• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

Bought/Thought July 6th, 2010 *spoilers*

I knew it wasn't selling well, but I was hoping it would at least match Marvel's cosmic titles...or at least Vertigo standards, for that matter.

It occurred to me that perhaps the reason why DC is more willing to allow their lower selling series to last longer than Marvel does is because they have more of a foothold in the graphic novel market. Unlike Marvel, DC never relied on Diamond to get trades and HC's into book stores and libraries, and commands more of a presence there. The longer a series lasts, especially if it gets some cult buzz, the more trades they can sell for a longer period of time. Thanks to Vertigo, DC is well aware that they can sell many trades of a series that has been gone for years and more than make up any short-falls in monthly sales. Marvel, by contrast, has only recently ditched Diamond to sell to book-stores, and still treats "trade waiting" as a slur. Plus, DC also has more "evergreen" trades; trades of runs or arcs that sell no matter what or when. WATCHMEN is about the best example of a trade that always sells, but other Vertigo series count as well, such as PREACHER or TRANSMETROPOLITAN. Does Marvel have any trades that perennially sell that well? No, because they haven't encouraged it.

Or it could just come down to DC long having imprints like Vertigo or Wildstorm that don't sell well and thus having a lower threshold than Marvel does in terms of cancellation. Who knows. At any rate, you'll have enjoyed REBELS longer than I'll enjoy YOUNG ALLIES.

No, I think you're more or less right on your first assumption there. The only problem with is that DC's trade system is nothing short of pathetic in comparison to Marvel, but I think they have taken note from that thanks to the way Vertigo generally favors trade buying and such.

The "drop off" between SECRET AVENGERS #1 and #2 was quite harsh. The first issue sold about 106k and got a reprint; the second issue sold just under 78k. That means between the first and second issue, apparently 28,000 readers fell off (or retailers had over-ordered the debut by that many). While that's still very good these days, worthy of a Top 10 seller, Bendis' AVENGERS at issue two is still selling at almost 99k. Still, over 20% drops between issues one and two could be disturbing. For perspective, a drop off of 28,000 readers is about as high as the amount of people who bought HAWKEYE AND MOCKINGBIRD #1. 28,000 readers is more than every account that is registered at SHH, which includes dead accounts (the tally I believe is somewhere around 21,000 - 22,000 accounts).

I don't think that number really means as much as you are making it out to be. Most Number One issues will sell quite a few more copies than a Number Two issue. The way to truly understand that stat would be to compare it to other issues, and see if it's that much of a difference above the norm. (Also, I know I bought at least one different cover; so, in that regard, I wouldn't be buying as many copies of the next issue.) It's like in the movie industry...it's not the drop off the following week that determines how well the movie is still doing; it's the degree of drop off compared to what is a normal drop off.

Some final reviews before the new ones come out tomorrow.

Ender In Exile #2

This is still a pretty good comic; although, I would say not as interesting as the Formic Wars storyline that preceeded it. In this, Ender has been exiled from Earth, because many in the military feel threatened by his military genius. He's been sent to be a govenor of the colony that's taken over the Formic homeworld, and not everyone aboard his transport wants to see him do that. Also, he's trying to discover the secrets of the Formics and what led them to be so easily slaughtered by him. :yay:

Casanova #1

Fraction's Casanova is so much more interesting than Iron Man...and, a lot more happens in this first issue than five issues of the other. Best of all...the artists from Daytrippers do the art for this comic, and their style works really well with Fraction's writing. The story itself is a bit hard to explain...and, to understand at times. It's all alternate Earth, same-person-but-different-character type stuff. There is also a neat back-up tale that adds to a previous scene from the main story. :yay::yay:

Scarlet #1

Not as brilliant as Casanova, but still pretty entertaining. The main character, Scarlet, talks to the reader throughout this first issue, letting us know about her past life and inner thoughts. Maleev's art works brilliantly with this type of story that Bendis does so well. This first issue lets you know everything that's pertinent to the character and what direction this story will be going in. Also, since Maleev and Bendis know Portland, Oregon so well, it's only fitting that the story takes place there. (I even recognized a place or two that Maleev draws.) It's good to see Marvel's Icon division is finally expanding a bit of late. They really need something that can compete with DC's Vertigo, and these two comics only make that more of a reality. :yay:

i Zombie #3

I enjoyed the first two issues, but this third one dragged a bit. It took me a while to get back into...but, thankfully, I'm really into Allred's work. (Hard to believe I hated X-Static way back when, but now have an appreciation for what he does.) At least by issue's end, I was kind of hooked again and wanting to find out what happens next.

