Bought/Thought for Dec. 22 - SPOILERS!!!

Phaedrus45

Avenger
Reaction score
From Dread on 6/17/2006:

Frankly, I think Slott would be able to make the dreaded "formula", which is almost a curseword in today's "events sell books" environment, and remind everyone of why we all grew to love Spider-Man. He'd infuse it with humor and heart, and not be as afraid of the conventions of Spidey or Marvel superheroes as many writers who are so willing to "shock" us with an unmasking, a rape, a death, etc. I'd almost be willing to pay $3.99 an issue if it meant Slott on a core Spider-title.

Both Kirkman and Vaughan are goor writers, and have written some good Spider-Man stuff when they've had to (MTU, RUNAWAYS, respectively), but out of the 3, my wish would be Slott.

This week was FILLED with tons of talk about Civil War #2, especially Spidey's unmasking.

Onto this week's issues.

Fantastic Four #586

Next issue, somebody dies!!! (Well, they say "casualty"...so, I'm assuming it means death.) This issue, though, we get more of the same, as Hickman does his usual slow build to everything that he's been writing the past year or so. Galactus vows to destroy Nu-World (won't miss it!), Annihilus gains entrance to the Baxter Building (finally!), and Sue learns why Namor killed King Ul-Ular (I really don't care!). A good issue...but, it's all biding our time until the next double-sized one. :yay:

Dynamo 5: Holiday Special 2010

I was afraid this issue might be like other Specials I've read in the past...but, thankfully, Faerber just uses this opportunity to continue where his previous mini left off and just linking a small Christmas theme into it. The best part (or, maybe something that could peeve off a few people) is we get a small hint of things to come with five short epilogues at the end of this issue...and, with a promise of another mini in mid-2011.

At first, I thought, WHAT??!!?? I gotta wait about 6 months??!!!?? But, that's better than having to deal with issue delays. :yay:

The Sixth Gun #7

A new storyline starts, as the group tries to decide what to do after defeating General Hume. This has been a surprise enjoyment for me in 2010, and I'm glad it's continuing on after the first storyline finished. :yay:

28 Days Later #18

Captain Stiles is hot on Clint and Selena's tail..and, just when they think they've reach safety and a quick way into London, he shows up and the hunt begins again. We still don't know why he has such a hard-on for Selena; but, the dude means business. About my only problem with this title is that it's starting to go the way of Walking Dead, by having the living being more of a focus than the dead. :yay:

So far, nothing bad that I've read; but, I'm early into it...and, I have been picking books that I know I'll like right off the bat.

I must say I was real apprehensive about this Batman Inc deal. I mean Bruce Wayne funding a Batman Corporation to fight crime around the world is a little bit ridiculous. So I pick up issue one and it was a good read and the art flowed with the story so I decide to read issue two. I have to admit after two issues I am really digging this book. I mean how do you stop a villian that can't be killed (Lord Death Man-cool name by the way) and who protects the city while you're gone (Japanese Batman of course). I just hope when they set up these guys in these new locales they return to see there progress and how they have improved the mantle of the Bat. The only thing that doesn't sit with me well concerning this storyline is the multiple Batmen around the world (don't get me wrong, I love the book). It's kind of like Bruce is taking on crime by himself and on his terms becoming the world's savior by policing it a la Kingdom Come. I can see this as being the beginning of a potential plot twist that will affect the entire DC universe at some point and time. Also wouldn't mind seeing more of the green haired aqua-chick to see what she's capable of.

Getting my comics today instead of over the weekend!!! I might even get some extra stuff because I won $100 at my work union christmas party last night :)

Invincible Iron Man #33

Finally, the conclusion to Stark Resilient...and, after nine issues (something I really hope doesn't continue in the future with Iron Man...we really should have more than 1 1/3 stories in a given year)..with the action picking up quite nicely in the past two...this one ends in a whimper. While Tony's chased throughout Seattle in his new Resilient car and Pepper is holding on for dear life for her armor to come back online, every thing ends suddenly with Hammer agreeing to stop trying to kill Stark, all because one military guy tells them to. It's all meant to build up to the next storyline, I guess; as, The Mandarin, Hammer, and Ezekial Stane all team-up to eventually try and take down Tony Stark. That DOES grab my interest; but, I dread having to sit through nine issues to get to the conclusion. :dry:

Ultimate Spider-Man #151

Lots of Bendis dialogue in this issue; but, we do get some decent action involving Mysterio (supposedly) killing The Kingpin, while Black Cat tries to recover something VERY important to her in Kingpin's vault. (What that is remains a mystery by issue's end; but, Mysterio finds out.) Other things happen, most notably Gwen coming back to the Parker residence; but, the BEST NEWS is we FINALLY have a new artist on this title. For that reason alone, I give this issue a :yay:!

Ultimate Doom #1

I wonder how many people pick up these Ultimate minis, unaware that they are continuations of other minis that have come before. This one is the third (and, I believe final) chapter in this storyline...and, there isn't a whole lot of dialogue beyond a bunch of "aagghh"s, "um"s, and "Daaaa!"s. It turns out Reed (the supposed bad guy) is a bit miffed about Sue dumping him; and, he takes that anger out by trying to destroy various institutes and people along the way. By issue's end, Sue is dead (again, supposedly...but, I'm sure she'll get a pulse in the next issue), and Jessica (Spider-Woman) learns that Roxxon is being controlled by Doc Ock.

Not a bad issue. It does have it's faults, but it is also keeping me entertained. :yay:

Green Lantern: Larfleeze Christmas Special One-Shot

How disappointing! I was so looking forward to this issue, especially as Larfleeze is becoming one of my favorite of the new colored Lanterns; but, there really isn't much in this 16-page story. (Included are 3 Larfleeze one-page activities, such as a maze or cookie recipe, a 2-page comical adventure with Glomulus, and a 1-page DC Happy Holidays poster.) For $3.99, you don't get much. Also, do NOT let small children read this comic, as Hal Jordon tells Larfleeze the truth about the jolly old man who delivers presents around the world. (Yep, Hal is a tool!)

The idea for this comic was brilliant; but, the execution feels phoned-in..and highly over-priced! :dry:

Stan Lee's The Traveler #2

With Waid writing, I thought this book would be much, much better. And, in hoping the second issue would make me like this comic more, I was terribly wrong. In fact, I probably like it even less. We still have more questions than answers, as The Traveler can travel through time...along with his enemies...and, stop things from occurring or letting them still happen with tons of interference from his enemies. We don't know who he is (although, we get a few clues this issue)...and, there isn't a character I've met that I'm really interested in. Also, at one point we get a character who looks quite a bit like Stan Lee...and, that just took me out of the book even more.

Skip this book, and check out Stan Lee's Soldier Zero instead. :csad:

Morning Glories #5

This comic loves to brag "Every issue has sold out and gone into MULTIPLE PRINTINGS;" but, besides me, I don't know anyone else who's reading it. Much of the book will remind you of others that have come before (i.e. Gen 13), where a group of teens are brought together for some mysterious reason by a group of people...and, the teens have no idea what they've gotten themselves into. (These believe they're at some type of boarding school.) I'm still pretty clueless about what this school is about; but, I'm interested enough to keep coming back.

The worst thing about the book is that the various teens aren't really even likeable. Besides being stereotypes of the type of teen they are playing, there isn't much depth to them. For this reason, even though I'm enjoying it well enough, I wouldn't recommend it to others. A mild...VERY MILD...:yay:

X-Men #6

Let me just say off the bat that this issue might have the WORST looking Blade I've ever seen!!! He looks more like a tall version of Puck than any version of Blade I've ever seen.

