Bought/Thought for November 23, 2011 - TURKEY DAY Edition

TheCorpulent1

SHAZAM!
Reaction score
The Mighty Thor: This is why I hate Fraction's comics. The nuts and bolts of his comics will generally be f***ing terrible--mischaracterizations galore here in Thor, pacing a snail would speed past in Iron Man, etc.--but the broad strokes range from good to utterly awesome. This issue has awesome in spades, as Tanarus is revealed to be the nefarious product of an Ulik/Geirrodur/Karnilla team-up, the Allmothers embrace the refugee influx from other Nine Realms and decide to restore Asgard as Asgardia, a republic of all the mythical races, Fallen Asgard is finally being rebuilt, and Thor is revealed to be heading toward the Demagorge with a bunch of other "dead" gods. Cushioning out the issue, however, is a bunch of bizarre, awkward crap like Kelda apparently being one of the crazy witches out in the desert all of a sudden, Jane Foster being with some dude named Erik (possibly Solvang, the nerd who spent Fraction's first arc bugging the Asgardians about the emptiness of the Asgard dimension), and the Silver Surfer taking a job as a line cook in Broxton. This issue is basically the definition of a mixed bag, and it's extremely frustrating because, with just a few nips here and tucks there, it could've been awesome. The same holds true for most of Fraction's run, to be honest. But as it stands, the good serves as much to highlight the bad as it does to make the series fun. Irritating.

Green Lantern: New Guardians: Man, this series has improved considerably from its tepid, slow first issue. The now tragically emotionless Ganthet turns on Kyle and, along with the other Guardians, serves him a beatdown when he finally gives in and allows all the other rings that have been chasing him to empower him. Just as quickly as Kyle becomes a freaky, purplish demigod powered by all the Corps, though, he loses that power and the other rings get destroyed, leaving him severely weakened. Salaak loses any and all respect I ever had for him by acting as the ultimate authority stooge and knocking Kyle the f*** out for rightfully rebelling after the Guardians essentially told him they wanted to keep him locked up as a lab rat to figure out what was going on with the other rings. When the Guardians try to take back Kyle's ring, however, they're stopped by the orange ring, which turns out to be Glomulus in disguise. Some more fighting occurs, but the Glomulus revelation leads more or less directly to the big cliffhanger ending: Larfleeze has arrived to claim Kyle and everything else for himself! Also, he may have been behind everything so far. Exciting! I'm greatly enjoying this series now. Enough that I'm thinking it may be all the GL action I need, since Green Lantern Corps has been kind of meh. We'll see after their respective first arcs are up, though.

Aquaman: Solid. Johns picks up the pace a little bit, thankfully. We learn some stuff about the Trench and Aquaman is pointed in the direction of their home, so by the end of the issue he and Mera have set out to find it. The continued disrespect of everyone toward Aquaman is starting to wear on me, just as I suspected it would. Aquaman does nothing but try to help and the guards get in a huff because he doesn't know what the Trench are and couldn't really do much to stop them (they retreat on their own for some reason). I was fine with the prevailing opinion of Aquaman being somewhat low, but the cops treating him like s*** here makes no sense from any objective standpoint. He and Mera did far more than anyone else to fight the Trench off, so the cops condescending to Arthur and patronizingly promising to put in a good word to the press about his helping out strikes me as very forced and arbitrary. They seem to act that way solely because that's how Johns has decided people act toward Aquaman now. Anyway, we do get a few interesting tidbits here. Aquaman apparently had a normal, all-American childhood on the surface now (which I don't like, but it's not that big a deal), he had a run-in with some slightly twisted scientist called Stephen Shin that ended badly when Arthur refused to show him Atlantis, and his trident is apparently someone else's trident--someone who Shin warns will return to reclaim it at some point. That last point has me intrigued. Aquaman works best when he's got a cool relic or otherworldly aspect, like the water hand or, in this case, a trident that's more than just a pointy stick. I'm hoping it'll belong to someone cool, like Poseidon or Neptune or maybe even Ocean Master, but it doesn't seem to have any magical powers, which you'd kind of assume those characters' personal weapons would have. Then again, maybe Arthur considers its magic mojo something of a "big gun" that he doesn't whip out unless as a last resort. Interesting wrinkle either way; looking forward to more about that.

