven. And they've earned me giving that a chance, but I'm curious to see what that will mean to him.

Also, ideally this should have come out before Infinity War. It's harder to get excited for this when we already saw her arc completed.

Last edited:
I don't see them changing things up too much if the films continue to be mega successful. I do think the studio will shake things up eventually, but I'd prefer it happen before they need to as a result of a failure or tangible audience fatigue. This is the blessing and the curse of having the same guy producing the films as well as running the studio. It's because of the way he's orchestrated everything that the MCU has been consistently successful and become a phenomenom, but that success will make it much harder for him to step out of his lane (particularly as the studio head) and be more eclectic in the choices he makes. We may not have gotten something like Joker if the DCEU had actually thrived, so that will likely be a major factor for the MCU as well.

In terms of the trailer, I'm a fan of it. To me this does feel more akin to the spy genre tone, but it may not be the complete 180° turn in that direction that some people would want with the MCU spectacle near the end. But perhaps moving 90° is the first step needed for the studio to eventually go all the way in the future.

Last edited:
Far From Home TEASER: 3 days, 26M views.
Black Widow teaser: 30 hours

@Shuri
Even better. And some were acting like nobody wanted this movie, its getting good reception all over. If this movie is as good as the teaser makes it look, it could come close to making as much as CM did or even more.

I don't see them changing things up too much if the films continue to be mega successful. I do think the studio will shake things up eventually, but I'd prefer it happen before they need to as a result of a failure or tangible audience fatigue. This is the blessing and the curse of having the same guy producing the films as well as running the studio. It's because of the way he's orchestrated everything that the MCU has been consistently successful and become a phenomenom, but that success will make it much harder for him to step out of his lane (particularly as the studio head) and be more eclectic in the choices he makes. We may not have gotten something like Joker if the DCEU had actually thrived, so that will likely be a major factor for the MCU as well.

In terms of the trailer, I'm a fan of it. To me this does feel more akin to the spy genre tone, but it may not be the complete 180° turn in that direction that some people would want with the MCU spectacle near the end. But perhaps moving 90° is the first step needed for the studio to eventually go all the way in the future.

See, I just don't think that's enough. I'm not saying there's gonna be a steep drop off post Endgane because of all of this. This movie will probably get away with my problems. But right now it's safe to say if they don't do it here it will be difficult for me to think they'll change. Feige has never rested on his laurels, but the criticism of Feige's being less director driven could actually become a real problem now and hold these back. The time to do it is now, not a few movies from now.

Anyone else find it suspicious that we don't have anyone credited as playing Taskmaster? I bet there's some surprise twist where Rachel Weisz is Taskmaster or something.

Anyone else find it suspicious that we don't have anyone credited as playing Taskmaster? I bet there's some surprise twist where Rachel Weisz is Taskmaster or something.

That's been a rumor since she was cast. Ms. Weisz is an awfully big name for an obscure character like Iron Maiden.

That's been a rumor since she was cast. Ms. Weisz is an awfully big name for an obscure character like Iron Maiden.
There are a lot of big name actors playing obscure characters in the MCU.

I
There are a lot of big name actors playing obscure characters in the MCU.

If she were playing a one-and-done like Obi Stane, Colonel Phillips, Alexander Pierce or Ego I could see it (though Pierce surprisingly came back.) But I find it odd that the actor for Tasky, who will likely be coming back, has yet to be named. And I think Ms. Weisz is someone Feige would want to keep around.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kathielee
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"