Bought/Thought January 21, 2009 - SPOILERS

javi1024

DANGER ZONE!
Reaction score
Amazing Spider-Man #584
it's great to see JRJR back on Spidey, and on an interesting story. looks like they're finally zeroing in on Menace and the Spider Tracer Killer that they've been teasing us with since BND started. Needless to say the art is beautiful and it leaves you wanting more with a nice little cliffhanger. 8/10

Uncanny X-Men Annual #2
PICK OF THE WEEK!!
when i first saw previews for this one the art turned me off, plus i was really looking forward to what Fraction already had going in the title. but after a couple of decent pages of Emma history you get to see what she has planned as part of Norman's little secret club house. it's nice to see Emma hasn't totally softened, and just the choices she makes in this book makes her that much more interesting of a character. also, great Namor moments. its even making me like him. 9/10

X-Men Legacy #220
i picked this one up because i love Rogue and i was hoping to get something new and deep about her, but she didnt appear as much as i liked. it looks like it might lead up to something interesting, but i'm not totally convinced yet. 5/10

Astonishing X-Men #28
it's been so long since the title has come out last, and Uncanny is doing so well, that i forget how much i still enjoy this book. but its really suffering from the art which sometimes makes it hard to follow the panels (or lack there of). but i think what i liked best was some smart character dialogue- one in particular between Wolverine and Armor. 7/10

Superman/ Batman Annual #3
this was seriously something out from 1955. a [BLACKOUT]Superman-Batman hybrid monster??[/BLACKOUT], really?? i will give it props for great art on the Batman and Villains side, and the artist uses Firefly from 'The Batman', but that and a couple of cool Batman moments was all this book had going for it. 3/10

Last edited:
Amazing Spider-Man #584
I usually doint care for Guggenheim's take on spider-man. I never have enjoyed any of the quip he uses when he is writing I felt the same way for this issue he does Peter's personality fine IMO, but i'm not to keen on his Spidey quip. I was disappointed with a lot of aspects of this issue. But it is a good set up for the arc and the art is great I just hope the rest of the arc goes a little better.
there is one part a liked particularly
Spider-man passes out from being shot and has a dream where he's fighting Menace and Menace Unmasks and its Harry Osborn, I liked that part it shows us that he suspects him deep down inside.
but my problem with this issue kinda starts at the first panel with spider-man on it he's being chased by the police cause he's wanted for being the spider-tracer-killer. they shoot him in the arm and almost catch him. this is kind of a ridiculous to me considering during civil war SHIELD couldn't get him, but cops can come that close thats a little far fetch
7/10 with high hopes for the next issue

Dark Avengers
This was just fun I don't know if i'll still be enjoying it by issue 5 but it was a good start. I really thought the Venom part was funny. 8/10

X-factor 39 this is my favorite of the week mainly because X-factor is one of my favorite this issue wraps up the Syrin Madrox baby thing if you can't tell by the cover. all I can say about this issue is WOW. and the art is great. 10/10

Uncanny X-men Annual #2
I'm so surprised at this for many reasons
1st off I was hoping this entire issue wasn't about Emma Frost cause I don't really care for her, but it actually made me like her and the ending was pretty bad ass.
2nd I realy didn't like the art i saw in the preview, but it got better through out the issue
3nd Namor was in this way more than I expected and He's one of my favorite characters.
4rd I was kind of mad this was coming out and making us have to wait an extra month for the next uncanny, but now I'm over it. it was a really good read. If you're someone like me who doesn't like Emma Frost it might change your mind about her completely 10/10

X-men kingbreaker 2 of 4
this is a really good mini so far I'm very curious to see where it is headed leading into the war of kings. I'm just confused a little cause of the War Of Kings One-shot. I'm just not sure in what order certain things are happening with what happened in that story. There is a new Symbiote thats kind of weird to see pop up in an X-book, but this is also a space story and they came from space in the first place. I like where this story is going and hope when war of kings begins all the pieces can be put together to make sense of the confusing parts. 8/10

Mighty Avengers 21
I really liked this issue the art and writing is great. I'm confused by the ending, but other than that great start for the new Mighty Avengers 9/10

Last edited:
X-Factor was awesome this week. Hopefully PAD delivers a great 3 issues like he said AND the book gets back on track afterward.

Gugh. My roommate's work and many events kept me from getting comics today. I hope everything I want is still there tommorrow, but I have my doubts on a few issues. :(

you should be good as long as your not looking for an Obama cover.

does anyone else like how many books have Namor in them right now?

