Bought/Thought November 11th, 2009 --SPOILERS

Phaedrus45

Avenger
Reaction score
I finally get to start one of these threads, only because I get the holiday off, and it falls on a comic day. I doubt I'll see that happen again in a very, very, very long time.

Essential Moon Knight Vol. 3: Now, this is the Moon Knight that I grew up on. Loaded full of good stuff, you get the completion of Moon Knight's first series, issues 31-38, his Fist Of Khonshu mini, 3 issues of Marvel Fanfare, Solo Avengers #3, and Marvel Super-Heroes #1.

Action Comics #883: Flamebird and Nightwing's search for the missing evil Kryptonians continue with a new storyarc, featuring Jax-Ur, the next person on their list. Also, Perry White learns of Jimmy Olsen's disappearance, and goes in search of where he's gone. I'm glad the team-up with Supergirl is over; of all the off-shoot characters in Superman, Flamebird and Nightwing probably interest me the most; and, Rucka does a good job with the first part of this story.

The second feature, Captain Atom, does nothing for me. It just feels like that story has been going pretty much nowhere for a while. I'd wish they'd drop it and reduce the price of this comic back to $2.99.

Ok, I only reviewed two of my new comics; but, I'm going to send this while I can. I know I'll never get another chance of starting a Bought/Thought...and, while it's really not a big deal to do so, how can I pass up the chance????

Amazing Spider-Man 11:Great Issue kind of boring but still rocked and i laughed outloud like a good 19 times at deadpools jokes and i cant wait to see spidey Vs electro again its been awhile since these two have fought each other .****

Dark X-Men 1:AWSOME FIRST ISSUE! lots of action and hilarous the list of things omega destroyed mystique and dark beast ruled and x-man returns!*****

X-Babies 2:Crazy issue lots of old and forgotten kids comic characters and sugah/wolvie forever it seems.****

Cable 20:I cant wait for the next issue like AMS 11 kind of boring at parts but all in all awsome issue and once again bishop survives.****

X-Men Forever 11:I have to say OK issue much better then the previous issue but now no cyclops,no wolverine,no colossus and no storm so still sucky series.**

More reviews later

Green Lantern Corps: This is getting tiresome. Bet he's a Black Lantern by next issue and Hal has to save him by the end of the event. Meh, I just hope he's back soon. :o

SWORD's first issue was aces. Sanders' Beast is really atrocious, but the rest of his art looks good. I got used to his Beast pretty quickly, even. Still ugly but not as shockingly awful as when I first saw him in the preview. Good stuff with Brand and her brother--apparently we know why she digs Beast now. Speaking of, Beast was super-awesome in this issue because he had a sense of humor again. He explains why toward the end of the main story, too--not that I really needed it; I was just happy to see him not be dour and boring all the time like he's been with the X-Men for years. Gyrich is lovably *****ebaggy; he'll make a good villain for the first arc and possibly a recurring antagonist. Lockheed is a bit of a dick, especially in the second story, but hey, good news for X-Men fans: Kitty's established as definitely still alive. All in all, good stuff (except for Sanders' Beast) and I'm looking forward to the next issue. I wonder if Kelvie will be doing backups (or "bonus stories") with Gillen in every issue.

S.W.O.R.D 1:Rocked awsome issue it makes me rember why i love beast.

Geoff Johns and Tomasi can kiss my ass. :cmad:
Haha, no need to get all bent out of shape about it. If he's still dead by the end of Blackest Night, that's when you want to freak out. ;)

Actually, I think I'm personally just beyond caring about that kind of thing at this point. Everyone comes back, and even if Kyle doesn't, I'll either find someone else to be a fan of or drop even more of DC's comics. Apathy, thy name is DC Comics.

