Bought/Thought 4-14-2010 SPOILERS

Just got back from Kick-Ass. The comic was so much better. I did not like the changes they made to the story. Still, it was decent enough; but, the real star of the movie is Hit Girl, naturally.

Did they show Nic Cage getting his brains blown out?

Young Avengers is worth the read. Cap was kinda bleh, and I thought Loki was too, but I'm also not at all a Thor fan, so I have no interest in the character really.
The fact that you didn't bask in the awesomeness of Siege: Loki is a pretty clear indicator that you're not a fan. If you care about the character at all, that issue f***ing rocked. :oldrazz:

^^ I agree with Corp. :p

Dude, when he threw off the cloak and was all armored and ready for hardcore viking battle with the Asgardians' equivalent of the bogeyman? I nearly pissed myself. :D :D :D

Just got back from Kick-Ass. The comic was so much better. I did not like the changes they made to the story. Still, it was decent enough; but, the real star of the movie is Hit Girl, naturally.

I haven't read the comics, but I feel about the same way; that it was pretty decent. I was surprised, I went into the theater expecting to dislike it, but it ended up being good. It's not even close to as good as what some people are making it out to be, and I still a lot of problems with it, but still good.

What did they change from the comics? I'm kind of curious

I haven't read the comics, but I feel about the same way; that it was pretty decent. I was surprised, I went into the theater expecting to dislike it, but it ended up being good. It's not even close to as good as what some people are making it out to be, and I still a lot of problems with it, but still good.

What did they change from the comics? I'm kind of curious

Quite a few changes, actually.

From the small, like seeing that Hit Girl's special nasal inhaler contained cocaine, to the big, like the reveal that Big Daddy was not even her real father.

One big complaint was that Red Mist isn't revealed to be the son of the mob boss until the big fight in the end. They ruined such a nice surprise by revealing that detail from the outset. Also, if my memory serves me correctly, Kick-Ass doesn't get the girl in the end. She's majorly pissed at him for acting gay and seeing her naked and everything.

I also wondered if they edited Hit Girl a bit after all the flap about her swearing. Sure, she swore; but, I think I only remember her doing it a few times in the movie. One interesting point is that the theater I went to was going to huge extremes that teenagers weren't getting into that movie last night. Not only did you have to show ID when buying tickets, they had someone outside the theater checking movie tickets. Some kids were pretty peeved, especially when their older friends ditched them to see the movie. (They had to see Date Night, instead.)

Date Night was moderately funny. Tina Fey was great in it. Carrell too, but Fey really stole the show for me.

Interesting.

I guess my main thing against Kick-Ass is that it felt like it started on a very interesting note, but ultimately shifted into something else entirely. I thought the idea of looking at someone 'realistically' trying to fight crime as a masked vigilante was a pretty neat one. And you actually got to see what would have happened, like when [blackout]he got stabbed and hit by that car when fighting those punks.[/blackout]

Then we got to the stuff were he meets actually superheroes (and, sure, they weren't technically real superheroes or anything, but considering the stuff they did, they were superheroes by all means), it started to change into something else.

I felt it started out kind of as a type of character study, or maybe even satirizing, of nerdy people who kind of have this gimped social life and shelter themselves with escapism to the point were it becomes a type of delusion, or skews their perception of reality. Then the movie more or less does start to become the delusion; [blackout]he gets those implants that dull pain, he gets the girl, he meets people who are more or less a twisted Batman & Robin, rides around on Gatling gun wielding jetpacks, and at the end apparently inspires actual heroes to rise up and defend the city.[/blackout] Which is kind of interesting in its own right, but feels too much like it became what it's commenting on/satirizing. That, and I felt that the more interesting bits were those bits of realism we see, like [blackout]when he gets stabbed, or the 'safehouse' gets raided by the bad guys so easily.[/blackout]

Overall, it was pretty solid, though. I doubt I'll read the comics, but I still enjoyed it well enough. That, coupled that sometimes the humor was somewhat hit or miss for me, I think I'd probably rate it around 7/10

Last edited:
Interesting.

I guess my main thing against Kick-Ass is that it felt like it started on a very interesting note, but ultimately shifted into something else entirely. I thought the idea of looking at someone 'realistically' trying to fight crime as a masked vigilante was a pretty neat one. And you actually got to see what would have happened, like when [blackout]he got stabbed and hit by that car when fighting those punks.[/blackout]

Then we got to the stuff were he meets actually superheroes (and, sure, they weren't technically real superheroes or anything, but considering the stuff they did, they were superheroes by all means), it started to change into something else.

I felt it started out kind of as a type of character study, or maybe even satirizing, of nerdy people who kind of have this gimped social life and shelter themselves with escapism to the point were it becomes a type of delusion, or skews their perception of reality. Then the movie more or less does start to become the delusion; [blackout]he gets those implants that dull pain, he gets the girl, he meets people who are more or less a twisted Batman & Robin, rides around on Gatling gun wielding jetpacks, and at the end apparently inspires actual heroes to rise up and defend the city.[/blackout] Which is kind of interesting in its own right, but feels too much like it became what it's commenting on/satirizing. That, and I felt that the more interesting bits were those bits of realism we see, like [blackout]when he gets stabbed, or the 'safehouse' gets raided by the bad guys so easily.[/blackout]

Overall, it was pretty solid, though. I doubt I'll read the comics, but I still enjoyed it well enough. That, coupled that sometimes the humor was somewhat hit or miss for me, I think I'd probably rate it around 7/10

I agree man. I mean i havent seen the movie yet, but i've read the comic and while i enjoyed it alot, i had a problem with the sudden tone shift. The book began as a grounded, realistic look at a kid putting on tights but then as soon as Hit Girl was introduced it turned into something else entirely. I feel like Hit girl could've been something to use in the sequel but they definitely could have focused more on Dave and his trials and tribulations becoming a real life superhero. But ah well..