Captain America and Iron Man are up next where else will he pop up

Wow. What a WEEK! Honestly, I don't even know where to begin. Dark Avengers and Thunderbolts were just a double shot of awesome.

Thunderbolts- PICK OF THE WEEK! Norman is the evilest mother ****er alive, and I love this book. This is Ellis/Deodato style greatness picking up right where that dynamic duo left off. Obama, Osborn, Samson and Ant-Man at 70,000 feet? Is there popcorn? 9/10

Dark Avengers- If the last review didn't show my love for Ellis/Deodato, this will. A great first issue with fantastic art. I hope Venom isn't permanently smaller Spidey, though. Deodato draws a terrifying Venom. Loved Ares meeting Daken, too. 9/10

X-Factor- Oh. Oh, wow. I go through cycles with this book. Every SINGLE time I start getting bored with it, PAD throws me a gigantic twist I totally didn't see coming, reaffirming my love for the book. That was insanely unexpected. Damn... that was Kirkman Walking Dead cold. 9/10

Amazing Spider-Man 583-584- Speaking of shocks, two giant ones within a week. JJJSr. returns with a great cameo, and the Spider-Tracer killer is... well, if it's a curveball, I am really impressed. Man, thank God this is pretty much a weekly. 9/10 (both)

Uncanny X-Men Annual- I love Emma Frost. Morrison and Whedon did a great job making her a staple of the X-Men, and Dark Reign had me worried. This issue (and the Dark Reign one shot) have helped to calm my nerves. Great story showing us some interesting history between Emma and Namor. The ending is very unexpected, and shows that Emma is as dangerous as ever. Loved the art, too! 8/10

Deadpool- My first issue under Way. Zany, but fun. Yay, Bob's back! 8/10

Spider-Girl- One of the best issues since the relaunch. Even Frenz stepped up his game. I wish there was more of this and less of the boring high school crap. I'm wondering if Defalco will do something gutsy with the cast with the upcoming "final" issue. If PAD proved anything this week it's that you have to remind the audience anything can happen. 8/10

Transformers Movie Prequel Alliance- The better issue this week. Furman is always great with the fan eye-winks. Can't wait for the movie. 8/10

Astonishing X-Men- Ellis and Bianchi's best so far. Lots of action, some good continuity and great character interaction. Still iffy on the book overall, but good issue. 8/10

Kick Ass- Not much to say. It's a lot of fun. 8/10

Mighty Avengers- Saw the name change coming. Pham does a good job on art, and I'm digging the old school line-up, but the ending was... well, not much of a cliff-hanger. Also, killing off major characters for an arc was cool back in Infinity Gauntlet. Today it just keeps fans jaded. 7/10

Transformers Movie Prequel Defiance- Mostly set up. Interesting to see the planet before the war, but little happened. 6/10

Best of the Week:

Mighty Avengers #21

The wishes of many fans of the classic, not-selling-very-well Avengers get their wish, as Dan Slott takes over the title that Brian Michael Bendis no longer has a need for. Certainly, one expects some better-constructed stories and a lot more nostalgia, though one should also note that the unnecessary narration and sometimes clumsy dialogue has also returned. On the balance though, it’s a good start. Various Biblical/apocalyptic events are destroying the world (and killing most of the heroes), and everyone’s favourite crazy witch, the Scarlet Witch, is on the case, zipping around the Marvel Universe and snatching up heroes before they get iced: Cassie and Vision (awk-ward!) from the Avengers Mansion; Hulk; USAgent (after Wanda finds Captain America already dead; story of John’s life, really); she misses Iron Man (who figures it out anyway); and Hercules (and Cho and Jarvis), Hank Pym, and Jocasta helpfully assemble themselves. The big villain of the piece is the Elder God Cthton, that longtime foe of the Maximoffs, now incarnated in the body of Quicksilver. This is a good start, though we don’t really get to any of dynamite character interaction I’m really looking forward to yet (Cassie and Vision really talking with Wanda, Pym and the Young Avengers, etc.). There’s a neat Hulk moment (and ol Bruce could sure use some of those these days, given the dictatorship of Loeb and his interloper over in what is nominally his own title), and the one instance of extended character interaction that we get here (the self-assembling group) is very well-done. Khoi Pham's art is pretty good; he has a good inking/colouring team, which helps a lot.

