Bought/Thought August 11th, 2010 - SPOILERS

CaptainCanada

Shield of the True North
Reaction score
Daredevil #509 - we're now playing the game of ducking in and out of the event miniseries that is notionally the main story, and so far Diggle and Johnston are doing a good job of it. We're still kind of cut off from whatever's going on inside Matt's head right now, but these tie-ins give you a pretty clear idea from the villains' talk; I'll be interested to see how the main miniseries integrates the Snakeroot into the story there.

Invincible Iron Man #29 - still bored; plus, the villains are employing a bunch of nerds piloting robots through video game consoles. Are we really supposed to take this at all seriously? Said robot drones also provide one of my periodic issues with Larocca's art, because at no point do the images of them give any sense of how bit they're supposed to be.

Steve Rogers: Super-Soldier #2 - Second part of our four-issue quality time with Steve on his own (and I mean really on his own; Sharon appears in a couple of panels here over the phone, but otherwise there are no familiar faces in sight). So far it's a well-written story. The story had a few twists I wasn't expecting, starting with the nature of Steve's apparently-alive-ex-girlfriend; after so many people have been revealed to have survived from the war years, the prospect of another one isn't exactly surprising or meriting questioning on the face of it. So having her be an LMD, while an obvious possibility in retrospect, was a surprise. Likewise, the reveal of the villain, and the final part (which was actually given away in the solicitations for future issues, but I'd forgotten that until the last page). Also, apparently Cynthia is a preexisting character from Fabian Nicieza's Adventures of Captain America series, not a new character as I originally thought.

X-Force: Sex and Violence #2 - continues to be enjoyable high-octane nonsense. The art is nice, though I don't know that it's at the level where the long wait would be justified. The wait and this being Kyle and Yost's last X-Men work for the forseeable future kind of assigns this a level of expectations it really wasn't written for, though.

A smaller week than the last, which my wallet appreciates since next week will be much heavier. There's nothing bad; I've tried to eliminate the regular titles I get that are bad on average, but there are books better than others, and some "meh" stuff. As always, rants and spoilers ahead.

Dread's Bought/Thought for 8/11/10 - Part 1:

BOOSTER GOLD #35:
I could probably paste most of last month's review of this issue and it wouldn't be far off. I still enjoy, yet don't know what to make of this run quite yet. It seems more like a running schtick than a title with any focus. Part of me imagines this is intended to be read as "the funny book" alongside JUSTICE LEAGUE: GENERATION LOST, which Keith Giffen also writes, Booster is a part of, and is "the serious book". I mean, the fact that the title of this issue is literally a quote of a line from Mel Brooks' "YOUNG FRANKENSTEIN" says it all. It could be because of the collaboration with J.M. DeMatteis that inspires the extra focus on the funny stuff. Chris Batista continues to be the regular artist, but he once again needs help to finish the book by deadline. This time Pat Oliffe draws the last four pages, which spares Giffen himself from having to draw it (as he did with the last issue). The colors by Hi-Fi help tie it all together.

I think the problem is that this is a book that, under Johns, Katz, Dixon, and Jurgens had a sense of urgency to it, and this run is more about providing funny adventures. The two writers are so quick to dish out the laughs in dialogue that sometimes it seems as if the panel art can't keep up, as at times a character will say quite a few things, and their drawn facial reaction doesn't match up completely. The time-travel adventure continues as Booster's attempt to go back in time to the 1980's JLI era has led to him tagging along with one of Blue Beetle (Ted Kord)'s zany adventure schemes to return a magical Maguffin book from a standard alternate planet/dimension. They're joined by Mr. Miracle and Big Barda, who act as the straight man and the surly warrior woman to the duo. The villain of the arc is more of a walking SNL skit, and not really a villain. While the heroes manage to reclaim the book, the villain escapes, a doomsday weapon he's magically stolen is about to destroy the whole alien world, and the owners of said weapon arrive at the worst possible time.

It's a very funny book, but unlike a Greg Pak/Fred Van Lente collaboration, there doesn't seem to be enough heart or urgency to make the story feel like more than a comedy. It's good comedy, but I do miss some of the urgency. It's a book that entertains me when I buy it, but I don't anticipate it as much as I used to. I enjoy comedy, but for a superhero title I do need a bit more to tie it all together than this run seems to wish to do. In a way it feels like a reunion tour, delivering on good times and nostalgia for good old times, but not really delivering anything urgently new.