Wolverine and the X-Men: Sweet Jeebus, this is a fantastic comic. The second issue is even better than the first. Aaron is bringing such a wonderful energy to the X-Men; it's like he too sat around reading the X-Men comics Marvel's been putting out for the past 5 to 10 years and thought, "Man, remember when X-Men comics used to be fun?" Only he then got handed the assignment of writing one of those X-Men comics and endeavored to bring the fun back. And he's succeeded in spades. It works on all levels: the big picture, with the Hellfire kids doing everything in their power to bring the school down with crazy-ass s*** like an army of flamethrower-wielding Frankenstein monsters, down to the little character moments, like Broo instantly falling in love with Idie or Quentin Quire ending the issue totally content to see the school crash and burn. Great from start to finish. I'm so glad I stopped hating on the concept of Schism and decided to try this series after all.

Hellblazer 285

Constantine, Demons, The Mob and Family drama is the stuff Hellblazer is made off. I've personally felt Milligans Constantine has been a bit middle of the road. Its not bad but its not exactly amazing either. It feels like Peter Milligan is on autopilot writing this.

Anyway Johns possed trenchcoat continues causing trouble. John also helps out Gemma again after she does something dumb again. All rather so so.

Daken: Dark Wolverine

I like how this is tied into the west coast of the Marvel Universe The Pride and The Runaways.

Daken is cocky as hell and he got played how will Marvels resident bisexual Dexter Morgan/Patrick Bateman with claws respond before his title gets moth balled. Daken is obvously going to get his healing factor back and gut Marcus Roston who is ridiculously overpowered.

Last edited:
I wonder if I should bother with Wolverine & the X-Men. Everytime I pick up a seondary Wolverine book (Best There Is, Dark Wolverine) I drop it so quickly.

I wonder if I should bother with Wolverine & the X-Men. Everytime I pick up a seondary Wolverine book (Best There Is, Dark Wolverine) I drop it so quickly.
If you liked X-Men comics from the 90s/80s then I say its worth picking up. Its a fun book and Wolverine has been written alright so far

Wolverine and the X-Men isn't a secondary Wolverine book, it's a primary X-Men book. If you're looking at it primarily for Wolverine, look elsewhere. If you want a great, fun X-Men series, try it out.

Avengers Solo: Good read. It feels weird to see Hawkeye in his old costume now--maybe because I'm dreading when the new one eventually filters out of Avengers into all the comics. The story is a little scattershot toward the end of this issue, but I could still follow it. The Avengers Academy story was also good. West Coast Avengers clones! NOOOOOOOOwait a sec, where's the Scarlet Witch and Spider-Woman? Oh well, still fun.

Vengeance: Man, this mini is so trippy and unexpected yet so great as well. The new Teen Brigade is rather ingenious, as is Casey's use of the Young Masters. I'm glad he spent some time exploring the edges of order and chaos where the lines blur; the dueling opposites theme never really works for me without at least some mention of the gray area between them anymore. That's expressed here in the... um, interaction between the Ultimate Nullifier and Black Knight Lass (I refuse to call her just "the Black Knight" since Dane Whitman is still operating over in England with MI-13 until I see otherwise). Neither is quite as married to their side's ideology as they seem, to the extent that Black Knight Lass up and quits the Young Masters because she doesn't "feel like doing this anymore" all of a sudden. I'm not quite sure if that's a commentary on the universal search for identity in adolescence or the lack of ability to commit to a life course that every previous generation sees in the next one. It works for both, but the latter's a bit more cynical, so I'm inclined to go with the former; Casey's mini has revealed itself to be surprisingly optimistic at its core. But now I'm rambling. Suffice it to say that this series has a lot going on. If you're not reading it, I'd highly suggest picking it up as a trade when that comes out. It's just a damn good story on a number of levels. Nick Dragotta's art feels fresher and more energetic than usual in the series, too. I tended to think of him as something like a Kirby clone crossed with some cartoon influence, but his art's looking way better to me here. I don't know if that's because it's actually changed significantly or because the strength of Casey's writing elevating it. Either way, I like it.