Uncanny X-Men Annual #2

The third line of Annuals for a single-volume series continues, as Matt Fraction executes what is probably his best story on the title so far: it follows Emma into her dealings with the Cabal, notably Namor the Submariner, with whom she had a fling back in the 80s, when she was a villain and Shaw attempted to convince Namor to be the Black King of the Hellfire Club (a position to which Namor attached no value), and sent Emma to convince him to take it. First Tony Stark, now this; Emma retroactively gets around, I must say. The past segments are by Daniel Acuna, whose art is a weird mix of cartoon and photo that I've never much gotten into, though his facial expressions can occasionally be funny. The present segments, by Mitch Breitweiser, are wonderfully drawn (for those who complained that the Namor in Maleev's art wasn't attractive enough, this is the book for you). Fraction doesn't overdo the 'darling' in Emma's dialogue this time, unlike last issue of the regular title, where it went to almost caricature. Emma's position in Dark Reign is quite interesting, a mix of her desire to protect, her desire to lead (to be a queen, as she phrases it to Shaw), and her being annoyed at Cyclops keeping secrets from her. Now if only someone would kick Greg Land off the regular title and we would be in business here.

X-Men: Kingbreaker #2

The second part of the primary lead-in miniseries to War of Kings, covering the X-Men side of the cast, continues, as Vulcan engages in, er, aggressive diplomacy with the Galactic Council, and the remnants of the Starjammers try to stay alive and break out of jail, respectively. This and the preceding Yost miniseries, Emperor Vulcan, have gone quite a ways to making Vulcan a better character; now that he's Emperor he's developed a bit more personality (at first he was all generic rage and retconned family ties) and become a plausible Evil Tyrant sort, which is a workable archetype. As this series shows, he's not one for subtlety, to the anxiousness of many allies (the events of this issue leave me sort of wondering about the casus belli of this little war; Vulcan clearly seems to be striking first, but the DnA-written special seemed to suggest that it was Black Bolt who provoked it by gratuitously destroying those three Shi'ar warbirds). Concerning our heroes, Yost continues to write a great Havok; Havok fans know that he lives in a cycle of being competent and being riven by indecision, so you enjoy his super-competent moments like this one while they last. Not much of the rest of his fellow inmates so far, though Ch'od continues to be fun comic relief. The art by Dustin Weaver, which I loved in the first issue, looks different here; inked differently, maybe? Still quite good, generally, though his rendition of Ch'od I found a bit jarring for some reason (the wide space between the eyes, I think).

Last edited:
Doctor Doom and the Masters of Evil 1
More like Doctor Doom & the Sinister Six...though that's not really a bad thing. Reading this really made me think of the Rogues from Flash...the six were acting more like pals then a circle of untrusting thieves. It was very nice seeing Doc Ock after having been Doc Ock deprived for so long. Though this issue brings up a lot of questions...why was Chameleon taking Electro's place? Does this take place in current continuity? And while I enjoyed the book, what was up with the dialogue?

Doctor Doom and the Masters of Evil 1
More like Doctor Doom & the Sinister Six...though that's not really a bad thing. Reading this really made me think of the Rogues from Flash...the six were acting more like pals then a circle of untrusting thieves. It was very nice seeing Doc Ock after having been Doc Ock deprived for so long. Though this issue brings up a lot of questions...why was Chameleon taking Electro's place? Does this take place in current continuity? And while I enjoyed the book, what was up with the dialogue?

It def doesnt take place in current continuity, i mean kraven is still alive

See I thought that Kraven was the current Kraven (Kraven's son).

I wanna know exactly why Sentry is working for/with Norman. It has to be more than just the fact that "he lives there"

I wanna know exactly why Sentry is working for/with Norman. It has to be more than just the fact that "he lives there"

He more than likely promised him a cure for the Void. I mean, seriously Norman Osborn can relate to having a villianous, murdering, psycho dual identity. He's to some degree helped Bullseye, Venom, and Emo Speedball, Sentry can't be that hard to help.

he did say he was going to help him, but when he said "I live here" i was dying like yeah good excuse.

Any spoilers on the T-bolts lineup pictured on the cover?

I've no clue who 2 of those guys are.

I'm now mirroring all of my reviews at NuMutant.net [/subtle plug], so I've started putting recaps and writer/artist information at the beginning of each review. As always, reviews are written in the order each book is read...

Let's start this week off with a bang...