ASTOUNDING WOLF-MAN #24: I believe the series finale for this title was once stated to be wrapping up by summer; I once quipped that it may be Halloween by the time it wraps up, and I may be proven right. At any rate, this is now the penultimate issue of the entire series, and as that it's effective. Robert Kirkman these days is very busy not just with writing some 5 comics a month, but working on that TV series for that little zombie book he has for AMC. At any rate, this issue continues on the route of Kirkman trying to have both major subplots with Gary Hampton come to a head at once. Just as the Elder Werewolf decides that it's time to test Gary in a rite of succession, which is basically a fight to the death. Ultimately, Gary's master plan to break Zechariah the vampire out of prison so he can kill him has backfired terribly; Zechariah escaped, gained a new cybernetic claw-weapon, and has just kidnapped Gary's daughter Chloe. So while Gary wants to chase Zech down, the Elder Wolf appears out of nowhere wanting to do the whole DRAGON BALL Z challenge bit.

There's a two page splash of he Elder giving a bit of blunt but brief dialogue and a part of me did wonder if it really was worth two pages. Wouldn't have one sufficed?

Meanwhile, a minor subplot about what is left of Gorgg the Stonehenge monster at the bottom of New York harbor is addressed. It's mainly an excuse to have characters that Kirkman made but can't support their own series, such as Damien Darkblood, Demon Detective, and Capes, Inc. I liked CAPES so I don't mind, but part of it does feel like a loose end tying exercise.

The art by Jason Howard (and company) is quite good. Just as violent and action packed as one would expect. It lines up all the ducks in a row for what should be a very bloody finale. It's effectively paced and I'm curious how everything will end. Given that the series itself is ending, the idea of the lead character dying is actually in play, which adds some suspense that might otherwise not be there. This is a title I've always liked, but it's schedule has been erratic for most of it's run so it has always been a rare book. In theory it is being replaced on Kirkman's schedule by HAUNT, but the schedule on that has also gotten erratic (and it isn't as good). This still has been the best werewolf comic in years in a world where zombies and vampires rule the racks.

INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #29: A pop quiz; which is slower?
a). A snail.
b). A corpse of a cow.
c). An issue of Invincible Iron Man.

This is always an odd book. It's not a bad one; Matt Fraction knows how to write characters, and Sal Larroca's artwork is solid; I prefer it to some other photorealistic styles. The problem is that Fraction is writing for trade and seems to be convinced that Iron Man should be written like an hour long TV drama in which it is heavy on talking and very light on action. Compare this to, say, Fred Van Lente's IRON MAN LEGACY, who in five issues had Iron Man fight robot clones of himself, Dreadknight, Radioactive Man, Crimson Dynamo, Titanium man, Iron Doombots, and a Dr. Doom Doombot. The difference in pace is amazing, and couldn't be starker. Pun intended.

Stuff happens. Pepper Potts gets a new Rescue costume, which is redesigned to look more like a female version of Stark's current suit, with a less pointy chin. James Rhodes avoids being court martialed by a general who is in league with the Hammer women. They get a bunch of tech nerds to remote control drones for them to blast stuff with iPhone apps - I think only Spike Lee is as skilled as blindly obvious metaphors. Stark holds a coming out party for his new business, only to seemly pooch it in order to wine and dine the younger Hammer, to get data out of him. The recap page reminds us that she may have been in league with Zeke Stane, the villain of the first arc on the title...almost two full years ago. Stuff always technically happens in an issue of IIM. It's not as insipid or snarky as a Bendis story. Often the dialogue is funny, and Fraction knows how to write the characters well; even if I am thinking he's misread something when he thinks that people want to see Stark as less than an assertive all around genius.

I'll be blunt. I've given this book a good, long try. It's not a bad book, but at least a bad book could spark some fire in me, get me feeling an emotional response to an issue. I usually forget when this book comes out. This arc may be my last on it. Naturally, I'll end up dropping this only to replace it with another Marvel title that will be $3.99 instead of $2.99, but such is life. This is probably the slowest paced title I have read of Fraction's, and he's capable of faster for one shots or annuals.

SHADOWLAND: BLOOD ON THE STREETS #1: For a "non-event", SHADOWLAND sure seems to be launching quite a few obligatory mini-series and one shots which bare the event's title. I was willing to pick up some of them because they were featuring characters I was already invested in by previous work (Moon Knight) or I liked the creative team (Powerman). While I quite like the artist for this, as Wellington Alves drew stuff like NOVA or WAR OF KINGS: ASCENSION and I think he's quite good, and Frank Martin's a good colorist, I'd never read anything Antony Johnston's written before. I am here for some of the obscure characters featured on the cover; the Shroud in particular.