SWORD's first issue was aces. Sanders' Beast is really atrocious, but the rest of his art looks good. I got used to his Beast pretty quickly, even. Still ugly but not as shockingly awful as when I first saw him in the preview. Good stuff with Brand and her brother--apparently we know why she digs Beast now. Speaking of, Beast was super-awesome in this issue because he had a sense of humor again. He explains why toward the end of the main story, too--not that I really needed it; I was just happy to see him not be dour and boring all the time like he's been with the X-Men for years. Gyrich is lovably *****ebaggy; he'll make a good villain for the first arc and possibly a recurring antagonist. Lockheed is a bit of a dick, especially in the second story, but hey, good news for X-Men fans: Kitty's established as definitely still alive. All in all, good stuff (except for Sanders' Beast) and I'm looking forward to the next issue. I wonder if Kelvie will be doing backups (or "bonus stories") with Gillen in every issue.

I forgot all about it, and will have to pick it up later, but glad to hear it started on a good note :up:

There was no need for it to be Kyle whatsoever. It could have been Guy or John or anyone else, but no it was Kyle, the most popular Lantern that's not Hal Jordan. Essentially Hal's competition. It wreaks of Johns ''Let's make Kyle look bad, so we can lift Hal up on a pedestal even more."

Let's be real, though: We all knew Kyle was expendable as soon as Hal came back. Not killing him off initially was just the GL office throwing us Kyle fans a bone; it was never a guarantee that he'd be treated as anything more than the second-rate copy all the Silver Age-loving writers and editors think of him, Guy, and John as.
I forgot all about it, and will have to pick it up later, but glad to hear it started on a good note :up:
I hope you enjoy it. Obviously, I was pretty predisposed to enjoying it given that I love Beast, space stuff, and everything I've read from Gillen so far. :up:

Well, I enjoy Beast, space stuff and what I've read of him, too. So, should have a similar impact.

There was no need for it to be Kyle whatsoever. It could have been Guy or John or anyone else, but no it was Kyle, the most popular Lantern that's not Hal Jordan. Essentially Hal's competition. It wreaks of Johns ''Let's make Kyle look bad, so we can lift Hal up on a pedestal even more."

Well, I definitely think that Johns is probably having a chuckle or it, but I'm inclined to agree with Corp. He'll be back soon enough. I think the thing that irks me the most was that it was in one of the tie-ins as opposed to the main story. I mean it seems his death should be important enough to be in the main mini. I guess not for DC, though

Nah, I think GLC was fine for it. He's got a starring role in GLC. Or had.

Well, I haven't been reading BN or any of the tie-ins, but I don't know, just seems like a moment that should be front and center of the event.

Hey guys i am trying to get into dc aswell as stay with marvel so what is going on i love all things batman.superman and green lantern just so you know.

Batman/Doc Savage special- Started off good then ran into some dialogue that didn't work, but as it neared the end it left me wanting more. Can't wait to see more of the First wave.

SWORD-I didn't read it, but flipped through it. Art looked good for everyone but Beast. Oh and Deaths Head back. The original. Yay! Hope they don't kill him.

Okay, got some issues. A few may have been from last week but I'll review them anyway...

Starting with Non-Marvel because I tend to like them better these days....

Black Terror 5 - What began as a 4 issue mini that took place between Project Superpowers vol. 1 and vol. 2, had now continued the numbering as an ongoing. Notice how they didn't relaunch the book with a shiny new #1 and charge an extra buck? Suck on that Marvel!

Anyhow, the Black Terror left the other heroes in Project Superpowers vol. 2 issue 4 (the most recent issue) to go avenge his old friend Archie (whose superhero name from WWII escapes me at the moment and I'm too tired to look it up). Well, his journey continues here and he's thinking about WWII and his friendship with the America-Themed hero Archie was. These days, Archie's memory is tarnished as there are undead dupes of him running around everywhere dressed in his colors working for he badguys... aka, modern day America. So the Black Terror wants to honor his long dead or missing friend by destroying all of these abominations.

It really is a good read and the art is great, as the art in all these Project Superpowers stories is, and the feeling from the original 4 issues is still there (as I believe Phil Hester wrote those as well). This was quite possibly my favorite issue of the week. It's a simple issue, not major event to build it up, no gimmicks or anything of the sort. It's just old fashioned superhero writing continuing what makes the rest of this line great.