Daken: Dark Wolverine

I like how this is tied into the west coast of the Marvel Universe The Pride and The Runaways.

Daken is cocky as hell and he got played how will Marvels resident bisexual Dexter Morgan/Patrick Bateman with claws respond before his title gets moth balled. Daken is obvously going to get his healing factor back and gut Marcus Roston who is ridiculously overpowered.

Daken has been cancelled. Marvel is giving Rob Williams some time to wrap up his stories.

As for WATXM - GOD DAMN this is a fun f***ing book! I think it may be time for those that once loved the X-Men but now hate them to come back. Aaron must lurk on these boards because in 2 issues, he's done positive things with a lot of the common complaints I've read here about the X-Men in recent years. Iceman, Kid Gladiator and Quentin were all awesome this issue. I'm really warming up to the Kindergarten Hellfire Club too. They threw everything including the kitchen sink at the school this issue. :up::up:

Smallest new comics week I've had in years. I had a buy list of 3 or 4 titles and tons of maybes in the Diamond List but I ended up only buying 2 new issues, 1 from last week X-23, and I got caught up on X-Factor. I was debating on selling my run but after looking through them and reading the last issue or two I had I decided that maybe I was going into it too negativel. It wasn't as bad as I remembered... so I thought I'd give it one more chance to pull me in fully. I bought the past 5 or 6 issues (and passed on several other things to make room for them) and I'll start reading them tonight. I also wanted to get back issues of Venom but didn't have the cash. Next week is rediculously small also so maybe I'll do it then, though they only have issues 4, 5, and 8 at my shop.

Worth noting... I passed up Annihilators: Earthfall this week. I didn't like any of the first mini and didn't much care for the first two issues of this one and after skimming this newest issue I just shrugged again. Why am I wasting my money on books I don't like because I like the genre? X-Men is one thing due to my 20 years of reading it. Cosmic I've only been reading since Annihilation and the characters I read it for are all gone or not being focused on (save Rocket and Groot). I finally decided to just leave it behind and maybe I'll pick it up on a slower week.

Anyhow, the two I did get:

Wolverine & the X-Men #2 - Yeah, of the two this is easily the Best of the Week. I roll my eyes when people say they lol'd because you know they really didn't... it's just a saying... but dagnabbit I really lol'd about three times while reading this book. And FINALLY! Iceman uses some of his potential. He's done stuff on this level before (Austen's run if I'm not mistaken) but it was quickly forgotten. It's good to see his growing strength amounting to more... and then his kiss with Kitty... yes! I also like how central Aaron is making the students. And what imagination these Hellfire Club kids have! I didn't like them in Schism but they're growing on me.

Bachelo's art is always either hit or miss and while the first issue's art was spot on it wasn't quite as clean this issue but it was acceptable. There's one title specifically where I have no idea what is happening there. I think Husk kinda husked into a Chamber sort of deal but I'm not sure.

Other than that though... good issue.

Justice League Dark #3 - This series is picking up... which is good. It was horribly slow the first issue, though it had enough to keep me buying, it's starting to get real interesting now. The players are coming together and Enchantress is sorta freaking me out. I'm definately on board for the time being. I'm just hoping we get a Spectre story soon. This would be the best book for it in my opinion.

My darn shop was missing a box, and now I have to wait until (hopefully) Friday to get most every book you guys have reviewed. I did have to come on and say how much I am hating Avengers Solo. I've never been a fan of Hawkeye's solo stories, and this is feeling like the worst. I couldn't even get through this issue yet. I read about half of the Hawkeye story, and realized I was so bored, I had no idea what was going on ... and I didn't care.

I can't believe Marvel cancelled some better books, like All Winners ... and, yet, they keep trying to shove Hawkeye books down my throat. Heck, the best part of his last series was Mockingbird; and, now, thanks to freakin' Bendis, she's been completely removed from the equation.

Well, I bought Fantastic Four #600... my first Fanatstic Four purchase since issue #417 (the last issue prior to Heroes Reborn)..

