Bought/Thoughtfest, June 22, 2011, Rocking the Spoilers All Week Long!

TheCorpulent1

SHAZAM!
Reaction score
Good goddamn The Mighty Thor was great this week. I almost want to take back all of the terrible things I said about Fraction's first arc, but I won't because I know that first arc still sucks. This arc's greatness is all the more surprising because of that, though. Odin is still a bit more obnoxious than I'd like, but I can guess at some reasons for his demeanor. The metaphor about Galactus desiring godhood via the seed's limitless energy supply was nicely done. Thor and the Surfer's fight was all kinds of awesome. (I was particularly fond of the headbutt, if that wasn't already obvious. ;)) I could've done without most of the major Asgardians suiting up in overly ornate armor, but that's a very minor quibble next to the promise of the gods waging all-out war on Galactus and the Surfer next issue. Volstagg crying about war with Broxton was more silly than funny, but it helped balance the tone of the much more serious conflict with Galactus. Loki sneaking into Sif and Thor's room for a lock of the former's hair and getting caught was pretty funny, though. And of course Coipel's art is stellar all the way through. Overall, it was both fun and exciting, as any story featuring the gods and Galactus should be. Can't wait for the next issue.

Secret Avengers' stab at Asgardian stuff, on the other hand, was underwhelming at best. We get a fairly uneven story where Valkyrie is a bit of a curt jerk for no apparent reason and the real focus is on some random soldier couple who get deployed to fight Sin's Nazi mechs. That's paired with an apparent origin story for Valkyrie--which, in keeping with that grand Marvel tradition, bears absolutely no resemblance to her already established origin story. So that's irritating. I guess I could just chalk it up to a previous Ragnarok cycle or something, but that seems like too much work for such a bland issue. I think I'll just ignore this issue altogether instead. :o

Captain America #619 - the last arc of the title in its current name/format wraps up, and there's no way this is meant to be Ed Brubaker's last 21st century Bucky story. It's not in any sense a finale, with villains still at large; in fact, it feels more like a beginning. Also, it really doesn't line up that well with Fear Itself.

The Mighty Thor #3 - I continue to be amazed at how much better this is than Fraction's first Thor arc, which made me drop the book before I decided to see what was going on in this series. Even the return of Odin, which I felt at the time was rather unnecessary, is used interestingly. Galactus and the Surfer are both very well-written as well, and this feels much, much more epic than the fight against those interdimensional aliens did.

Wolverine #11 - good, but in a lot of ways repetitive of last issue, apart from the intriguing ending. This story arc could really stand to get to the conclusion, as well as Aaron is telling it.

So good news everybody! Hopefully my whinning and complaining about how much I spend will be lessoned! I managed to go through my comics and buy list and cut everything down to a respectable amount. My goal has always been $100 a month and I've been spending around $140 or more for the past 6 months or more. So, I made some tough sacrefices and planning ahead. July and August are actually less than $100, though September is still a tad bit over around $115 give or take, but it's in a decent range.

That said, this ended up being a smaller week than expected since I've officially dropped Wolverine and Secret Avengers. That saved me $8 (both being $4 comics), but since my price changes officially start in July, I let myself fill those two comic slots with two $3 comics that I wasn't planning on buying... and I still ended up spending around $9 less than my weekly budget... and it felt pretty dang good.

Batman: Gates of Gotham #1 & 2 (of 5) - These are the two that I unexpectedly picked up. The covers interested me and I skimmed the first issue due to that when it was released last month but didn't get it due to budget. With the second issue coming out today, and the news that this writer will be writing the main Batman book in September, I decided to use my lessoned comic spending income to give them a shot.

The verdict is happiness. This really has turned out to be a good choice, as I really enjoyed these. The story is very interesting and I love the feel of modern Gotham and 1800s Gotham as we deal with the 4 powerful families from then and now (Waynes, Cobblepots, Elliotts, and the Gates). The Waynes are connected to Bruce Wayne, the Cobblepots to Pinguin, and the Elliotts to Hush, but the Gates are new and apparently they have something to do with the attacks on the history of these families.

I also like that the star isn't Bruce Wayne but a fairly equal distribution of Dick, Damian, Tim, and Cassandra (in her new Dark Bat character). I'll definately be sticking with this one and I think this has cemented my buying of Batman in September (in addition to Batman & Robin, and Batman Inc. come January when it's second "season" begins). Yeah, that adds to my September buy list but I have time to play with it and get it down.

For Phaed and anyone else who seem underwhelmed or annoyed by Batman's titles, this is a pretty good one to try out. I might even try to catch up on Snyder's Detective run... but we'll see if I can afford it.

Iron Man 2.0 #6 - I hate when there's more than one artist on an issue so splitting Olivetti with Giandomenico annoys me, but at least the Giandomenico covers only the prologue and epilogue, so it doesn't distract from the main story.

Now I'm only buying issues 5-7 of this title for Iron Fist and the Immortal Weapons and I like the focus they've been getting in these two issues. It's not a whole lot but being that it isn't their book that's understandable. There's good focus on the 8th City, on Iron Fist, on the Immortal Weapons, and a new character called the Monkey King, who seems to be a new threat being built, potentially for Iron Fist. He gets a oneshot Fear Itself tie-in I think in September and I've budgeted to buy it. We'll see how it plays out though.