Honestly people, no one talks about this stuff... and I have to say you're missing out. In my own opinion, anything in relation to Project Superpowers is better than near anything being put out by either Marvel or DC, and what little of Darkhorse that I've read... though it isn't much. If I had to drop everything, I think these would be the only things I would keep. READ THEM PEOPLE!!!!

A little help... here's a read order...

Project Superpowers 0-7
Masquerade 1-4
Death-Defying Devil Free Comic Book Day Oneshot
Death-Defying Devil 1-4
Black Terror 1-4
Project Superpowers Vol. 2 1/2
Project Superpowers Vol. 2 0-4 (up to date)
Black Terror 5

And then Project Superpowers: Meet the Bad Guys 1-3 (up to date) take place anywhere after the first volume but probably best prior to the beginning of the second volume.

There you go, they're all traded I believe... go give them a shot. That's my official recommendation.

The End League 9 - The final issue of the series and man is it packed!!! This series has been plagued with delays and now this final issue sees a 3rd artist after only 9 issues (I noticed the previous artist was on a Marvel book this week, Spidey perhaps?). The shifting art that took place in the middle of issue 4 was a huge shock, as the two styles were nothing alike, but it grew on me and now I prefer the later art to the original art really.

Anyway, this story by Rick Remender (current writer of Punisher, just finishing his run on Thunderbolts, and is about to start something else, don't remember what) wasn't the best read ever, and certainly wasn't worth all the waiting... but now that it is all out and available, I think it's worth a sit through. In one sitting it really is better and more enjoyable. The reason for this is that there are a lot of characters and a LOT is going on in every issue. In this final issue there's about 5 major storylines going on at once and it all comes to a head in this final battle that may or may not end humanity on Earth, long after the majority of everyone's already dead anyhow.

I will give it this, the ending is packed with action and storyline, some reveals, etc. And it really is a fulfilling ending to a story and series... something we seldom get out of Marvel or many other places, so that's a good thing at least. I finished this issue feeling like I accomplished something having read it.

I can't say that I'd suggest rushing out and spending your rent money on this title (like I would Project Superpowers :)) but if you have extra cash lying around and would like a good read in front of the fireplace or the like, then yeah, give it a shot. It's nothing to shout praises about, but it's a good story in a single sitting.

Glad I started it, glad I read it, but glad it's over and I don't have to worry about the wait anymore. But as I said... I liked it.

Echo 16 - Terry Moore's new series following his Strangers in Paradise title (which I've never read) hit it's halfway point as of last issue (it's a planned 30 issue series). So half way in and this story, though fairly simple in what will problem end up a complex way, is still pulling me in and making me care more for the characters, even the minor ones, way more than most of Marvel's characters years after they hit it big, such as Avengers or FF (but that's just me).

I'll also say this... this was probably my favorite issue of the entire series thus far. I really liked last issue but this one was very heartfelt and tugged at the emotions a little in places. The art and story of this series are good enough that I can really get into the book, even with it being black and white... and I HATE reading black and white. So that's saying something.

I'm eager to see where the story continues on to and I will definately be on board for the duration of the series. It definately says something that when I just typed that it hit me that a year from now I'll only be 3 issues away from the title's, and it made me sad.

Good stuff :)

Green Lantern Corps 42 Others have already mentioned this one quite a bit so I won't say much. I loved the issue and the death at the end was very heroic, so that if he stays dead then I'm okay with it because it was a great way to die during a great storyline in his own title. Good stuff. I'm tired of all the dead people coming back in the tie-ins and main series but this title, and the Green Lantern title, still feel like it's all important and things are moving forward.

Oh, and some amazing visuals by the art team. Top notch!

Last edited:
Now for the Marvel side of the coin....

