Bought/Thought November 11th, 2009 --SPOILERS

There was no need for it to be Kyle whatsoever. It could have been Guy or John or anyone else, but no it was Kyle, the most popular Lantern that's not Hal Jordan. Essentially Hal's competition. It wreaks of Johns ''Let's make Kyle look bad, so we can lift Hal up on a pedestal even more."

:huh: Why would it be John? He's not a cast member of this book, hell he's not even really a cast member of the solo Green Lantern comic.

Wait, do people actually think Kyle's dead?

When I read this, I thought, "Oh, cool cliffhanger, he'll be alive again by next issue." I didn't think Kyle was actually dead any more than I thought Hal had actually had his hand cut off at the end of that Green Lantern issue. So seeing the response on here has been quite a surprise.

:hehe: Pretty much. Can't say I thought it was an especially "cool" cliffhanger...pretty standard stuff really.

Last edited:
Transformer-sized Death's Head and Beta Ray Bill joining SWORD would make me insanely happy. How badass a team would that be? Brand, Beast, Lockheed, Death's Head, and Beta Ray Bill. :awesome:

Damn brilliant idea. And a good reason for me to get the book.

Transformers-sized DH? I don't care that they can't explain that and keep it in continuity. That's just ****ing cool.

Oh, but they can! Alternate-universe/time-hopping Death's Head from out of the Fault. The Fault fixes everything! :awesome:

The thought of althernate universe Death's Head both scares and intrigues me. An unending supply of Freelance Peacekeeping Agents. The horror. The beautiful horror.

What I want to see now is how DHII reacts to the return of DH.

Gillen's a Brit, so I wouldn't be surprised if he's interested in that too. Maybe in a future arc. (I totally had no idea that SWORD was actually an ongoing until I got the issue and noticed it didn't have the "Limited Series" note on the cover.)

SWORD is an ongoing? That's good to know. If DH sticks around, I have another series to add to my TPB buying list.

I wish Marvel took up Liam Sharp on his Ultimate Death's Head II proposal a few years back. Just would have been interesting.

Eh, I would've passed because I don't read any Ultimate comics. But I've always had a passing interest in Marvel UK Death's Head, even though his history is a bit too convoluted for me to ever really get into him.

Death's Head or Death's Head II? Because the former isn't all too complicated, while the latter is confusing as all hell at times.

Huh, I'm guess the latter, since you mention M-UK.

I usually ignore the Ultimate books as well, but dammit, it was DHII and the design was a good one (looked like Sharp took elements of that for his DC Lord Havok mini).

I heard about Death's Head II first, oddly enough. I've only scratched the surface of the original Death's Head by skimming through the Marvel Appendix website's entry on him.

As did I, actually. I went back and picked up issue on of Death's Head, and became an instant fan of the original.

You should check out the Death's Head II maxi series, the Incomplete Death's Head. Reprints his first appearance, the Doctor Who issues where he is shrunk, the Dragons Claws issue he "debuted" in, and his 10 issue series. The surrounding storyline is pretty entertaining, too, involving DHII.

The series doesn't acknowledge his earliest Transformers appearances.

I'll have to do that sometime. He seems like an awesome character but I just never really got into his old series, and then he was completely off the radar for a long time.

X-Force #21. This issue was a bit underwhelming. The Necrosha story isn't really grabbing me, probably because I either don't know the folks who were resurrected, or I don't care. Nothing here to grab me, Plus Crain's art was hard to decipher at times. I like it's painted feel, but I had to really stare at some of the panels to understand just what I was looking at. I'm not saying this issue sucked or anything, it just wasn't as good as others I've read in the past.

There was no need for it to be Kyle whatsoever. It could have been Guy or John or anyone else, but no it was Kyle, the most popular Lantern that's not Hal Jordan. Essentially Hal's competition. It wreaks of Johns ''Let's make Kyle look bad, so we can lift Hal up on a pedestal even more."