As for this issue itself it does suffer from the thing that Dread always complains about (and rightfully so) and that's that this story can't go too far since it isn't the main mini, but there's some decent action as Monkey King, War Machine, Iron Fist, and the Immortal Weapons take on Titania and Absorbing Man (both now with their hammers). It seems like a quick fight (though unfinnished at this point) and I'm hoping to have a better show next issue when this wraps up.

I do like that Iron Fist seems to be becoming a focus of the arc by Dr. Strange's mention of his being the problem about this whole 8th City being freed thing. I'm curious how that plays out next issue.

Good issue. Not great, but I'm still glad I bought it.

New Mutants #26 - DnA's second issue on this title and I'm still liking it. I won't say that it's amazing or anything but as a fan of the Age of Apocalypse I'm happy with it. I like Nate, though he's a minor character here, and I like the Sugar Man, who is a big character here. What I didn't like though was Sugar Man's stooges. If you're going to have someone mention their former mutant power don't make it so unoriginal it hurts. THis guy was basically Banshee in everything but name. Then they're made into generic robo thugs (though I do like that they're mentioned as being new Mutates, since Sugar Man created the Mutate program of Genosha).

All in all I liked last issue better. This was lagged a bit but hopefully next issue will turn up the heat. I have trust in DnA. I'm mostly excited to see how it ends and what becomes of Nate Grey though. He needs to be a powerhouse again and not the whipping boy he's been in Dark X-Men and this.

X-Men Legacy #251 - I thought this was really good. This Legion arc has been very enjoyable and it doesn't seem like it'll be dragged out at all, and that's good. Carey has a great handle on these characters and I like them together. It's a shame that they'll likely only be together for a short time before Schism comes along to screw it up.

I felt that the two personalities they took down here were interesting. The main guy was unoriginal but the girl was pretty cool. And I'm eager for the final confrontation with Styx. It's pretty cool seeing Legion with control over himself and actually acting as an X-Man. I've always liked him (perhaps due to my love of the Age of Apocalypse) and it's cool to see him fighting on the side of the angels for once.

While I liked the students, this book really did lag during that run. Ages of X was really good in hindsight but somewhat boring during the initial reading of it, but since then this book's been all aces and I couldn't be any happier. I might even go as far as to call this my favorite X-Book at the moment, surpassing even Uncanny X-Force.

Best and Worst of the Week:

Best: Batman: Gates of Gotham #2 - I had to check and see if I thought this issue alone could hold this rank since I read issue 1 and 2 together and I absolutely believe it deserves the rank. I'm so glad I gave these a shot and am eager for the rest of this run and more from Snyder.

Worst: New Mutants #26 - Not that it was bad but it was just a little underwhelming. While I like the New Mutant characters, I've just never been huge on them together and I think that effects my love of this title, since I've never really gotten into it. This issue lagged and I felt the most interesting aspect was Nate Grey and he did nothing this issue. Hopefully this build up issue leads to a great one next month.

Last edited:
Gates of Gotham had another solid issue this week. I'm glad I decided to pick this mini up. I wasn't going to until I saw Cassandra Cain mentioned in some of the solicitations for later issues. So far it's been interesting. I love that Snyder and Higgins seem to be exploring the roles of the Bat-family members. Cass' comment about everyone knowing Tim's good with computers and piecing stuff together hinted that maybe she's not quite as comfortable with her role--ostensibly, that she's known solely as the "ass-kicker" of the family (now complete with a checkered recent past and far too intimate ties to the League of Assassins thanks to Adam f***ing Beechen). I hope the writers explore that some more. The other part of the main plot, taking place in flashbacks going all the way back to the founding and early days of Gotham, is surprisingly engrossing. I was expecting the families of Gotham all having ties to modern-day characters to come off as cheesy and forced, like Gotham just arbitrarily revolves around these guys and their families because we happen to know who they are, but the families' backstories have been appropriately fleshed out to the point that it all feels natural. The Elliotts being major newspaper figures rather than a long line of doctors, for example, was a great touch that saved them from feeling too convenient. The ending, with the Gates revealed as the final one of early Gotham's "four families," set up an interesting cliffhanger to move on from next issue. The art is also pretty good--lots of crisp, clean lines and bold colors. Looking forward to next issue.

Oh, FYI, it's "Black Bat," JewHobs. Not that that's any better than "Dark Bat." :o

I'm surprised about how much I'm enjoying Daken: Dark Wolverine. I know i'm in the minority but homicidal Superhero offspring like Daken, Damien Wayne, Jason Todd ect I find fun.

Ultimate Spider-Man 160 and Incredible Hulks 631 were all I read this week. Both were good. USM was great, actually.

I'm surprised about how much I'm enjoying Daken: Dark Wolverine. I know i'm in the minority but homicidal Superhero offspring like Daken, Damien Wayne, Jason Todd ect I find fun.

I've been enjoying it too. I haven't read any of Wolverine: Origins but I read Dark Avengers and liked him there. Then I found nearly all of the Dark Wolverine comics at Half Priced Books and ended up loving those, so I gave Daken: Dark Wolverine a try and have really enjoyed it. I love how he just screws with people... like when he gave Thing a peck on the cheek in the dark. Stuff like that is great.