X-FACTOR #39
Writer: Peter David
Penciler: Valentine De Landro
Publisher: Marvel

In this issue's recap/credits page, writer Peter David issues a "personal plea" to all readers. He urges us to fight all temptation with regards to spoilers. Don't give up any spoilers. "Speak in broad strokes." He says not to even use spoiler warnings.

No dice, David. I'm telling everyone. To be fair, I'll black out this review. Anyone who wishes to read it can highlight it with their mouse.

[blackout]For those of you just joining us, let's recap: With the X-Men now in the San Francisco Bay, X-Factor Investigations found themselves the target for every two-bit anti-mutant group in New York. Not wanting to join Cyclops' herd, X-Factor spirited themselves away to Detroit, where they are working as normal private investigators. Secretly, team leader Jamie "Multiple Man" Madrox has been working with government agent Val Cooper, and passing off her assignments as regular gigs. A few months later, Darwin and Longshot joined the team. But none of that is important. Approximately nine months ago, Jamie got Siryn very very pregnant. When we last left off, Siryn entered labor.

This issue begins with Darwin, who hasn't seen his father in years. Darwin recently found out that his dear old dad sold him to some mad scientists for a little DNA experiment (causing Daddy Dearest to get injured and hospitalized during the kidnapping). X-Factor helped Darwin escape, and Darwin is pretty much ready to forgive... and forget his dad ever existed.

Meanwhile, in the same hospital, Jamie is sitting by Siryn's side while she tries her damnedest not to let out a sonic scream during labor. She fails, and everyone in the hospital hears her, including the rest of X-Factor in the lobby. The doctor comes in, and decides to drug the hell out of Siryn, and give her a cesarean. One spank on the ass later, and the beautiful Sean Madrox is born! Scared that the government might swing by and snatch their child, Jamie follows the baby to the nursery to keep an eye on him. Jamie has a brief conversation with Val Cooper, who offers to relocate Siryn and Sean to a safe place, not snatch him. Later on, we see Siryn holding her son. She asks Jamie to hold him, who's afraid he's going to drop him. Not going to be an issue.

As soon as Jamie held his son, their bodies began to merge together. Jamie unintentionally absorbed his son as if he were one of his duplicates. And he can't un-absorb him.

Needless to say, Siryn was pissed. She pounced on Jamie, and tried to beat the living crap out of him until he gave her back their son. She popped her stitches, and had to be sedated by a doctor. Jamie found himself crying in a closet, unable to cope with what he'd done. Strong Guy came for him, and brought him back to Siryn. When Jamie tried to hold Siryn's hand, she broke one of his fingers. The issue ends with Siryn's last line: "Next time I see you... it'll be your neck."[/blackout]

This issue was a definite shocker. I have to say, I didn't see any of it coming. Peter David promised that this and the next two issues would be the definite must-read issues, and I can see why. It looks like a whole new status quo is being established for this book, and I wouldn't be surprised if things only got worse for Jamie Madrox.

Valentine De Landro delivers some of the best art this title has seen in a long time. His pencils are clear, but also capture a bit of this title's old noir feeling. De Landro also renders quite possibly the best Darwin I've seen since the character's introduction in 2006. Most artists have a habit of making Darwin look like a Roswell Grey, but De Landro gives us what I can only describe as a bald albino Darwin, which looks a hell of a lot more human. Colorist Jeremy Cox gets bonus points for giving Monet St. Croix a darker skin tone than Siryn (an awkward mistake he's made in the past, as Monet is of African descent and Siryn is practically ginger), but loses points for making her eyes blue instead of their usual brown.

----------

ANGEL: AFTER THE FALL #16
Writer: Brian Lynch (plotted by Joss Whedon)
Penciler: Franco Urru
Publisher: IDW

The recap: Following the cliffhanger at the end of season 5 on television, this comic has followed Angel's mission to reassemble his team after all of Los Angeles was transported to Hell by Wolfram & Hart. Recently, Illyria (who still inhabits the body of Fred) has found herself incapable of reconciling her own personality with the memories and personality she inherited from Fred, and has transformed into her true "big blue monster of death" form in an attempt to destroy the world. Meanwhile, Wesley is a ghost, Gunn is a vampire whose dialogue hasn't made any sense throughout this entire comic, and Angel has seen a vision of the future in which he somehow works with Wolfram & Hart in bringing about a different end of the world in which Angel has slaughtered countless humans. With that, Wolfram & Hart is determined to keep Angel alive at all costs, even though they are more than willing to kill and torture his family and friends. Oh, and the previous issue ended with Angel's son, Connor, dead.