It was decent... I enjoyed the "what's been happening to Johnny flashbacks" more than the rest... even though I own them, I'm about 6 months behind on FF, so I have no clue as to what's happening... I'll probably get parts 2 to 4 for the story... but I cansee myself dropping both books in the new year...

It's just not working for me... :o

I also got Justice League Dark, HellBlazer, Secret Avengers & Batmn: the Dark Knight... I've not read these ones yet...

After getting caught up on X-Factor I'm glad I did. I think what it is for me is that monthly issues bore me but as a continuous read I like it better. I'm getting very bored of the supernatural/demonic angle though. I liked it back when it was more Mutant friendly or at least regular cases with twists (like the J.J.J. arc). The Strong Guy plot has me the most intrigued.

I love that X-Factor's got links to the larger Marvel universe. X-Men comics in general tend to get really insular and overly mutant-centric, it seems.

See, I do too... but they aren't connecting to much that I'm overly interested in. The FF/Doom arc was decent. The Asgard arc did absolutely nothing for me and was the first time I dropped it. I liked the idea of Pip being involved but after that first issue he's been a non-factor and useless. Spider-Man was cool for one issue then he was gone and we got Black Cat, who I don't care so much about. J. Jonah Jameson was cool though. Then we got Werewolf by Night, who I have negative interest in. I do like that they have ties to the larger Marvel Universe and it honestly doesn't feel forced like in adjectiveless X-Men, but David's just hitting all the areas I don't care so much about.

I did like the small interaction in Children's Crusade but it was a small thing and was tied up very quickly.

With Thanksgiving dinner and comics digested, onto some spoiler stuffing!

DREAD'S BOUGHT/THOUGHT FOR 11/23/11:

INVINCIBLE #85: After running months behind schedule, this iconic Image series by writer Robert Kirkman actually ships twice a month; the first issue was on November 2nd. This issue and the next have the rare pleasure of being drawn by series co-creator Cory Walker, who left regular art duties on the series way back after issue #7. He has drawn a couple of issues a year or two back before, and with this run, he will come close to finally drawing twelve whole issues of the title he helped launch back in 2003. As seems to be the usual for Walker drawn stories, this takes place in space as a "meanwhile" to the action on Earth. Thus, it focuses on the characters set exclusively in space, which is Allen (the alien), Nolan/Omni-Man, and others. Nolan's second son Oliver has recovered from injuries suffered 5-6 issues ago during THE VILTRUMITE WAR, and Nolan has reconciled with his estranged wife Debra (Invincible's mom). Half the issue is played for laughs as Kirkman continues on his meme about oversexed couples and the awkwardness they spread around others. Given that Nolan had lied to Debra for almost 20 years of marriage and attacked the earth the last time she saw him, it does seem very awkward that they're back to a lustful teenage stage. Debra slowly trying to forgive and accept the "new" Nolan is one thing; her seeming passionately in love with him again borders on too much, too soon. Less awkward bits involve Oliver learning that not all planets need superheroes and Allen having a difficult choice to make as leader of the "Coalition of Planets". Walker's artwork is, as always, exceptional. His style has improved and matured a great deal since 2003, yet he still retains his old trademarked style of illustration which makes his panels both complicated and simple. Emotions are conveyed with simple lines, while his backgrounds and character details are often extensive. With Invincible changing his operations back on earth, INVINCIBLE is a series which never rests on a status quo for long - only unlike most "big two" comics, it is to satisfy the whims and plans of its creator as opposed to market research. As always, INVINCIBLE remains an engaging superhero read.

