BOUGHT/THOUGHT for Wednesday, February 14th

Moon Knight #7:So, I've never really been into it, but I was in the grocery store, and they, for some reason, carry "Moon Knight" with all the more mainstream titles, so I was like "eh, why not", and picked it up. It's the Civil War supposed tie-in, and I think it may, in the long run, be a decent read. For now, the art tries really hard to look gritty, and there's a lot of swearing, which means they're going for a bit more Punisher than Batman now, but it's readable. Too bad I have no idea what's going on with the plot, but I'll figure it out eventually. 7/10

Just a few more thoughts:

Ghost Rider Movie: I guess Marvel has decided to stop making comic adaptations of their movies. I thought it might be one of the most disappointing Marvel adaptations to come to the big screen. (Not the worst Marvel movie, though. In the last few years since the original Blade movie came out, I think Man-Thing might be the absolute worst.) It could be argued Elektra is worse...but, I found I enjoyed Daredevil more. That just made the movie waaaay too campy and cheesy. (SMALL SPOILER ALERT) Plus, when someone changes near the end of the movie for one final time and rides across the desert on horseback, it just seemed a waste of a cool idea. He can change one final time, and he uses it to ride to town but not help in fighting? Lame. Plus, I thought the villians were defeated way to easy, and the actor who played Blackheart really didn't fit the role. 5/10

Now, I had a previous review of Astonishing X-Men, and I see I'm one of the rare people who wasn't bowled over by this recent issue...or issues in the past. Newsarama had a review of the comic, and the reviewer really put down into words what makes me hesitant about liking the comic. I'll reprint it here, I think it really captures what's wrong with Weadon's work on it.

This book has a strange effect on me. I enjoy reading it and I am always happy to see the debut of the current issue but sadly when I finish reading each issue I am slightly disappointed. I’m not even certain how to explain the emptiness I feel after I finish each issue of “AX”, as I like to call it. But for the sake of reviewing the newest issue—which I have mixed feelings about—I will try.

Don’t get me wrong here; Joss Whedon is by far one of the most competent storytellers in the comic book industry. His knowledge of television scripting is a perfect fit for the serialized nature of the comic book; however, I think this might also be a terrible weakness as well. Astonishing X-Men has a writer who uses his artist, the stylishly smart John Cassaday too well. Granted, comic books are primarily a visual medium—I find myself feeling “cheated” textually. I almost want to ask, “Where’s the beef?” I mean, I get the panel to panel internal storytelling—certainly pages 1 and 2 are easily noticeable moments of what I’m talking about—Kitty looking oddly at Peter’s hand on her shoulder; then, as the moment of danger heightens her hand finds his silently. It’s great but these books—because of their dramatic overtures (something that probably comes from Whedon’s background) and the fact that John Cassaday’s work, albeit effortlessly gorgeous can seem stunted with a stiffness that negates any kind of kinetic energy.

It’s just the fact that I only count about 14 or 15 actual panels that denote any kind of movement beyond simple walking in the entire book.

In terms of story content, the book is fantastic—this isn’t one of the standard arcs of X-Men that includes a convoluted obligatory match-up verses a standard villainous threat. In fact, this mission into space leads straight to a strange destination where the odds are stacked against the X-Men and the mystery surrounding Colossus’ return and hailing as a bringer of genocide to a race of aliens is unfolding well. Agent Brand and SWORD are nice additions to the X-mythos—although, they haven’t been recognized by the rest of the Marvel Universe yet. Breakworld has quite the opposite effect on my sensibilities however. It seems very generic and yet mysteriously specific all at the same time. Of all the planets in the entire universe, Colossus of the X-Men from Earth is tied to an ancient prophecy foretelling the downfall of their race? What are the odds? Is Breakworld tied to Earth somehow? I need more info.

The issue’s heart seemed to focus more on Wolverine’s “Humbert Humbert” gaining a new “Lolita” in the form of the newly christened “Armor”—Hisako Ichiki. Maybe I’m looking too deeply into this but again already?!? They need to let Wolverine meet girls his own age—oh, wait, they are all dead.