Ok, got that off my chest.

Now, onto the finale of Curse Of The Mutants. I LOVED this storyline when it first started; but, the last three issues really began to peter out for me. This conclusion is rather predictable...and, also disappointing. About the only thing that truly interested me was having Jubilee finally be a character I want to read more of in the future. I'm almost sorry that I highly recommended this title, after reading the first couple issues. It almost feels like we've been duped into believe there was hope for the X-titles. :dry:

Well, with 11 books rated so far, I do not have one that has really blown me away to call it the Best Of The Week. The Worst (so far) is definitely The Traveler. The best, so far, would probably be Dynamo 5.

I read Morning Glories #1, and quite liked it, but rather than tantalising me and making me feel more excited to be on the bandwagon, Morning Glories #2 instantly selling out and being impossible to find - even in reprint form - just put me off buying the book anymore.

I will have Phaedrus know... hell has frozen over. I'll see if he can guess why before I reveal it tonight or tomorrow.

Four years later, I AM paying $3.99 to read Dan Slott on a core Spidey title, and guess what, it's good! :up:

Days before Christmas, and there are a bundle of comics under the tree. How'd they fare this season? Spoilers as always; whether as gifts or coal depends on your opinion of them.

Dread's Bought/Thought for 12/22/10:

DYNAMO 5: HOLIDAY SPECIAL 2010 #1:
Jay Faerber's latest, and perhaps his best, Image superhero title to date checks in for the first time since the end of October with a one-shot issue set around the holiday season. The inability to release it in a timely fashion as a monthly ongoing series, not low sales, are what have caused this title to shift into an annual mini series format (much as HELLBOY and B.R.P.D. at Dark Horse do, or Bomb Queen does at Image). This is the sixth issue within seven months, which was a better issue to month ratio than issues #18-#25 of the ongoing series. Unfortunately, that means a lengthy gap of half a year before the next installment of the series, which likely does not aid in monthly issue sales. Hopefully those trades move at a brisker pace. At any rate, despite the title, this series is really just another issue of DYNAMO 5, where the holiday and what the characters do for it is a subplot but in no way does it overwhelm the plot. In fact, one of the epilogues even mocks some clichés of "holiday comic stories". It offers a done-in-one lead story as well as four 2-page strips that offer teases into the story line to come in 2011.

Art for the lead story is done by Marco Takara, with colors by the regular colorist, Ron Riley. It starts off with a basic Dynamo 5 story, of the sort they actually haven't had for quite some time. It seems that one of their father Captain Dynamo's old enemies has escaped from prison, and since he's dead, it is up to them to take the baddie down and save Tower City. It also is the start of the holiday season, and the step-siblings are all trying to plan what they want to do around their superhero mission. This also takes place right after the end of SINS OF THE FATHER, so there are still subplots and aftermath from that series to deal with. Spencer, who is half-alien and can no longer pose as a human, is still dealing with that state and being unable to do much in society anymore. Gage, the former telepath turned flier, is dating a reformed super-villain, "War Chest". And one of the Five had to make the ultimate decision in SINS OF THE FATHER, which has the others wary. Fortunately, Faerber's script has a slight twist on the formula in the last act and a resolution that doesn't involve a mindless brawl. The story does end with a light hearted moment that most readers will see coming a few pages in, but that doesn't mean it isn't executed efficiently. The costume design for the villain is interesting, in that it avoids the clichés of most villains having green/purple hues.

I thought this was an effective one-shot. With 28 pages of material it offered more for the price tag than quite a few $3.99 Marvel comics I could mention, or even bought this week. SINS OF THE FATHER was a very epic mini series but in some ways it was similar to territory that INVINCIBLE usually does; defend the planet from some impossibly powerful alien(s) with issues devoted to pure combat. While it's perfectly fine for the D5 to do that, and no coincidence that Invincible tagged in, it is nice to get a simpler story once in a while between those sagas that keeps things basic while also offering the stuff that the franchise does so well. The only frustrating thing I guess is looking at numbers and seeing this series rarely meet the Top 300, least this year. I mean, is this series REALLY worse than a lot of spare GREEN HORNET material? Come on, now. This issue, Faerber posted the lone letter he got during the SINS OF THE FATHER series. Maybe I should try sending in some letters; I might actually get published in this or some other Image books.

The back-up material is drawn by different artists, such as co-creator Mahmud Asrar (who also drew the cover), Billy Penn, Andres Ponce, Julio Brilha and Karim Whalen. It all sets up tantalizing details that will be explored in the next mini series, titled CERTAIN DEATH, which will also be drawn by Brilha, who drew SINS OF THE FATHER. The wait between sagas can be agonizing, but it is satisfying to get issues regularly when the creative team is ready to do so. As always, this remains a much under appreciated superhero franchise by fans, who often buy worse material in droves. The trade of these last issues should be out before the next arc begins, and with Faerber himself selling the first four trades of D5 for half price via his email ([email protected]), now is the best time to hop aboard. At the very least, reading D5 is almost like being in a sort of club, knowing that maybe 3,000 or less of us are buying it monthly (I have no clue how the trades sell, but so long as they remain in print they can sell forever).

HAUNT #12: This issue concludes not only the first year of this title’s life, but the completion of it’s second major arc (not including a stand alone story between the first and second arcs). As of last month’s official sales reports, this is currently the 3rd best seller at Image Comics; behind WALKING DEAD and INVINCIBLE. The one thing it has in common with all of those is writer/co-creator Robert Kirkman, who has a successful TV adaptation of his work at his back now. As a link to Image’s old guard, it retains Image founder Todd McFarlane, co-creator, co-inker and letter column responder for the series (whose signature creation, SPAWN, is set to celebrate a 200th issue). Also involved as the regular creative team these days are Greg Capullo as penciler (a SPAWN regular who took over for INVINCIBLE’s Ryan Ottley with issue six, although he’d been helping McFarlane on inks before that), colors by FCO Plascenia and inks by Jonathon Glapion. Even though it is only a year old, that alone is longer than many new launches at Marvel have lasted; every issue, including the first, was also priced at $2.99 (another rarity).

In this issue, Daniel Kilgore (the ex-priest who can merge with the soul of his dead secret agent brother Kurt to become a being with a supernatural costume and powers), as “Agent Haunt”, completes his first mission for his local spy agency by successfully apprehending the organized criminal mastermind Hurg as well as his current buyers and associates. The mission that cost Kurt his life, which involved experimentations to create horrific super-soldier monsters, is also resolved. Kurt’s life, as bizarre and violent as it has become, has actually reached a high point from where he started in issue one. He’s now a trained agent, he has a girlfriend, he’s moving into a new place with another worker for the spy agency, and he has even reconciled with his brother. Who says that death keeps a family apart?

Naturally, the good times can’t last. Haunt still has at least one old enemy on the loose, and another seems to arise at the end of this issue. Unlike the others, this new foe may not hail from the world of black ops, where Kurt has experience. That is the best way to end an arc or even a first year of a series; a finale that feels like a finale, while leaving plenty of loose ends or new ideas for the next arc and year. The artwork may remind fans of 1990’s Image to a degree, but the writing quality from Robert Kirkman is more in line with the 21st century, especially as these recent issues have more of his sense of humor than in the first arc. While Haunt is different from INVINCIBLE or GUARDING THE GLOBE, it isn’t as humorless as many of Image’s 90’s products (which include SPAWN), which is a good thing. The dynamic between Daniel and Kurt is also very good, and despite the supernatural tones many of their interactions have felt “real”, packed with emotion or situations that manage to boil things down to human elements everyone can understand and relate to. We have all had a relative we may not have gotten along with at first.