In that, the debut delivers. While DD is on the cover due to contractual obligation, he has nothing to do with this issue. It takes place perfectly between issues one and two of SHADOWLAND. Johnston is able to have all four of the cover characters appear and eventually have three of their paths intersect within. The gist of this is that while in theory Daredevil's ninja are supposed to be protecting Hell's Kitchen in particular, their range appears to be spreading into other areas within New York City. When a minor mobster is killed by what seems to be the Hand, the Shroud investigates while the mobster's brother attempts to hire Misty Knight to work the case (a bad move). Paladin is apparently also keeping an eye on that murder, and at the end for the cliffhanger, he confronts Shroud.

The only character of the four whose path seems to be separate is Silver Sable. She's on her own quest to once again arrest some international criminal/terrorist and drag him back to Poland for trial. While Sable manages to wade through the underworld to find him, the Hand have apparently already killed him off (which cost her some pay, because she was supposed to bring the crook back alive). While Sable & her Wild Pack used to be considered diplomats of Symkaria, now that country is in chaos, so Sable is mostly working for herself (and is technically an illegal immigrant in the U.S., but that doesn't stop any of the rest, especially in New York, a sanctuary city).

Shroud and Misty probably get the most focus, and Paladin the least. Johnston uses Knight's past and connections to very good effect. She's in contact with her baby daddy, Iron Fist, as well as utilizes her past police contacts for leads. Lt. Scarfe is naturally a part of this as well. It all flows quite well so even though she's a cyborg, and there are other metahumans in the story, it captures some of the police procedural flair. This is a set up issue, but the story's only four issues so I can expect it not to drag on like, oh, an arc of INVINCIBLE IRON MAN.

I was expecting to find this as alright, but found myself enjoying it more than I expected. All of the characters are treated well, and seriously. I still think that Shroud's previous angle as an "undercover" villain, pretending to be a masked gangster to undo crime from within, was a better angle than him simply being a straight up vigilante, is a good and underutilized one. That said, he's running from the police here for a murder he didn't commit, which after CIVIL WAR would at least build "street cred" for doing such a thing again. "No, I'm a criminal, really! I'm on the run for murder. I was arrested by Wonder Man during Civil War and had to lay low in Canada for months." Considering how obscure he is, it is actually amazing that Misty knew who he was. While I've never read the Daughters Of the Dragon before, I thought Misty came off pretty well. Even Silver Sable, a character I never cared for back in the day, I thought was effective here. I'm genuinely curious what Paladin's angle is, but that means the cliffhanger was effective, doesn't it? The art is great, except for one bit where the mobster's brother is obviously supposed to look a bit like Tony Soprano, which was distracting. Not as distracting as, say, Hitch or Larroca being "photorealistic", but still took me out for a second. Thankfully, he wasn't on panel long. Considering the $4 price tag and me only going in for, at best, half the cast, I was pleasantly surprised by this, and am satisfied I took a risk on it. Fans of C-list street heroes should give it a shot, too.

STEVE ROGERS: SUPER SOLDIER #2: An interesting note that I hadn't realized was that CAPTAIN AMERICA technically did not ship in July. This seemed to take it's place, at least in terms of sales; while hard numbers are unknown, it sold in the Top 25 of Diamond's Top 100 list for July 2010 (albeit at #25). That is how some issues of CAPTAIN AMERICA have charted recently, which isn't bad. Marvel have played their Cap hand so well that they can sell Steve Rogers as a solo hero, and Barnes as Capt. America, and they still will BOTH sell at decent if not solidly good sales. I mean, even with natural sales decline, the CAPTAIN AMERICA franchise as a whole is doing better than, say, FANTASTIC FOUR or even WOLVERINE these days. It's a tremendous accomplishment, and a lot of that goes with trusting the right writer, Ed Brubaker. While this mini so far isn't offering anything dramatically new about Rogers, it is managing to execute what might otherwise be a standard espionage adventure story with him very well, with top class art by Dale Eaglesham (and colors by Andy Troy).

Perhaps my only quibble is that Brubaker still relies very heavily on influences from Rogers' past to infuse dramatic weight to his stories. Not only do you have the grandson of the professor who made him Cap in the first place, but you have what appears to be Steve's first flame popping up, even though she was murdered during the war. This is atop, of course, relying on Bucky Barnes, and doing Rogers' origin story about twice a year. To some this could be a sign of being repetitive. To Brubaker's credit, he uses that to his advantage for a very effective twist at the end. Although in retrospect, the false name that the big bad comes up with is about as obvious as the alias of "P.N. Guin" was in the 1960's BATMAN film. For the record, it's "Myron Smith".

