Bought/Thought 10/29

Incredible Herc 122 was... well... INCREDIBLE. Hilarious and full of tons of action -- Herc and Namor fighting, Herc and amazons fighting, Namora and Amazons fighting, explosions, gorgons, and purple blood. This is seriously among the best books out right now. READ IT!

I've heard a lot of good things about INCREDIBLE HERC, but at this point I am about a year behind, and back issue/trade hunting usually puts me off. That, and I absolutely can't stand that Cho kid. He's too arrogant and smug for me.

Thor could've deflected it into space. Also, I don't think any Skrull magic (which shouldn't really exist in the first place, given what we've been told of Skrull society before) should be able to mess with enchantments Odin himself put on the hammer. The problem with f***ing up Stormbreaker is that it's literally equal to Mjolnir, so there's an implication there that the Skrulls could've easily subverted even Mjolnir's enchantments, which is something Thor fans tend to take issue with (as the outcry over Rulk's ******ed zero-G thing shows).

As for the costume, I'm not shocked, I just think the Omega Flight costume was a lot better. Simonson took Thor's costume and introduced a few new design flourishes for Bill's original costume, and it shows. It's extremely derivative. The Omega Flight costume is still derivative, but it at least takes things a bit further and gives Bill his own color scheme and a more interesting visual. The original costume says "sci-fi Thor." The OF costume says that Bill's his own character more.

That's true, the Skrulls really shouldn't have access to magic; the only Skrulls that were mages were shunted off and eventually became the Dire Wraiths. The problem is that Bendis didn't care about all that and introduced the idea of Verenke rising to power from her place of exile after the Annihilation Wave and that the Skrulls, via retcon, had done DNA experiments on Dr. Strange back during the 70's, that SOMEHOW allowed them new access to magic (at least to block it's effects). It makes zero sense, but it was there as the basis for the event, so some of the spin-off's played with it. Skrulls did the magic mojo in CAPTAIN BRITAIN and it worked fine; granted, that was also written better overall.

For all we know, the Skrull gods that showed up in Incredible Hercules were involved in breaking up Stormbreaker. They're dead now, so, they can't do it again.

The power levels of the Skrulls have always been a problem with this event. They wax and wane from impossible levels of bull**** plot convenience to annoyingly easy to defeat in a few Royal Rumble like splash pages (you're not much of a "Super Skrull" if Wolverine or Luke Cage can defeat you with a single attack, sorry). Their planning ranges from Batman Prep-Time level Plot-Hole Omnipotence to ******ed Slack Jaw villain level (they plan an entire invasion for years, but fail to kill the one guy who really matters, Reed Richards, despite having plenty of chances, or recall 3-D Man from the 50's). Bendis bares the brunt of the blame for this as it is HIS story, but apparently other writers have played in that sandbox, too.

RE: Thor Girl

Maybe the real Thor Girl was killed by KIA, and a Skrull took advantage of that? I always thought it was kind of fishy that: a) Thor Girl survived having her skin burned off, and b) that a story designed to thin out the ranks didn't really result a huge bodycount.

I thought it was silly that KIA could even manage to hurt Tarene in the first place. She's a cosmic messiah. My guess is that the real Tarene took off into space when Asgard fell and is still out there somewhere. The Skrulls noticed her absence (since they seem to have a penchant for sniffing out second-stringers to impersonate) and figured if she's not gonna use her identity on Earth, they might as well.

I kind of don't care anymore. I've been dicked around with Tarene so much in A:TI that I don't really give a s*** whether she's alive or dead or ever going to see Thor again. Slott and Gage broke me.

It is possible that the real Thor-Girl was killed by KIA, but that would be up to Slott or Gage to showcase in a future story. KIA was empowered by cosmic space weapons so who knows how potent those energy blasts were. It would make more sense for her to still be in space somewhere to return at a future date, if at all. And someone's bitter about her.

Hey, if JMS cared about these sorts of things, her place would be on THOR. But that would involve a little complication to his "TV style plot summary" for the relaunch. The dynamic is Thor living on Earth with his people interacting with local hicks. Add aliens to the mix and, gasp, stuff gets complicated. JMS doesn't do complicated. He does dragging out a 4 issue story to 12 and adding flourishes to give the illusion of complication.