Actually, I can't really say there was anything here that I didn't like. There were a few decent reads, but nothing bad or really bleh. So all in all, decent week for me, though now that I think about it I did skip a lot of titles over the last 3 weeks due to money issues so I skipped a lot of the titles I probably would have been bleh over, so there's that. Maybe I should skip crappy stuff more often. :)

Cable 20 - While Cable is probably my least favorite of the X-Titles (and I read them all save Wolverine and his stuff) I will say that it's not been too terribly bad of late. I hate that Bishop is the villain. I don't really care about Hope as a character, and Cable is one of those that can bore me after reading more than a few issues. In fact, the only reason I stick with this title is because it's fairly essential to the ongoing X-Men franchise, from Messiah Complex to Messiah War, and soon with Messiah Second Coming... though the fact that Cable's title isn't a part of that crossover makes me wonder if it's getting canceled leading into it. I haven't checked the solicits, but it makes me wonder.

Anyway, as I was saying originally... though it's my least favorite X-Title, it really isn't that bad. And I think my favorite thing to come out of it has been Post-Messiah War and Hope's relationship with the little bald kid, Emil, who has been the stories narrator since his debut. I honestly think he's kinda shined for me in this title and has become the star that draws me in.

Sadly, ol' Emil meets his unfortunate demise with this issue, saving both Hope and Cable and attempting to stop Bishop and the Brood from killing them. It was a good death scene for him and written very well. I'd say that most likely this was my favorite issue of the title, though I wouldn't yell and scream it to the rooftops, as the title hasn't exactly been stellular thus far. I'm eager for Messiah Second Coming to come and go so all this Baby Messiah/Hope stuff can be done. If the title isn't canceled, I'm ready to drop it.

I just hope somehow Bishop comes out of this redeemed, but most likely he'll come out dead and tainted. And I think Cable will come out of it a dead man as well.

X-Force 21 - Still easily my favorite X-Title every month. Continuing the story that began in the Necrosha One-Shot (and mentioning a little from the New Mutants Tie-in) here we see X-Force, along with Scott, Emma, and Vanisher, taking on characters long dead, now alive and being controled by Selene and her crew. This would have better impact if not for Blackest Night already being half way through, but as an X-Fan, I'm enjoying it.

The chance to see characters I liked that died suddenly back is cool... and unlike Blackest Night, there's still a semblance of themselves in their dead bodies (and they look normal... yay! No Zombies!). The biggest thing for me in this issue is the return of one of my all time favorite X-Men... BANSHEE!!!! Yeah, he's working for Selene, but he does snap back to his old self for a moment and apologizes and tries to fight Selene's programming, so there's a real hint now that these people Ressurected have a shot at staying alive once the stories over. Most are fodder, but I'd LOVE to see Banshee stay after the story is finished, as well as Pryo, Rusty Collins, and Risque. Not to mention Doug Ramsey over in New Mutants.

And the ending of the issue was interesting, though we knew it was coming already. Selene uses Eli Bard to raise Genosha... but it's done really well! It's done similar to how it was destroied. We see Emma and the Cuckoos on Cerebro watching as the lights suddenly blink on and the text to the side mentioning the population raising. This is parallel to New X-Men 116 (I believe) when Xavier was on Cerebro watching as the lights blinked out and the population's number dropped dramatically.

Oh, and in those mentioned raising on Genosha briefly... Katu Kath and Angelo Unuscione of the Acolytes. I don't know who Gianna Esperanza, Mortimer Everet, Andrew Graves, or Marcus Andrews are, but they were mentioned as well. Other mutants I guess.

Good issue, good fights, ready for the real storylines to start happening!

Sword 1 - I REALLY want this series to work, but my GOD the art just killed this issue for me. It was BAD! I know people have been saying it's been okay save for Beast, but I hated just about all of it. In fact, after skimming it, I was sad to put it back on the shelf, but a secon skimming later had me change my mind due to one thing...

Death's Head!!!

Now, I'm a fan of Death's Head II, and Death's Head... er... "I".... should be dead. However, I remembered the original comics and it is entirely possible that this is the original Death's Head from previous to his being killed by Death's Head II. Either way, I love the whole franchise so this was cool for me.

And really, that was the only redeeming quality for me. The story MIGHT be really good from here on out, and I hope it is, but Man.... Sanders has got to go. He killed the whole issue for me.