This issue begins with Angel holding Connor's body, as a crowd of bystanding humans and demons watch silently. The disembodied voice of Wolfram & Hart then tells Angel that he's free to go back to his hotel base, where they will ship "the carcass" of "the offspring" as soon as possible (they're so sensitive, those demonic lawyers). When Angel decides to just lash out and kill as many demons as possible, Wolfram & Hart tells him to go ahead, as they'll simply create more minions to replace the slain ones. Wesley's ghost asks to make sure the demons won't harm Angel, and Wolfram & Hart assures him that if anything should happen to Angel, they'll simply pluck a better version of him out of his personal timeline. That's when Angel gets an idea. Angel grabs a sword, and attempts to coax the psychotic vampire-Gunn into killing him. When Wolfram & Hart's demonic army try to interfere, Spike and the crew hold them back until Gunn succeeds, and Angel dies.

Then Wolfram & Hart does exactly what they said they would do if Angel died: they find a better Angel from a previous point in the timeline. Specifically, they physically reset the timeline back to that cliffhanger fight at the end of season 5, with Angel's crew fighting an army of demons in an alley. Angel is alive--er, undead again, Illyria once again looks like a blue Fred, Angel's pet dragon (named after Cordelia) is alive, and Gunn is still a human under attack by a gang of vampires in a dark alley. Angel breaks up the fight before Gunn can be either sired or killed, and rushes him off to the hospital.

One thing that is very clear is that Angel, Spike, Gunn, and Illyria remember their time in hell. However, upon checking Gunn into the hospital, Angel discovers that everyone else in Los Angeles remembers their time in hell as well. Also, they remember Angel facing demons to defend them for months on end. The secret's out, and Angel has just gone from a lowly private investigator and urban legend into a full-blown legend. Of course, this issue wouldn't be complete without revealing that, with time reversed, Connor is once again alive.

In a way, this is the penultimate issue of Angel: After the Fall. Starting with #18, the title will change to Angel: Aftermath. I wasn't quite sure what other ground they could cover with this book upon leaving Hell, but it looks like a whole new can of worms have been opened this month. Aside from the continuous fact that Gunn's dialogue never makes any sense, this was a pretty solid issue for Lynch. The story was easy to follow (for once), and the characters spoke like real people. Urru, however, has once again delivered a set of underwhelming pencils. His characters pretty much never resemble the actors they're based on, the eyes are inexpressive 70% of the time, and the faces are somewhat flat. That's not to say his art is terrible, but I'm definitely not a fan.

----------

ASTONISHING X-MEN #28
Writer: Warren Ellis
Penciler: Simone Bianchi

When we last left our heroes, they were investigating a mysterious man known as Subject X, who used a kind of fire power to kill a man in San Francisco before running away to Asia. When the X-Men followed, he killed himself and left behind a strange electronic device that S.W.O.R.D's director Abigail Brand (who is also Beast's bedroom partner) identified as a ghost box. A ghost box is apparently a gateway between parallel universes. As we learned in the Ghost Boxes miniseries, Subject X's goal was to scope out the X-Men's universe, and report back to his superiors so they could begin annexation. The X-Men decided to continue their investigation by heading to a radar blackspot in China, which led to an uninhabited hidden city known as Tian.

Emma Frost and Storm begin to make their way down stairs, where they discuss the theory that half of the city may have fallen apart because it might have been held up by the willpower of a mutant or several mutants who lost their powers. Emma suddenly detects the somewhat shielded mind of someone trying to hide himself, and telepathically warns Cyclops. Cyclops sends Wolverine and Armor out to look for any signs of life, while he and Beast check the city's computers. Beast mentions to Cyclops that he and Forge discussed parallel worlds before, as Forge had been searching across different universes to see how many people lost their powers on M-Day. Turns out it's a lot. Before something large and invisible can attack them, Cyclops and Beast feel its presence, and face it head on, knocking it the hell out.

Meanwhile, as Emma and Storm head further down stairs, they begin to feel their powers weakening. Storm assures Emma that if their powers become inhibited completely while in the city, she'll have no problem coping without them. After all, anyone who remembers the crazy leather-clad mohawk Storm from the 1980s knows that she spent practically that entire time leading the X-Men without her powers. Storm tells Emma this, and mentions that her powers were taken back then when she was shot by a device made by Forge. When Emma and Storm's powers completely fade out in a dark hallway of the city, a large beastie emerges from the shadows and attacks. Storm takes out her knife, and dispatches it.