Even a sequence as simple as Rogers jumping out of a tower and finding a way to survive the fall has been seen a gazillion times, but Brubaker's pacing combined with Eaglesham's art makes it look great. It isn't a fluke; every artist that works with Brubaker seems to capture a similar sense of kinetic flow to action that they might lack with other writers (such as when, say Bryan Hitch works with Brian Bendis). At any rate, the twist at the end works and reveals a villain who has dealt with Rogers plenty of times, and would have a perfect reason to seek him out. The cliffhanger is also quite good; it captures a real sense of making the reader gasp, "How will he get out of THIS one?" for the next issue. Plus, the last time I recall seeing the villain, it was in the last NEW WARRIORS series, which wasn't exactly his finest hour. This mini is the total package, and acts as a secondary Cap book for fans. In an age when Marvel has launched spin-offs of franchises that can't support them (and haven't for years), could Captain America actually be able to support one now? Time will tell. At any rate, a year back I doubted that Marvel would ever attempt to have Rogers and Barnes in their own books without Rogers being behind the mask again, and that if they did, it wouldn't sell. This is one case where, so far, it's good to be wrong. In fact, this would have been my Examiner Book Of the Week if not for one particular space book that was out this week. Brubaker is one of few A-List writers who seems to deliver on the hype more often than not. I mean, yeah, SECRET AVENGERS is a tad slow, but it's nowhere near the league of a Bendis joint or an arc of INVINCIBLE IRON MAN, now is it? Even CAPTAIN AMERICA REBORN, as massively flawed as it was, was better than some other Marvel events. I expected to like this series, and I am. While it might be nice to see Brubaker, one day, do a major arc with Steve Rogers without bringing up a ghost from the 1940's, at least he executes his stories well, which is the main thing.

Last, but not least in any way...

THE THANOS IMPERATIVE #3: This was my Examiner Book Of the Week (that sounds like a sports broadcast line, doesn't it), and seriously, how could it not be? The big two place splash of their "RIGHT STUFF" moment was used as advertising for months and yet was STILL epic within this issue. It's the third space event written by Dan Abnett & Andy Lanning, and the fourth since 2006. It's also the smallest, since there are no ongoing titles to tie in, nor any side mini's. Just one core mini. It's at least charting above where NOVA and GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY did, which is positive. I quite like this approach, actually. It may not have the sales punch of shoving in the X-Men, but it genuinely feels like an extension of the last year of NOVA and GOTG, starring the lead heroes that I want to read, not someone popular or new.

Given that THANOS IMPERATIVE basically merges two ongoings into one, this could have been a mess, but it isn't. While some of the spare Guardians or Nova Corps members seem lost to the haze of battle, the major characters are still being balanced well. Which is bad if you wanted to see more of Jack Flag or Philo, but good if you want to see more of Peter Quill or Quasar. Nova, Quasar, and Silver Surfer deal in the 616 universe, trying to beat back the hordes of the Cancerverse. The problem is they're difficult to kill and seem to suffer no loss in number, and now "the abstracts" have entered the war. As foreshadowed earlier, you know a space war has gotten epic when even Galactus and the Celestials show up to blast things. Unfortunately, the Cancerverse counterparts to them have been weaponized, and seem capable of killing some of the 616 versions. Aegis being killed manages to zap Nova with an intense psychic wave. Fortunately, it was a "cosmic awareness" wave, as now he knows what Cancerverse Mar-Vell is planning.

And so Nova organizes the space monarchies (the Kree/Inhumans, Shi'ar, and Blastaar's Negative Zone horde) into uniting much as he did in the ANNIHILATION war, and selects a "strike team" of which we all should know the roster by now. My only quibble with it is that Beta Ray Bill's arrival is in no way built up or paced well. He hasn't shown up in any Abnett & Lanning material. He didn't even show up in a background panel of IGNITION or IMPERATIVE, until that one moment when he is needed for the strike team. It was very awkward, like he appeared from the sky and they decided to keep him. It would have been better to at least have shown Bill in some of the mass brawl panels, made some attempt to build him up. I mean, neither Ronan or Gladiator have done much in a few issues, but they've gotten a lot of focus and their place is organic; Kallark is basically the regent of the Shi'ar while Ronan is always a rep of the Kree. It's a basic thing to at least two to have had Bill appear in this event before that double page splash, and the sort of think DnA handle well. It was a lapse I noticed. Not a major one, though, nothing that ruins the story. Just awkward. Bill is Space Thor, so get Space Thor in.