Thor accepting Loki back at all was Plot Convenient Stupidity defying all logic. If there was ANY Asgardian Thor should go out of his way to kill or keep trapped, it was Loki. Balder blindly listening to Loki is just Outright Gullibility, nearly worthy of Goku from DBZ. Now I understand that franchise villains always squeeze back onto the scene in this way (The Joker being the poster child for it; seriously, if there was anyone Batman should allow Kal to send to the Phantom Zone, it's him), but it hasn't been handled especially well. JMS should have had Loki be revived by outside means and living and plotting outside New Asgard; maybe masquarading as a "random Asgardian" that no one knows about or can mystically sense. That would have worked better than Thor just stubbornly allowing his mortal enemy to live with him based on flimsy story, and Balder to be completely naive.

It's like if Superman built New Krypton in Metropolis and allowed Lex Luthor to live inside. It'd be ****ing stupid.

Last edited:
The dynamic is Thor living on Earth with his people interacting with local hicks.

Oh, and lets not forget how much the local populace will teach those snooty Asgardians about what they're missing (McDonalds, devotion to spectator sports, and truck pulls). How much you want to bet that the Asgardians have nothing to teach the trailer trash?

Oh, and lets not forget how much the local populace will teach those snooty Asgardians about what they're missing (McDonalds, devotion to spectator sports, and truck pulls). How much you want to bet that the Asgardians have nothing to teach the trailer trash?

Yes, there's that. Certainly no room for alien friends, especially with Donald Blake trying to revive his romance from way back during the end of the Silver Age. :rolleyes:

I mean I do like THOR, I really do deep down. But it moves too slowly and it has a bit of wasted potential, which sometimes irks me more than something that outright stinks. With a bad story, you can at least sit back and go, "This was a failure" or "the writer was clearly off the mark from page 1", but with something like THOR, it almost makes you pull out hair when you imagine how the book could easily go from a B+ to an A+ if only the writer would step out of his self-imposed box and get some stuff moving.

Oh, you can't even begin to imagine how annoyed I was at the idea that Asgard didn't have toilets. Yeah, their culture is similar to the Vikings', but they're not actually Vikings living in Viking times. They had panaceas that could cure literally any disease and monuments made of solid gold and magic that could warp reality itself. You're seriously gonna sit there and tell me that the best sort of plumbing system this extremely advanced culture could come up with is to throw their s*** over their walls? Ridiculous.

I disagree with Dread that Thor taking Loki back was silly, though. Loki having such an influence on Balder is more debatable, but I already gave my thoughts on that earlier. Thor accepting Loki back should simply be a matter of course. He tried to avoid bringing Loki back at all, but Heimdall called him out on it because he was basically trying to exercise his will over life and death, which is wrong however you look at it. So Loki came back and, once he was back, Thor really had no choice but to take him back because of his own rhetoric. He basically said a new age had dawned and the Asgardians were getting a second, totally uninhibited chance at life this time. As a just ruler, he can't very well say that and then turn around and go, "Oh, wait, except Loki." Like him or not, Loki is still a member of the Asgardian elite and still a son of Odin and brother to Thor. All of his past sins were effectively washed away by the second chance speech.

Bought

Air #3
JLA #26
Thor #11
Nova #18
Final Crisis: Rage of the Red Lanterns
Astounding Wolf-Man #9
The Boys #24
New Warriors #17
She-Hulk #34
Avengers: The Initiative #18
Iron Fist #19
Incredible Hercules #122
X-Force #8
Secret Invasion: X-Men #3
Hellboy: In the Chapel of Moloch

Thought

Avengers: Initiative - Terrible art this issue. A lot of posters here hated when Uy(?) did his fill ins but I'd take that over what we got this issue anyday.

Final Crisis: Rage of the Red Lanterns - I have no problem with the emotional spectrum or the different corps. I just think Johns is trying to shove them all in too quickly to make the timetable for the whole Blackest Night event.

Hmm, I thought Kurth was all right. My only real problem with his work is that he had absolutely no idea how to draw Prodigy's mask.

Oh, you can't even begin to imagine how annoyed I was at the idea that Asgard didn't have toilets. Yeah, their culture is similar to the Vikings', but they're not actually Vikings living in Viking times. They had panaceas that could cure literally any disease and monuments made of solid gold and magic that could warp reality itself. You're seriously gonna sit there and tell me that the best sort of plumbing system this extremely advanced culture could come up with is to throw their s*** over their walls? Ridiculous.