Around this same time, Wolverine and Armor are attacked by a mysterious man who shoots lasers from his fingers. The lasers are partially capable of piercing Armor's psionic neon noodle armor, causing her shoulder and foot to be run through. Wolverine then stabs the man in the chest, causing him to slowly bleed out. Possible at the same time, all three dispatches attacks relay the same message to the X-Men duos that defeated them: they attacked because they mentioned the name Forge.

Ellis appears to be doing what he does best, and that's delivering a science fiction and mystery story. However, this story is rather decompressed, and it's still not quite clear what the X-Men are up against. The pieces will probably all come together toward the end of this story, which means there's probably a good chance this will read better as an all-in-one graphic novel months from now, rather than as month-to-month issues.

Simone Bianchi... bless Simone Bianchi. He's a talented artist. He's clearly capable of so much. However, I'd dare say his problem is that he tries too hard. His backgrounds are highly detailed and textured, and likely take forever to both pencil and ink. He goes out of his way to draw nearly every strand of hair on each character's heads (and Beast's entire body), which (when combined with the wrinkles and seams of everyone's costumes) causes the character designs to appear too busy. Colorist Simone Peruzzi is going for a kind of noir look, but the dark colors combined with highly rendered shadows result in pages of dull scenery where the characters stand out from the background very little. This art style would be great for a comic book cover (in fact, the covers to this book are usually spectacular) or a typically/intentionally dark comic like Grant Morrison's recent Shining Knight miniseries, but it doesn't really work for something as bright and vibrant as the X-Men. Also, I don't like the way he draws Storm's face half the time, the odd emphasis he puts on Cyclops' lips being so shiny, or the strange "model" poses he occasionally puts people in.

Last edited:
X-MEN: KINGBREAKER #2 OF 4
Writer: Christ Yost
Penciler: Dustin Weaver

Ah, Vulcan. Gabriel Summers, the long lost brother of Cyclops and Havok. Prematurely ripped from the womb by the Shi'ar, artificially grown to adolesence and sold into slavery until he found his way to Earth, joined the X-Men for about a week, thrown into hibernation for nearly ten years, presumed dead, and had all memory of his existence removed from the world by Professor X. He woke up, flew off into space, dethroned Shi'ar Empress Lilandra, married Lilandra's sister Deathbird, and assumed the title of Emperor because he was technically "born" within the confines of the Shi'ar palace, and thus considered part of the royal family.

Did I miss anything?

Oh, and upon taking the Shi'ar throne, Vulcan killed his father Christopher Summers, captured the Starjammers, and tortured Havok & Polaris. Lilandra is currently on the lamb with demi-phoenixes Rachel Summers and Korvus in tow.

Right, so now that Vulcan has taken over the Shi'ar Empire, he's making conquest his top priority. He has his Imperial Guard (who should be by his side) on the frontlines of every planet he's taking over, and the few troops he left within the empire aren't powerful enough to capture Lilandra's rebel group. With all the foresight of a small child in a man's body, Vulcan decides to recruit the most dangerous criminals from the empire's most secured prisons to hunt them down. Yeah, that will end well.

In another part of the empire, Lilandra sneaks into the home of Gladiator from the Imperial Guard, and with all the melodrama of a soap opera couple (I can only assume they had a sexual relationship in the past, which brings Lilandra's fidelity into question because she was still married to Professor X until a week ago), asks him to help her by telling her where Havok and the Starjammers are being held. He refuses, but that's okay. Rachel was telepathically making herself appear invisible the whole time, and she pulled that information from Gladiator's mind as soon as Lilandra asked the question. Rachel then spawns a blue Phoenix aura, grabs Lilandra, and flies the hell out of there.

In the prison, it turns out someone working there has been secretly exposing Havok to low doses of light energy, so he can recharge his powers and escape. As soon as someone comes to slide Havok's meal under the door, he takes the opportunity to blast the wall into pieces, beat up the guards, and escape. Of course, he tracks down Polaris and the Starjammers, and they prepare an assault against Vulcan.

Over on a rebel planet, Lilandra's group is suddenly attacked by Vulcan's all new team of insane criminals. One of them appears to be a symbiote similar to Carnage and Venom, and another is apparently a female version of Gladiator. Their plan to capture Lilandra backfires when the crazed pyromaniac of the group flips out and uses her atomic powers to burn the entire planet. Luckily, our heroes and the rest of the band of criminals all escape.