Yeah, I used to use a 1-10 to rate the books; but, after seeing someone else using faces, thought it was a nicer touch. It's just determining what some of the faces could mean, though. Is :doh: worse than :csad:? I think so.

The fact that you didn't bask in the awesomeness of Siege: Loki is a pretty clear indicator that you're not a fan. If you care about the character at all, that issue f***ing rocked. :oldrazz:

I don't read Thor at all. Never even have. While I've picked up Brubaker's Cap omnibii, and I've at least read Iron Man since Invincible launched, I've never touched a single Thor issue.

Young Avengers was definitely well-written, and better than the Cap one-shot (surprising, because I haven't read much by Gage that I've thought was blah).

But the Loki one-shot? Exceptional. Pacing, narrative, and character.

Dude, when he threw off the cloak and was all armored and ready for hardcore viking battle with the Asgardians' equivalent of the bogeyman? I nearly pissed myself. :D :D :D
Yeah, that was awesome. And a whip! Sword-and-whip combo.

Yeah, that's how I read Northlanders. I picked up The Unwritten with the first issue, however. Joe the Barbarian as well, but that's a given, because it's Grant.

The Vertigo trades just release so damn slowly. That makes for not enough Unwritten, given how utterly great and brilliant it's become.

Yeah, I used to use a 1-10 to rate the books; but, after seeing someone else using faces, thought it was a nicer touch. It's just determining what some of the faces could mean, though. Is :doh: worse than :csad:? I think so.

Yes, definitely. Though, I rarely :doh: at comics unless they're truly awful. IMO, if Tony Daniels' run could get any worse, I may have to use it. The quality of his pencilwork has decreased significantly ever since Battle of the Cowl, probably because he writes issues, too.

Holy crud. Someone else reads The Unwritten?

I'm so happy.

Wasn't Mr. Bun a funny little bunny?

Yes, quite a cynical little forest critter.:cwink:

Yeah, that's how I read Northlanders. I picked up The Unwritten with the first issue, however. Joe the Barbarian as well, but that's a given, because it's Grant.
For current books, I read Fables, Scalped, DMZ, and Unknown Soldier by trade. I've only been a serious comic reader for about two years, and Vertigo books now take up my whole shelf.

I dropped Northlanders and have regretted it ever since. I'm gonna pick it back up once "The Plague Widows" is over and pick up the trade for "The Plague Widows." But there's like 4 more issues of that arc, so it's gonna be a while. :csad:

I just read the first trade of The Unwritten from my library and loved it. I've gotta figure out a good jumping-on point to start reading it by issues. I hate trade-waiting.

I dropped Northlanders and have regretted it ever since. I'm gonna pick it back up once "The Plague Widows" is over and pick up the trade for "The Plague Widows." But there's like 4 more issues of that arc, so it's gonna be a while. :csad:

I just read the first trade of The Unwritten from my library and loved it. I've gotta figure out a good jumping-on point to start reading it by issues. I hate trade-waiting.
There is no good jumping-on point. It's all interconnected. Unless you can find the back issues of #6 and up, since the first trade ends at issue #5 (the one with Rudyard Kipling, yes?), you're pretty much out of the running.

While they're all different arcs, all subsequent arcs really do depend on and build upon the previous issues, as opposed to the way Wood's arcs tend to be different and non-related adventures (outside of "Sven the Immortal" tying back to "Sven the Returned").

I actually didn't like the first arc much. I almost dropped the series, but issue #5 saved me and I've liked it ever since.

Corp, I would recommend starting picking up the last few issues and putting it on your pull list, letting them sit for awhile, and wait until the second trade hits to catch up. Because like he said, it's pretty connected, not really an episodic for the most part

I'm gonna pick up the second trade anyway because I don't feel like trying to track down the back issues to #6. But I meant I have to figure out where the next trade ends and see if it's feasible to pick up from the next issue or if I should wait even longer until the third trade is released and then pick up from where that ends. Basically, I don't mind reading the trades if I've missed the issues, but I'd much rather read individual issues going forward.

I don't know for sure, but I won't be surprised if the second trade ends with the last issue. Because, if I remember, the arc ended the issue before it, and this issue is kind of a one-shot type thing like issue 5. At least that's how I remember, but I don't have them with me, but that'd be seven issues, so seems like a nice number for a trade

The one that came out last week was twelve

Yeah, it's really difficult to speculate where the next trade will end.

The last side-story was, what, issue 8? [Blackout]The issue starring the children of the prison warden.[/Blackout] Maybe they won't include issue 12 because of it running so long, and, really, issue 12 is not as needed for the previous issues as issue 5 was.

Amazon link to vol 2: http://www.amazon.com/Unwritten-Vol...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1271605617&sr=8-1

My estimate is it'll end with issue 11, based on the product description. Though, with the amount of pages, it might just have issue 12 included in it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Netizen95
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"