The Guardians wage war on another front. They've taken Thanos through the Fault into the Cancerverse, a world where Death has literally been killed, and thus life spreads and twists without end. This issue, however, spins that into something darker. They team up with the standard resistance movement of the world, and it's full of alternate robot heroes like Vision, Jocasta, M-11 and HERBIE, who are "neutral" about the whole life/death thing and this see what "Dark Mar-Vell" has done as wrong. This actually ties back into the "Death of Capt. Marvel" story, as in that universe, Mar-Vell and the other heroes performed an arcane ritual to basically save his life and destroy Death itself, but replacing it with, literally, cosmic cancer. The plan has been to basically have Thanos go into the Cancerverse and destroy it to end the invasion, only Drax is concerned about what Thanos does after. He considers the very idea of an alliance as absurd, as his entire goal in life is to kill Thanos. This ultimately sparks into a fight, which does lead into a decent cliffhanger, at least until you remember what universe it happened in, and can predict the outcome. NOTHING dies in the Cancerverse.

There is one odd art/speech balloon error. In the prison where Mar-Vell and his Revengers have taken all of their "anomalies" prisoner in search of Death's avatar (and resulting only in rounding up beings who aren't supposed to exist in that time, like Major Victory or Namorita), there is one panel where you see Namorita facing Maj. Victory and speaking as if she is one of the Revengers. Either she's reading lips for Victory (and if so, quotations would have helped), she is possessed for a second, or it's a gaffe.

At any rate, it is always great to see how far Nova has come. While he's just a possessed tanker in SECRET AVENGERS (who is totally about to be schooled by Centurion Rogers), here he's a veteran of several space wars and has forged uneasy alliances to save the cosmos several times. There's no flinching this time. He still has his sense of humor, and knows his roots. But he's far from the hero who four years ago needed help against the Rhino. I like the art by Miguel Sepulveda; I liked it in THUNDERBOLTS and I like it here. Not everyone likes his Surfer, and he may have gotten Bill's hammer wrong, but I still like it. The color work by Jay David Ramos is also quite good, and compliments the pencils well.

I thought this issue progressed the plot, delivered some exposition as well as set the stakes very high. It also united the Nova Strike Team and had him give a very good speech, while at the same time delivering on a fine issue of the GOTG. Nova worried about "the abstracts" dismissing them as ants in this conflict, but Aegis chose to beam that cosmic awareness into him, and him alone. I have a feeling Nova won't be taking a back seat for the climatic moment to Phya, Warlock, or Black Bolt this time. It's going to be good. Can't wait for issue four. Or six.

Incredible Hulk #611

WOW! This issue blew me away, and is the perfect companion to Planet Hulk. We finally get Hulk vs. Skaar as only Pak could write it...and, it's everything I hoped for. Some might be disappointed in the ending; but, I found it especially touching. (And, face it, we all know it's leading to Loeb's Hulk vs. Rulk showdown next.) Fantastic!!! So much expectation, and in the end, it delivered great emotion. :woot:

Steve Rogers Super Soldier #2

Any comic I read after Incredible Hulk is just going to pale in comparison. That said, Brubaker gives us a decent second issue of this comic, and I wasn't expecting that ending. (Although, there is still a part of me tired of the whole super soldier serum angle of this story.) It's nice seeing a classic villian return; and, not one that's so widely known, like Zemo or Red Skull. :yay:

Thor: The Mighty Avenger #3

This is turning out to be a very cute comic, and one I can see myself enjoying even more than Thor's regular title. It was great to see a guest appearance by Wasp and Giant Man, and it's nice to have stories that remind me of the innocence of yesterday. These are the comics you can give your kids to read, without having them so dummied down to a elementary level. Plus, each issue builds on the previous...a mistake that those early issues of Marvel Adventures had before Tobin took over. :yay:

Invincible Iron Man #29

YAAAWWWNNN!!!! It's official. This title seriously sucks! Fraction must be doing some weird experiment about how little action he can give the readers of Iron Man. It's all talk, talk, talk this issue...AGAIN...and even seeing Pepper back in the Rescue armor bored me to tears. I seriously think this might be the worst this comic has ever been. :csad:

Ultimate Spider-Man #13

While I'm in bit$#ing mode...will Marvel seriously get this comic a decent artist??!!?? The characters are practically hard to look at. (Yep, I'm say it every month; but, it seriously takes away from my enjoyment of this book.)