Simply put: this reader needs more “textual” storytelling from Joss Whedon. I love the immediate story that is covered scenically from panel to panel and page to page. The thickest moments of dialogue took place between Wolverine and Armor and the asides featuring Powerlord Kruun addressing Ord and denizens of Breakworld. The magnitude of this story, its gravity bears further scrutiny. I’m hungry for more. I need more or this whole story just seems kind of two dimensional. I could just be the victim of a great story that has a painful amount of shipping time between release dates, perhaps.

Getting back to John Cassaday—he has easily created another iconic version of the X-Men, his work reminds me distantly of John Byrne’s work during the Uncanny X-Men shortly after the Phoenix Saga, Byrne and Cassaday both have a certain “heavy” quality that I enjoy. The difference between the two is that Cassaday’s work is slyly intricate in its frame by frame sense of symmetry. His pages are clean and seemingly focused upon facial expressions—some of which almost start to look too similar, kind of like Star Trek The Motion Picture and it’s endless streams of close-ups. I can overlook the similarities in features between some of the characters when looking at this issue as a whole—it’s really beautiful—lots of great moments of cinematic quality images. Again, there are moments where I want more, namely the fight involving Kitty, Colossus and a dozen Breakworld soldiers who get the beating of a lifetime—we know it’s a decent fight but we are only privy to it for 2 panels. I almost want to pout. Since Colossus’ return—we haven’t really seen Cassaday “cut loose” with him…yet.

Of all the stories Whedon has written with Cassaday for the X-universe, this one seems to be the most ambitious. I look forward to the next issue in fact; I have a Pavlov-ian slobber almost curling off my lips onto my comic books. Patience tells me that this book will have a really nice pay off come time for this story’s fruition.

Too bad I can't put into words a comic review like that. Oh well, we can't all be like Dread. A few quick reviews below.

Justice Society of America #3: I think Justice League and Justice Society have been two of the best relaunched titles to come out of DC. I loved this issue, and it was great to see Vandal Savage again. The only thing that diminishes this book is that with so many characters, a new reader would be very lost. DC is really for faithful readers. Those of us who have followed JSA are really being rewarded with a great comic. And, the more I pick up back issues of some new DC favorites, I'm noticing it seems like a never-ending quest. I love Checkmate; so, I now have all of Checkmates first volume. I started reading it this weekend, and discover if I want to learn more, I have to pick up issues 1-50 of Vigilante and a 4-issue miniseries called Peacemaker. I'm wondering after I get those if I'll have to pick up even more preceeding comics. 10/10

Martian Manhunter #7: This miniseries has been a rather big disappointment; but, quite a few of DC's recent miniseries haven't been that good, either. I'm thinking of titles like Ion (started out decent, but the second half has bored me so far), Trials of Shazam (I gave up on this title after issue #3), and Omac (gave up after two issues). The reveal that the green Martians were actually white Martians wasn't too hard to figure out. After all, he was warned that the Martians weren't what they seemed in issue #1. Basically, we have a 4-issue miniseries being stretched out to 8 issues. 6/10

Tales of the Unexpected #5: This is a more decent miniseries (although, the best mini to come from DC has to be Uncle Sam and the Freedom Fighters. After reading recommendations, I picked it up and have loved every issue.); and, I really like the main character, The Spectre. While there is an ongoing side storyline about the apartment complex, each issue does focus on a main story of someone who must pay for their crimes against humanity. The other story features Dr. 13, and at first I couldn't stand it. But, it's grown on me, and I find it's got some great humor. I'm almost enjoying it more than the main Spectre story. 7/10

wow.

i was expecting (and hoping for), "no those movies were abominations, and ghost rider is nowhere near that level of garbage."

and to think, you have such great taste in comics. :cwink:

This reminds me of jaydawg being astonished that I liked ULTIMATE AVENGERS at all.

I expect less from movies than I do from comics. They have to work on their own terms and at least be enjoyable. So long as I don't leave the theatre angry, I'm good. I also have a soft spot for dark heroes, although GHOST RIDER is rather light aside for the GR parts. Out of 4 stars I'd give it 2; on a scale of 1-10 I'd give it a 6.