I agree.

The reasons why I think it happened:

1). The desire to merge the Marvel Asgardians with actual Norse myth, now that such research doesn't require hours in a library, is on the rise. Sadly, this means overruling or ignoring past Asgardian stories from Marvel. It stinks.

2). JMS is a TV writer and thus is thinking in zero sum terms. Thus, Asgardians = Vikings. If you doubt TV writers think in such simple terms, I suggest not watching HEROES.

3). Many writers still desire to make character relatable by bring them "down to Earth" or more simple and whatnot. Having a race of gods actually act like gods seemingly brings them down under this theory; look at the problems The Eternals franchise often faced. Of course, as with anything, a writer's willpower and talent can overrule this.

The No-Prize Answer would be the rules of Asgard changed when Thor remade it on Earth. But I still don't see why even if he couldn't recreate all of the realm's wonders, why they wouldn't have basic plumbing. But, since JMS has the "gods interacting with locals" dynamic, naturally the locals have to have some insight. Such as when that young man taught the Asgardians basketball and they couldn't seem to figure out the basic dynamics of a game, but a few issues later are capable of a "capture-the-flag" exercise.

The idea of Asgard being where it is and interacting with local mortals is a good one. But JMS seems to be floating into Bendis territory; awesome ideas, fudgy execution. It just isn't as perennial on THOR...yet.

I disagree with Dread that Thor taking Loki back was silly, though. Loki having such an influence on Balder is more debatable, but I already gave my thoughts on that earlier. Thor accepting Loki back should simply be a matter of course. He tried to avoid bringing Loki back at all, but Heimdall called him out on it because he was basically trying to exercise his will over life and death, which is wrong however you look at it. So Loki came back and, once he was back, Thor really had no choice but to take him back because of his own rhetoric. He basically said a new age had dawned and the Asgardians were getting a second, totally uninhibited chance at life this time. As a just ruler, he can't very well say that and then turn around and go, "Oh, wait, except Loki." Like him or not, Loki is still a member of the Asgardian elite and still a son of Odin and brother to Thor. All of his past sins were effectively washed away by the second chance speech.

But hasn't Thor killed beings that were unredeemably evil? Wouldn't Loki count? How many crimes has he committed on Asgard and Midguard? How many menaces has he empowered; technically Loki is responsible for every crime the Wrecking Crew commit, since he empowered them. How many times has Lokl sought to undermine or otherwise destroy Asgard, regardless of whether Odin or Thor were in charge?

Frankly, Thor giving Loki an upteenth chance almost seems to be a bit of bloodline favoritism. Even the theory of "friends close, enemies closer" can only go so far when Thor easily allows Loki to position the gullible Balder into a high position of power without a hiccup.

In the last episode of JLU, a frustrated Superman once griped, "Oh, COME ON! It's Lex Flippin' Luthor!" in the argument not to trust him and his squad of villains with fighting Darkseid. Well, I could make the same argument. It's Loki, the Flippin' god of mischief (or evil, depending on what myth tome you read). He's spent the past 13-16 years in Marvel Time undermining Thor, Midguard, and everyone Thor cares about, and has done so for centuries of their own time. Why in the holy **** do you ever trust what he has to say? Seriously. I mean I understand storyline requirements and all that, but I think this one could have been handled better so Thor & Balder don't seem like they are ASKING for Loki to screw them over.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. Thor has been fooled 4000 times by Loki by this stage. A king has to have firm convictions and fairness, but he/she also needs to know where to draw the line when it comes to protecting the kingdom from threats. I honestly doubt too many of Thor's subjects would have disagreed with banishing or containing their longtime enemy. If anything, I could imagine some being resentful that Loki is even living among them, breasts or not.

This is akin to Namor consistently trusting Attuma into his kingdom; after a while, Namor would just look like an idiot.

Hmm, I thought Kurth was all right. My only real problem with his work is that he had absolutely no idea how to draw Prodigy's mask.

I didn't mind Kurth, but I agree that he struggled with Prodigy's mask. Prodigy hasn't done a whole lot in A:TI thus far, and it would be cool if he did at some point.

Last edited:
I've heard a lot of good things about INCREDIBLE HERC, but at this point I am about a year behind, and back issue/trade hunting usually puts me off. That, and I absolutely can't stand that Cho kid. He's too arrogant and smug for me.