A year in and the tag line that I have always used for this is, “it is SPAWN if done by Robert Kirkman”, but it still is accurate. There are similarities to SPAWN although it also borrows elements from a low level Marvel character, Brother Voodoo (whose latest series, DOCTOR VOODOO, debuted at the same time as Haunt, only was canceled by issue five or six). Anyone who has read Kirkman’s work knows some of his tics, such as not being hesitant around violence or gore as well as enjoying heroes who work for government spy type agencies (INVINCIBLE and ASTOUNDING WOLF-MAN all had that detail). In that way, fans of SPAWN, whether new, old, or current should seriously give HAUNT a try as they may really enjoy it. Fans of Robert Kirkman’s work should also give it a try as something that is a nice middle ground between WALKING DEAD and INVINCIBLE in terms of themes and tones (especially since ASTOUNDING WOLF-MAN is over).

While this is not the best comic at Image (I greatly prefer DYNAMO 5) nor from Kirkman’s body of work, it’s far from their worst and especially for that reliable $2.99 price tag, it is more than worth a chance.

INVINCIBLE #76: It has been a bit of a slow year for this title; it has only shipped about six or seven issues in 2010, when usually it averaged nine to twelve. The fact that Robert Kirkman did write (or co-write) at least four other titles this year as well as work on writing an episode of the "WALKING DEAD" TV show is likely a factor. To give credit, Kirkman has never sought to throw his artists under a bus for lateness as some do in "big two" companies and usually blames himself for most lateness issues. To be fair, issues 70 and 75 were "extra sized" issues with a main story over 30 pages as well as back-up material. At any rate, this is the sixth installment of Kirkman's epic "Viltrumite War" story in which the titular hero and his father and brother aid their allies in a cosmic resistance team against the empire run by others of their own alien species. There is a big fight in this issue, as Mark and Nolan take on Thragg, the king of the Viltrumite Empire. While there is a bit of action, it doesn't dominate the issue and Kirkman wisely doesn't write himself completely into a corner by wrapping things up too quickly nor does he kill off as many vital characters as he teased. This is no bad thing; too many series write themselves into corners seeking "shocks", while Kirkman is able to provide those without the dead ends. This arc will still apparently run for another two issues and the ending provides a sufficient twist.

I was also very glad that Oliver was not dead. Although given that Kirkman has become adept with making it seem like a character has been killed and they really haven't since Atom Eve's near demise, I haven't taken every "death scene" at face value yet, at least not until the subsequent issue. Of course, the next time he really kills off a regular long term character, we may not see it coming. Thragg's shift decision was a good one because there was a risk of Kirkman burning through too many of his villains too fast, like Conquest. Of course Thragg could be offed within the next two issues for all we know, but it is best to not burn every bridge behind you when you're a long term writer.

INVINCIBLE continues to be one of the best and most consistent superhero titles that has been offered by any comic book company, especially one that has been running monthly (or near-monthly) for over seven years without a relaunch.

CHAOS WAR: DEAD AVENGERS #2: This three issue mini series that stars deceased Avengers continues to be more exciting and entertaining than some Avengers titles that feature living ones! This is side material from CHAOS WAR, and it is written by Fred Van Lente, who is half of the writing team for that event . The main villain for the series is Grim Reaper, one of the Avengers long term villains and the brother of Wonder Man (neither of whom ever stay dead). The plot of this brisk series is simple, at least in comic book terms. During the events of CHAOS WAR, entire godly pantheons have been destroyed, which include the underworld, so the dead literally have nowhere to go and have thus returned to earth. This includes a half dozen deceased Avengers as well as the souls of civilians from across earth's history. Grim Reaper, alongside his equally evil lover Nekra, seeks to destroy all the Avengers once and for all, even deceased ones (to rob them of even a pleasant afterlife). In terms of functional attachments to CHAOS WAR, the Reaper is also likely there to prevent these "briefly resurrected" Avengers from somehow meddling with the Chaos King, but to be honest this story has very little to do with the event itself and the recap pages cover things nicely. Three different characters get the focus in this issue, although one of them seems to die for a second time in the finale (and who it is shouldn't shock long term Marvel fans - dying is all this particular Avenger is known for). Despite this, Van Lente is able to balance comedy as well as seriousness without the shifts being awkward. The art by Tom Grummett is timeless and exceptional, and he is flanked well by inker Cory Hamscher and colors by Andy Troy and Sotocolor (hopefully a pen name).

The only demerit is that this series may be for what are termed "completists"; hardcore fans who are genuinely interested in a solid story about characters who have been dead for anywhere between six and twenty-five years, especially for $4 an issue (even for only three issues; an investment of $11.97 for characters many fans may not recognize). However, the major advantage is this is a very well done and well drawn story that won't over-stay it's welcome and featuring characters who have been abandoned by prior writers. It is another success for Fred Van Lente (who is quickly becoming one of Marvel's rare set of consistently excellent writers) and a pleasant surprise for jaded Marvel readers. I know I have been enjoying this one quite a bit, and I do actually hope that some of the characters survive. I do think Rita DeMara and Deathcry could add to the Marvel Universe.

Part Two Of Two: The Three and the Meh

FANTASTIC FOUR #586: The 4th chapter of "THREE", as amusing as it sounds, and as the COUNTDOWN TO CASUALTY marker notes, the next issue is when one of the four will bite it. That will be the polybagged "BLACK DEATH BAG" circa DEATH OF SUPERMAN, which will cost more than $2.99. The title will end at the start of 2011, although issue #600 would be due for I think 2012 if my math is right, and 2011 is the FF's 50th anniversary. While I doubt whoever dies will stay dead for all of 2011, and thus that entire 50th anniversary, a 600th issue for 2012 is as good a time as any for another relaunch of whatever the recently promoted "FF" series is that will replace the Four, as by 2012 it's sales will have gone down and need another boost. In a way, though, at least planning for two annual reasons to try to boost the Four for the next two years isn't a bad idea. And yes, the issues of FF that will be released will totally be added up for that FANTASTIC FOUR #600 relaunch in 2012.

Promotional and editorial schemes aside, how is the story? Things are heating up, although the irony is that this will be a 5-6 issue story that builds upon over a year's worth of Jonathon Hickman's run on the title, and it still feels like it could have seen an issue cut here or there. Hickman has lined his ducks in a row and is setting up his big shocker next month. The Four have been mostly divided and thus cannot come to each other's rescue. Reed is with Galactus and Silver Surfer heading towards Nu-Earth, which Galactus wants to investigate after founding the alternate future version of himself drained as a corpse. Rather than devour the Earth now to save his eternal life, Galactus trusts in Reed to make sure that the planet never becomes starved enough to need to try to drain Galactus to time travel as an escape. He's still hungry, though, so he decides he may as well devour Nu-Earth. Fortunately, as Nova has recently learned, the best thing to do is to try to save as many inhabitants as one can.

