Bought/Thought 4-14-2010 SPOILERS

I read The Unwritten, also! I just haven't read my copy of it yet. I almost dropped it with the first few issues; but, it really picked up of late. It's a hard book for me to review, though; because, I find it hard to explain what's really going on (which, I'll admit, I don't always know), and it's gotten pretty complex lately. I was sad when the two kids were killed off a few issues back. I really liked them.

And, Northlanders is one of those odd titles. There were a couple stories that weren't so good; but, Plague Widow has been my favorite so far. Another good Vertigo title.

Of course, the best Vertigo title is Sweet Tooth!

Yeah, it's really difficult to speculate where the next trade will end.

The last side-story was, what, issue 8? [Blackout]The issue starring the children of the prison warden.[/Blackout] Maybe they won't include issue 12 because of it running so long, and, really, issue 12 is not as needed for the previous issues as issue 5 was.

Amazon link to vol 2: http://www.amazon.com/Unwritten-Vol...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271605617&sr=8-1

My estimate is it'll end with issue 11, based on the product description. Though, with the amount of pages, it might just have issue 12 included in it.

Well, that side story kind of ties into the overall arc, so I consider it part of the arc. Seven issues really isn't that much for a trade, since the usual is 5-7. Unless issue thirteen somehow plays off twelve, I could see them including it in the second, since I'm not sure that's the best start for the start of the third.

I haven't read a single bad Northlanders story, but I'm only up to the third trade.

The Unwritten is less about what's going on in terms of the story and more about what will happen in the future of the story, because the title is less about simple narrative and more about the theory of stories and story fabulation.

I read The Unwritten, also! I just haven't read my copy of it yet. I almost dropped it with the first few issues; but, it really picked up of late. It's a hard book for me to review, though; because, I find it hard to explain what's really going on (which, I'll admit, I don't always know), and it's gotten pretty complex lately. I was sad when the two kids were killed off a few issues back. I really liked them.

Same here. I really was disappointed with it at first, but when it got going, it really turned great

Of course, the best Vertigo title is Sweet Tooth!

I think I'm the only person who couldn't get into that title :csad:

I've read that a lot, actually, that people had a hard time getting into it. My RL buddy liked the first issue but didn't think it could support an ongoing. And he didn't start really liking it until the Kipling issue. An online buddy I recommended the series to, who picked it up a trade since there's no comic shop close to where he goes to college, said that he liked it but didn't really have any idea what was going on, but then really liked it when he got to the final issue of the trade, the Kipling issue. I'm still waiting on a reread from him.

I loved the first issue. I loved the second, and so on, and so on. The creative team dynamic is superb as early as the first issue, but there's that really great two-page spread in issue 4, I think, of the Villa that Gross does. And then, of course, I loved the Kipling issue, but that's no surprise.

Issue 12 is the most brilliant issue yet, though, and I know I've said that at least two other times over the course of this series.

Is anyone reading Green Hornet Year One? Freaking fantastic. Dialogue is great, action is great, art is great. Unlike the first issue of Doc Savage. Which was a HUGE disapointment.

6 more reviews, some of which are discussed by other hypers above.

Doc Savage #1

As Deathshead mentions above, HUGE disappointment....so bad, it has to be my new WORST OF THE WEEK. (The only thing that could have possibly saved it from getting that title is the second feature, Justice Inc., which was a decent beginning.) This comic starts us right into the action, by having a mysterious lightning storm attacking Doc's city, with Doc saving a couple kids while avoiding all the disaster around him. It all skips around too fast, not flowing well, and the art does very little to make the story any better. It's pure crap, and it's not often that I'll drop a comic after the first issue. I might just do that here. :doh:

The Rise Of Arsenal #1

This issue actually came out last week, but I liked it enough to want to say something good about it. Say what you will about Cry For Justice, it has made the Green Arrow characters a lot more interesting. I'm loving "Rise And Fall," and this first issue of Arsenal is very emotional, as Roy finally learns the fate of his daughter at the hands of Prometheus. Most touching is his visiting her dead body in the morgue. :yay:

Green Arrow #32

The final issue of Green Arrow/Black Canary drops Canary from the title, and gives us the trial of Oliver Queen, who is unmasked as he's being arrested for the murder of Prometheus. (Nice quick trial! Many times in comics, trials take many, many issues to come about...if they ever do.) It all leads into Green Arrow's new title in June...as we get the ending of Ollie's marriage, his friendships, and the unmasking. Good stuff! :yay:

The Unwritten #12

As we've already mentioned in discussions above, this title just gets better and better...with this issue possibly being my favorite yet. This issue was simply fantastic! ... and, a nice break in the action, bringing us this Willowbank Tale. :woot:

The Flash #1

Thankfully, Johns makes up for his dreadful Flash: Rebirth with this first issue. The art fits nicely with his writing, and I'm already hooked in this story about the Rogue's Gallery of the 25th Century. (Someone is killing the Rogues....but, it's not the Rogues we know and love.)