I've been enjoying it too. I haven't read any of Wolverine: Origins but I read Dark Avengers and liked him there. Then I found nearly all of the Dark Wolverine comics at Half Priced Books and ended up loving those, so I gave Daken: Dark Wolverine a try and have really enjoyed it. I love how he just screws with people... like when he gave Thing a peck on the cheek in the dark. Stuff like that is great.
I like that Daken just straight up enjoys messing with people for the fun of it. His got daddy issues and grand villainous schemes but most all he just likes causing havok and mayhem not just to superheroes but to regular people off the street as well.

Got love a villain who is bad, knows it and enjoys it

Add me to the list of Daken fans. Although I wasn't thrilled about a scene shift from Madripoor to LA only 11 issues in (he went to Madripoor in issue 4), Daken DW #11 was pretty frigging good. I'm looking forward to another Daken/FF reunion down the road, especially between him and Johnny. I swear, they made it seem like Storm had feelings for Daken....it was pretty bold of them to imply that. Unfortunately, we have to wait for him to come back from the dead in order to revisit that.

This was a short, but not sweet, week. In all honesty for my list, it had one stand-out and three comics that were underwhelming in various ways. Spoilers ahead, let's get it over with.

DREAD'S BOUGHT/THOUGHT for 6/22/11:

CAPTAIN AMERICA #619: This comic actually offers an end of an era as well as a story that has been cut off at the knees by the annual crossover, FEAR ITSELF. Given that series writer Ed Brubaker, who has been on CAPTAIN AMERICA for over six years and counting and has driven the series to sales it hadn't seen in decades, it is an odd way for Marvel to repay him. For those not in the know, June kicked off with James "Bucky" Barnes being the sacrificial lamb for FEAR ITSELF #3 in a desperate attempt to make that lackluster story more "important". Thus, this conclusion to "GULAG" seems moot because the title character is already dead. July also sees this title relaunch with a fresh #1 and with Steve Rogers back behind the mantle for the first time in almost four years. This issue offers a 30 page story with the side installments featuring Black Widow and Rogers drawn by Chris Samnee, with the main sections drawn by Butch Guice, Stefano Gaudiano and Mitch Breitweiser - all of it is colored by Bettie Breitweiser, which gives it a consistent tone. While James Barnes had been revived from the dead and become the new Captain America, he had also once been the Soviet assassin the Winter Soldier, and one of his old KGB spooks had set up his entire Russian incarceration to get data on other sleeper agents out of his head. While Rogers and Nick Fury expose evidence of this being a set-up, but little else, Black Widow is willing to go rogue to rescue Barnes, who has become her lover. Forced to fight in some prison pit fights, Barnes exploits a battle with the original Unicorn to escape the joint.

The biggest problem with this story is that it doesn't seem like a proper conclusion. It feels like a story that has simply stopped, and is meant to bridge the gap to the next arc that isn't coming, because Barnes somehow got to Washington, D.C. and back in his Cap suit in FEAR ITSELF #3 so he could fill the role of "designated corpse". Barnes is a character who Brubaker seems to relate to and who has been key to his entire run on CAPTAIN AMERICA; he revived him as the Winter Soldier at the start of his run, and has evolved him into being the star of the book. Through sheer quality storytelling, Brubaker took a character killed off in a flashback by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby in the 60's who was considered one of the "only ones who stays dead" and turned him into a great character with endless potential. This arc seems to end with several panels that scream about it. While Brubaker will continue to write Barnes in another title - CAPTAIN AMERICA & BUCKY - it will be a flashback series set in the past. While Rogers becoming Capt. America again was always inevitable once he was revived from his own death scene, the Marvel Universe was still a place where Barnes still had a lot of new stories in him, either by Brubaker or someone else. This issue seems to symbolize what Marvel has been willing to extinguish for the sake of the lowest selling crossover event in half a decade which offers a pedestrian story to boot.

MYSTERY MEN #2: While it has become common for many of Marvel's many ongoing titles to "double ship" at times during one month (especially a month like June that technically has five Wednesdays), it is often rare for mini series that have nothing to do with Marvel's crossover du jour or some specific promotion. While the film "CAPTAIN AMERICA: THE FIRST AVENGER" is a period superhero piece set in WWII, this series seeks to delve into Marvel's era prior to that in 1932 - often considered a "lost period" for Marvel characters between the dozens of masked cowboys of the 19th century and the explosion of costumed vigilantes and heroes in the late 30's to early 40's. The first issue of this shipped on June 8th, and before the actual review of the issue came a very lengthy explanation about Marvel tempting a copyright lawsuit with this series. Much like June 8th, this is another "small week" for Marvel titles; however, this series by David Liss (BLACK PANTHER: MAN WITHOUT FEAR), artist Patrick Zircher and colorist Andy Troy is worthy of merit and mention regardless of that.