Speaking of Nova, a sequel to ANNIHILATION is playing out back in the Baxtor Building, and in a way it is a shame that Marvel isn't trying to promote THAT along with their death plans. I mean, I know, the "ONE WILL DIE" hype is likely bigger, but surely some fans of ANNIHILATION might be curious about this, right? What's the harm in maybe boosting sales by another 1,000 readers or so? Marvel thinks big, but sometimes thinking small can lead the to building up to bigger things - see how long DC invested in GREEN LANTERN and how they are reaping the rewards now. Ben and Johnny, as well as Alex Power, Val & Franklin, Dragon Man, and the rest of the kids from the Future Foundation are stuck trying to prevent some of Annihilus' bug followers (who are disguised as human cult members) from activating the Four's Negative Zone projector to allow the revived Annihilus to invade earth with his full horde. Apparently Annihilus has learned the folly of trying to take over the entire universe without eliminating Earth first, although it could simply be that the Four's N-Zone projector is as good a place as any to begin again. Ben has ingested Val's "cure" serum at the worst possible time, as always seems to happen, so he's powerless. For the first time in a decade, Johnny actually seems to display this odd thing called "experience" in the battle; he isn't acting like a moron nor does he seem to need anyone to pick up his slack. Alex Power leaps into action with his gravity powers while Dragon Man enters the fray, and Val at least is able to help construct a really large hi-tech gun to offer Ben. The problem is that the bug hordes are endless, and they are seeing things that Annihilus has never deployed against the Four before, at a time when Reed is absent.

Finally, Sue is at the bottom of the ocean in the middle of a diplomatic meeting that has gone horribly wrong. After failing to prevent Namor from murdering several of the ambassadors of the "lost tribes of Atlantis" for some plot contrived reason (she easily could have; she's reacted in time to defend and protect against opponents and projectiles far faster than Namor with a spear, especially at this point in her career), she decides to seal everyone in together until things can be sorted out. Namor and his people cannot flee, nor can his reinforcements arrive. At first it seems Namor is simply being his usual hot headed self, until he tells Sue a story of ancient evil and claims the "lost tribe" are all predators who have sought to devour his people in the past, and are merely manipulating Sue until they decide to kill her. Hickman at least tries to make up for Sue's prior lapse by showing she can maintain a city size energy dome for "an entire day" with enough focus and concentration.

Steve Epting's art remains incredible, especially matched alongside Paul Mounts' colors and Rick Magyar's inks. I certainly will not mind seeing Galactus devour Nu-Earth, and it is good to see the Four involved with Annihilus again. The question on every reader's minds is; WHO WILL BITE IT? Via FEAR ITSELF promotions and the fact that he's part of NEW AVENGERS, it won't be Ben Grimm. Besides, he's the Four's most popular member, the only one who has been able to sell his own series or team up series (MARVEL TWO IN ONE). It's like Wolverine surviving any X-Men event. In theory, Sue should be safe not only as the lone female of the founders, but because Paul Tobin has claimed in interviews for SPIDER-GIRL that he wants to have Sue be a sort of supporting character for Sofia (although why he is using her and not Ms. Marvel who Sofia already trained with is beyond me). On the other hand, SPIDER-GIRL #1 sold at 23k in November and could be out of the Top 100 by issue two, and so screwing over Tobin's plans for a series that is likely dead by issue six to do a big shocker for another title that at least sells in the Top 40 isn't outside of possibility. This leaves Johnny Storm and Reed Richards at total risk. If anything, Johnny's death would perhaps be at the hands of one of the Four's greatest enemies, and it would be to defend a slew of kids. On the other hand, he has a lot of back-up behind him; Ben, Alex Power, Dragon Man, Franklin, and Val. If Franklin could use his powers to stop Arcade, I can't see him just "letting" Johnny die.

This leaves Reed. Galactus took note to be far enough away from earth that Franklin's powers could not effect them; implying that he could "feel" one of his parents die if he was in range and possible prevent it. Obviously, Reed being around to prevent the earth from starving to death may not happen, and his death would open up the possibility to Galactus being more serious about eating Earth than he's been in years; a gold mine for a future story. Reed was involved with Alyssa Moy and Nu-Earth so in a way it all is HIS mess, much as creating the Four were. While Galactus has as much admiration for Reed as he can get towards mortals, he's made it clear that he's not going to do much to prevent Reed dying in his quest to save some of Nu-Earth's citizens. The Fantastic Four operated in the 1990's for years of time with Reed MIA and presumed dead, and it is possible that Hickman is seeking to take another stab at that era, only about 13 years later. Some would say it would repeat history, but those fans forget that to Joe Quesada, nothing that happened before the year 2000 counts and if it did, it was some shameless promotional stunt that is totally beyond his era of Marvel and he could surely do better. Reed's last demise were wrapped up with Hyperstorm, an alternate reality grandson of his who pretty much SCREAMED 1990's convolution. Seemingly biting it to save Nu-Earth's citizens from Galactus is a lot simpler in comparison. The team has also survived without him before for a stretch, which isn't something you can say about anyone else. He's still my odds on favorite to bite it next month. That would leave a science void that Val or even a rented egg-head (like Spider-Man) could fill for a while, and it would allow Namor to hang around and flirt like he usually did the last time Sue was a "widow". There are fewer story options for Sue's death besides eternal sadness, even if Alex Power could seemingly replace her in terms of gravity powers on the team. And, as stated in prior posts, losing Johnny is, tactically, almost like losing nothing. Aunt May with a lighter is about half as useful. In some ways he's wrapped up in the most hectic situation, but I think it's a red herring.

Reed's death odds are still at about 2:1 odds now, with Sue 3:1 and Johnny about 4:1, with Ben's being 800 Trillion to one. In terms of the story, things are heating up, but it sure did take a damn lot of mundane issues to get here.

INVINCIBLE IRON MAN #33: After nine chapters, which is 75% as long as WATCHMEN was, "Stark Resilient" ends. Only, in that Mighty Marvel Manner, it isn't an ending as a promotion for the $5 500th issue as well as the arc after that, which could be anywhere between 9-100 issues depending on Fraction's pace and editor Stephen Wacker's instructions. Caught in the middle is Salvador Larroca, who I swear is cursed to do long runs for writers who aren't always up to snuff. This run has been better than some of those runs he did with Chris Claremont on X-TREME X-MEN, but Jesus, what a track record. And as always, INVINCIBLE IRON MAN remains a frustrating book. It is by no means bad. It does remain underwhelming and it's arcs are also over long. Screw the Eisner; this book should have won the "CRAP OR GET OFF THE POT" award. 2010 has not been a good year for it, in my eyes.

Things come to a head, finally. Stark's plan to lead the drones away from his allies works, although Maria Hill, who is working for Steve Rogers' "I CAN'T BELIEVE IT'S NOT SHIELD", basically chews out Stark's staff for not asking for help when they very well could have and saved everyone some trouble. Hey, Hill, that might have prevented this storyline from being nine chapters! Pay attention! At any rate, the cell signal is shut down so the drones all suck wind. Hill pressures the general in line with the Hammer women to call off the attack, which prevents another showdown between Iron Man and Detroit Steel (who play it all with winks for the media). The Hammer women get Zeke Stane transferred from prison to a nation in control of the Mandarin, who is apparently the younger Hammer's father. At least that explains why she's Asian. They all form an unholy alliance to end Stark, and aside for a back up strip with lovely art but which is totally useless, that's it for your $4. I have to say, DYNAMO 5: HOLIDAY SPECIAL 2010 #1 was a far better value for the four dollars. The ending also promotes War Machine's next relaunch, IRON MAN 2.0.

So, in the end, for your 9 issue investment at a price of $19.99, you get a finale that isn't a finale but a promotion for the next arc and another title. No wonder Matt Fraction has been chosen to write the next event, FEAR ITSELF. He is displaying all the "talents" that event writers need to display in order to do so. They need to needlessly stretch out a story. They need to have internal gaps of narrative logic (Stark can't call Hill, because that's that). They need to underwhelm when it counts and have an anti-climax that is merely an advertisement for ANOTHER over priced affair. To think as 2009 ended Fraction was still one of "those" writers, as in a good one I'd follow places. Now he's one of "THOSE" writers, whose work I keep planning to make my escape from.