Ok, off rant. I do like this Ultimate title. Bendis' Spidey is much more action-packed than his Avengers titles...and, the team that's in Pete's house blend together better. Possible death in this issue of a major supporting character...but, I'm thinking not. (How can you kill of JJ Jameson??!!?? Of course, it's Bendis writing it, and he's killed off bigger characters in the 616.) Next issue looks like a lot of fun. Can't wait....except for the art! :yay:

Ultimate Avengers 3 #1

Not sure what to make of this comic. Are we gonna keep getting new members introduced each series? Right now, it's a revolving door; and, instead of Ghost Rider being the anti-hero, now it's Blade. (This Ultimate is giving their treatment of a vampire storyline, just like we're currently getting in the 616.) It's entertaining enough; but, one of those stories that will be forgotten soon after it's over. Also, not sure how I feel about another Daredevil character being introduced. I loved the throwback costume from DD's early years...but, not sure if bringing him back in a similiar character sits well with me. :dry::yay:

Ultimate Avengers 3 #1

Not sure what to make of this comic. Are we gonna keep getting new members introduced each series? Right now, it's a revolving door; and, instead of Ghost Rider being the anti-hero, now it's Blade. (This Ultimate is giving their treatment of a vampire storyline, just like we're currently getting in the 616.) It's entertaining enough; but, one of those stories that will be forgotten soon after it's over. Also, not sure how I feel about another Daredevil character being introduced. I loved the throwback costume from DD's early years...but, not sure if bringing him back in a similiar character sits well with me. :dry::yay:

I liked that the new Daredevil had that whole Legacy-character and Ninjas vs. Vampires greater plot surrounding him, but yeah it does make me wonder would it just had been better if Matt Murdock wasn't killed off. Atleast theres also the twist that the new Daredevil is a vampire. I also don't think Blade will be an anti-hero of the series, infact it's prolly going to be Daredevil. He received the villain variant instead of who presumebly is Anthony OH MAI GAWD HES A VAMPIRE Stark! :D

Gotta say it was an interesting start, we get the whole back story of Connor in mere pages & inner monologue. Also yeah the main cast of Avengers goes around Nick Fury, Hawkeye, Black Widow & War Machine. Otherwise the cast is chosen by Millar who he wants for X or Y plot. :)

I got The Rage of Thor a week late. Great story. This is part of why I love such long-lived characters. They make all kinds of stories possible. Odin, Thor, et al. are markedly different (except maybe Balder), but nothing's particularly out of character because these characters live forever and their relationships have changed and evolved a lot. Milligan does a great job with this. Thor's heartache throughout the issue--for various reasons, which highlights his split between Earth and Asgard, man and god--is downright palpable. Anyone else find it funny/appropriate that Thor's mortal love just happened to be almost identical to Sif? :D

Green Lantern: Emerald Warriors is off to a fine start. Tomasi reminds us that Guy's a cop first and foremost in the opening pages, which is always good to see. This issue is naturally a lot of setup, but it's all very intriguing setup. This mysterious bargain with Ganthet, Guy, and Atrocitus should be interesting. I'm looking forward to how Kilowog gets involved, too. Only odd thing about the issue is the ending--no idea who snake guy is, yet it was played up like some big cliffhanger with someone important. I guess we'll find out later. Pasarin's art is really, really good, too. His Guy took a bit of getting used to after seeing Gleason's for so long, but I like it.

The Thanos Imperative's third issue was solid. I agree with Dread about Beta Ray Bill--great to see him but it's a bit odd how he just appears out of nowhere. The rest of Nova's strike force has some precedent in the big cosmic events of late, but Bill is just kind of there all of a sudden after keeping mostly to himself on or near Earth for a while. But I'm still glad he's involved and I look forward to what DnA do with him. The ending is quite a shocker. Drax lets his emotions get the better of him and now it looks like the Guardians are screwed. Then again, they are in a universe where death is supposedly impossible.

I am enjoying Steve Rogers: Super-Soldier quite a bit. I liked that Brubaker included a bit of awkwardness in Steve's dive out the window. I'm not quite sure whether it was meant to reflect how shaken up Steve was by what happened with Erskine or if it was just a reminder that he's not perfect--I suppose it could be taken as both. Either way, it was a good, unique touch. I totally did not see the robots thing coming, either. I have no idea who Machinesmith is, but I'm sure Brubaker will fill us in as we go along. He's a blast from the past villain, obviously, which is especially common with Cap. It hasn't quite gotten completely tiresome yet, and the reveal itself was done pretty well. Eaglesham's art is outstanding, as usual.