In last issue's review, it was noted how the lack of a female presence could be a hurdle for this pulp era team, but that such a thing could be avoided by the Sarah Starr character. It appears Liss has realized this and she turns out to be our third "Mystery Man", or at least masked vigilante, who has appeared within this series. Liss also reveals that every issue will be narrated by a different character, rather than have one offer the P.O.V. for the entire story. While Dennis Piper, the Operative, had a set up that spanned many pages in the debut, Sarah only gets one before the story hurries along to accomplish what it is set out to do in this installment. The second hero, the magician Revenant, also gets some exposition about him revealed - although much like a movie serial, his name (Ezekiel Wright) and mask-less face are shown in the recap page rather than in the story proper. All three have become embroiled in solving the mystery of "who killed actress Alice Starr", who was the sister of Sarah, the stage peer of Wright, and the fiancé of Piper. However, Piper is in no rush to have a "team up" with another hero - although whether this is because of his own preference for working alone or due to the fact that Wright is African American during the heart of the Jim Crow era is kept a bit ambiguous. Dismissed for the action due to being a woman, Sarah turns out to be a daredevil pilot as well as a scientist, and makes her first stride at surprising the masked men in the final page. All of the ties lead to "the General", the enforcer of a series of international bankers and tycoons called "the board", who are exploiting the Depression as well as future warfare for profits - who not only has demonic influences, but turns out to be closer to Piper than previously revealed. With the General basically having "bought" every cop in the city, the heroes have their work cut out for them.

Meanwhile, the General's quest for a mystical amulet which will better sustain his life has been absconded by his hired archeologist, professor Lewis Green. He gets scared off when one of the General's overzealous goons seeks to drive him back into town personally, and he's more occupied with seeing his girlfriend - who has moved on in the time he's been gone. According to solicits and the cover of the last issue, at least five vigilantes are set to be introduced here, and it is likely Lewis will be one of them - probably empowered by the amulet. Another upcoming character seems to be named "The Surgeon". Liss has been given the task of creating the first masked crimefighters of Marvel's 20th century, and he has been wise to keep them simple and deeply entrenched in the quirks of pulp novels - instead of gaudy and flashy characters (such as Paul Jenkins' Sentry or Kevin Grevioux's Blue Marvel).

Zircher's artwork is as great as always - he has often toiled on books that don't get too much recognition, such as his long run on THUNDERBOLTS. Troy's colors give the work a moody tone that works well for the Depression era caper, which is quite different from the bright super-heroics that Zircher has often drawn. The page layouts shift enough that some pages have four panels while others will have seven, often when a situation it meant to be tense (such as a fight or an interrogation sequence).

In conclusion, this was the cheapest book in the pull list for me, and it was also the best. It also is one of the rare books by Marvel or DC that, gasp, still offers 22 pages of story for $2.99 (how amazing the market has become when what was standard a year ago has already become a novelty). The shame of it is that this is perhaps the definition of a series that will get lost in the shuffle. It features a creative team that may be good at what they do, but don't have much recognition with mainstream readers. It is a period piece which introduces new characters, and launched in the middle of Marvel's FEAR ITSELF push (as well as DC's FLASHPOINT push). While the trade collection should be a handsome story, there is no reason why comic fans who like something smaller yet better from Marvel than crossover material or standard superhero fare shouldn't lap this up. MYSTERY MEN continues to be a pleasant surprise - which is rarer in terms of comics or general surprises than one would believe.

SECRET AVENGERS #14: Once upon a time, this title had a clear reason to exist. It essentially replaced MIGHTY AVENGERS as the 3rd Avengers title which featured a roster of established adult heroes. Perhaps it’s biggest reason to exist was that it was launched and written by Ed Brubaker, who has become one of Marvel’s top tier writers with his work on CAPTAIN AMERICA these past six-plus years (as well as a stint on UNCANNY X-MEN, and CRIMINAL over at the Icon imprint). Having a space franchise title solely to give a “hot” creative team something to play with makes sense. The dilemma has come now that Brubaker decided to call it a run after twelve issues (in which he left his series’ central subplot open ended). In many ways, the dilemma of SECRET AVENGERS mirrors that of ASTONISHING X-MEN. After Grant Morrison left (NEW) X-MEN and Marvel set about removing his stories from relevance root and stem, they needed another equally hot creative team to launch their own X-Book. Thus, they got Joss Whedon and John Cassaday to handle ASTONISHING X-MEN. Issues soon took ages to ship, and the stories were all over-long, but they sold very well. However, after 25 issues (across four years), Whedon and Cassaday called it a run. Marvel could have merely ended the comic, since it’s reason to exist was over…but when has Marvel let artistic integrity, and not sales, cloud their judgment? Thus, ASTONISHING X-MEN began to exist as a book apart from both continuity and more “important” X-Men books being written by whatever writer fancied wanting to play alone with toys in a sandbox – Warren Ellis being one, and Daniel Way another. And while the series sells well enough to be profitable, it exists only for completists who can’t get enough X-Men action that they need a spare title that offers fun adventures with little context or connection as to what UNCANNY X-MEN or the other X-Books are doing. Such a fate has befallen SECRET AVENGERS since the end of the Brubaker era.

Nick Spencer, fresh off acclaim on Image’s MORNING GLORIES, has been tasked to do a thankless drive-by of a run. He has been tasked to write the three issues that cross over into the FEAR ITSELF event – apparently because no other writer, such as the incoming Warren Ellis, could be bothered – as well as the .1 issue, which is an annual under a new gimmick. With only four issues, Spencer cannot do anything major to any character; he can’t change the roster or explore anything vital or important. Furthermore, the problem with crossover tie-in issues is that nothing really “important” can happen there, because the “important” story beats occur in the core mini series (or the tie-in’s written by the same writer as the event mini series). Thus, SECRET AVENGERS has to fill three months worth of comics in which absolutely nothing important or lasting can be accomplished. When one factors in that even Warren Ellis, the next writer coming in, has only committed to a six issue run, one easily gets the feeling that Marvel have no clue what to do with this book or what purpose it serves without Brubaker, save to charge their audience $3.99 for another Avengers book they probably don’t need.

