Blade (1998) or Batman Returns (1992)

Neil McCauley

Civilian
Reaction score
Which one of these underrated movies do you prefer? It’s tough but I am barely leaning towards Returns.

For now, I believe that Blade 1 > Blade 2 and that Returns = Batman 89.

I think Keaton is a slightly better lead than Snipes, which did a great job and the action while dated is good in both films. Blade for sure had a better opening scene but Catwoman and Penguin and the dark style of Gotham by Burton has aged better than Blade's fun criptic future.

Batman Returns is my #2 CBM (and it's a very close #2) to The Dark Knight, so that wins. I do love Snipes's Blade movies though (Blade II is easily my favourite).

What is with these random versus threads? Blade and Batman Returns? One is a first movie to a franchise, the other is a sequel.

What is with these random versus threads? Blade and Batman Returns? One is a first movie to a franchise, the other is a sequel.

That’s what I’m saying. You can’t even compare half the movies they do these versus threads about.

I'm a big fan of Batman Returns, make no mistake, but none of the Batman Quadrilogy films are in Blade's league. Blade is the grandfather of the modern comic book genre. Despite it's outlandish comic book subject matter, it showed that even an obscure character could work on film without winking at the camera. That's truly groundbreaking. Moreover, Goyer took the lessons that he learned from Blade and took Batman to the next level with the Dark Knight Trilogy.

Yeah, I give it to Blade. Its just generally a better more original movie. Batman Returns. . . has virtues, no argument, but its also all the flaws of its predecessor magnified. And Batman Returns was not especially influential in its own right, except in convincing WB to not do that again anytime soon. Blade may have been the least of the one-two-three punch that started the second great age of superhero movies, but it still definitely contributed.

Odd comparison but Batman Returns, strong, classic & iconic sequel that helped further lay the foundations for everything we have today in terms of CBM offerings. It's no contest for me.

I do love Blade though, one of the few good Marvel films pre-MCU & would be among my favourite CBM's. First 2 films were very good & the 3rd was watchable.

Yeah, I give it to Blade. Its just generally a better more original movie. Batman Returns. . . has virtues, no argument, but its also all the flaws of its predecessor magnified. And Batman Returns was not especially influential in its own right, except in convincing WB to not do that again anytime soon. Blade may have been the least of the one-two-three punch that started the second great age of superhero movies, but it still definitely contributed.

While you’re allowed to post your opinion, you're heavily bashing DC and praising Marvel in every thread lol.

Blade vs Returns is close but saying that one has no quality is just.... wrong.

While you’re allowed to post your opinion, you're heavily bashing DC and praising Marvel in every thread lol.

Blade vs Returns is close but saying that one has no quality is just.... wrong.

Yes. That is because, on average, Marvel is quite a bit better than DC. If you put up a conflict between, say, Wonder Woman vs Captain Marvel, then I'll argue otherwise. However, so far nobody has been talking about weak, unimportant Marvel movies, they've been talking about ones which are successful, influential, or usually both.

Yes. That is because, on average, Marvel is quite a bit better than DC. If you put up a conflict between, say, Wonder Woman vs Captain Marvel, then I'll argue otherwise. However, so far nobody has been talking about weak, unimportant Marvel movies, they've been talking about ones which are successful, influential, or usually both.

This is debatable, if you have read comics you would know that the best DC stuff is considered to be better/on par with Marvel's.

Watchmen, The Dark Knight Returns, Year One, Lantern's run etc.

I don't see how Blade is this "much better" in quality than Returns but I think they're close but Returns has a better tone and villain imo.

I think Blade is the better superhero/ action/ comic book film.

Batman Returns on the other hand, is the better film overall.

Batman Returns isn't so much a comicbook film. Burton didn't mean it to be a comicbook/superhero/action film.

Its not even really a Batman centric film or a plot driven film. Its much more of a character piece , which is where I feel it excels.

It's dealing with these three very damaged people, with Max ,seemingly , being the only person truly at peace with themselves , which is part of the irony.

BR has alot of depth and angst to it in terms of the characters psyches.

It's been years since i've seen Blade, but I don't remember it having all that much depth to it in terms of the characters psyches.

I remember it being just a fun action film.

Don't know why these movies are being compared but give the slight edge to BR. Though I love both personally.

I've never liked Batman Returns, even as a kid, so Blade takes this one for me. Blade was probably the first superhero movie that I thought really made the hero cool, and it had a fun tone where it went overboard with that coolness in a self-aware way that was entertaining.

I don't get the comparison though as they have basically nothing in common other than being based on comic book characters. They aren't even in the same position in their own franchises.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"