On a side note, I really hate that DC doesn't have an opening page that gives a brief summary of what's happened before. Sure, many people don't have the same problem I do remembering what happened before; but, when I read about 30 comics a week, some comics tend to leave my mind when the next issue rolls around. :dry::yay:

Sweet Tooth #11

This issue ends the second part of Lemire's fantastic Vertigo title...my favorite of all Vertigo titles I currently read...and, finishes the flashback of what happened to Mr. Jepperd and his wife so many years ago. This story takes up the entirety of the issue; and, even though the main story didn't advance at all, I didn't mind. The past four issues have been building to the conclusion of his story, and now I can't wait to see him return to Sweet Tooth and kick some butt. :woot:

The Atom Special One-Shot

This Brightest Day tie-in is kind of dull. It retells The Atom's origin, as Raymond tries to piece together who might have broke into one of his labs and stolen some important work he's been working on. Turns out that The Atom had a mysterious uncle who'd show up out of the blue from time to time when he was a kid, trying to inspire him since Raymond's father appeared to love his brother more. The big reveal is that this uncle seems to be behind the break in, and by issue's end, The Atom discovers his father has been murdered.

Not to worry about the cliffhanger ending...because, this is just DC's attempt to make you buy Adventure Comics, where The Atom's adventures will be continuing. (I guess it will be the back-up tale.) To me, that was more lame than this issue. Last thing I want to do is read a prelude to a back-up story...especially a character as boring as The Atom. (Yep, never liked him that much. The most interesting he ever became was back in the 80's with Sword Of The Atom, or whatever that mini was called.) It's even made worse by DC trying to tie this story into Brightest Day. :dry:

Batman Odyssey #1

Good first issue of this twelve-part maxi-series by Neal Adams. It seems that every year or two, DC puts out one of these that looks back on the early days of Batman, and this first issue gives us two tales. One is a flashback of why Batman doesn't use guns, as told by Bruce Wayne to Dick when he was still a very young Robin. The other story is more complex, involving quite a few characters, and is probably the theme of the book. There are bat-like creatures, a theft being supposedly planned by The Riddler, and lots of mystery concerning both. I'm interested to see what happens next, though can't go so far as saying I'm hooked. Basically, I could "take it or leave it" after this first issue. :yay:

Brightest Day #5

I wish I could pin-point it...but, something about this issue really started to bore me with this title. I mean, I should have enjoyed that we got some decent action finally; but, maybe it's just that I'm starting to care less about the various characters, even ones that I was enjoying previously.

Maybe one of the problems is that all the characters that this book focuses on this issue really aren't that interesting to make me want to follow them in a solo title. Deadman, Hawkman and Hawkgirl, Hawk and Dove, and Aquaman...that doesn't exactly have people lining up at the door. Every character there has had numerous chances at a few ongoing series...but, they've all been cancelled for the very reason that readers aren't drawn to them. Add in the fact that this story advances extremely slow issue to issue, I'm picturing readers dropping the final issues in droves. :dry:

Casanova #1

Fraction's Casanova is so much more interesting than Iron Man...and, a lot more happens in this first issue than five issues of the other. Best of all...the artists from Daytrippers do the art for this comic, and their style works really well with Fraction's writing. The story itself is a bit hard to explain...and, to understand at times. It's all alternate Earth, same-person-but-different-character type stuff. There is also a neat back-up tale that adds to a previous scene from the main story. :yay::yay:

Yeah, back when it was coming out through Image it come out in slimmed down $1.99 issues and always felt like it twice as much story as a regular sized issue, or even two, of the average. Glad you enjoyed it :up:

This was a DAMN good week of comics for me!

BATMAN AND ROBIN # 13 - Morrison and Irving back together. I've been in love with Frazer Irving's work since I saw it on the Klarion the Witch Boy series that he did with Grant during Seven Soldiers. The dialogue between Gordon and Grayson-Batman was really spot on and really enjoyed it. Classic moment when Gordon tells Grayson Batman "I got a text saying that Joker wants to speak with Robin. You think Robin will be all right?" Grayson retorts "It's the Joker I am worried about!". Oh man. PERFECT! Then we get Damian alone in the room with The Joker and a FREAKIN' CROWBAR! Then we are going to get the return of Pyg? Yeah, Morrison's Batman run continues to be the definitive Batman run to me. It just gets better and better. Keep it up.