ANNIHILATORS: EARTHFALL #3: This is the penultimate issue of this latest in the line of “Marvel Cosmic” mini-series by writers Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning, who have been involved with such things since 2006 (and have helmed them mostly alone since 2007). Much as with the previous mini series, the lead story features the ANNIHILATORS team as drawn by Tan Eng Huat, with a Rocket Raccoon & Groot back-up strip drawn by Timothy Green II. While these writers have written many quality stories in NOVA, GUARDIANS OF THE GALAXY and the just canceled HEROES FOR HIRE, their work on ANNIHILATORS material is a bit lacking. That doesn’t make it bad, but it reminds me of some of their work in ANNIHILATION: CONQUEST in that they seem to be dealing with a cast they don’t have as much passion or a handle on. The premise of ANNIHILATORS is that the most powerful space heroes left in the galaxy assemble to tackle big threats when they arise. The last mini-series was bogged down by the often stiff and boring Silver Surfer, and this sequel series lacks that problem. However, it often feels as if the series is starring a cast of character sheets and stat points than actual characters. There is often more focus in laying out the threat as well as in battle than on much interaction beyond in-battle chatter. Quasar, Gladiator, Ronan, Beta Ray Bill, and Ikon (a new female Spaceknight introduced in the previous series) have stumbled onto the Universal Church of Truth’s plot to revive the dreaded villain Magus. This has led them to Earth, which brings about some moral conflicts within Quasar as well as a physical conflict with the Avengers. By this chapter, the heroes have all stopped fighting, but it seems too late as the Magus has revived – within the bodies of about a dozen children.

The Avengers are aware of how dangerous a threat the Magus is, having been involved in events triggered by the villain in the 90’s such as INFINITY CRUSADE and so on. The biggest dilemma for Quasar has been trying to defeat a threat to the universe while showing tact for his home planet, which is something which his team mates grouse at him about. The most militant is Ronan, of the warrior Kree race who is quick to sacrifice civilians, even children, for a greater cause. As the heroes bicker about tactics and whatnot, the Magus kids spread their energy around, so now 30% of the U.S. population is host to a cosmic threat. While the Annihilators and Avengers work together to try to reverse the process, Ronan unleashes Sentry robots and states in no uncertain terms he will raze the earth to save the universe. This comes close to events that are happening in this week’s FANTASTIC FOUR #600, where a Kree fleet assaults the earth there, too. There is a bit of action when some Universal Church war-ships and aliens show up, but it all seems fairly routine. There are so many characters involved that it becomes a by-the-numbers superhero crisis, which is a difficult way to rise from the pack.

The Rocket & Groot strip is, as often, more memorable than the main strip. The two are still caught in Mojoworld being sent through no end of bizarre situations for the amusement of Mojo. The funniest bit is mocking Marvel’s own action figure variants, with false Rocket toys and a ”build-a-Groot” system. Plus, few strips make notable use of a sentient package scanner, but this one has one serve as an actual character. There is more humor and heart in the Rocket strips than usually arise in the ANNIHILATORS stuff.
Nova – whether the deceased Richard Rider or someone new – appeared in POINT ONE #1 and will likely be part of Marvel’s Phoenix related event in 2012. Whether Abnett and Lanning will have anything to do with that remains to be seen. Overall, ANNIHILATORS: EARTHFALL isn’t bad, but it is far from their best.

ALPHA FLIGHT #6: This limited series was once an ongoing, but is now a limited series again, at least in terms of Marvel strategy. At any rate, writers Greg Pak and Fred Van Lente team with artist Dale Englesham to produce another amusing and action packed revision of Marvel's long maligned superhero team up north. Alpha Flight continues to stage their rebellion against the Unity Party which has taken over Canada, which has their old nemesis The Master Of The World as its head. The team manage to rescue Northstar's lover Kyle Jinadu, who seems hopelessly brainwashed - only there is more to him that it seems. The Master relates his origin to Heather Hudson's daughter, and one cannot help but see how similar he is to DC's Vandal Savage, only with a far more gaudy name. He's a caveman from thousands of years ago who was remade into an immortal being by aliens who now has delusions of conquest. The issue ends promising an obligatory guest-appearance by Wolverine next month. Englesham's artwork is exceptional, and Pak and Van Lente keep the one-liners fast and furious despite doing a "rebel against the fascists" storyline. The pair have done great work to remake Marrina, and have made her a far more memorable and engaging heroine. The biggest downside remains Heather's role as the Master's most devoted follower; while she is being brainwashed, she seems to relish trying to destroy her former teammates. It seems like an unnatural story ploy to help elevate her (often deceased) husband Mac into a larger role. While this is not a series that had enough sales to warrant an ongoing after all, it is proving to be a very enjoyable mini-series centered around a franchise Marvel left for dead in 2005.