The .1 issue had Spencer offer an interesting Marvel version of the WikiLeaks scandal, which remains the peak of his “run” thus far. SECRET AVENGERS #13 offered some cool visuals, but devolved into preachy nonsense with Beast finding an old friend in Congress who was never seen before or since. This issue, as the cover suggests, is a Valkyrie story. In her, Spencer has a character who does not appear in other books nor is very high up the popularity totem pole – as in, a character he could play with if this wasn’t his penultimate issue. Given that James “Bucky/New Cap” Barnes died in FEAR ITSELF #3, and Valkyrie’s task is bringing the honored dead to Valhalla, I imagined a story which dealt with that. Sadly, the issue I imagined was far better than the issue that I have paid for, that Spencer and artist Scott Eaton (alongside colorist Frank D’Armata and two inkers) have crafted. Valkyrie is the lead character in the story by virtue of appearing in 15 out of 22 pages – even if many of those page appearances are only one or two panels, mostly silent. The story focuses on two soldiers, Stevens and Hayes, who are a “battle couple” despite army regulations against that sort of thing (even for heterosexual couples like them). They, along with their entire squad, are tasked with fighting Sin’s giant Neo-Nazi mecha to defend Washington, D.C. and Philadelphia with Valkyrie as their Avenger back-up. When Stevens sacrifices his life so Hayes can live, Valkyrie has a flashback to her own past when something similar happened, and is forced to help Hayes stand tall.

This issue offers an origin for Valkyrie that is like no origin she has previously received. In fact it runs so counter to her original beginning that the only amusement it offers is imagining how the poor writers of the Marvel Handbook will figure a way to reconcile it into a Biography update. Will they blame it on Thor reviving her (and the other Asgardians) from their deaths from the last Ragnarok and thus origins changed? Will it be blamed on unseen mental influence by “the Serpent”? Will Valkyrie merely be “confused”? Or will it be omitted entirely as a gaffe? About all it gets right is Odin chooses Brunnhilde to lead his Valkyrie and that’s about it. That’s akin to rewroting Batman’s origin as Bruce Wayne’s parents being killed by a stray bullet from a cop’s gun while leaving a circus and believing it was the same because his parents still died in front of him.

Thus, this issue offers a story that doesn’t matter, in a run that doesn’t matter, and an origin that barely matters. For $3.99.

If ever a comic screamed at the fans to not buy it, it’s SECRET AVENGERS lately. Spencer’s run wraps up next issue, which is advertised as “Black Widow mourns”. This ideally should mean for Barnes, since they were lovers. But given how utterly pointless these last two issues were, I would not be surprised if Spencer wrote in some aimless retcon about Natasha having a pet gerbil in Russia back when she was twelve and it is for that she is mourning, not for anything noteworthy or important. That’s how little I trust this title. Those who wish to give Ellis’ run a try should think twice. SECRET AVENGERS is a title without a cause, which a bad thing to be for $4 an issue. There are better Avengers titles out there. The horrid irony is that even when Brubaker was on this title, it was hardly the best thing on the stands. The worst issue of AVENGERS ACADEMY is miles ahead of the best issue of this series.

If one wants a better Valkyrie story from recent times, steer clear of this issue and try to find that “Women Of Marvel” VALKYRIE one shot from last year. SECRET AVENGERS #14 is a dud, and the entire run thus far has ranged from disappointing to mediocre. Run while you still can!

THUNDERBOLTS #159: For some reason known only to editor Tom Brennan, this issue offers 40 pages of story by different creative teams, packaged for $4.99. One would have thought this sort of thing would be saved for an annual, or another high round numbered issue (such as next month's 160th issue). Perhaps to exploit it's tie-in to FEAR ITSELF, which may not boost sales for any crossover title much at all? At any rate, this is an anthology issue that offers several side stories that all take place under the same general time - the T-Bolts' attempt to salvage what is left of the Raft prison after it was destroyed by the Juggernaut. The lead story is written by regular writer Jeff Parker and drawn by frequent fill-in artist Declan Shalvey (and colored by Frank Martin). It is a twelve issue story, which suggests this was done because the lead artists were behind, so rather than skip a month, they got other creators involved. The lead story is called "Underbolts" and focuses on the "beta" squad of Thunderbolts who have been recruited prior to the Raft tragedy - Centurius, Shocker, Mr. Hyde, and Boomerang. With squad leaders Songbird and Fixer/Techno occupied, and Moonstone, Ghost, and Troll being more loyal members, the "beta" team seek to complete their mission of rescue and contain until they reach the main lab, where a decision has to be made about whether to find a way to undo the nanobots in their blood to escape, and how to do so. Joe Caramagna and Valentine De Landro helm a Moonstone story, "Group Therapy", which sees her run into the full women's ward, where the lady villains seem to have their own plans than returning to their cells. Jen Van Meter and Eric Canete handle "The Ghost & Mr. Walker" in which Ghost runs into the current warden and former U.S. Agent, John Walker, on a quest to save the lives of inmates and personel trapped in one section of the Raft which showcases that Walker is both hardcore as well as passionate about the theory of rehabilitation. The final tale is by Frank Tieri and Matthew Southworth essentially details how Crossbones escaped the Raft to later appear in FEAR ITSELF: YOUTH IN REVOLT #2. While the lead story is interesting, the secondary stories achieve the middle ground of neither being exceptional nor bad. Unlike MYSTERY MEN, it was a surprise to get an extra sized (and priced) issue, while the result was not as pleasant.