THE BOYS # 44 - This title was really losing gas for a bit there about 12 issues ago. However, Ennis and company have just really set it into overdrive. After the events that transpired with Malchemical Butcher and Hughie kind of have a heart to heart. Mother's Milk, however, is still VERY pissed at Butcher about what he did to poor Hughie. I'm wondering what is going to be going on with this weird turn the Homelander has taken and the whole A-Train peaking his head in on it. Then we FINALLY seem to be getting the reveal that has been waiting to happen for years now...Starlight reveals to Hughie that she is a superhero after Hughie tells her about what happened that last time he told a woman he said he loved her. Great scott I can't wait for the next issue. I want to get a freakin' time machine so I can jump ahead and read it right now. Great stuff and the only thing I was disappointed about was that Darick Robertson was not the penciller but the guest penciller did a really nice job.

SWEET TOOTH # 11 - Ok...if you are not reading Sweet Tooth than you are not a comic book fan. That's right, I said it. You just should not be a fan of comics if you don't read this. :oldrazz::oldrazz: Just kidding. Seriously though...this issue was just absolutely awesome. Jeff Lemire is a GREAT writer. From the beginning of this I was like, "Jeppard seems like a pretty good guy". Then he pawns off poor Gus to the laboratory for his "gift". Then you're like, "Jeppard you, *****e bag, how could you do that to Gus? I hate you now!" Then you see he wants his dead wifes body back to bury her and you begin to see Jeppard and his wifes journey after the "event" happens. Then you start to slightly warm back up to him. Then...after this issue...with him locked up in that dog cage wanting to see his wife. That guy lets him out and Jeppard just basically kills EVERYONE in his way like a true bad ass just in time to see his wife in labor. That damn doctor, who must have taken some great martial arts classes, trashes Jeppard. Then we find out why he did what he did to Gus. Then the last panel... "...I'm gonna kill them all". Just AWESOME. Now I'm so back behind Jeppard and hope that he can get to Gus and save him from those *****. Keep it up Jeff Lemire you are writing one of the best comics on the stands.

THE WALKING DEAD # 74 - Ok...when they started this new story arc with the main group ending up at this new community I was starting to feel a little bored. However, the past two issues, including this one, has got me REALLY into this new arc BIG TIME. It seems this guy who is "the leader" has a more dark side to him than you think. It seems that because of Abraham's actions and Rick, well being Rick, has some of the other community members kind of wanting to see a change of leadership. Unfortunately that damn priest has to throw a monkey wrench into things, which I just had a bad feeling about that guy. So this issue has definitely once again turned up the drama and intensity with the series. Kirkman is writing such a great comc and Charlie Adlard is just getting so much better in his work. I just love getting this book each and every month. If you are not reading Walking Dead...DO IT! Yeah, it's got the whole "zombie" thing going on but it's not just about the zombies. It's great character studies and just fantastic story telling and ANYTHING CAN HAPPEN. Keep it up guys I'm with you all the way, even if I'm poor I will sell blood to be able to buy this comic.

AMAZING SPIDER-MAN # 636 (Grim Hunt Part 3) - The Spider-Man book continues to just be super entertaining. Joe Kelly has been doing a great job with the Grim Hunt storyline. It was a bummer to see that Michael Lark only did the three pages at the end but Checchetto did a great job as well so I am definitely not gonna complain about that. The reveal of Kraven now being "undead" because of the tainted blood from Kaine was a great touch. I thought Kraven would have come out like his son Vladimir but this works just as well. Loved how Kraven just KNEW something was off about everything. I have to admit that I was pretty upset about Kaine biting the dust, being a huge Clone Saga nut, but the way they let him go out was so awesome. He went out getting to be a hero, just like his "brother". Now they dialogue from # 635 made sense to Madame Web. "It was good to know what it was like..." and then he just got massacred. That was very touching. Then when Peter climbed out of the grave and we saw the flashbacks to what Kaine did...nice...and then Peter seeing Kaine in the coffin with the black costume lying there and the note "Hunt Me". It gave me freakin' goosebumps. Just fantastic stuff. So, looks like Peter is gonna be "Back in Black". Heh. And the Stan Lee/Marcos Martin back up is really fun. However, it bugs me SO BAD that it's only two pages. I mean Martin's artwork is so beautiful and so fun that I just want so much more. OH SO MUCH MORE. Apparently it seems Peter is building some sort of time machine it looks like. Heh. Wonder how that is gonna work out. Guess we'll find out next issue.

THANOS IMPERATIVE

I was a pretty big fan of the cosmic books a few years ago, but I feel lost in the first 2 issues. Too many faces and artwork that is a bit confusing. I love the Thanos character so I plan to stay til the end.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"