Oh, but as the only fan of Lifeguard and Slipstream out there, I was excited to see Slipstream on the screen of aliens that needs to go. Of course, that's a bit odd being that Lifeguard was half Shi'ar and it was never mentioned that Slipstream was, but I can roll with it if it means a potential appearance later from the two of them.

Nova 31 - Good issue as always. Being that it was from last week and people have already reviewed it a bunch, I won't say much. I find it interesting that we have a new Raptor running around now, though due to the lack of personality and presence of them, I'm growing to not care as much. I'm hoping for some good characterization on this new Raptor once the story continues.

I'm glad to see Darkhawk, and I'm eager to see where this whole thing goes.

Realm of Kings: Imperial Guard 1 - I wasn't really sure what to expect from this so I came in with no expectations. I'll say it wasn't Abnett and Lanning's best Cosmic work, but it certainly wasn't bad. It was an obligatory first issue that let's us know how Gladiator is doing as the boss and how others are taking it. We get to know some of the Imperial Guard better (LOOOONG over due). And as we already know, the Starjammers show up in the end.

Honestly, he only real "Oh cool" moment for me here was the unexpected appearance of Talon from the War of Kings: Ascension mini. I kinda forgot about him and didn't expect to see him show up. But now with Darkhaw in Nova, the new Raptor over there, and now Talon showing up here... I'm curious what Abnett and Lanning have planned with their fraternity.

Not the best Cosmic read out there, and not really worth the $4, but it's an okay issue. I'm not exactly STOKED for the rest of the mini but I'll get them and I'll probably grow to like them just fine.

Green Lantern corps: Enjoyable issue. I think people are overreacting at the ending too much tho. I loved how this shade of Nekron was forming and the Black Lanterns wanted to devour all will from the battery. =) Pretty enjoyable issue but it was more like yeah just a big thing for the next issue with Guy Gardner as Red Lantern.

Batman #693: I'm loving Tony Daniel's art and his writing has gotten better, but honestly? Was it his decision or DC's to have Riddler return to his old villanous mind? I also believe we've discovered now who the new Black Mask is. Very interesting choice. =) I kinda loved how Tony gave Richard the TDK costume for the end of this issue. I really think the TDK hyperealism costume would work in comics, but its definatly not something i would WISH for speficly. Overall an interesting issue but we need to see some action soon! <3

Red Robin #6 I don't know for some reason my interest on Red Robin is discreasing. The art was bloody awesome but i guess i didn't except the story to turn into League of Shadows vs. the Spider cult thing. =S

Batman & Robin #6 now this is what i'm talking about! :D Zur er arrh! :D I loved the art (yes, sue me if you wish) on the action. I just felt weird how the colorist forgot Jason's white streak all the sudden... Jason had some good dialogue but he still ended up being a total loser. Bragging how he defeated his pathethic arch enemy while Scarlet, Damian and Dick we're also fightning the Flamingo... Loved the ending. I really like how Dr. Hurt is back and seems to know who the Gravedigger is... is it Joker? =O I can't wait! Also take note on the magazine Oberon has on his bed. Can't wait for Blackest Knight!

How was Batman/Doc Savage? I ended up not buying it but i could get it this friday or today....

Haha, no need to get all bent out of shape about it. If he's still dead by the end of Blackest Night, that's when you want to freak out. ;)

Actually, I think I'm personally just beyond caring about that kind of thing at this point. Everyone comes back, and even if Kyle doesn't, I'll either find someone else to be a fan of or drop even more of DC's comics. Apathy, thy name is DC Comics.

You guys and your Kyle love are getting to scary levels. He'll be alive by the end of the event.

Well at least we know why Guy goes red!

Yeah, well, it happens when the character gets shafted, then fixed up a bit, then shafted again. The back-and-forth is a bit annoying to people who still prefer him to other GLs.

**** Kyle...what happened to the Wog? Last time I read GLC it looked like R. Lee. Ermey was about to remove his heart.

Say it ain't so!

Nah, Kilowog's fine. The Black Lantern just stops because the BLs reach 100% power. He would've totally died if they hadn't, though, which sucks.