Machinesmith is a long time Capt. America and Avengers villain in general. I believe he was part of Red Skull's old Skeleton Crew gang back in the late 80's/early 90's like Crossbones and Mother Night were.

Justice League: Generation Lost, a.k.a. the good Justice League comic, continues to live up to its name. Max gets his vision from the White Lantern of what he's supposed to do, which clearly means that he was just f***ing with the world in the first place because he's a jerk, which kind of sucks. But I hope Winick works his new purpose into his characterization from here on out, at least, so that he's not quite such a second-rate Lex Luthor anymore. The JLI, meanwhile, storm Checkmate and, for a while, it seems like they're doing a pretty good job of it. Then things go from bad to worse to downright ridiculous and the title, relegated to the last page in this issue, delivers the punchline beautifully: "Of Course They Get Caught!" :funny: Looking forward to next issue.

Booster Gold is occupying something of a weird companion series status to Generation Lost at this point. In the former, we've got Booster and a handful of old-school JLI members written by Giffen and DeMatteis themselves; in the latter, we've got the present-day ex-JLI members falling into line behind Booster as their leader (although Captain Atom may take over that position soon enough) in a comic started by Giffen and Winick and now written solely by Winick. And strangely enough, I can't really call one or the other "better." They're both great and they're both tinged with absurd humor (although Booster Gold definitely edges Generation Lost out in the quantity of such humor). The plot is kind of a throw-away in BG's case, but I liked it. Barda's always fun as a straight ma--er, lady playing against Booster and Ted, and Mr. Miracle's always struck me as awesome in kind of an abstract sense, since I haven't read a whole lot with him but I like him anyway. The last page with Rip and Rani is just gold, too. I look forward to what Giffen and DeMatteis do with Rani. She brings some excitement to the otherwise boring, sterile environment of Rip's lab really well.

I envisioned that with Giffen & DeMatteis also writing GENERATION LOST, that BOOSTER GOLD would suddenly become a sister book to that. Which is fine if you read both, but I wasn't, and didn't plan to. BOOSTER GOLD isn't bad, but I never get a sense of any real danger from it, and if I wanted that, I'd read that BATMAN: BRAVE AND THE BOLD comic based on the cartoon. I like humor, but at this point I expect the next issue to have Booster Gold being chased by enemies and him trick them into falling off a cliff seven times or crushing themselves with their own traps while going, "Beep, beep!"

Giffen & DeMatteis are defensive of their approach, even having Booster defend the "bwa ha ha" era in character, but I do think there is a sense of going too far. If they have any skill at being able to be both hilarious and dramatic at the drop of a dime like Pak & Van Lente are in Herc material, they have yet to show it in BOOSTER GOLD yet. And while I'm sure GENERATION LOST is fine, it's a bi-weekly book and my pull list is already too long, and I've already missed a ton of issues and don't feel like dropping $50 to catch up, nor do I feel like jumping onto the next issue and being impossibly lost on what is happening and being unable to enjoy or appreciate a single panel (as DC is like that). I had a month to decide whether to get it when it first started, and chose not to. I certainly am not inspired to just to get the "more serious" Booster Gold in another title.

I jumped onto a weekly DC book in 52, and while that was fine, it proved to be an expensive mistake that I regret every time I have too many comics and not enough space in my room for them, and 52 comics in a pile that I can't resell, move, or burn for heat. DC doesn't get a second chance with me.

Giffen and DeMatteis aren't writing Generation Lost. Giffen co-wrote it with Winick for the first few months, and now Winick's writing it alone.

Machinesmith is a long time Capt. America and Avengers villain in general. I believe he was part of Red Skull's old Skeleton Crew gang back in the late 80's/early 90's like Crossbones and Mother Night were.

He was also the main villain behind Man Without a County during Waid's first Cap run. I think that was the last time I've seen him.

I never read Waid's first run, to my eternal chagrin. I don't think it has any trades still in print, either. I only read Waid's post-Heroes Reborn run, which gave me the eternally wonderful image of Thor and Cap drinking milkshakes in a diner. :hehe:

Giffen and DeMatteis aren't writing Generation Lost. Giffen co-wrote it with Winick for the first few months, and now Winick's writing it alone.

Oh, okay. Still, though, Giffen wrote both for a while.

I mean BOOSTER GOLD is an odd book. I don't dislike it at all. When I read an issue, it's funny. I just think it gets too lost in schtick and becomes too easy to forget or get dramatically invested in, if that makes sense. Or maybe that's only because I am used to that sort of thing done well in Pak/Van Lente Herc material.