I will say there is something about the Flash characters that puts me off a bit. I really don't care for their stories very much; but, I can't dismiss a title written by Johns. I guess I just get bored with Barry and co.'s personal lives. When they get into that, even with the investigation of his mother's death, I just don't find myself caring. Plus, superspeed has never been one of those superpowers that really is that interesting. From DC's Flash (which, with all the good and bad Flash characters, is waaay too many) to Marvel's Quicksilver, they've all been B-list for me.

Still, decent first issue...and, a great first issue when you compare it to Johns' previous Flash story. :yay:

Green Hornet Year One #2

Dynamite has really put all their eggs into the Green Hornet basket, as they are putting out so many of these titles, that it's a bit of overkill. Thankfully, this Year One series is just fantastic! All eyes are on Kevin Smith's Green Hornet, but I think this one is much, much better. Like with Dynamite's Zorro, Matt Wagner gives us a great retelling of the Green Hornet's origin (and, Kato's too). Each issue not only presents us a look into the character's past, but presents us a current adventure of this classic character. (In fact, it's so much like Zorro, I just looked online and realized they are written by the same person, Matt Wagner. I think I have a new writer to add to my list of favorites!) As Deathshead2 said, it's "freaking fantastic!" :yay:

The Rise Of Arsenal #1

This issue actually came out last week, but I liked it enough to want to say something good about it. Say what you will about Cry For Justice, it has made the Green Arrow characters a lot more interesting. I'm loving "Rise And Fall," and this first issue of Arsenal is very emotional, as Roy finally learns the fate of his daughter at the hands of Prometheus. Most touching is his visiting her dead body in the morgue. :yay:

They killed off his little girl? That's horrible! I'll have to skim that issue this week. How did.... Liam?... die?

They killed off his little girl? That's horrible! I'll have to skim that issue this week. How did.... Liam?... die?

Yep, that's why Green Arrow went off the deep end and killed Prometheus. At DC, if you are a family member to a hero, you really don't have a long life to look forward to. At least at Marvel, Mephisto will make you a deal that keeps everyone alive. :cwink:

3 quickies before I call it a day and get my daughter from school.

X-Men Forever #21

I'm still loving this title! Wolverine is still dead, and there is no indication that's going to change any time soon; there are two Storms; and, Rogue now has Nightcrawler's powers (and tail), and Kurt now has Rogue's powers. Yeah, it's all a bit crazy...but, it's crazy fun.

This issue is the set-up for Claremont's big final story on this first X-Men Forever comic (I really hope there will be more after this), and we get a lot of talking and very little action; as, we get more about Tony Stark's involvement in the Consortium and learn a bit more about the changes in various charcters in this book, like Sabretooth loosing his hand and being blind and Fabian Cortez's death. :yay:

X Factor Forever #2

Like Claremont's X-Men Forever, this 5-part mini lets Louise Simonson continue her story past her final issue (#63 or 64, I think) of the original series...and, while it's been ok, it also hasn't really done much for me. It all involves Apocalypse and the Celestials...and, while things might get a bit more interesting if the series could have continued past 5 issues, like with Claremont's title, I don't see much happening, besides a "What If?" or lost story kind of scenario. :dry:

Gen 13 #35

Out of all the Wildstorm titles, this is probably the best of the bunch. The only problem is that fans of Gen 13 might be disappointed that many of the original members are now gone with all that's gone on with the whole World's End ordeal. (I'm seriously tired of World's End. That big event only succeeded in having me pretty much being bored with everything that came after. :dry:

Corp, I'm sure you probably already saw the solicitation for the DC comics, but the second Unwritten trade will in fact end with issue 12, the latest issue. So, you might to jump on next issue and let them sit for a few months until the second trade hits

Turf #1

This actually came out the previous week; but, I finally got around to reading it. Decent beginning, but a lot is thrown into it. It's set during prohibition era, and involves the mafia, vampires, and even a space alien. (Alien to come later, though briefly glimpsed in a couple scenes falling to Earth.) In the first issue, mobsters are disappearing or being killed off...and, it's revealed that a rogue vampire is planning on taking over their business. Lots of dialogue, and while I'm tired of more vampire stories, this one read nicely. :yay:

Powers #4

This story has been rather hit or miss for me. Issue #1 didn't thrill me, but issue #2 got me back into things, as I found myself really enjoying the backstory of Detective Walker. I didn't like issue #3's long action sequence; but, this current issue wrapped up the mystery nicely...and, sets this new story into a new direction by issue's end. I still miss Detective Walker's old partner, though. :yay:

Action Comics #888

This is the one Superman comic that doesn't tie into Last Stand Of New Krypton...and, while that is a nice thing, this Nightwing and Flamebird story is starting to bore me, also. (Even the comic acknowledges that it's a bit too similiar to the Justice Society Gog storyline from last year.) The backup Captain Atom story continues, too...and holds no interest for me. It concludes next issue...which, hopefully will end this Second Feature once and for all. :dry:

Adventure Comics #38

I actually liked this comic when Johns was writing it...but, now that it has become a tie-in with Last Stand Of New Krypton, it's become as boring as that storyline has. Last week we saw Kandor/New Krypton put back into the bottle again...but, Zod still stuck inside. I figured that the city would go back to the bottle...but, I also knew that Zod wouldn't be stuck there; so, his getting released with his troops at the end without the rest of Kandor's residents didn't surprise me in the least. By the time all is said and done, I figure things will go back to the way it was before. :dry:

What's interesting about Green Hornet is Dynamite chose to resurrect all the books NOW was publishing when it had the license. There was the standard Green Hornet which actually followed a similar premise, Strikes, and two Kato minis. Year One is about the only new one in the bunch, and something I was looking for and couldn't find: the origin of the Hornet. Outside of the Lone Ranger connection, the details about the Hornet's beginnings are pretty hard to find. Although it was and is becoming pretty obvious Britt meets Kato the same way Strange met Wong, minus the magic.

It's also interesting so much intensity is going into it considering it's based on a franchise most newer audiences have no clue about for a movie that, despite not having come out yet, is already getting negative press. I love the Hornet, and Dynamite does pretty well with its licenses so hopefully this works out for them. But it's just interesting how much goes into it is all.

Although I can't say the $3.99 prices will hold my loyalty very long. It was a stretch for the $3.50 books and Sonja still manages to hold out at $2.99, save the last two minis.

Bought

Secret Six #20
Daredevil #506
Mice Templar #8
Cold Space #1
Brightest Day #0
The Light #1
Powers #4
Doc Savage #1
Web of Spider-Man #7
The Savage Axe of Ares #1
Prodigal: Egg of First Light #1
Mindfield #1
Green Hornet: Year One #2
Flash #1
Chew #10
Buck Rogers #10
Siege: Loki one-shot
Siege: Young Avengers one-shot
Siege: Captain America one-shot
Iron Man Noir #1
The Anchor #7
The Mystic Hands of Dr. Strange #1
God Complex #5
Ultimate Enemy #3
Black Widow #1
Amory Wars: Second Stage Turbine Blade (trade)

Thought

God Complex - not sure why this issue was in black & white. The art is still pretty meh. Story is okay. Apollo will probably be going into the underworld to bring ol' girl back to life.

Cold Space - Not mindblowing but definitely not the worst "actor vanity comic" I've seen. I'm glad the character doesn't look like Sam Jackson within the book itself.

Prodigal - Nice debut. Plenty of action, with snappy dialogue...kinda reminded me of Peter David in his prime. It's only a two issue (48 pages each) series so I'll definitely be picking up the second.

Flash - Even though Barry's was the only Flash series I ever collected way back when (minus Waid & Acuna's short run), I wasn't thrilled about his return (seemed kinda pointless) and the mini that chronicled it was bad. I still gave this new #1 a shot. Not bad. Can't say it's going on my pull list but I will check out the first arc.

Secret Six - Catman's decision about his son caught me by surprise, a rarity these days in comics. Probably shouldn't have given the mindsets of everybody on this "team" lol.

Siege: Captain America - Probably the least interesting thing I've ever read from Gage.

Black Widow - No complaints. Female characters series don't seem to last long, but this one is off to a good start.

Brightest Day – Decent first issue. Turning Aquaman back into a half-atlantean/half-surface dweller was pointless, though.

Last edited:
Well I managed to get a copy of Seige Young Avengers even tho a week had gone by and was really happy I did. It was nice seeing the boys again -- Wiccan, Hulkling and Speed are my faves. I am definitely interested in the Young Avengers bi-monthly book that was just announced. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"