Last edited:
This is twice now a Cap story by Brubaker has been "cut off at the knees" like Dread described. The first time was Steve Rogers appearing in Bendis' Dark Avengers annual before his return in Reborn. Now Fraction's Fear Itself played spoiler to Gulag. So Brubaker and everybody can say that they're all best friends holding hands and skipping through a dandelion field but if that was done to me at my job, I'd be f**king pissed.

While I haven't read Secret Avengers yet, judging by the reviews, it's not pretty. I'm not very excited for Ellis who doesn't seem to put a great effort behind his work anymore. His recent stint on Astonishing X-Men was poor to say the least. Sales are going to take a hit now that Brubaker is gone and without a solid direction it's just going to keep heading south in the top 100. I wouldn't be shocked if this book along with Avengers Academy get cancelled/relaunched at the same time. That will make it 2 Avengers books not by Bendis that face the potential axe. Score one more for the comic fans with horrible taste.:doh:

This is twice now a Cap story by Brubaker has been "cut off at the knees" like Dread described. The first time was Steve Rogers appearing in Bendis' Dark Avengers annual before his return in Reborn. Now Fraction's Fear Itself played spoiler to Gulag. So Brubaker and everybody can say that they're all best friends holding hands and skipping through a dandelion field but if that was done to me at my job, I'd be f**king pissed.

Fraction was interviewed by CBR and noted that he communicates with Brubaker and that he had Bru's blessing. Now, this is probably true because Fraction and Brubaker did collaborate on IMMORTAL IRON FIST for about 17 issues or so. However, the facts are that absolutely no writer working for the Big Two would respond in any different way. You would never hear a writer respond like, "I decided it had to happen and the editors had my back, not Brubabker's, and it was on him to adapt" or "I don't give two ****'s what ______ is doing". Such a writer would be fired on the spot and unlikely to be hired at Marvel or DC again for ages.

Now, I'm not trying to say Fraction is a callous bastard; in the end, editorial is where anything he does is supported. They are the ones who are aware of what Brubaker has done for Marvel and Bucky and decided it was in their best interest to kill him off in FEAR ITSELF and leave Brubaker to finish with a moot issue. Fraction's story is lifeless and limp, and without a few designated corpses would merely be an episode of SUPERFRIENDS, only played straight and with less imagination.

The way stories are submitted in advance, there was little way Brubaker could edit his tale. Still, it comes off as an ending by arbitration, not by design. While he does write Rogers very well, I know he put a lot of his heart and soul into Barnes. Whether as Bucky, Winter Soldier, Barnes or New Cap, the character has been a part of his run on CAPTAIN AMERICA since he started. Even with a side flashback book, it can't be easy adjusting without him - which is likely why, according to solicitations for the relaunch of CAPTAIN AMERICA, Brubaker is resorting to old tricks like WWII flashbacks, retcons, and a Cap impostor.

That said, Brubaker left SECRET AVENGERS with an ending that didn't feel like an ending. Steve Rogers convinces John Steel to turn against the Shadow Council and join him in fighting them...the end. I don't expect anyone else to make headway with that subplot unless Brubaker himself picks up on it in CAPTAIN AMERICA - which he may. He's struggled on team books. "STEVE ROGERS AND HIS AVENGING FRIENDS" is not a team book, although that'd be fine for CAPTAIN AMERICA.

While I haven't read Secret Avengers yet, judging by the reviews, it's not pretty. I'm not very excited for Ellis who doesn't seem to put a great effort behind his work anymore. His recent stint on Astonishing X-Men was poor to say the least. Sales are going to take a hit now that Brubaker is gone and without a solid direction it's just going to keep heading south in the top 100. I wouldn't be shocked if this book along with Avengers Academy get cancelled/relaunched at the same time. That will make it 2 Avengers books not by Bendis that face the potential axe. Score one more for the comic fans with horrible taste.:doh:

I had a chance to dump this book with issue #13, and I should have taken it. I will finish Spencer's run, if only because he's a newer, younger writer who could develop with more work. I won't hang on for Ellis. The best I can hope for is that issue #15 is decent and that I can say half of Spencer's run was "okay". But "okay" ain't enough for $3.99.

Right now SECRET AVENGERS is the definition of a useless comic. The stories don't matter and most of the characters appear in other titles that matter more - even War Machine for the moment. However, Marvel will never can a book just for dignity, they'll wait until sales are in cancellation range. Technically only Ant-Man and Valkyrie are characters who appear exclusively in this title, and nothing has been done with either.