I am genuinely interested in the Mandarin/Zeke Stane/Hammer unholy alliance. But y'know what? Too ****ing bad. One golden kernel atop a pile of rocks doesn't make up the investment for an entire mine. I've been on this book since issue one and I'd say it's been steadily losing me for about the last 10 - 13 issues. It is hard to justify staying on a series that isn't knocking my socks off every month at $2.99. But for $3.99 an issue, with a $5 wallet buster anniversary issue coming? This is my jumping off point. Besides, if any of this comes up in FEAR ITSELF, it will make following this moot. Now, all I need to do is ditch THOR, and hopping aboard the twice a month ASM (which has been better in every fathomable way from anything I have read from Fraction in a year) will no longer be an extra expense.

Farewell, INVINCIBLE IRON MAN. You may have started out being my WORLD'S MOST WANTED, but over time your flaws DISASSEMBLED you until you were no longer RESILIENT, but close to my FIVE NIGHTMARES. All that's left is to gather up the remaining 32 issues and annual, stuff them into a box, and dump them in some corner of the room where other boxes of comics I never touch like my ULTIMATE stuff or NEW AVENGERS piles sit. You won't be missed at all. It's not me, it's you. I don't want to be friends. Please forget my number.

SECRET AVENGERS #8: Following up a meh with another meh, we have this, which is the 3rd part of "Eyes Of The Dragon". At the very least, Ed Brubaker's arcs average five issues a piece, they simply connect into a whole long term. Mike Deodato continues on art, with Beredo on colors. This issue is basically about Max Fury and John Steele, the hero of two world wars, following their Shadow Cabinet orders to speed up the process of capturing Shang Chi so that his father, Fu Manchu (who has been renamed Zheng Zu for legal reasons) can be resurrected. Unlike Nova, who was useless and wasted in the first arc, this entire arc revolves heavily around Shang Chi and his history, and he's a vital part of Steve Rogers' strike team.

As in every issue, members vanish and re-appear for no good reason. War Machine is back but Ant-Man is gone. And IMMORTAL IRON FIST's Prince Of Orphans has clearly replaced Moon Knight as the "cloaked fighter with supernatural origins" of the team, even though Moon Knight doesn't have a title for another few months and could easily appear in SECRET AVENGERS. I am stunned that the roster for the team is more consistent in guest appearances for stuff like TASKMASTER or DEADPOOL than it is in the series proper. At any rate, Fury & Steele decide that the best way to try to attack Rogers' team is to distract them from their air-craft, and then kidnap Rogers' girlfriend. Who was planning their strategy, Snidely Whiplash? At any rate, the team once again unites to valiantly battle nameless interchangeable henchmen in a fruitless battle while Beast is dropped in about one panel so Carter can be captured. Rogers is given an ultimatum - surrender Chi, or his almost baby momma dies! I wonder if Rogers can even count on all his fingers, toes, and his lil' captain how many times a bad guy has sought him out by kidnapping his girlfriend. Sharon Carter alone has been kidnapped at least 3-4 times within the past year or two. It looks predictable, but that's only because it is.

The thing is, Ed Brubaker isn't one of "those" writers to me. Overall I still enjoy his work. His run on CAPTAIN AMERICA, despite some hiccups like part of the Zemo arc, has been the stuff of legends. STEVE ROGERS: SOLDIER SOLDIER kicked ass. Even CAPTAIN AMERICA REBORN, over long and flawed as it was, was still a better "event" story than quite a few I could mention. Hell, THAT was a better Avengers mission than anything this team has encountered, to be honest. On the other hand, he is a writer who has stuff like X-MEN: DEADLY GENESIS on his bibliography, and has a few misses with his hits. This arc is an improvement from the last, but I thought the last ended very poorly. There are so many good ideas and such potential with this team, that it frustrates me that all they do is battle expendable henchmen and chase Maguffins. I mean if Dan Slott wrote SECRET AVENGERS ANNUAL, I bet they'd fight more villains in a two page montage than in all 8 issues of this series so far. I keep imagining a SECRET AVENGERS team that is like the last ten minutes of a Bond film every issue, and instead I get the feeling that Bendis Avengers comics would offer me more thrills.

I think the problem is I expected SECRET AVENGERS by Brubaker to be a 9 out of 10 and it's about a 6-7 out of 10, and that's more frustrating for $4 an issue. When I was reading Bendis' NEW AVENGERS, it wasn't $4 an issue. When I read issues of Charlie Huston's MOON KNIGHT and it started to fall apart, it wasn't $4 an issue. Not even Robert Kirkman's ULTIMATE X-MEN run, which is the worst run of anything he has ever written, was $3.99 per issue (and it was so bad I feel I should send him all my $2.99 issues and ask for a refund). So it becomes more annoying to be reading "somewhat above average, but maybe next issue will kick up, or the issue after that, or the issue after -" every month for more than a gallon of gas. I keep waiting for the SECRET AVENGERS to live up to their name, instead of being the SECRET UNDERACHIEVERS. This arc is better than where #4 ended, but that's like moving from a 3 to a 6 out of 10. I'm saving the champagne.

The art's cool, although the colors for some reason looked a bit computerized, although maybe I just didn't notice it last issue. I want to like this book more, I just keep waiting for reasons to.

Last edited:
Okay, so I went to the comicshop yesterday as well as Half Priced Books and got tons of stuff filling a lot of holes (mostly X-Men related). I also picked up some new comics that I normally wouldn't have since I had some extra cash. On to my reviews... starting with DC.

Batman Incorporated 2 - I'm really liking this direction, and this 2 issue story was enjoyable. I like the new Batman of Japan but what I don't like is that apparently all the new Batmen are going to look like Batman. I was under the impression that they'd have their own individual look but sport the Bat symbol or something showing they are linked. I don't know if I like tons of actual Batmen around but oh well. The issue itself was good and I liked reading Catwoman. I don't care enough for her to read stuff more prominant but I like her in a guest starring role, so that's good. And despite my laughing at his name last issue I kinda can't help but to like Lord Death Man. He's a pretty cool villain :up:

Green Lantern Corps 55 - So the whole Weaponer thing is still kinda boring me but this issue was okay. I liked last arc with Cyborg Superman and the Alpha Lanterns a lot better but this one's okay. It's panning out to get better though. The Honor Guard find out about Ganthet's secret pact with Guy and Atrocitus due to Ganthet's vomiting blood showing the message Atrocitus sent both he and Guy (as soon in Emerald Warriors last week) about the happenings in the proper Green Lantern title. We learn that Ganthet joined the Corps due to this pact so he can search for the little Entity stealing guy or some such. Anyhow, for me the arc is about to get real interesting as the Sinestro Corps show up (minus Sinestro). More eager for next issue than I have been since this arc began. And for the record, I'm not that familiar with the guy but I'm loving Kurkham's art :up:

Green Lantern Larfleeze Christmas Special - I had my hopes up too high for this it was just bound to fail. I like Larfleeze, one of the best characters in the past decade I think, but he can't really carry his own title. This issue has him ticked off that Santa didn't bring him anything and he goes on a fit until Hal shows up and tries to show him the true meaning of Christmas is in the giving. Hel helps Larfleeze to give all his stuff away (that he's been stealing in Green Lantern) and Larfleeze doesn't seem to like the Christmas Spirit. Hal then asks him to go through his huge list of things he wanted and see if he really NEEDED any of it. We see him with his list in the end and he clings to one thing that he wants, his family. That last scene was the only real thing in this that I felt was really good. The rest was just kinda bleh. It would have been decent as a single issue of Green Lantern for $3 but for $4 it wasn't really worth the price. There's also a bit of a blip in that Larfleeze learns in this issue that Santa resides in the North Pole but he should have already known this as he mentions "the man who lives at the North Pole" during his re-introduction in Green Lantern post-Blackest Night (that is, if my memory is correct). Oh well.