FANTASTIC FOUR #600: The numbering, as always with Marvel Comics titles, needs some explaining. Technically FANTASTIC FOUR ended last year with issue #588, the "funeral of Johnny Storm" issue. After which it was replaced by FF (which stood for Future Foundation), which carried on with the same writer (Jonathan Hickman) continuing the run on the franchise he had started in the FANTASTIC FOUR: DARK REIGN mini series and had furthered on the primary title for over a year. However, those twelve issues of FF that shipped have now been counted as part of FANTASTIC FOUR's total, bringing it up to issue 600 fairly legitimately. Several other Marvel titles have reached triple digits, but often by including anthology issues that were printed prior to said character "taking over" the book in the 60's (as was the case with Captain America, Thor and Hulk), or due to the series double-shipping at various periods (as was the case with Amazing Spider-Man). Does this mean the series is back as FANTASTIC FOUR? No. While this is very much the issue after FF #11, and it will continue with issue #601 next month, FF #12 goes on sale next week. It is Marvel's sneaky way of giving Hickman a second FF/FANTASTIC FOUR series without selling it as a new #1. The cover price is $7.99, which will drop more than one jaw, and the cover boasts 100 pages. THUNDRBOLTS #150, which was sold at roughly $4.99, boasted about over 80 pages, which over 40 of them being a reprint from the late 90's. This issue, in fairness, lives up to the cover boast. There are five ad pages and the rest is pure new art and story from cover to cover. Hickman writes five inter connected stories, with a different art team attached to each one.

The first two stories provide the real "meat" of the issue and are the segments which will generate the most buzz online. The first installment is by regular artist Steve Epting, alongside colorist Paul Mounts, and picks up from where FF #11 left off. Essentially, Reed Richard's idea to counter a squad of evil versions of himself with a cabal of his own deadliest villains backfired, so he has turned to his own heroic allies for aid. This happens at the same time as various long term subplots start to come to a head at once - a war among various civilizations. A Kree armada sent by the restored Supreme Intelligence gets things off with a bang, and the Foundation alongside the Avengers, X-Men, and other spare heroes have to spend time protecting NYC and punching spaceships and aliens about. The new Supreme Intelligence is out to destroy Inhumans, at any cost. Meanwhile, Annihilus' insect hordes from the Negative Zone, who have formed a cult on Earth, stage yet another attack on the Baxtor Building to open their portal to the "positive matter universe". All this as the Inhumans also make a course towards earth and Dr. Doom's country of Lavteria is unlikely to remain stable for long. There is a lot of action and no end of character cameos. The best bits involve Invisible Woman displaying her leadership credentials, Spider-Man getting serious, and Thing and She-Hulk teaming up to defend SoHo. The end of this chapter provides quite an effective cliffhanger, which the second story explains. The action is effective, although can feel like a routine summer blockbuster film by this stage; Epting's artwork is also lovely as always.

One can't really review this story without giving the spoiler away; in fairness, Newsarama (http://www.newsarama.com/comics/character-return-fantastic-four-600-111123.html) and Comic Book Resources (http://www.comicbookresources.com/?page=article&id=35603) have already done so. Johnny Storm/Human Torch - who was killed off in January amid a lot of press attention - is officially back from the grave ten months later. In fairness, his death scene in FANTASTIC FOUR #687 was very ambiguous; the lack of a corpse has been a tell tale sign that a death isn't real since old Republic Serials of the 1940's. This chapter is drawn by Carmine Di Giandomenico with colors by Andy Troy, and explains how Johnny survived. The best bits involve more of Hickman's interesting sci-fi innovations to the Four's universe. Apparently in the Negative Zone, "death" is the stage all "life" has to undergo to exist, and thus few things in the Zone can truly die. Thus, Johnny ends up being rebuilt by Annihilus' worms as the bug lord hopes to one day get him to open the Baxtor Building's portal on the Zone's end. The less effective bits are parts where Johnny falls into a gladiator pen with some spare Inhumans, which reads very much like a poor man's PLANET HULK (or, naturally, "SPARTICUS"). Having Johnny Storm rise from gladiator to warrior king of an alien zone is a very awkward position for him; he is a character who has historically been written as an immature fop or comic relief. In some ways it almost reads like a very awkward and crude attempt to make Johnny "kewl", only without the typical trappings of leather and metal spikes - even if he does have scary looking body parts now. Alien grafted limbs are the new cybernetic parts, perhaps. It is difficult to know how Hickman will pull this off, however, until additional issues come.