As for sales "taking a hit without Brubaker", the numbers are interesting on that. Brubaker's final issue was #12, which shipped in April and sold 50,641 copies. Now, Spencer's .1 issue sold at just over 46k - but since retailers ordered the .1 issues as annuals, that isn't surprising or disappointing; for an annual, that's a solid number compared to an actual issue. Spencer's first "official" issue was #13 in May, which was also billed as a FEAR ITSELF tie in. It sold 51,936 copies. Thus, not only is it about 1300 copies MORE than Brubaker's final issue, it actually is the best selling issue of SA since issue #8, that shipped in December. Even in a weak comic market, SECRET AVENGERS is sliding down the charts, even with Brubaker on it. Issue #1 in May 2010 sold over 110k - albeit that includes reprints. Thus, Brubaker's last issue had more than half of those readers gone. Originally a Top 10 book, it barely hangs onto the Top 20 these days. It still has a long way to go before cancellation is a factor, and regardless of quality or purpose I'd give it 3 years just on sales alone, unless things get REALLY drastic on Ellis.

The question is whether the sales spike for Spencer's first issue is because of him, or FEAR ITSELF, or a little of both, or a variant cover for that issue? At any rate, when a crossover can't even produce a sales spike of at least 2,000 copies for a Top 20 seller, that spells a bit of doom for other, lower tier crossovers. As much as I and Christos Gage would like to believe more people jumped on AVENGERS ACADEMY for FEAR ITSELF, that may not pan out to much of a boost. A variant cover can easily boost sales for some books by 1500 copies or so, at least for a month if the cover is popular ("Wolverine In Ballet" Theme or whatever). FEAR ITSELF is the lowest selling Marvel crossover in years as a core title; SIEGE, which was a "smaller" event, sold above 100k for it's entire run. FEAR ITSELF was below that with issue #2. Reprints may ease that, but it still is a step down from 2010.

The problem is the same old tricks aren't working anymore, and that's all Marvel, or DC, know.

Hey, Dread, I bought Mystery Men cus of your first review. I'm really surprised by the series. I was going to skip it for the fact that David wrote the Black Panther so poorly and thought his bad writing would carry over into this series too. Man, was I surprised.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say he isn't suited for superhero books that step out of events after WW2. Marvel, whenever they have a pulp character, or try Noir again should let him handle it. Heck, if Bendis weren't on Moon Knight I'd say he could handle the character. Possibly even DD whenever they return him to being grimdark once Waid's gone.

Unlike Avengers: The Initiative, I kind of don't see Avengers Academy making it to a second class of students. It's ranged from good to great throughout its entire run, but it's definitely not hitting the kind of numbers Marvel seems to want for anything with "Avengers" in the title. Hopefully Pym, at least, will land on his feet someplace good.

I think that if Avengers Academy is cancelled, they'll move Pym over to the main Avengers book.

The biggest problem with this story is that it doesn't seem like a proper conclusion. It feels like a story that has simply stopped, and is meant to bridge the gap to the next arc that isn't coming, because Barnes somehow got to Washington, D.C. and back in his Cap suit in FEAR ITSELF #3 so he could fill the role of "designated corpse". Barnes is a character who Brubaker seems to relate to and who has been key to his entire run on CAPTAIN AMERICA; he revived him as the Winter Soldier at the start of his run, and has evolved him into being the star of the book. Through sheer quality storytelling, Brubaker took a character killed off in a flashback by Stan Lee and Jack Kirby in the 60's who was considered one of the "only ones who stays dead" and turned him into a great character with endless potential. This arc seems to end with several panels that scream about it. While Brubaker will continue to write Barnes in another title - CAPTAIN AMERICA & BUCKY - it will be a flashback series set in the past. While Rogers becoming Capt. America again was always inevitable once he was revived from his own death scene, the Marvel Universe was still a place where Barnes still had a lot of new stories in him, either by Brubaker or someone else. This issue seems to symbolize what Marvel has been willing to extinguish for the sake of the lowest selling crossover event in half a decade which offers a pedestrian story to boot.
Do you really think this is the end? Seriously, from the way that issue concludes?

Brubaker was not sideswiped by Fear Itself. He helped plan it and wrote the prologue. No way Bucky is permanently dead.

Well, yeah, you'd think that'd be self-evident at this point. No one stays dead.

Do you really think this is the end? Seriously, from the way that issue concludes?

Brubaker was not sideswiped by Fear Itself. He helped plan it and wrote the prologue. No way Bucky is permanently dead.

Well, yeah, you'd think that'd be self-evident at this point. No one stays dead.

I know that. But Marvel is very much promoting FEAR ITSELF #3 as Barnes' death scene, which unlike the first time was on panel (Stan Lee retconned it in the 60's, because he disliked sidekicks, aside for Rick Jones). At the very least it means Brubaker has to allow Barnes to be dead a designated period of time - 1-3 years I'd imagine - and then have to come up with a completely implausible method of reversing the death.

I mean, no "time bullets" will cut it this time. Sin pummeled him to death with a magic hammer on screen. Hard to deny he died that time. Will he just be in "a really deep cybernetic coma"?

Very few resurrections have the balls to say someone actually died and came back - they often seek to undo the death itself. Even with Rogers. I'm dreading that story. It's obligation and exposition before Brubaker can carry on with wherever he was going.

Of course, if it meant more WWII flashbacks/retcons, and more Cap impostors...