If you like Larfleeze though, it might be worth checking out. It is a fun read. Oh, and you know I'm a parent of small kids when it comes to the part where Hal tells Larfleeze there is no Santa and I instantly get a little peeved in them letting the secret out while looking around making sure my kids aren't around. :)

And now moving on to the Marvel stuff...

Shadowland: After the Fall - My shop didn't get their shipment of this title and for some reason JUST got it this week. Anyhow, it wasn't anything amazing really. The art is good and it serves as a decent epilogue for the "other" characters of Daredevil following up on Daredevil's last issue. It could be skipped but as a bit of the lingering completionist in me I'm glad I got it. It wraps up the story began in that issue of Daredevil where Detective Kurtz is tasked to hunt down Daredevil. Basically, he tries and gives up on it after being confronted by several officers wanting him to back down out of respect for all Matt's done. It was a decent story from that point of view and I always like Ben Urich when he shows up. Decent read but nothing grand.

Incredible Hulks 619 - I'm really glad I didn't drop this after Dark Son. It's only been two issues but I'm finding it's still one of my favorite books every month. Admists the Chaos War we have the Hulk family (Hulk, Skaar, A-Bomb, She-Hulk, Red She-Hulk, and Korg) fighting Abomination and Dr. Strange (possessed by Zom) for the life of Marlo who has a connection to the character of Death. Their goal is to use Marlo to wake up Death so that all the people of Earth who should be dying or dead, can. The Hulks try to stop this being that, A) they don't want people to die, and B) A-Bomb himself is gravely wounded and may be dead if he could die. Anyhow, so the fight moves forward and Marlo summons some dead help in Jarella (Queen of K'ai), Glen Talbot, Hiroim the Oldstrong, and Doctor Samson. It was actually a pretty cool moment. I particularly liked seing Hiroim again. I didn't read Planet Hulk or Warbound but from the little I saw them together in World War Hulk I didn't realize they were beloved. Cool. The ending confused me a little though as Bruce's parents show back up. His mother tries to prevent Bruce from something or other but then his father shows up and Hulks out. Was Hulk's father a Hulk? I know nothing about this!

Okay, so that was the main story and it was good. Pelletier was made to draw this title! As for the backup, it was okay. I liked reading about the Savage She-Hulk being that I don't now as much about her and this seem to lead into the She-Hulks mini that's coming out now (I don't read it). We get the jist that Lyra doesn't see Bruce as a father and doesn't care to have a father and Bruce realizes that what she needs is Jen Walters. Honestly, while just a mediocre family story (though I like those) it was enough to actually make me curious about the She-Hulks mini. I might look it up now :up:

Secret Avengers 8 - God... as Dread eludes to, this has so much waisted potential. You have great characters, great artist, and a writer with potential and nothing is coming of this book. I don't give a crap about the villains and the characters I care most about on the roster barely show up. Beast is nothing but a desk jockey, Nova was wasted and discarded, Ant-Man does small things (yeah, I know), Moon Knight's kinda disappeared on us, and even Prince of Orphans in ths arc hasn't done much. I hate to say it but I am so bored of this book it isn't funny... but I hold on HOPING that something more comes of it. I've always sayd that Avengers is the worst of the Avenger titles but the ONLY thing keeping this above that is the art. It has nothing to do with story, trust me.

No Thunderstrike #2 this week, even though it was solicited. I checked 3 comic shops in my area and none of them had it. That cast kind of a pall over the whole week. :csad:

Now for some X-Men. Small interesting comment here - while at the shop I was eavesdropping and the manager made a comment that Uncanny X-Men, X-Men Legacy, and X-Men all came out this week and all three combined are not selling as well as Uncanny X-Men alone sold 4 years ago. He was talking about the blindness of Marvel though I didn't catch the rest of the conversation in regards to exactly what blindness he was talking about. It made me wonder if Dread is the manager at my comicshop.

Deadpool 30 - This is one of those issues I wasn't going to buy but since I had the extra cash I decided to give it a shot. I'm not a huge fan of the Deadpool oversaturation but I do like him in small doses and especially in connection to something else that interests me. Well, I've been enjoying the whole Curse of the Mutants deal and the Vampire Hickey cover made me laugh, and in seeing that it was only a two part story I figured what the heck?

So I bought it and enjoyed it :up: It's not ground breaking Earth shattering nothing well ever be the same again or anything but just enjoyable. Deadpool vs Vampires... or Draculas as he likes to call them (and while funny, that joke got old fast). There isn't much more to it than that but it was still enjoyable. I'll buy next issue to finish out the story.

X-Men 6 - The conclusion to Curse of the Mutants. It felt a little underwhelming for me but not horribly. Dracula beheads his son and stops the rebellion. Xerxes followers follow Dracula now and Cyclops stops Blade from attacking Dracula due to one time unspoken understanding between the two. Dracula, in good faith, then leaves them the still vampirized Jubilee. Blade wants to kill her but Wolverine says no and Blade leaves them to their fates. That's the extent of the issue. It was good and I enjoyed it but I do kinda feel like I'm ready to move on. I'm hoping the Vampire Nation flourishes and spreads to other titles like it was originally hinted, and I'm eager to see what the X-Men having up their sleaves next. It involves Spidey and New York so that should be fun.

I've never heard of Gischler before this but he's won me over. I enjoy his work and usage of characters and I'm curious what he has in store next. He and Medina make a great team. In my opinion, this arc was a success and I'm hoping for more to come :up:

X-Men Legacy 243 - Okay, so I've figured Mike Carey out. He's a great X-Men writer with a vice. I didn't read his original run with Sabretooth and Mystique and all them but I felt his 'Blinded by the Light' arc previous to Messiah Complex was good. His Xavier story was good for the most part but it shined when minor characters were present, such as the Brotherhood, but his Rogue story has been lackluster. It truly only shines when the students take center stage along with Rogue. His vice is Rogue. She's a fairly uninteresting character. He does team and groups well, but he focuses on Rogue so much that his talents are hidden behind one boring character.

So these past two issues told a story of a team of X-Men, or rather, mutants as they help clean up a damaged San Francisco. Well, as it turns out Omega Sentinel's programing goes nuts (due to delyed events in Second Coming) and her Prime Sentinel's programing becomes dominant. She attempts to overcome it and ultimately keeps asking to be killed because she is unable. The other characters consisting of Rogue (of course), Colossus, Hope, Random, Psylocke, Magneto, Danger and Hellion battle her but she stands her ground.

I was glad to see Random getting some good respect and facetime. He was a fantastic character during his time with X-Factor back in the 90's and I've always wanted to see him grow. Carey brought him in during his run and then after the Xavier run Random was brought to Utopia. That excited me but ntohing's come of him. Now he's being used again for this story and I was excited. He was even one of the first to get a good lick in on Omega Sentinel.

Anyhow, while Rogue is Carey's obvious favorite, she's not the star here - Hellion is. We see a lot of growth in his powers in this issue as well as his combative personality with Cyclops and in the end we see him going too far and killing Omega Sentinel as she asks for it. While I was disappointed to see her killed, as I like her, it was a good death scene and didn't feel cheap at all (such as with Hobgoblin). More interesting, perhaps, is the aftermath of this in a confrontation between Cyclops and Hellion. Cyclops puts Hellion on probation saying that his battle tactics were too far and that he crossed a line he didn't have to cross. There were other avenues. Hellion calls him out on this though in regards to Cyclops's recent past, and then Hellion really gives some signs of going bad when commenting that others have walked the line he's walking and realized when to pull back, he says maybe the others didn't have the balls to cross it or something like that. He then comments in the end that he can get by without any of this.