Better get used to people whose tastes vary in life. ;) I'm sure you like something I don't that doesn't "fit your character" somewhere. If you are going into see GHOST RIDER expecting SPIDER-MAN or BATMAN BEGINS, then it's garbage. If you want an enjoyable popcorn flick that totally nails the look, sound, and Penance Stare of the hero, then you'll be pleased. We've become so bombarded by Marvel films since 1998 that our expectations sometimes can become ridiculous. That said, I disliked X-MEN 3. Why? Expectations were high. You can't go into every work with the same expectations. You expect more from some things and less from others. It's like my expectations are higher for an episode of JLU than for an episode of LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES. That said, GHOST RIDER can easily be topped by a more competant sequal, and if it doesn't, THEN I will be irked.

But how was Nick Cage?

He played Johnny Blaze as very neurotic man although he was saddled with some ungodly cheesy lines. Rumor has it that Cage urged the writers to add some "naunce" to Blaze to make him more than a drinking biker, but the result in a way made Blaze seem a little corny, as he sips jellybeans from a wine-glass. I can tell that Cage is a fan of the comic and probably is enjoying the role, but that sometimes can be a bad thing. That said, he goes NUTS with the transformation sequences and barely needs any CGI to handle what a horrid shift it is from man to demon.

Once Ghost Rider himself is on screen, though, stuff kicks butt.

This reminds me of jaydawg being astonished that I liked ULTIMATE AVENGERS at all.

I expect less from movies than I do from comics. They have to work on their own terms and at least be enjoyable. So long as I don't leave the theatre angry, I'm good. I also have a soft spot for dark heroes, although GHOST RIDER is rather light aside for the GR parts.

Better get used to people whose tastes vary in life. ;) I'm sure you like something I don't that doesn't "fit your character" somewhere. If you are going into see GHOST RIDER expecting SPIDER-MAN or BATMAN BEGINS, then it's garbage. If you want an enjoyable popcorn flick that totally nails the look, sound, and Penance Stare of the hero, then you'll be pleased. We've become so bombarded by Marvel films since 1998 that our expectations sometimes can become ridiculous. That said, I disliked X-MEN 3. Why? Expectations were high. You can't go into every work with the same expectations. You expect more from some things and less from others. It's like my expectations are higher for an episode of JLU than for an episode of LEGION OF SUPER-HEROES. That said, GHOST RIDER can easily be topped by a more competant sequal, and if it doesn't, THEN I will be irked.

some things i can take for what they are. the recent iron man animated movie is a good example. i decided to just sit back, and watch the thing with no expectations (i have yet to watch either ultimate avengers flicks), and i found that i really enjoyed it.

big budget hollywood movies are something different, for me. i see them as a chance to present the character to the world, if you will. the spider-man movies have done that very well, as did batman begins. the x-men movies (excluding x3) were something different, but the captured the overall spirit of the comic book. i look at it like this: people buy comic books for a reason. they're fun and entertaining. and the reasons they're entertaining for us are probably going to translate well into being reasons for the mass public to enjoy. why make changes?

that's why i could not stand daredevil, elektra or the punisher (tampa??). for me at least, they didn't represent what i like about those characters.

and having a line thrown in a movie that's lifted out a specific issue is not enough for me to get excited.

alright, that's enough of my rant about marvel movies.

some things i can take for what they are. the recent iron man animated movie is a good example. i decided to just sit back, and watch the thing with no expectations (i have yet to watch either ultimate avengers flicks), and i found that i really enjoyed it.

big budget hollywood movies are something different, for me. i see them as a chance to present the character to the world, if you will. the spider-man movies have done that very well, as did batman begins. the x-men movies (excluding x3) were something different, but the captured the overall spirit of the comic book. i look at as this: people buy comic books for a reason. they're fun and entertaining. and the reasons they're entertaining for us are probably going to translate well into being reasons for the mass public to enjoy. why make changes?

that's why i could not stand daredevil, elektra or the punisher (tampa??). for me at least, they didn't represent what i like about those characters.

and having a line thrown in a movie that's lifted out a specific issue is not enough for me to excited.

alright, that's enough of my rant about marvel movies.