The other three stories are shorter and less memorable. One strip covers Medusa coming to grips with Black Bolt having more Inhuman wives as part of their species' "Chosen One" against the Kree, as drawn by Ming Doyle. The next has Reed and Sue meet with Galactus for some exposition on the moon, as drawn by Lenil Francis Yu. The final strip is a fun tale of Leech and Franklin Richards having fun on the pocket universe Franklin created in his closet with his reborn "reality warping" powers, as drawn by Farel Dalrymple. The art style is closer to something "indie" than anything else, and fits the tone very well. It is perhaps wise to end the issue on a humorous note.

Overall, despite the hefty cover price, the reader does get several issues worth of story pages. This issue will be the talk of the week for Marvel fans, and perhaps deserves to be so. It offers a lot of action and imaginative ideas, and lays the foundation for the next year of Hickman's run on this series. Whether it is worth investing in a second title - and whether the Four as a franchise can actually support two titles for the firs time in their history - are questions for another week.

While I want to feel interested in Fantastic Four I just can't because of this one issue alone. First off is the rediculous price. Yes, people will say it's worth it for the page count but I'd rather have full priced comics broken up over a few months. It's easier to afford that way despite spending more in the long run. Also, in order to follow the story now you're forced to buy two books instead of one for the foreseeable future. And primarilly... Johnny dies and the title is relaunched as FF. What did every single one of us say would happen? Johnny returns and the title is brought up to an overpriced issue 600... and that's exactly what's happened. The only surprise was the continuation of FF to suck more money out of fans.

The whole plot sounds amazing but the behind the scenes planning of it all just turns me off on it. It's this kind of predictable greediness that makes me hate Marvel as a company.

Well, what you call sucking the money out of the fans in regards to two FF titles I call Fantastic ! Hickman is one of my favorite writers, I luv the characters and the two comics will follow two similar but different plot lines that will be concluded over the next few months.

Well, I bought Fantastic Four #600... my first Fanatstic Four purchase since issue #417 (the last issue prior to Heroes Reborn)..

It was decent... I enjoyed the "what's been happening to Johnny flashbacks" more than the rest... even though I own them, I'm about 6 months behind on FF, so I have no clue as to what's happening... I'll probably get parts 2 to 4 for the story... but I cansee myself dropping both books in the new year...

It's just not working for me... :o

Dude, I've been reading FF ever since Spidey joined and I still don't know what the heck is going on! All these kids and all this way-out wacko stuff confuses the heck out of me. But, if Johnny returns and Spidey leaves, I'll be leaving as well.

Whether it is worth investing in a second title - and whether the Four as a franchise can actually support two titles for the firs time in their history - are questions for another week.

Actually Fantastic Four has had several ongoings going on at the same time as the flagship title. Fantastic Force, the Thing (two ongoings), the Human Torch, Marvel Knights 4, FF, plus Fantastic Four books in Marvel's other imprints such as Marvel Adventures and Ultimate Marvel.

The answer is no. They cannot support more than two titles.

Well, what you call sucking the money out of the fans in regards to two FF titles I call Fantastic ! Hickman is one of my favorite writers, I luv the characters and the two comics will follow two similar but different plot lines that will be concluded over the next few months.

I wouldn't normally call a second book that seems different from the original as sucking money but the fact that you need to read both to get the story is sucking in my opinion. I'm glad that two books appeal to you and I hope you really enjoy them but it's a big turn off for me. I just wish Marvel would embrace the old mentality of a book being self sufficient and not part of a genre or a larger story. Just write a dang comic that people can jump into by itself.