Let me just say I was of the complete same feeling about cho, but herc has done something to tone him down considerably and actually make him a kid in many regards. He's worlds better now. Get the first arc, if that doesn't hook you, you have no sense of fun. Ares lines alone are worth the price of admission:

Oh no, some unknown assailant has felled teammate wonderman!

Hot damn I'm evil!

And herc is probably one of my favorite characters suddenly, cause they actually gave him a personality. If you've ever wanted to see what a drunken womanizing godling would do in the MU, this is your book (and who doesn't want to see that? Well maybe communists, but that's it).

Let me just say I was of the complete same feeling about cho, but herc has done something to tone him down considerably and actually make him a kid in many regards. He's worlds better now. Get the first arc, if that doesn't hook you, you have no sense of fun. Ares lines alone are worth the price of admission:

Oh no, some unknown assailant has felled teammate wonderman!

Hot damn I'm evil!

And herc is probably one of my favorite characters suddenly, cause they actually gave him a personality. If you've ever wanted to see what a drunken womanizing godling would do in the MU, this is your book (and who doesn't want to see that? Well maybe communists, but that's it).

I don't have anything against Hercules. I usually liked him in Avengers or in Heroes for Hire in the late 90's. I didn't get on the title due to monetary issues back when WWH was going on and right now it comes down to saving up for trades if I am interested, and I always have a lot of titles I have on the backburners to buy.

The only downside is having Namora busy on that book removes her from any AGENTS OF ATLAS story unless Marvel eases up on their "no one but Iron Man, Wolverine, Storm, Black Panther, or Spider-Man can appear in many books at once!" rule.

The only downside is having Namora busy on that book removes her from any AGENTS OF ATLAS story unless Marvel eases up on their "no one but Iron Man, Wolverine, Storm, Black Panther, or Spider-Man can appear in many books at once!" rule.

I doubt a guest appearance in Hercules will keep her out of the upcoming Agents on-going.

But hasn't Thor killed beings that were unredeemably evil? Wouldn't Loki count? How many crimes has he committed on Asgard and Midguard? How many menaces has he empowered; technically Loki is responsible for every crime the Wrecking Crew commit, since he empowered them. How many times has Lokl sought to undermine or otherwise destroy Asgard, regardless of whether Odin or Thor were in charge?

Frankly, Thor giving Loki an upteenth chance almost seems to be a bit of bloodline favoritism. Even the theory of "friends close, enemies closer" can only go so far when Thor easily allows Loki to position the gullible Balder into a high position of power without a hiccup.

In the last episode of JLU, a frustrated Superman once griped, "Oh, COME ON! It's Lex Flippin' Luthor!" in the argument not to trust him and his squad of villains with fighting Darkseid. Well, I could make the same argument. It's Loki, the Flippin' god of mischief (or evil, depending on what myth tome you read). He's spent the past 13-16 years in Marvel Time undermining Thor, Midguard, and everyone Thor cares about, and has done so for centuries of their own time. Why in the holy **** do you ever trust what he has to say? Seriously. I mean I understand storyline requirements and all that, but I think this one could have been handled better so Thor & Balder don't seem like they are ASKING for Loki to screw them over.

Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me. Thor has been fooled 4000 times by Loki by this stage. A king has to have firm convictions and fairness, but he/she also needs to know where to draw the line when it comes to protecting the kingdom from threats. I honestly doubt too many of Thor's subjects would have disagreed with banishing or containing their longtime enemy. If anything, I could imagine some being resentful that Loki is even living among them, breasts or not.

This is akin to Namor consistently trusting Attuma into his kingdom; after a while, Namor would just look like an idiot.
Thor does kill when he deems it necessary, and he's killed Loki before (he got better). That led to the whole Masterson era because it was a huge no-no under Odin, so Odin banished Thor into Masterson's mind (although I don't think he knew that at the time).

Regarding Loki's past, we don't actually know that he's screwed with Asgardians for that long. In many of the flashbacks we've seen--and, indeed, in the myths themselves--Loki's vaguely annoying but he rarely does anything to directly harm Asgard or his fellow gods. Obviously, killing Balder is a major exception, but Balder's remained alive in the Marvel universe so presumably Loki's punishment for that was more lenient in the Marvel universe as well. Regardless, Odin felt a duty toward Loki, which saw him bringing Loki back into the fold after every transgression. So that's why Loki kept coming back in the past. This is actually the first time Thor himself has accepted Loki into Asgard's community because this is the first time he's been in a position to do so.