I understand that rant and where you are coming from. As for INVINCIBLE IRON MAN, I found it a but underwhelming but I didn't hate it. Unlike a movie, a DTV is free from having to appease studio hacks. Half the reason the WATCHMEN film is having pre production hell, I am told, is because the big studios want another brainless team blockbuster and WATCHMEN is not that.

That said, GHOST RIDER is fairly accurate to the origin; they cleaned up some bits such as eliminating "Crash" Simpson so Blaze isn't romantically involved with an adopted stepsister (because that is creepy), but they stayed faithful enough, especially if you look at some of the 70's comics that had some cheese appeal. I mean it was "Marvel Horror" but they also had to appease a Comics Code of Authority. They also didn't have an awkward fight scene in a park like DD had. You may not like it if you don't sit back with it like IIM. At the end Blaze comes off as a man who got stuck with a curse for all the right seasons (wanting to save his father) and ends up managing to do some good with it, despite how damned scary it is (he calls the Ghost Rider a "monster" at least twice).

I actually liked Ghost Rider. It was so funny. It wasn't intentionally funny, but it somehow managed to be so anyway:p. Seriously, go into the theater with a bunch of friends and absolutely no expectations at all and be prepared to have a good time.

This isn't one of those movies you can go in with nerd rage logic in full blast and still enjoy, unfortunately. How in the hell exactly did [blackout]him killing any of those nephlihim make any sense at all?[/blackout] I mean seriously, [blackout]a spinning vortex?[/blackout] Why the poop did [blackout]he get arrested, anyway? Does the penitentiary system in Texas exist on Bizarro Logic that it just randomly picks up one charred license plate amongst the fifty or so charred license plates on-scene and declares that it's responsible?[/blackout] And so on and so forth. Is it a good movie? Hell to the naw! But you might like it anyway:p!

And oh Christ, Blackheart. It's worth the 7 dollars just to see the single most hilariously overdone villain in the history of cinema. "Your Penance Stare will not work on me!!!"

I actually liked Ghost Rider. It was so funny. It wasn't intentionally funny, but it somehow managed to be so anyway:p. Seriously, go into the theater with a bunch of friends and absolutely no expectations at all and be prepared to have a good time.

This isn't one of those movies you can go in with nerd rage logic in full blast and still enjoy, unfortunately. How in the hell exactly did [blackout]him killing any of those nephlihim make any sense at all?[/blackout] I mean seriously, [blackout]a spinning vortex?[/blackout] Why the poop did [blackout]he get arrested, anyway? Does the penitentiary system in Texas exist on Bizarro Logic that it just randomly picks up one charred license plate amongst the fifty or so charred license plates on-scene and declares that it's responsible?[/blackout] And so on and so forth. Is it a good movie? Hell to the naw! But you might like it anyway:p!

And oh Christ, Blackheart. It's worth the 7 dollars just to see the single most hilariously overdone villain in the history of cinema. "Your Penance Stare will not work on me!!!"

He looked like Eddie Munster: the College Years.

Good take on it.

sounds to me like this is one for the cheap seats, or a weeknight dvd rental.

plus, where the **** are you guys seeing movies at for $7?!

sounds to me like this is one for the cheap seats, or a weeknight dvd rental.

plus, where the **** are you guys seeing movies at for $7?!

The theater where I live has early morning showings on Saturday, Sunday, and Holidays that start anywhere from 10:00-11:00 am. They only charge $4.00 per person, and my son and I try to see a movie there on Saturday each week. So, my and the boy paid only $8.00 to see the movie together. It was worth that price; but, not much more. (Plus, since Roxanne and Johnny are suppose to be the same age at the beginning of the movie, it's still shows the Hollywood double-standard of trying to get someone of Nick Cage's age (43) hooking up with Evan Mendes (28).)

I actually liked Ghost Rider. It was so funny. It wasn't intentionally funny, but it somehow managed to be so anyway:p.

I disagree. I think they were purposefully trying to be funny, and in the end they made the movie more of a joke. I bet they saw how the humor really worked in the Fantastic Four movie and tried to replicate what the audience enjoyed from it. (Unlike with The Hulk, which was much more serious and I believe underrated.) The problem is that the Fantastic Four's humor reflected the comic, especially those comics from the 60's-80's. That isn't what the Ghost Rider comic was about. Humor is good, but making it to the point where it becomes cheesy isn't.

