BOUGHT/THOUGHT for Wednesday, February 28th

Not Jake

Superhero
Reaction score
52 WEEK #43: 2/5
The most disappointing ish of 52 in a long while. It had a streak going, 3 months of good issues. Quite a feat! But this is disappointing. Focusing solely on the Black Adam Family, the story just fails to hold interest. Maybe if it had occurred 3-4 weeks ago, but as the focus has been on Montoya/Spacefarers for the most part as of late, this just fell flat. I was bored during the issue until the last couple pages. I'm a little disappointed, though, because
I liked Sobek as an innocent, timid crocodile, not a fearsome beast. Possessed by Famine?:csad:

ACTION COMICS #846: 4/5
Wow, really impressed. Zod & Co. show up, and they make good on their threats. If you like stories where bad guys show up on the final page of one issue and then launch their attack by the halfway point of the following ish, pick up Action. The book is living up to its name.

It begins with Zod, Ursa & Non in the Fortress, talking to Jor El Face. The explanation goes that Jor El programmed it to respond to any Kryptonian (not just his son specifically--lazy much, Jor?) so it works. Also conveniently segues into a threat by Zoddy on Supergirl. Kinda neat. Onto the DP (Daily Planet, not double penetration, sadly), where Clark, Lois and Superkid are trying to get their stories straight. I'm not sure exactly what they're doing here--it sounds like they're on official adoption business (Batman faked up the papers for Clark) but then it's the Daily Planet, so, I don't know--it's a Meet Our Kid thing? Reasonable. This little situation is only about 2 pages long, anyway, and then it's go time. Z3 attack, and are kind of wiping the floor with our favorite loveable *****ebag. Supes tries to rally, Ursa heat-visions Lois and breaks her arm (I think), and then It's Raining Evil Men, Hallelujah, as more shell-pod things drop from the sky, releasing the other formerly Phantom-Z0WN3D Kryptonian kryptiminals.

Only gets a 4/5 because Kubert's art, while great for the most part, seemed a little rushed in a few panels. Which is ridiculous, considering the last time AC came out was before the beginning of time.

DAREDEVIL #94: UNREAD/5
I buy this but I don't read it because I still need to pick up the first trade of Bru's run.:o

Action Comics was great this week. I am pissed that I got to wait a couple of months just to see what happens.

Geeze, I'm so behind :o :( But I do have time tonight to read about 4 issues of '52'! :)

When is someone around here going to wait until they actually have stuff to review before jumping to make the bought/thought thread?:cmad:

Do you just want the credit for getting the thread up and running?

Geez oh flippin pete!:cmad:

When is someone around here going to wait until they actually have stuff to review before jumping to make the bought/thought thread?:cmad:

The answer is "YES! HELL, YEAH!" if we're talking about Not Jake.

Its funny, I dont remember you posting in any of these threads, you only seem to do it when Action Comics comes out, curious.
LOL thats because I only buy Superman comics I only comment when a Superman comic comes out other then that the only other book I buy is Squadron Supreme, JLA, Conan and 52 and there is no need to review 52 when so many other people do it already.

I have stuff to review. I'm reading it right now. Would you rather I start a thread and take 20 minutes to get some reviews in or one of the other various *****ebags starting a thread at 9 a.m. and not getting their reviews up until the next day? Seriously, kill yourself.

LOL thats because I only buy Superman comics I only comment when a Superman comic comes out other then that the only other book I buy is Squadron Supreme, JLA and 52 and there is no need to review 52 when so many other people do it already.

No, I think you just like reveling in the fact you enjoy a comic almost everyone on here hates.

I have stuff to review. I'm reading it right now. Would you rather I start a thread and take 20 minutes to get some reviews in or one of the other various *****ebags starting a thread at 9 a.m. and not getting their reviews up until the next day? Seriously, kill yourself.

I was just complaining, I still love you though.:csad:

Can't a guy complain around here without being seen as the bad guy!?!:cmad:

Wow, really impressed. Zod & Co. show up, and they make good on their threats. If you like stories where bad guys show up on the final page of one issue and then launch their attack by the halfway point of the following ish, pick up Action. The book is living up to its name.