Ah, all my big plans for yesterday. As I sat down in my recliner, I bagged all my new comics and was prepared to start reading...but, then swiftly fell asleep. Oh well...here are some reviews for today. (Plus, damn Netflix!!! I was wanting to see the new DVD, Spread...but, Netflix just mailed it to themselves, not to me.)

The Authority-The Lost Year Reader: All of those Wildstorm titles (Authority, Gen 13, Wildcats, and Stormwatch) haven't been that good; but, I'll definitely be getting all of Morrison's 12 issued Lost Year series. The first two issues were released years ago, and had such great promise. I was upset when the new Authority series was released, thinking Morrison's run would never be finished.

This is a good deal for those of you who never got the first two issues. (Even for me, I thought 2.99 for two comics I already own was a good deal. I didn't have to dig up the old comics.) In this comic, the Authority comes to our universe, where there are no superheroes, and can't get back, due to the lack of resources in our world. Most of the Authority realize it's best not to make their presence known, and to try and get back to their universe without causing any problems. Of course, some members, like Midnighter, see they could achieve what they've wanted all along, since they have no other superpowers to deal with. By the end of issue 2, things are starting to get out of control.

Again, this is a big recommendation. My only complaint would be that I love Gene Ha's art, and he being replaced by Trevor Scott in the rest of the series. (Not a big problem...Scott's art looks good in the two preview pages at the end of this issue...but, I loved the art by Ha in these first two issues.)

Titans #19: Another solo Titan issue, featuring Red Arrow. This title is looking for an identity, and is filled with a lot more misses than hits. This issue is one of the better ones, though. It focuses on Red Arrow's relationship with his daughter, and how due to his superhero activities, is never there for her. Also, there's a good battle with Lady Vic.

Marvel Super Hero Squad #3: A kid's book from Marvel, designed more for humor than anything else. It's cute, but not much more. I prefer the little strips in the second part of the issues more than the story in the first part.

Marvel Adventures Super Heroes #17: Another kid's book, but much better than most. Paul Tobin does a good job with the Marvel Adventures line, and I enjoyed this issue. It features a team-up of Thor, Captain America, Invisible Woman, and Vision; and, the only time it doesn't work is when the dialogue gets too immature, like when Sue Storm says "Finders keepers." Luckily, that doesn't happen much.

Booster Gold #26: Good Blackest Night tie-in! As most everyone can guess, Ted Kord comes back for the dead with his Black Ring. Guest starring Blue Beetle, the issue is set up nicely with Booster revisiting Ted's funeral, coming back just in time to see that all hell's broke loose. Can't wait for the next issue. Plus, it's a good issue for non-Booster fans who don't pick up his title. (BTW, thought it was neat that DC is giving out different colored rings with these tie-ins at the comic shops. So far, I have the Orange, Yellow, and Blue rings. Sure, they're cheap...but, I love getting something extra for free.)

Batman/Doc Savage Special: First Wave begins here! Just like before The Spirit's book started, Batman teams up with Doc Savage to solve a murder. This is not the Batman/Bruce Wayne we all know; this one has no trouble using guns in his fights. But, it starts a new Universe where these characters will be involved together. (The list at the back of this title for First Wave includes Batman, Doc Savage, Justice Inc., The Spirit, Black Canary, Rima The Jungle Girl, and The Blackhawks, all coming in March 2010.) This issue does its job well enough, getting my interest in this new line of comics.

Wait, do people actually think Kyle's dead?

When I read this, I thought, "Oh, cool cliffhanger, he'll be alive again by next issue." I didn't think Kyle was actually dead any more than I thought Hal had actually had his hand cut off at the end of that Green Lantern issue. So seeing the response on here has been quite a surprise.

I like Kyle, so I hope that I'm correct in my original assumption.

I honestly believe people are extremely overreacting. He died from a Green Battery explosion which for all we know could enchance him to Ionx or whatever alike being again. Not to mention Kilowogg is ****ing alien hippo, and you know what alien hippos all? the alien kingdoms most excelent cpr givers! We will see the most outrageous mouth to mouth action between Kilowogg and Kyle! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"