So you think Kyle looked bad sacrificing himself to save the power battery and essentially the galaxy's hope in defeating the Black Lanterns?

You've gotten so used to blaming Hal for everything that you've even worked him into Kyle's heroics.

I like it.

:up:

:hal: :hal: :hal:

As did I, actually. I went back and picked up issue on of Death's Head, and became an instant fan of the original.

You should check out the Death's Head II maxi series, the Incomplete Death's Head. Reprints his first appearance, the Doctor Who issues where he is shrunk, the Dragons Claws issue he "debuted" in, and his 10 issue series. The surrounding storyline is pretty entertaining, too, involving DHII.

The series doesn't acknowledge his earliest Transformers appearances.

I grew to like Death's Head during the original Death's Head II mini (1st issue really). Of course, he was dead after that so I just fell in love with DHII without much knowledge of DH. But once I read what I have of Incomplete Death's Head, I fell in love with the original as well. Both are great.

Honestly Corp, they're both great characters. If you want to try them out, get Death's Head II 1-4 (original mini) and if you like that you can move on to his ongoing, which is just as good from beginning to end. There's some cameos between the two that effects the ongoing, but it isn't a huge thing. A comic called Warheads had a story around issue 5 and 6 that is the biggest impact.

Anyhow, after that, the Incomplete Death's Head is still in Death's Head II's continuity while giving a great recap on the history of the original DH. Good stuff.

I picked up tons of these things in a quarter bin, just out of curiosity, and man was it rewarding.

Batman and Robin #6 - Anyone else get a Purple Rain vibe from the cover? Anyway, Grant Morrison writes another great issue -- I still can't believe I'm starting to like Damien -- but Philip Tan's art really brings this issue down a few notches. Thank god this was his last issue.

Amazing Spider-Man #611 - While the editing humor is incredibly forced and repetitive, the rest of the issue is pretty funny -- it's great to see Joe Kelly writing Deadpool again. While the interior art isn't great, the cover's jab at Rob Liefield makes up for it.

The Unwritten #7 - Another fantastic issue. Tom gets himself into more trouble inside the prison and the issue has one hell of a cliffhanger. This is already another Vertigo classic.

Daredevil #502 - Another promising issue from Andy and Robert. Owl is out of the picture for now, Kingpin is rising back to his throne again, and we're hinted at Daredevil using the Hand to his advantage. While the art seems a little off, it definitely gets the job done.

Last edited:
I grew to like Death's Head during the original Death's Head II mini (1st issue really). Of course, he was dead after that so I just fell in love with DHII without much knowledge of DH. But once I read what I have of Incomplete Death's Head, I fell in love with the original as well. Both are great.

Honestly Corp, they're both great characters. If you want to try them out, get Death's Head II 1-4 (original mini) and if you like that you can move on to his ongoing, which is just as good from beginning to end. There's some cameos between the two that effects the ongoing, but it isn't a huge thing. A comic called Warheads had a story around issue 5 and 6 that is the biggest impact.

Anyhow, after that, the Incomplete Death's Head is still in Death's Head II's continuity while giving a great recap on the history of the original DH. Good stuff.

I picked up tons of these things in a quarter bin, just out of curiosity, and man was it rewarding.

I'm not a big fan of the ongoing they did for DHII. After issue 5, it sort of went downhill. They did this whole thing where he went to discover who he was, but from what I recall from reading the whole series last month they never got to that. They just did another round about with Charnal and called it a series.

The problem with DHII, Marvel UK as a whole, is that a lot of character development came outside of character's series. Battle Tide 1 and 2, MyS-TECH War, Death^3, Death Wreak, Death Metal, Battle Axe, Death's Head II and Die-Cut, Death's Head Gold (which was never concluded). So much got scattered everywhere because he was so damn popular out of the gate that he got bogged down by his own popularity.

Thankfully the ongoing started off coherent enough that it made up for the fact that the major focal point of the plot, the Sapphire Lotus, was actually picked up during a pair of Warheads issues between series.