It turns out Vulcan's expansion of the Shi'ar Empire hasn't gone unnoticed. Representatives from an intergalactic council have come to Vulcan's court, informing him that he's attacked planets allied with other empires, and that he has a lot of explaining to do. Again, having the foresight of a hormonal manchild, he uses his powers to kill all of the representatives, and tells the one he let live that he's dissolving the council, and will kill anyone that challenges him. You know, because it's such a good idea to incite a war against several other intergalactic sovereign governments when you don't know how to run your own.

The art is decent, but overall unimpressive. It even seems to drop in quality toward the final few pages. The writing, however, is very solid. I think Chris Yost is a decent writer on his own, but I still hold a major grudge after he and Craig Kyle bastardized the New X-Men comic a while back. With that said, I'm going to shut up before I go on a rant.

----------

UNCANNY X-MEN ANNUAL #2
Writer: Matt Fraction
Pencilers: Mitch Breitweiser & Daniel Acuna

Following an alien invasion by Skrulls, old Spider-Man foe Norman Osborn took credit for saving the world, and is now in control of the superhero community. Wanting to cement his control over the supervillain community as well, Osborn has assembled a secret group of morally ambiguous people of power. He's called in scrub-turned-big shot The Hood, on-again/off-again antagonist Namor, big shot-turned-scrub Dr. Doom, and villainous ****e-turned-****ish heroine Emma Frost.

One of the first things we're shown in this issue is a flashback to the days when Sebastian Shaw, Selene, and Emma Frost had taken over the Hellfire Club. Shaw's intention is to have the club controlled by mutants, but there are four seats of power in the club's inner circle, and they need a fourth. That's when they spot Namor: Prince of Atlantis, and human/Atlantean hybrid mutant. Namor thinks very little of Shaw, but is quite taken with Emma. However, Namor has no interest in the Hellfire Club, and rudely turns Shaw down. Shaw, infuriated, tells Emma (who is his subordinate) to find a way change Namor's mind. Emma takes a yacht out to the ocean, telepathically tells Namor that she's going to kill herself, and then throws herself into the ocean with a ball chained to her leg. The melodramatic ploy works, and she lures Namor out of the ocean. However, rather than convince Namor to join the Hellfire Club, Emma gets taken to his underwater palace where I can only assume they played a rousing game of Monopoly in Namor's bed chambers. Afterward, Namor and Emma try to spend some time talking, but Namor's palace is soon attacked by a team of sentinels that have detected two mutants in Atlantis. Emma tells Namor that things like the sentinels are exactly why he should aid mutants like herself. Namor destroys the sentinels, and assembles some scientists to discover where the hell they were sent from.

It turns out Shaw, with help from Donald Pierce, sent the sentinels to Atlantis out of anger. After a brief fight, between Shaw and Namor, Pierce surrounds Namor with sentinels and calls him off. Shaw makes it very clear that he couldn't give half a damn what happens to the rest of the mutant race, as long as he continues to accumulate power. Selene then sneaks up on Emma Frost, gets into her mind, and causes her to forget the whole thing ever happened. Namor is allowed to remember, but is warned that he'll never get within ten miles of Shaw ever again.

Cut to the present day, and Emma & Namor meet up again at Norman Osborn's meeting. After the meeting, the two have a private rendezvous, where Emma reveals that she's gained back all of her memories from the day Shaw attacked them with sentinels. Emma promises to give Namor Shaw's head on a platter in exchange for some of Namor's help. Emma gives Shaw a call, and lures him to the Hellfire Club's old headquarters, where she pulls a sword out and chops his head off when he puts his guard down. She then puts the head on a platter, and shows it to an onlooking Namor. Satisfied with his and Emma's revenge on Shaw, Namor agrees to protect the mutant community as he does the people of Atlantis, in exchange for Emma mentally protecting him at Osborn's future meetings.

When Namor leaves, Emma reveals the head on a platter to really be a pumpkin, and Shaw is still alive and psychically incapacitated. Emma then calls up Cyclops, and tells him that she's captured Shaw, and that he's going to be spending a long time in the X-Men's brig.