In the present, Thor had effectively granted amnesty to all Asgardians for their big second chance on Earth, so he would effectively be a giant hypocrite if he excepted Loki from that. By his own words, he was honor-bound to take Loki at his word and judge him as if his past crimes were absolved. That leaves him with Loki as a woman who's done nothing wrong so far (that Thor knows about, anyway), so he had to let him back into Asgard. You're right, no Asgardian would've challenged him if he'd told Loki to pack his bags, but he would've been compromising his own power by not being just and, frankly, the other Asgardians don't have a say in Thor's decisions. That's why he's lord of Asgard, not president of Asgard.

So now Loki's working his little machinations again but, like in the myths, he hasn't actually done anything to overtly challenge Thor's rule or harm Asgardians. Regarding Balder, all he's doing there is exposing Balder to certain truths. Sure, he's skewing the picture to guide Balder into certain decisions, but he's not telling any outright lies; the Asgardians are sort of stuck on Asgard or made to keep a low profile if they do venture out into the world, and they are chafing against it because their whole culture is built on lives of adventure, and Thor is sort of being hypocritical again by leaving Asgard and putting the affairs of mortals above those of his own people daily. These are facts that could easily be perceived as faults in Thor's leadership or insensitivity to his people's needs. That's the artfulness of Loki's current manipulations: he's gone from the world's most obnoxious trickster to the world's slyest politician.

Personally, I was kind of annoyed at Balder's gullibility at first, but as I mentioned in my comments on the issue earlier in this thread, if you look at it from another perspective, his gullibility could easily be described as insightfulness. He's suspicious of Loki, but he sees those aforementioned truths Loki is showing him and can't help considering their validity because they are, in fact, valid. As much as he might want to just write Loki off as a liar and give his unquestioning loyalty to Thor, he can't because that's not how his mind works. If he sees something that's unjust, it sticks with him. We've seen this manifest before in his eventual betrayal of Thor in the future of The Reigning--again, he saw that Thor was being unjust and tried to go along with it, but ultimately his own nobility got the better of him. Loki seems to be using all of those same good qualities Balder has--nobility, a desire for truth and justice, and the intelligence to question things--and pointing them at twisted truths that force him to question his loyalty to Thor.

I don't have anything against Hercules. I usually liked him in Avengers or in Heroes for Hire in the late 90's. I didn't get on the title due to monetary issues back when WWH was going on and right now it comes down to saving up for trades if I am interested, and I always have a lot of titles I have on the backburners to buy.

Oh, I wasn't saying you had anything against him (his character was developed very little in the past) I was just saying this is by far his best showing. I was just saying I couldn't recommend this highly enough. Every single issue has made me laugh out loud at least once, contains a surprisingly good story and ties into the original myths. Even cho, whom I used to dispise is actually a good character (once the first arc is over and cho realizes he's not that smart after all) and someone you'll probably end up liking believe it or not.

I just want to make a quick point about loki's current machinations in thor and why people who shouldn't trust her are. She's telling the truth. Rather than lying about this or that, she hasn't really directly lied to anyone since she was brought back by thor (I'm pretty sure). It's an interesting tactic, and she is lying by omission often but when she's talking to others they either have the choice of dealing with the truth or consciously living in forced ignorance. And by doing this she's gaining some semblence of believability to others. Should they trust her? Hell no, of course not. But if your mortal enemy came up to you and laid down a bunch of truth's you didn't know, you'd be forced to at least deal with the issues despite the source, and that's what I'm seeing happening so far.

Exactly: world's slyest politician. Loki's taking truth and twisting it around to suit his own needs to great effect, and Balder especially gets hung up on the truth bit, which obscures the machinations beneath it.
Oh, I wasn't saying you had anything against him (his character was developed very little in the past) I was just saying this is by far his best showing. I was just saying I couldn't recommend this highly enough. Every single issue has made me laugh out loud at least once, contains a surprisingly good story and ties into the original myths. Even cho, whom I used to dispise is actually a good character (once the first arc is over and cho realizes he's not that smart after all) and someone you'll probably end up liking believe it or not.
Yeah, beyond liking or disliking Herc or Cho or anyone else involved in Incredible Herc, it's just pure, unadulterated fun. Dread, you read X-Men: First Class and enjoy it because it's a fun, lighter take on the X-Men, just like I do. Well, Incredible Herc is basically a fun, lighter take on the whole Marvel universe. While other heroes are off contemplating whether their teammates will betray and kill them, Herc's hanging out on a tropical island banging Namor's cousin. Come on, that's just classic irreverence and fun in its purest form.

