Blade Reboot

Re-doing Blade would be difficult. Snipes DID own that role... literally. He re-invented the character in that film series, it even carried through to the comics. Before then Blade was basically Luke Cage who hunted vampires.

He may not have had many lines, but he just had this intangible swagger and attitude. Blade is Snipes, not the other way around.

Exactly and you can't forget a lot of the other attributes Snipes brought to Blade such as designing the weapons and Blade's fighting style (which isn't just your typical martial arts style) etc. Also Snipes rejecting to do some things that Goyer wrote on page saying that's something Blade wouldn't do. Seems like Snipes contributions to the character always get overlooked while Goyer get's heavy praise on the internet.

Anyone that thinks Wesley Snipes can't be replaced, clearly hasn't seen Micheal Jai White in basically ANY role he's played :woot:

He's a better Martial artist and is a very competent actor. He definitely has the skills and attitude to pull off Blade.

Just check out Undisputed 2, Blood and Bone, Spawn, Black Dynamite etc. The list is endless.

[YT]PaWj9b1av1o[/YT]

I think Blade can definitely work as a supporting player in a Dr.Strange sequel, building up to a Midnight Sons movie with Ghost Rider. But a Blade reboot film doesn't seem like the way to go, especially if you recast Blade. Vampires don't quite fit with the MCU as we know it now, so Dr.Strange's mystical/supernatural world will need to come first.

As for Punisher, i think he would also need a new introduction, possibly as a one-shot. That short film Tom Jane did as Frank would work pretty well. His origin/backstory isn't that complex so a simple glossing over would work, as long as the writing is up to par. In a one-shot, Punisher is doing his usual business until he comes across a vampire den. Unable to kill the vampires by conventional means and backed into a corner, he is able to use sunlight to kill them. He then decides to find out where these vampires came from, leading into a Midnight Sons movie. In the movie, the Punisher will be the audience's viewpoint into this weird and dangerous part of the MCU. He runs into Blade, they fight, Dr.Strange breaks it up, enlists Punisher to help them beat back the vampires. Add Ghost Rider as the wild gun #4, and i think you'd have a pretty entertaining team-up film.

So i'd do this 'phase' something like this:
Dr. Strange film >> Blade one-shot/film >> Dr.Strange sequel >> Punisher one-shot/short film >> Midnight Sons Film

Great minds think alike!

Anyone that thinks Wesley Snipes can't be replaced, clearly hasn't seen Micheal Jai White in basically ANY role he's played :woot:

He's a better Martial artist and is a very competent actor. He definitely has the skills and attitude to pull off Blade.

Just check out Undisputed 2, Blood and Bone, Spawn, Black Dynamite etc. The list is endless.

[YT]PaWj9b1av1o[/YT]

He may be a better martial artist but he definitely is not a better actor. If that was the case he shouldn't have gotten beating out the Blade TV show role to rapper Sticky Fingaz. This is coming straight from Goyer who chose Sticky over Jai White. I like MJW myself and felt he would of done the TV show justice but the producers of the show didn't feel that way.

Back to Snipes though he is clearly the better actor even before all the action movies. Blade was pretty much an unknown character at the time and it was Snipes name that got people initially to go see the first movie. Snipes has definitely had more starring roles then MJW. Like I said before Snipes contributed a lot of the movie attributes to the character and also the way he looks, to the weapons creation, fighting styles etc.

Not saying MJW wouldn't be a good Blade but they will have to take a different approach unless people going to say he copying the predecessor of the role.

Check out this old interview with Goyer from 2006 or so.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=8014#storyContinued

Honestly, no. For Blade we saw tons of people. We got a lot of grief on the boards asking, "Why didn't you cast Michael Jai White?" We saw Michael and he was good. People would say, "But he's a better martial artist." Of course he is. He's a great martial artist, but particularly in television you have to go with performance first. For the hard core martial arts fans they will always be dissatisfied because Sticky is not a martial artist. But television is first and foremost about characters and getting sucked in by a character from week to week and getting sucked into their drama. Michael Jai White gave a great audition. Ultimately we thought Sticky's take on Blade was different than Wesley's and that that was better. That he wasn't trying to ape Wesley. You'll notice as the show progresses he starts to fill in his own skin more. In the later episodes, it's become his version of Blade. We didn't have anyone in particular in mind for any of the roles, we just auditioned people. There was pretty much a general consensus on everyone we cast.
In the pilot I think Sticky was much more channeling Wesley, but in the ninth episode he's clearly his own guy.
Absolutely. He watched the movies and we told him to not be Wesley, to be your own person. If you look at the latter episodes you can see he's in his own skin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"