I have to say, I was impressed with this story. Not only did Fraction make a nonlinear story work, but he actually created a sympathetic character out of Emma during her White Queen days. After all, this was Emma during a time in which she was ready to torture teenage girls who didn't join her school, and who accidentally created the Dark Phoenix when she tried to brainwash Jean Grey. However, we were shown that Emma was fairly submissive at first, and it took until recently for her to assert herself and finally show Sebastian Shaw who's boss. There's also been a significant change in the realm of the X-Men, as they now have a powerful ally in Prince Namor. One of the most noticable things about this issue was the art. The two artists have drastically different styles, and it's strange going from one to another with all of the intercut flashbacks. That said, neither is a horrible artist.

I do have one major complaint about this comic, and it's the fact that it's an "Annual." The term "annual" implies the book is published yearly, but the Uncanny X-Men Annual #1 came out way back in 2006. Not quite annual, Marvel.

Mighty Avengers #21
This was even better than I thought it would be. Hank is in top form here, with Slott capitalizing on some of his less emphasized but more awesome aspects, including his penchant for using his brain in conjunction with his Pym Particles for all kinds of funky inventions. The toolbot alone got me almost giddy, let alone the Pym Pocket. I'm pretty sure I was wrong about Limbo and the Pym Pocket will, in fact, be the Avengers' new base, which is fine by me. Great idea, especially with its door that opens anywhere.

Beyond just Pym, the rest of the issue was pretty great as well. This story is clearly shaping up to be a kind of unofficial sequel to one of Chthon's earlier appearances, and all the mysticism was right up my alley (and Thor's, which I suppose is why Jarvis thought to go to him first). The formation of the team, based on equal parts Cho's super-math and Wanda's mysticism, was a cool parallel development. Iron Man's sort of left out, but it should be interesting to see how he meets up with the others while trying to stop Modred and Chthon on his own.

The interplay between characters is a big part of what I enjoyed about the series. This is pretty heavily steeped in classic Avengers nostalgia, which is great for me. Wanda's sort of blandness over having to take US Agent instead of Bucky-Cap gave me a chuckle, and the notion that Jarvis is the real glue that holds the Avengers together is something that's not new but is always nice to see acknowledged. But even the new characters play pretty well with the group--Cho and Hank's interaction was particularly fun. I wonder if Van Lente and Pak will accept that Cho is officially now the eighth smartest. :)

All in all, a fantastic start to a new/old era in the Avengers' history that I can't wait to see play out in the long term. We classic Avengers fans have either played along with or ignored Bendis' New/Mighty Avengers stuff, so it's nice to finally have a title we can truly call our own again.

Green Lantern #37
I cannot tell if John's foreshadowing is extremely obvious or a giant red herring. After this is all said and done, I feel as though Sinestro is going to be leader of the Blue Lanterns and he and Hal are going to be best of friends heading into the Darkest Night. I see Mongul filling the power gap left be Sinestro in his corps, but the only element I do not see fitting is how Mongul fits into the Red Lanterns.

I feel like every issue of GL or GLC has a lantern dieing simply so they can be cannon fodder for the Blackest Night. That being said, I was surprised to see Laira bite the dust so soon, seeing as the number of issues were devoted to her turn to red lanterns. And, as frightening of a concept as it is, I do see Hal being set up as some sort of Rainbow Lantern because now he has ties to 6 of the 8 corps.

This issue read like a frustrating sitcom episode. If everybody would get past their pride, and work together, the blackest night could be avoided. But of course, like the tragedy it is setting itself to be, these aggravating moments are necessary, the most aggravating being Hal. I usually love Johns' writing but this seems just very cliche and a pain to read.

Superman Beyond #2 or, How I Learned to Quit Caring and Love the Dr. Manhattan Knockoff.

Grant Morrison was looking in the mirror and frivolously whacking it to his own image when he wrote this. Let's do a checklist:

Overwordiness: Check
Confusing dialogue: Check
Unnecessary 3D: Check
Random villains: Check
Vampires: Check

Am I the only person who wasn't affected by monitors' deaths because I didn't know their names, or how they related to other monitors. Was this a point from countdown I dont remember? This is the first issue these monitors are showing up and yet we are supposed to know their back story and history. Frankly, Final Crisis has been on thin ice already and if issue 7 deals with this crap, that'll be the straw that breaks the camel's back. I thought we were supposed to get a New Gods story, not a multiversal cluster**** AGAIN that resets continuity.

Did Slott finally take over Mighty Avengers?

Eh. I'll pick it up next week. I'm not taking the half-hour out of my day to go back to the shop unless I have to.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kimcity
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"