He was also the main villain behind Man Without a County during Waid's first Cap run. I think that was the last time I've seen him.

Machinesmith popped up in the last NEW WARRIORS series, the one in which Donyell Taylor became Night-Thrasher and recruited a squad of ex-X-Men. They raided one of Machinesmith's facilities for tech that Donyell needed to try to revive his brother, although he didn't tell the team that he was provoking the fight and painted Machinesmith as a threat to be taken out.

I got The Rage of Thor a week late. Great story. This is part of why I love such long-lived characters. They make all kinds of stories possible. Odin, Thor, et al. are markedly different (except maybe Balder), but nothing's particularly out of character because these characters live forever and their relationships have changed and evolved a lot. Milligan does a great job with this. Thor's heartache throughout the issue--for various reasons, which highlights his split between Earth and Asgard, man and god--is downright palpable. Anyone else find it funny/appropriate that Thor's mortal love just happened to be almost identical to Sif? :D

I read that a little late, on Monday/Tuesday. I've really liked all the Thor one-offs like this. I haven't really paid much attention, but are they all coming from the same writer?

I have to admit that I usually look forward to these one-offs more than I do the ongoing...

Nope, they come from various writers. The Rage of Thor and The Trial of Thor (its prequel) are both by Peter Milligan, that one with the Egyptian stuff was both written and drawn by Alan Davis, the God-Size Special was by Matt Fraction, and there are a couple others I'm sure I'm forgetting.

I love the ongoing still, but I'm beginning to come around to Vartha's point of view: They should just go ahead and greenlight a Tales of Asgard companion series to Thor. They've got enough stories to fill these one-shots, obviously, and the Asgardians all have extremely long lives to pull even more material from. I'm sure they could come up with at least one story per month. But I guess some kind of market research has probably shown that one-shots tend to sell better than an ongoing or something.

Actually, the opposite is true; one-shots and annuals often sell LESS than an issue of an ongoing title, if said ongoing title is an old institution like UNCANNY X-MEN or THOR or SPIDER-MAN. That was why during the Jemas era, he canceled annuals and instead urged a 13th issue of the main title a year in it's place. Sales wise, it worked. Joe Q went back to having more annuals and one-shots after Jemas was chased out, though.

Since, bluntly, Joe Q's goal is to rule the racks with as many comics as can be humanly printed a month, a gazillion one-shots aid in that. Expect it to hit overdrive once Thor's film gets closer.

It looks like they're shifting more to minis as we get closer to the movie. Maybe they'll go the Iron Man route and launch a companion title called The Mighty Thor or something like that, then ultimately switch over to that as the main title and cancel (Just Plain) Thor.

Haven't you paid attention to relaunches? They'll go with Ultimate Thor, and...oh, wait, they are.

The next will be New Thor, then Uncanny Thor, then Young Thor, then X-Treme Thor, and finally Secret Thor.

Thunderstrike's comeback marks the birth of Thor Avengers!

Thunderstrike's return is gonna be glorious. I'm hoping it's Kevin Masterson. :)

Wasn't there a Thor Corps once with Thor, Thunderstrike, Bill, and that future Thor, Dargo something? That'll be back.

Yeah. I still haven't gotten around to reading that mini. The cover is just so... guh. :o

Thunderstrike's return is gonna be glorious. I'm hoping it's Kevin Masterson. :)

Wait wait wait... You're excited? So Thunderstrike isn't some EXTREMEEEEEEEEEEEEEE Product of the 90s? Or you got a soft spot on him like with Azrael?

No, he's definitely a '90s EXTREEEEEME character, but the underlying concept is pretty sound--come at Thor from the opposite side by having a mortal gain godly power instead of a god gaining a mortal perspective. His series in the '90s was good and did a lot of heavy exploration of Eric and what he was all about. Kevin would bring all of that back while providing a new twist to it because he's so young. Hell, Eric wasn't prepared for his life as Thor or Thunderstrike, so imagining Kevin bumbling through it himself at like 25 years younger seems cool. Assuming, of course, it is Kevin.

If Tom DeFalco and Ron Frenz are working on it, then it's the MC2 Thunderstrike, who was Kevin. SPIDER-GIRL is ending but it is possible that DeFalco has a contract arrangement in which Marvel ALWAYS has to give him some work, as was once rumored exists with Chris Claremont. Marvel may see that as a way to allow both to continue on their MC2 universe that they've both worked with for so long while ending SPIDER-GIRL, which has struggled in sales for almost a decade, while tapping the Thor bandwagon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"