Carey writes these minor characters great but he just keeps focusing on Rogue!!! Even his Xavier storyline came back around to Rogue. It's ANNOYING!!! I really liked this arc though and I'm sad that we're getting an alternate story soon staring Rogue yet again. It sounds interesting but I'd actually like to see Carey get more heavily involved in the core story with more characters NOT Rogue. Oh well.

Uncanny X-Men 531 - This issue did not have to happen. Seriously, nothing really advanced forward at all. We were introduced to the Sublime created X-Men last issue and in here they just kinda fight crime and in the end team up with the X-Men. That could have been two pages and been done. Utopia is sick, but we saw that last issue. Wolverine's taking it badly, but we saw that last issue. And there's crime in China but we saw that last issue. Oh, and Emma, Fantomex, and Kitty have taken Sebastian Shaw off the grid, but we saw that last issue.

The only small parts in this issue that was necessary was the ending when Fantomex attempts to kill Shaw but accidentally empowers him, and the X-Men out of Utopia confronting the deal in China. Anything else could have been a quick 1 pager or side mention... and even these two scenes are small. I'm sure next issue we coudl cut out some and fit this in to make it not feel as dragged out, but I guess that's Fraction. He's worse than Bendis when it comes to this crap... and just as expensive thanks to that recent $4 price jump.

So yeah, of the 3 X-Men books and the Deadpool book, the core book is the worst of the bunch. I'm very eager for Fraction to leave this book and Gillen take over. I have a feeling it'd be a lot better. And I hope Land leaves soon too. Even my wife was looking over my shoulder while reading this issue commenting how fake and stiff the art looked.

Okay, so there's all that. Deep breath for this last one here... and here we go...

Amazing Spider-Man 648-650 - Yeah yeah, shut up. So I had the extra money and I saw these on the shelf and really debated it. Yes, I'm one of the vocal pieces for Anti-BND and yes, I still can't stand the way Spider-Man's marriage is handled by Quesada, Slott, and the rest of Marvel - but I miss Spider-Man. I had downloaded 648 to see the MJ scene that everyone was complaining about and read the issue then. Somewhere in the Amazing Spider-Man thread I gave an official review of the issue stating it was decent but that that one scene was rediculous and the amount of "Spider-Man's great" comments were annoying, but all in all it was a decent issue. And I didn't like Ramos's art as usual.

So thinking on that and seeing all these issues and having extra cash I just caved and bought all three. Well, actually I just bought 648 and 650 because I apparently missed 649 when I thought I grabbed it... but I DL'd it to read and will pick it up next week when I go.

Yes, you heard me... I read all 3 of these issues and plan on picking up the issue I missed and will continue to do so as long as my budget allows me. I read them and enjoyed them. I still can't stand the one MJ scene in 648 and still call crap on Dan for saying nothing was intended there, but the rest of it is pretty good. I hate the needless and uninspired death of Kingsley but I also had to remind myself something about the character. I never liked Kingsley. To me, the great Hobgoblin of the past was Leeds. The whole plot lead to Leeds and it was a fantastic read with that in mind. When they undid that and made it Kingsley in Hobgoblin Lives I was ticked off. Even now as I go back and reread some of those old issues I still envision it as Leeds, so why care if Kingsley is killed off? Granted, it was still a crappy death that is below Slott's abilities but it's not like Kingsley was my favorite Hobgoblin. And despite some flaws in his journey... I'm kinda digging Phil as the new Hobgoblin. He reminds me of a nice mixture of Kingsley and Macendale.

I also found that I'm intrigued by Peter's supporting staff. They make for some great conversation and plot, and it's a nice mix of old and new.

So all in all, yes, I liked these issues and for the sake of trying to get back into the Spider-Man that I desparately miss I will continue buying... for now, until finances get in the way or Slott goes dumb and disrespectful with his storytelling again. I still hate the new status quo and feel that this setting is far removed and inferior to what it used to be and is a MAJOR step back, but it's not so bad that I can't read it. If only Marvel had properly handled the undoing of the marriage through death or genuine divorce I could likely enjoy this untainted, but they're morons so I can't. Slott's treatment of anti-BND fans is also tainting but I don't read books for creators or company (usually), I read them for characters. This isn't the book that it used to be, a pale comparison that is barely even recognizable to be honest, but it's an acceptable cousin for now.

Best and Worst of the Week

Best - X-Men Legacy 243: I don't think I've ever put this title in this slot. It was just a great read with great character moments but I found to be extremely enjoyable. It really played up Hellion and I HOPE something more comes of it. He really has the potential to become a torn villain and I hope they take it. Between his coming to Magneto back when he was ticked at the X-Men (and turned away), his issues with losing his hands, and now this... it's all building and I hope it's building toward something good for the character. I'd love to see him turn but then be turned back and be a bit of a heroic X-Man with that dark edge. That would fit the character wonderfully.

Worst - Uncanny X-Men 531: Easily one of the worst books I've read in a while. Eager for this creative team to move on to something else. I think I covered reasonings in the actual review.

Last edited:
Dread, I'm calling an audible for too many bad puns in a row.

As I was reading JH's "positive" review of ASM, I had the 12 days of Christmas running through my head...

... and a partridge in a peeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar treeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.... :up:

Merry X-Mas everyone...

:yay:

No Thunderstrike #2 this week, even though it was solicited. I checked 3 comic shops in my area and none of them had it. That cast kind of a pall over the whole week. :csad:

That's funny. I got it; but, haven't read it yet.

Amazing Spider-Man 648-650 - Yeah yeah, shut up. So I had the extra money and I saw these on the shelf and really debated it. Yes, I'm one of the vocal pieces for Anti-BND and yes, I still can't stand the way Spider-Man's marriage is handled by Quesada, Slott, and the rest of Marvel - but I miss Spider-Man. I had downloaded 648 to see the MJ scene that everyone was complaining about and read the issue then. Somewhere in the Amazing Spider-Man thread I gave an official review of the issue stating it was decent but that that one scene was rediculous and the amount of "Spider-Man's great" comments were annoying, but all in all it was a decent issue. And I didn't like Ramos's art as usual.

So thinking on that and seeing all these issues and having extra cash I just caved and bought all three. Well, actually I just bought 648 and 650 because I apparently missed 649 when I thought I grabbed it... but I DL'd it to read and will pick it up next week when I go.

Yes, you heard me... I read all 3 of these issues and plan on picking up the issue I missed and will continue to do so as long as my budget allows me. I read them and enjoyed them. I still can't stand the one MJ scene in 648 and still call crap on Dan for saying nothing was intended there, but the rest of it is pretty good. I hate the needless and uninspired death of Kingsley but I also had to remind myself something about the character. I never liked Kingsley. To me, the great Hobgoblin of the past was Leeds. The whole plot lead to Leeds and it was a fantastic read with that in mind. When they undid that and made it Kingsley in Hobgoblin Lives I was ticked off. Even now as I go back and reread some of those old issues I still envision it as Leeds, so why care if Kingsley is killed off? Granted, it was still a crappy death that is below Slott's abilities but it's not like Kingsley was my favorite Hobgoblin. And despite some flaws in his journey... I'm kinda digging Phil as the new Hobgoblin. He reminds me of a nice mixture of Kingsley and Macendale.

I also found that I'm intrigued by Peter's supporting staff. They make for some great conversation and plot, and it's a nice mix of old and new.