Thor does kill when he deems it necessary, and he's killed Loki before (he got better). That led to the whole Masterson era because it was a huge no-no under Odin, so Odin banished Thor into Masterson's mind (although I don't think he knew that at the time).

Regarding Loki's past, we don't actually know that he's screwed with Asgardians for that long. In many of the flashbacks we've seen--and, indeed, in the myths themselves--Loki's vaguely annoying but he rarely does anything to directly harm Asgard or his fellow gods. Obviously, killing Balder is a major exception, but Balder's remained alive in the Marvel universe so presumably Loki's punishment for that was more lenient in the Marvel universe as well. Regardless, Odin felt a duty toward Loki, which saw him bringing Loki back into the fold after every transgression. So that's why Loki kept coming back in the past. This is actually the first time Thor himself has accepted Loki into Asgard's community because this is the first time he's been in a position to do so.

Of course Odin always cut Loki a break; he was Loki's father. Thor wasn't so it made sense that Thor didn't offer Loki as many chances. Loki's schemes often had to be undone by Thor so it often seemed to Thor that Loki was a constant nuisance and threat. I don't see why Thor feels such a duty to Loki; honoring his father's wishes is one thing, but Thor wants to be his own god.

TheCorpulent1 said:
In the present, Thor had effectively granted amnesty to all Asgardians for their big second chance on Earth, so he would effectively be a giant hypocrite if he excepted Loki from that. By his own words, he was honor-bound to take Loki at his word and judge him as if his past crimes were absolved. That leaves him with Loki as a woman who's done nothing wrong so far (that Thor knows about, anyway), so he had to let him back into Asgard. You're right, no Asgardian would've challenged him if he'd told Loki to pack his bags, but he would've been compromising his own power by not being just and, frankly, the other Asgardians don't have a say in Thor's decisions. That's why he's lord of Asgard, not president of Asgard.

But Thor isn't a hypocrite when he feels it is fine to slay norse monsters? When Balder got into trouble with the cops for killing some orcs, Thor didn't feel the orcs were denied due justice. He has been concerned that plenty of Asgardian monsters could also be unleashed on Earth as well. Would he offer them a chance to live in Asgard if they asked? Would it even occur to him?

My point is that being a ruler in any position, president or king, requires some degree of hypocrisy. Simply being alive requires being a hypocrite at times. Thor out of all people should be aware that in the end Loki will seek to undermine him at least, destroy him and Asgard at most, and meddle with Midguard in unfriendly ways in-between. Why should Thor decide to be "inhumanely just" against the ONE BEING that out of any would seek to topple his New Asgard?

It's like when you watch a TV show, and you may like it, and see the hero allow the villain to settle into a place that the plot requires. It may be the best written plot in the universe. But the viewer will have usually known better from the start, and may shake their head with a wry smirk and mumble, "Idiot."

I don't think Thor should have so easily and eagerly allowed Loki new life as well as a place in Asgard with easy access to all it's secrets. There should have been some sort of probationary period beyond a verbal threat. When Thor found Loki, he was encountering "meddling" with reviving people. He still hasn't found Sif. The orcs were led by Loki into going outside to involve Balder with the cops and Loki was working with Dr. Doom. Now Thor doesn't know all thus, but c'mon. If a wall crumbles at random in New Asgard, all eyes should be on Loki. It's like He-Man allowing Skeletor to live in Castle Greyskull with a mere verbal promise to behave and a change in gender, with full access to all of his family & friends and ever chamber of the lair.

So now Loki's working his little machinations again but, like in the myths, he hasn't actually done anything to overtly challenge Thor's rule or harm Asgardians.