And a quick question unrelated to DHII. I thought the Punisher Max series (the previous one and the current one) was in continuity with the Marvel Universe, since it follows Ennis's work on Welcome Back, Frank and the Marvel Knights series. But now the new Punisher Max is placed during the time of the rise of Kingpin, his origin story. Can't be a flashback story since they mentioned Castle killing for 30 years, which would be current. So now I'm confused (the book was well written nonetheless and Steve Dillon's art is still some of the best).

REBELS continues to be one of DC's best ongoings. I'm sure it's selling about as well as poop-flavored donuts would, but I pity the fools who aren't reading it. It's a wonderful, frenetic series that gives you a taste of DC's cosmic side without having to deal with rainbow Lanterns everywhere. Even the Star Conqueror retcon for Starro, which I hated initially, is growing on me.

Now, contrary to what I just said, this issue begins REBELS' Blackest Night tie-in, so there are a few Lanterns around. But they're used so much better here that I enjoyed them quite a lot. You start out with Vril Dox's ragtag group of outlaws and ex-LEGION members plus Adam Strange and Comet (recently freed up by the cancellation of Strange Adventures. Pretty low-power group overall--someone even mentions that they're pretty much nothing compared to Lanterns, just one of whom can lay waste to an entire planet. But Dox doesn't care; as far as he's concerned, he's fighting what he believes is the worst thing the galaxy's ever seen in Starro and his army.

Then a Black Lantern shows up.

The book takes on a tone that's kind of a weird mix of space opera and slasher horror as the group desperately flees this thing that's a tier above even normal Lanterns.

Then the Sinestro Corps and some of Starro's lieutenants show up.

Basically, things keep going from bad to worse and everything falls apart around Vril, but he of course remains as lovably arrogant and obnoxious as ever, even going so far as taunting the Black Lantern, who happens to be in the form of his dead wife. While all of this is going on, Lyrl Dox, son of Vril and the now-Black-Lanternized Stealth, is captured and taken to Starro, who unlocks his dormant 12th-level intelligence--enough to rival even his father's. So basically the universe is looking pretty doomed: even if the Black Lanterns don't destroy everything, it's still gotta contest with Starro's armies and Lyrl's brains.

And then the issue ends on probably the most awesome thing I could ever imagine: Vril Dox, Sinestro Corpsman. :awesome: :awesome: :awesome:

Although not really about the comics I bought themselves, let me share my thoughts on my comic shop:

It sucks.

After 14 years I'm beginning to get very frustrated with that dump. Every week now, EVERY WEEK, the shop gets "shorted" books and I have to go through my list to tell them what to have brought in from their other stores. Every flipping week. Not to mention it's NOT indie friendly, so the only times I get to sample small press is when I go to cons and meet creators. Plus, I had special ordered a book 2 months before it was due to come out. It took me over a month AFTER it came out to finally get the damn thing.

So why haven't I jumped ship yet? Convenience, sadly. The shop is mere blocks from my house. Any other shop would require a 20 minute train ride or more. I AM considering it, though. If for nothing more than to get away from this guy who fits EVERY negative stereotype of a comic fan you've ever heard. ANNOYING little...

Wolverine, I feel your pain. I had a comic shop like that many years ago (in the 90's). They just couldn't get my order correct. Eventually, after the comic industry almost went into the toilet, they closed shop. I found a different shop, which I'm very happy with. (Occassionally, they will miss a comic...but, that's to be expected with the amount I order. Best yet, they get me most every Marvel varient, and they don't charge me more than the cover price...minus my normal 20% off.)

As the years have gone on, and as I've been more organized with my comics, I have filled in the countless holes that old comic shop missed....and, it was quite a few!! AND, it always seemed to be an expensive comic, like the first appearance of Hellboy in that old Byrne series (can't think of the name right now..just think New Men, but I don't think that's it) or Deadpool vs. Widdle Wade, which cost me about 30 bucks this year. Plus, I still tend to find something not there.