I expect less from movies than I do from comics. They have to work on their own terms and at least be enjoyable. So long as I don't leave the theatre angry, I'm good. I also have a soft spot for dark heroes, although GHOST RIDER is rather light aside for the GR parts. Out of 4 stars I'd give it 2; on a scale of 1-10 I'd give it a 6.

But Ultimate Avengers is just so bad. I can honestly say that its the worst marvel related cartoon adaptation I've ever seen. And that includes both MTV and Unlimited Spider-man. And the first seasons of Iron Man and F4. And the second season of Hulk. And the first two seasons of X-men Evolution.

Hell, even Avengers: United They Stand. At least that show ****ed up crappy characters.

Ghost Rider Movie:

Nick Cage was entertaining and actually was damn good as GR. His take on the character was pretty much an odd ball adrenalin junkie with daddy issues. I'd say Nick was a bit corny at times, especially for a guy who is transforming into a flame headed demon

The villians sucked it's like someone hired Blade:Movie rejects. Black Heart was a joke! His 'transformation' at the end was third rate Star Gate SG1 effects at best. Basically his skin went all dark blue and cg enhanced red eyes and cgi spikes on his face like a lowgrade Quill fron X-men3.

Eva Mendez was smokin' hot, I damn near caught a woody everytime she was on screen, but the chick can't act her way out a wet condom. She was simply eye candy. The 'Hidden' man how useless and random where these cats!? it's something one us online would have came up with. MSJ has zero visual flare, zero..period..none. David Goyer looks like Martin Scorsese by comparison. It should be totally obvious by now the MSJ is B-movie grade director material. He can't cast a movie for sh-t, he has no idea how to film a energetic action scene or create a overall moody tone.

I swear to god I almost fell asleep twice! As much as I like the fact Peter Fonda was in the movie with the whole 'Easy Rider' thing, his Mephisto was bland, boring, unmenacing, pathetic and totally devoid of anything hinting to the fact that this guy is basically the devil in the flesh. I really wanted my money back, MSJ should only be allowed the do B-movies and PG kiddy movies. Steven Norrington or David Fincher should have directed this movie. Even with a PG-13 rating I think they would have done a better job.

Truly the only good thing about the movie was Nic Cage's first transformation and that is it. Not a thing else in that movie was worth the price of admission.

But Ultimate Avengers is just so bad. I can honestly say that its the worst marvel related cartoon adaptation I've ever seen. And that includes both MTV and Unlimited Spider-man. And the first seasons of Iron Man and F4. And the second season of Hulk. And the first two seasons of X-men Evolution.

Hell, even Avengers: United They Stand. At least that show ****ed up crappy characters.

*shudder*

The good news concering Ghost Rider: The coolest part about this film is Sam Elliot.

The bad news concering Ghost Rider: The coolest part about this film was Sam Elliot.

*shudder*

Word. I never caught the show on tv and it happened to show up on youtube a couple of months ago.... good lord. That was awful. BUT, it ****ed up characters like Tigra and Wonder Man. Hell, Falcon threw a stick at a bus and it exploded. And that itself was still better than the entirety of Ultimate Avengers.

Look for yourselves:
http://youtube.com/watch?v=1-CLnqb7geE

Its somewhere near the end.

I think trying to fight your way out of a wet condom would be kind of difficult. A dry condom would be much easier. God forbid you get stuck trying to fight your way out of a sheep-skin condom. You'll be sticky and quite stinky.

That is the most exaggerated thing I have ever seen you say. I actually "caught" AVENGERS: UNITED THEY STAND on TV when it originally aired and it was crap. To say that Ultimate Avengers is WORSE than Spider-Man Unlimited or 90's AVENGERS, or hell, Season 1 of both IRON MAN & FANTASTIC FOUR sort of implies you either have a short memory or your standards are unreasonably high. At the time that AVENGERS: UNITED THEY STAND aired, it's failure was the equalivent of a missed free throw; the 90's had the most collective Marvel continuity that Marvel animation ever had and they bungled it.