While I want to feel interested in Fantastic Four I just can't because of this one issue alone. First off is the rediculous price. Yes, people will say it's worth it for the page count but I'd rather have full priced comics broken up over a few months. It's easier to afford that way despite spending more in the long run. Also, in order to follow the story now you're forced to buy two books instead of one for the foreseeable future. And primarilly... Johnny dies and the title is relaunched as FF. What did every single one of us say would happen? Johnny returns and the title is brought up to an overpriced issue 600... and that's exactly what's happened. The only surprise was the continuation of FF to suck more money out of fans.

The whole plot sounds amazing but the behind the scenes planning of it all just turns me off on it. It's this kind of predictable greediness that makes me hate Marvel as a company.

I totally see your point. Marvel telegraphed this move about as bluntly as a Megaman boss' pattern and that predictability is becoming unnerving.

I've been aboard Fantastic Four since the JMS run and even I am questioning how far or long I will support it across 2 books. I'll get FF #12 but after that...sheesh.

Yeah, I'm being suckered and drained by my long time love of X-Men and my enjoyment of many of the Avengers characters. I can't start it up with Fantastic Four too.

Dude, I've been reading FF ever since Spidey joined and I still don't know what the heck is going on! All these kids and all this way-out wacko stuff confuses the heck out of me. But, if Johnny returns and Spidey leaves, I'll be leaving as well.

Well, that makes me feel a lot less stupid... so, uhh, thanks... :woot:

I agree... if Spidey leaves the book, I'll be dropping them both... I have no interest in Power Pack and the Dragon Man...

Yeah, I need to trim my pick-up's, so it would help if Spidey leaves (not that I don't like his team-up's with the actual Fantastic Four). I was all set to drop the main Avengers when I saw Spidey was not on the main team anymore (and it seems JR JR left). (I thought it was cute when Spidey made a comment that he & Wolverine were "used." :woot:)

But, then they brought out Osborn at the end, so I guess I'll still be picking it up for the time being.

I wouldn't normally call a second book that seems different from the original as sucking money but the fact that you need to read both to get the story is sucking in my opinion. I'm glad that two books appeal to you and I hope you really enjoy them but it's a big turn off for me. I just wish Marvel would embrace the old mentality of a book being self sufficient and not part of a genre or a larger story. Just write a dang comic that people can jump into by itself.

Well, I can see your point that having to read/buy the two titles to get the complete story. It will be interesting to see after the different story lines are completed (maybe after the arc Forever) if the two titles will have more or less independent stories.

See, I do too... but they aren't connecting to much that I'm overly interested in. The FF/Doom arc was decent. The Asgard arc did absolutely nothing for me and was the first time I dropped it. I liked the idea of Pip being involved but after that first issue he's been a non-factor and useless. Spider-Man was cool for one issue then he was gone and we got Black Cat, who I don't care so much about. J. Jonah Jameson was cool though. Then we got Werewolf by Night, who I have negative interest in. I do like that they have ties to the larger Marvel Universe and it honestly doesn't feel forced like in adjectiveless X-Men, but David's just hitting all the areas I don't care so much about.

I did like the small interaction in Children's Crusade but it was a small thing and was tied up very quickly.
I guess it depends on individual tastes. I happen to love a lot of what David's touching on. The straight superhero story with the FF served as a return to the larger Marvel universe for X-Factor to me, and then David recast them as the team that deals with the weird, fringe elements--things that hover near the mainstream but haven't traditionally taken hold as major parts of it. Fantasy, mythology, cosmic, and horror, all organically intertwined with or emerging from personal conflicts between the characters, who very much have that family dynamic that the main X-teams lacked for the past few years (until WatXM). It's pretty much pitch-perfect for my tastes.

I've gotten through quite a few books this week; but, just haven't felt inspired to sit down and write about them. The focus is on Johnny Storm's return (rather quickly .... but, that's the way Marvel does it nowadays); but, I see nobody mentioned the possible return of Nightcrawler in the pages of Astonishing X-Men.

Yep, it seems like they are going to bring him back; but, it will be some alternate Earth/younger version. We got a brief glimpse of him in the final pages of this recent issue; but, he's featured on the next issue's cover.

Speaking of covers, how lousy of Marvel to ruin the last page of Daken by having it be the cover. It boasts the return of the Runaways; yet, that only is revealed with the final page. I HATE when a comic does that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"