So all in all, yes, I liked these issues and for the sake of trying to get back into the Spider-Man that I desparately miss I will continue buying... for now, until finances get in the way or Slott goes dumb and disrespectful with his storytelling again. I still hate the new status quo and feel that this setting is far removed and inferior to what it used to be and is a MAJOR step back, but it's not so bad that I can't read it. If only Marvel had properly handled the undoing of the marriage through death or genuine divorce I could likely enjoy this untainted, but they're morons so I can't. Slott's treatment of anti-BND fans is also tainting but I don't read books for creators or company (usually), I read them for characters. This isn't the book that it used to be, a pale comparison that is barely even recognizable to be honest, but it's an acceptable cousin for now.

Yes, Virginia....There is a Santa Claus.

Before I get to these nine reviews, let me wish everyone a Merry Christmas (or, whichever holiday you celebrate) to you all!!! I love seeing my kids getting so excited. My daughter just can't stay away from the presents under the tree.

Wonder Woman #605

I don't care what you say, I think the greatest fiasco of 2010 is going to be the whole Straczynski saga with Superman and Wonder Woman that happened this year....more so for this title than the previous. While Simone wasn't exactly blowing us away with her take on Diana, she always made it interesting enough to keep me coming back (kind of like her other title, Secret Six)...and, I loved that she brought back many former supporting characters I hadn't seen in ages. Straczynski pretty much ignored what people had been doing before, and began a rather confusing tale...which I guess abruptly comes to a halt with this issue. He's credited as a writer; but, my guess is it's only the first couple pages. Phil Hester takes over...and, from there, things get only worse.

I guess whatever was happening before is scrapped. That's fine, as I wasn't really following that new direction; but, this issue bored the holy heck out of me. There is no real transition between JMS and Hester...and, I wish they could have convinced Simone to just retake up this book. (Though, I'd understand if she told DC to "jump off a bridge" at this point.)

Where before The Traveler was the worst I've read this week, Wonder Woman just took the lead! :csad:

(I still have 8 books to review...but, something's come up with the kids; so, I'll be back later!)

As I was reading JH's "positive" review of ASM, I had the 12 days of Christmas running through my head...

... and a partridge in a peeeeeeeeeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaar treeeeeeeeeeeeeeee.... :up:

Merry X-Mas everyone...

:yay:

Phaedrus said:
Yes, Virginia....There is a Santa Claus.

Bah Humbug ;)

Last edited:
Is it vain to wonder if my decision to try ASM for BIG TIME and actually liked it (enough that two issues in a row where BOOKS OF THE WEEK at Examiner) did encourage some others to crack on it? :dry:

THUNDERSTRIKE #2 comes out next week. At least in New York. Maybe certain states got shafted in some comics for a week. It sometimes happens. One issue of DYNAMO 5: SINS OF THE FATHER came out a week or so later because of a similar Diamond issue.

Dread, I'm calling an audible for too many bad puns in a row.

It was that INVINCIBLE IRON MAN review, eh?

If you're calling an audible, can I buy a vowel?

This isn't the first time I've tried to give Spider-Man a shot again. I tried back when New Ways to Day started but it was too soon then. Tried it again during the American Son arc. I enjoyed it but it just wasn't Spider-Man. Tried during O.M.I.T. and that was a nightmare. So I'm not holding my breath for a long run this time around either, but we'll see. I've enjoyed these three issues more than any of those, so that's a good sign. Honestly, my biggest hesitation toward this series at the moment isn't the character or the past (for as much as I hate it) but Dan Slott himself.

I don't trust him to write much the series beyond the 80's, but there's some decent stuff here to maybe prove me wrong so we'll see. His more modern touches include the use of Phil Urich, which is pretty cool, and some of the BND stuff like Jonah being mayor and Aunt May being married, but he's rehashing eras in the Kingpin and Hobgoblin squabble (just waiting for the Rose to show up). Black Cat is Spidey's sidekick again with sexual tension and Peter's dating the nerdy girl (reminding me of Debra Whitman). Also, the Horizon Labs reminds me of that other place he worked during Mackie's run I think it was but it's being treated like this bold new direction. And instead of running forward with the new Frontline approach Slott reverted back to the Daily Bugle of old. So while there may be some moving forward of side characters I don't see the book or Spider-Man himself taking too many steps forward.

So while there are some newer ideas mixed in, to me it still feels like a comic out of the 80's, which is sad really because it stunts the feeling of progression, but the more important aspect here is that it's still written somewhat well and can pull me in. Due to that I'm willing to, once again, give it a weary shot at impressing me. The writer, the MJ situation (and the writer's handling of it), and the rip off price tag are all going against it at the moment and I think those are the key aspects that's going to decide how long I continue with this book.

Last edited:
Is it vain to wonder if my decision to try ASM for BIG TIME and actually liked it (enough that two issues in a row where BOOKS OF THE WEEK at Examiner) did encourage some others to crack on it? :dry:

Yup... vain. You're trying it didn't do anything toward my choice to give it a shot. I planned on it prior to it coming out but put it off due to Slott's handling of the Peter/MJ situation. While I'm trying it I'll still get excited at other people who opt to drop it. Honestly, since I still want the book to fail I'd be best to just download the things and not offer my $8 a month but I'm not big on downloading new comics.

My thing is that I was a Spider-Man fan for more than 15 years when OMD hit. I had posters and every issue from around 100 to date including all the branching titles and minis. My friends, none of whom are comicbook fans, knew that Spider-Man was my favorite character and even NOW after these few years the kids at school call me Spider-Man as a nickname, etc.

What it came down to was the *****ebag Marvel mentality of "Keep it going long enough and eventually they'll get over it." Well, I'm not over it and don't think I ever will be but I miss Spider-Man enough to keep coming back to TRY to get over it. I've just come to the decision that it's either no Spider-Man, or accept it as a different Spider-Man from the one I liked since way back when. To me, this isn't the same continuity as the Spider-Man I grew up reading. It's as much a What If as anything in that old series was... it just happens to be taking place in the current 616 for no understandable reason. It can be Ultimate Spider-Man for all I'm concerned.

I honestly believe that Marvel should put out a Spider-man Forever book that continues with MJ and Peter being married. It would be interesting to see which one sells the most

I honestly believe that Marvel should put out a Spider-man Forever book that continues with MJ and Peter being married. It would be interesting to see which one sells the most

I don't think that will ever happen. That would be Marvel admitting that they screwed up and alienated long time readers. Besides, those books are crap anyway. Marvel wouldn't put any effort into an ASM Forever book creatively. It would be by some hack writer and artist like Loeb and Liefeld.....

Sorry, Dread, but I too've been sampling ASM here and there. The earlier stuff far after the fact thanks to discount bins (an abundance of those in there, surprise surprise) and a few of the post-600s for various reasons (Black Cat fan, MJ's "return," Ben Reilly's "return," etc...) For now, I'm back for Slott's run. As long as there's no manchild Peter and they keep the Peter/Nora stuff to a MINIMUM I'll be happy. And get rid of Ramos. Sorry, but the dude does NOT belong on a superhero title.

I dunno, Runaway...X-Men Forever started out a wreck, but over time it got pretty interesting and is far less boring than Claremont's last Uncanny stint. New Mutants started off good, conversely, but the ending was kinda meh. Went a little too quickly, even for Claremont's style. X-Factor was also pretty good, although some of the "modernizations" didn't make sense within the context, but it is what it is.

I don't think that will ever happen. That would be Marvel admitting that they screwed up and alienated long time readers. Besides, those books are crap anyway. Marvel wouldn't put any effort into an ASM Forever book creatively. It would be by some hack writer and artist like Loeb and Liefeld.....

thats the precise reason why I dont think they would do it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"