Even by animation quality and voice acting alone, UA beats out some of your aforementioned examples.

"At least that show ****ed up crappy characters." That sort of logic is why many in the biz will forever see Falcon, Wonder Man, etc. as throwaway, expendable characters to be killed for shock value or whatever at a moment's notice. Yikes. UA had under 80 minutes. This show had 12 episodes, and they failed to make any character seem relatable or enjoyable. At least UA nailed down Cap. AVENGERS UNITED THEY STAND nailed no one well except maybe Namor, who was a GUEST STAR.

I never said UA was perfect but to imply that it is worse than your aforementioned examples is pretty low. Even if I'll say that while MTV Spider-Man was heavilly flawed, it gets more heat than it deserved.

what the hell was with falcon's "screech" everytime he did something?

what the hell was with falcon's "screech" everytime he did something?

According to jaydawg, Falcon is a "crappy character" so that doesn't matter. What does matter is that UA didn't make Hulk a cannibal rapist or Hank Pym a remourseless wife-beater.

Look, I get after SIN CITY it is a shame to see a less-than-accurate translation, but to say it's worse than some of the late 90's garbage is just the sort of irrational fanboy chest-beating that makes our criticism seem useless to the pro's. I never said UA was untoppable gold. Just I think expectations were ridiculously high, and some of that admittedly was the fault of the previews which used test footage that imitated Hitch's style for one scene (and followed its pace panel for panel) and then the actual animation which was a huge deviation (with rewrites). But I still was able to enjoy it overall.

According to jaydawg, Falcon is a "crappy character" so that doesn't matter. What does matter is that UA didn't make Hulk a cannibal rapist or Hank Pym a remourseless wife-beater.

Look, I get after SIN CITY it is a shame to see a less-than-accurate translation, but to say it's worse than some of the late 90's garbage is just the sort of irrational fanboy chest-beating that makes our criticism seem useless to the pro's. I never said UA was untoppable gold. Just I think expectations were ridiculously high, and some of that admittedly was the fault of the previews which used test footage that imitated Hitch's style for one scene (and followed its pace panel for panel) and then the actual animation which was a huge deviation (with rewrites). But I still was able to enjoy it overall.

in no reality is falcon a crappy character. he might be a c-lister, but he's not crappy.

also, i downloaded (am i allowed to say that?) both ua1 and ua2 this afternoon and gave them a try. i was a little underwhelmed by the animation, but overall, i thought they were fun. when you think about it, those flicks were pretty ambitious in their goals, and for that i'll give credit.

i did think that captain america was spot on. :up:

in no reality is falcon a crappy character. he might be a c-lister, but he's not crappy.

also, i downloaded (am i allowed to say that?) both ua1 and ua2 this afternoon and gave them a try. i was a little underwhelmed by the animation, but overall, i thought they were fun. when you think about it, those flicks were pretty ambitious in their goals, and for that i'll give credit.

I don't believe Falcon is "crappy" either.

As for a note on GHOST RIDER the film, the SHH's review poll shows that out of 275 fans, only 27% of them gave it below 5 (or below average). 73% found it at least 5 or above on a scale of 1-10, with a good 20% finding it an "8" (and a good 19% giving it a "7"), which is higher than my own mark of 6. Go in with an expectation to have a good time with a nice B-Movie with cool GR effects and you won't be foaming at the mouth. Again, IMO, all the moments with the actual Rider on screen were amusing. His look, the voice, the chain, I just liked it.

Eva Mendez was smokin' hot, I damn near caught a woody everytime she was on screen, but the chick can't act her way out a wet condom. She was simply eye candy.

She had an awesome body, but I just couldn't dig her face.

I agree with the expectation thing. My problem is that people felt that somehow, a totally adult aimed sort of movie would've come out as a cartoon aimed for kids was what Ultimate Avengers was going to be.

It was meant for kids, produced for kids, and so it was going to be geared for kids. That's why some of it was standard comic book knowledge of the characters, and some of it was Ultimates.

If you leave it on it's own though, it's actually fairly good. Not platinum or anything, but entertaining.

The animation wasn't half bad, really. In comparison to some cartoons, it's not half good either. It was just a fun little flick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"