It begins with Zod, Ursa & Non in the Fortress, talking to Jor El Face. The explanation goes that Jor El programmed it to respond to any Kryptonian (not just his son specifically--lazy much, Jor?) so it works. Also conveniently segues into a threat by Zoddy on Supergirl. Kinda neat. Onto the DP (Daily Planet, not double penetration, sadly), where Clark, Lois and Superkid are trying to get their stories straight. I'm not sure exactly what they're doing here--it sounds like they're on official adoption business (Batman faked up the papers for Clark) but then it's the Daily Planet, so, I don't know--it's a Meet Our Kid thing? Reasonable. This little situation is only about 2 pages long, anyway, and then it's go time. Z3 attack, and are kind of wiping the floor with our favorite loveable *****ebag. Supes tries to rally, Ursa heat-visions Lois and breaks her arm (I think), and then It's Raining Evil Men, Hallelujah, as more shell-pod things drop from the sky, releasing the other formerly Phantom-Z0WN3D Kryptonian kryptiminals.

Only gets a 4/5 because Kubert's art, while great for the most part, seemed a little rushed in a few panels. Which is ridiculous, considering the last time AC came out was before the beginning of time.
See I am not the only one who like it:o

I read Daredevil #94, and Brubaker wrote another wonderful issue. I have yet to read Bendis' DD run, so a lot of this was new to me. It did a good job of telling her story about their relationship from Milla's point-of-view.

If that last mention is in referance to me, I got my reviews up on the same day, about an hour after actually.

Daredevil #94
First of all the cover by the legend that is John Romita Sr. is awesome :up:

This issue is all about Milla, much like issue #88 was with Foggy. The story is written from her perspective and follows Milla from her introduction way back in Underboss to the present. For someone who's never really cared for the Matt/Milla realationship, I was surprised how much I liked this issue. Brubaker gives Milla real depth and gets to fill in a few blanks Bendis left. The ending was also a very nice touch.

4 out 5.

More to follow.

I don't even know who you are.

Less talky more reviewy, people

I bolded a few key words in your review to exemplify why this Action Comics run has sucked. There isn't anything convenient about it, its plain bad storytelling. They're at the Daily Planet because its convenient for the story, more bad storytelling.

And like sethcohen pointed out, the whole PZ criminal escape thing is straight out of Smallville.

When you have to start making excuses for things happening in the comic, the comic is failing on all counts.

If you think kryptiminals is a key word, you're in as much trouble as I am.

Read the issue, Darth, I'd be interested in hearing your opinions afterwards, whether static or dynamic

I bolded a few key words in your review to exemplify why this Action Comics run has sucked. There isn't anything convenient about it, its plain bad storytelling. They're at the Daily Planet because its convenient for the story, more bad storytelling.

And like sethcohen pointed out, the whole PZ criminal escape thing is straight out of Smallville.

When you have to start making excuses for things happening in the comic, the comic is failing on all counts.

That is Donner for you. While I love the original Superman movies, and they hold a special place in my heart...Some of the things Donner did in the movies just didn't make sense.

It's too bad too that the storytelling in Action is not that good right now, since the Up up and Away arc was fantastic. But such is comic life when you get a new writer on a book.

Superman just needs to make it through this arc, and hopefully everything will be ok.:csad:

If you think kryptiminals is a key word, you're in as much trouble as I am.

Read the issue, Darth, I'd be interested in hearing your opinions afterwards, whether static or dynamic

I'll do it, just for you Not Jake, just for you. But I expect extensive rape for it after.:cmad:

That is Donner for you. While I love the original Superman movies, and they hold a special place in my heart...Some of the things Donner did in the movies just didn't make sense.

It's too bad too that the storytelling in Action is not that good right now, since the Up up and Away arc was fantastic. But such is comic life when you get a new writer on a book.

Superman just needs to make it through this arc, and hopefully everything will be ok.:csad:
Donner and John have for right now are there until the end of 2008 from what the DC message boards have said.

Brainiac 8 said:
It's too bad too that the storytelling in Action is not that good right now, since the Up up and Away arc was fantastic. But such is comic life when you get a new writer on a book
While I can agree with the storytelling perspective on the previous two issues of their run, this issue was MUCH better. 844 and 845 made for a jarring read due to a lack of scene transitions. 846 reads much more smoothly. Also, Kubert's obviously film-inspired paneling in some scenes works better in this issue, too.

And I didn't mention the ending of the issue in my review due to bigtime spoilers, but suffice it to say that a lot of sh** went down this issue. No decompressed story here, it's decidedly compressed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
iamjonahlobe
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"