It's definitely worth it to have a comic store you can trust. I say switch.

Man, I can't imagine those decent variants for cover price. My shop charges 14.99 for the variants. Thus, I don't buy them.

I did buy one once, and I ended up selling it a month later because I needed money :)

It was the House of M issue with the cover by Cassaday (Wolverine on the cover). It was a great cover, and I hated the normal HoM covers. If I could, I'd go out and buy all the variants (as I need to buy those again now) but I don't want to spend the extra money.

Back to some reviews:

Strange #1: Of this batch I just read, this is the worst. It's still not bad; I just like my Doctor Strange a bit more serious. It sure didn't help that the art was more comical, too. This issue explains that Strange has lost much of his powers, and his hands are again damaged to the point where even some simple spells are not available for him to do. In the first issue of this 4-issue mini, Doc is attending a baseball game, meeting the young granddaughter of the owner. It's learned that 30 years ago, the prior team made a pact with a demon, and the demon is coming to collect on this day. It's up to Doc Strange and the young gal to save the day.

It is a cute, one issue story; but, I loved the old Doctor Stranger series from the 80's and 90's. I'm not a fan of this weaker Doc or the new Doctor Voodoo. I sure wouldn't recommend it at the overpriced $3.99 price, especially since this felt more like a good Marvel Adventures story. For $2.99, you can get a story just as good with Tobin's current writing on Marvel Adventures Spider-Man.

X-Force #21: I'm so mixed on X-Force. Part of me likes Crain's art, and he's a hell of a nice guy that I've met twice at a Comic Con; but, the art also distracts me from the story much of the time. It's all kind of dark, the characters seem a bit lifeless, and sometimes with these large cast of characters, I'm left wondering who someone is. This Necrosha story does interest me, though; even though everyone will compare it to Darkest Night. This issue has tons of action, and the last part of the book makes me wanting to see what happens next.

I will make one other complaint. I really don't like how the X-Men have completely gone over to the other side in terms of killing their opponents. Many of the characters brought back aren't even reasoned with...just the X-Men know they are practically undead, and the don't blink an eye when killing them again. And, unlike with Darkest Night, the characters don't even look dead.

Black Panther #10: This "Prelude To Doom War" really just continues what we've been reading since issue #1, when T'Challa's plane was attacked after paying a visit to Doom. Like with most of these issues, there's just lots of stuff happening within this issue. We see Doom's plan is working just as he wants, as he's able to hack into Wakanda's systems and is aware of everything that's happening. T'Challa is attempting to strengthen himself for the upcoming battle, even at the risk of alienating his wife, family and country. Storm is on a diplomatic mission to help the struggling nation, beset with drought conditions that her powers are unable to help. And, finally, Shuri, the new Black Panther, is fighting some cybernetically augmented soldiers...and, in the end, is wearing armor very similiar to Pepper Potts in Iron Man, just with Panther features. Good issue, and I love how Doom is presented as such a threat to the nation of Wakanda. This is much better than the Doom I've been seeing in the pages of Fantastic Four for the last ten year.

Cable #20: Good issue that ends this latest storyarc. I love seeing The Brood again, and this issue was filled with action. My only complaint is I'm getting so tired of seeing Bishop chasing Cable throughout time. Cable used to be such a bad-ass; but, all we see him do is constantly fleeing. It's become a bit tiresome, and I wish they'd just get that plot over with by now.

Moon Knight #3: I loved this issue!!! I'm great a writer has finally taken Moon Knight in a direction I find enjoying; for, most of his last series was almost unreadable. I love seeing the return of Bushman (although, could have done without ANOTHER Hood appearance. My gosh, between him and Deadpool, they must appear in 50% of Marvel's comics!). I can't wait for the next issue.

Last edited:
Thanks...another one of my usual brainfarts. I always just look at the second name on a cover and not think about it, even though I know that it should have been Crain.

Yeah, but given that that kind of stuff would happen anyway, it works.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"