Last edited:
Asgardian magic killed him. Maybe Odin just patches him up after all's said and done. "Valkyrie, go to Valhalla and fetch that fellow with the star on his chest. Yes, I know he just died like yesterday, but these mortals seem to like him and they did just save us from the Serpent after I turned tail and ran like a giant, Santa-Claus-bearded *****. Guess I owe 'em something."

Asgardian magic killed him. Maybe Odin just patches him up after all's said and done. "Valkyrie, go to Valhalla and fetch that fellow with the star on his chest. Yes, I know he just died like yesterday, but these mortals seem to like him and they did just save us from the Serpent after I turned tail and ran like a giant, Santa-Claus-bearded *****. Guess I owe 'em something."

That'd be fine. No end of characters could be revived via godly intervention or the underworld. The dilemma is, and I'm dead serious, writers over think this ****. They'd feel it's too simple. Which is a shame; if you're going to that end anyway, there's nothing wrong with getting to the point. Not everything has to be a 7 part quest.

Take Capt. Britain's resurrection in MI-13. Via magic stuff, all the British flags fly off their flagpoles and somehow reform Braddock's body. It's perhaps the most ridiculously stupid resurrection ever put to comics. But that's what made it cool. The death wasn't denied, it didn't take 7-17 issues and a crossover to make it happen, no clones, no time bullets, no healing in Europe, nothing. Bibbity-Britishy-Boop, let's just get it done. It even got bonus points for not being played for comedy despite still being a bit absurd, and working on that level.

Plus, as much as some people say Whedon's ASTONISHING X-MEN was overrated, I'll always say that Whedon didn't over think how he was going to revive Colossus. He had aliens swap out his corpse, sure, but the Russkie was still dead. They just had an alien machine that revived him with a zap. There, done. Simple.

Plus, CHAOS WAR was used as an excuse to revive most of Alpha Flight. Hell, NOVA used a breach in space/time to bring Namorita back (a subplot nobody's ran with).

Actually, there was an INCREDIBLE HULK story in the 70's I think in which the aliens of the month actually kill Bruce Banner, but use some machine to revive him because rigor hadn't set in, or something. Sure, it was all one story, and I wish I recalled the issue number, but it's another example of a time when it wasn't overthought.

I suppose people might say, "If a resurrection is no big thing, then a death is meaningless." My response is that it's too late, comics are already there due to over-use of that. Maybe if resurrections started happening faster and easier, writers would think a little and only use a death scene when it really mattered. A death scene for a character should be more than a stage obligation. It should be more than simply making a hum-drum annual "event" matter, and more than a writer wanting a notch on a belt. But so long as it isn't, let's not make the reverse more complicated and dragged out than it has to be.

CAPTAIN AMERICA & BUCKY is set in flashback, and there'd be no purpose to that if Barnes didn't stay dead a bit, I'd say at least a year or so. Whatever segments are set in the present could link up towards some Revival Maguffin anyway. "Back in WWII, we found this magic jug that can heal a dead person, but this needs to be revealed in a 24 chapter flashback story with all sorts of aimless distractions to get there." :dry:

Hey, Dread, I bought Mystery Men cus of your first review. I'm really surprised by the series. I was going to skip it for the fact that David wrote the Black Panther so poorly and thought his bad writing would carry over into this series too. Man, was I surprised.

I'm going to take a wild guess and say he isn't suited for superhero books that step out of events after WW2. Marvel, whenever they have a pulp character, or try Noir again should let him handle it. Heck, if Bendis weren't on Moon Knight I'd say he could handle the character. Possibly even DD whenever they return him to being grimdark once Waid's gone.

In fairness to Liss, he was a novelist before he started writing for Marvel, like a few of their writers such as Charlie Huston (who wrote the 2006 relaunch of MOON KNIGHT and is on WOLVERINE: THE BEST THERE IS now). Thus, he likely isn't as experienced with writing comics as others. That said, BLACK PANTHER is saddled with an awkward premise, while MYSTERY MEN isn't.

That said, certain writers are better for certain genres, such as pulp or so on, than others. For instance, Bendis is far stronger on solo hero books and crime procedure stories than on team superheroics - yet Marvel has demanded he headline the Avengers franchise for about 7 years now.

Glad you gave MYSTERY MEN a chance. While it's easy to "wait for the trade" on a 5 issue mini series, it has been the highlight of my week for both weeks it shipped in June, thus far.

I think that if Avengers Academy is cancelled, they'll move Pym over to the main Avengers book.
I would love that. Be cool to see Pym back with Cap, Iron Man, Thor and Hawkeye like the old days.

I think one problem people have these days is they think if you have Hank Pym and Tony Stark on the same team its one too many geniuses or something. Even though I would say they are different as Starks more an Engineer and Pyms more a scientist,

Oddly enough, I always thought of Pym as the smarter supergenius of the two until recently, when we started getting bits and pieces about this inferiority complex Pym has toward Stark. I mean, Stark builds impressive suits of armor and knows his way around software and such, but Pym seemed to have done just as well (if not better) in several other fields--physics, biology, chemistry, etc.

I thought that as well. I always thought Pym was more skilled in a wider variety of sciences than Tony.

Not to sound like a Hank Pym apologist as well but its also random that people blame him for Ultron its not like Hank deliberately created him or knew he would be a killer robot. Pym did make a killer robot to attack the avengers when he was all crazy but it wasn't Ultron it was another robot.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"