Yes, he has. Loki was working with Dr. Doom for some nefarious purpose. She manipulated Thor into reviving EVERY creature from Asgard on Earth, even monsters, somewhere. She set up Balder for that fight with the orcs and only turned on the orcs at the last second. Loki is keeping Sif prisoner, which is akin to Spider-Man allowing Norman Osborn to be his roommate and Norman has MJ locked in a basement somewhere. Loki's "revelations" regarding Balder were specifically to set him up as a ruler more open to manipulation and for all we know such "reveals" could have been lies. Thor doesn't know alot of this...but c'mon! It's Loki! It's like the X-Men allowing Magneto to join the team and then being surprised when he starts to kill some humans or plot to take over the world.

TheCorpulent1 said:
Regarding Balder, all he's doing there is exposing Balder to certain truths. Sure, he's skewing the picture to guide Balder into certain decisions, but he's not telling any outright lies; the Asgardians are sort of stuck on Asgard or made to keep a low profile if they do venture out into the world, and they are chafing against it because their whole culture is built on lives of adventure, and Thor is sort of being hypocritical again by leaving Asgard and putting the affairs of mortals above those of his own people daily. These are facts that could easily be perceived as faults in Thor's leadership or insensitivity to his people's needs. That's the artfulness of Loki's current manipulations: he's gone from the world's most obnoxious trickster to the world's slyest politician.

Personally, I was kind of annoyed at Balder's gullibility at first, but as I mentioned in my comments on the issue earlier in this thread, if you look at it from another perspective, his gullibility could easily be described as insightfulness. He's suspicious of Loki, but he sees those aforementioned truths Loki is showing him and can't help considering their validity because they are, in fact, valid. As much as he might want to just write Loki off as a liar and give his unquestioning loyalty to Thor, he can't because that's not how his mind works. If he sees something that's unjust, it sticks with him. We've seen this manifest before in his eventual betrayal of Thor in the future of The Reigning--again, he saw that Thor was being unjust and tried to go along with it, but ultimately his own nobility got the better of him. Loki seems to be using all of those same good qualities Balder has--nobility, a desire for truth and justice, and the intelligence to question things--and pointing them at twisted truths that force him to question his loyalty to Thor.

I do agree that Loki is revealing certain "inconvenient truths" about Thor's rule thus far. SI:THOR recently had Thor literally abandoning his mates in battle to deliver a sole mortal infant in another town as Donald Blake. True, he returned at the right moment and saved the day, but the point does stand. Some might be irked at Thor's willingness to work with local police rather than supersede their authority.

The biggest problem of all this is that IT IS COMING FROM LOKI and everyone looks like a complete ****** for listening to him. It's like if a dark secret about the U.S. President was revealed by Red Skull and Captain America swallowed it without a moment's hesitation.

Like I said above, I think the Loki situation should have been handled differently. The stuff with Balder is potentially interesting, but if only Loki were in some alternate form and they didn't KNOW that this newfound advisor was Loki him/herself, they wouldn't appear to be silly for believing him. Maybe if Loki had somehow swapped bodies with Sif or something so that Thor's bethrothed was thought to be an ex-villain while their longtime ally is really the enemy. There are any number of ways to have this situation play out in the way you like without the horrible elephant in the room of "Thor & Asgard's #1 enemy was allowed back in without any hesitation, and is being listened to by their second in command without any hesitation". That's a bit of a large fish for me to swallow.

It isn't helped by frustration with this subplot taking 1-3 issues longer than it needs to in order to go anywhere dramatic.

If I happen to see some trades or a HC somewhere and enough spare green I may give it a look. It depends on my desire to hunt for back issues on any particular day. Still, it has only been about a year or so since the shift, so there shouldn't be THAT many. It took me longer to catch up on INVINCIBLE in contrast (two HC's, three trades).

I just want to make a quick point about loki's current machinations in thor and why people who shouldn't trust her are. She's telling the truth. Rather than lying about this or that, she hasn't really directly lied to anyone since she was brought back by thor (I'm pretty sure). It's an interesting tactic, and she is lying by omission often but when she's talking to others they either have the choice of dealing with the truth or consciously living in forced ignorance. And by doing this she's gaining some semblence of believability to others. Should they trust her? Hell no, of course not. But if your mortal enemy came up to you and laid down a bunch of truth's you didn't know, you'd be forced to at least deal with the issues despite the source, and that's what I'm seeing happening so far.

If my mortal enemy came up to me and started telling me things, I would automatically presume it was not accurate. They're a MORTAL ENEMY. The entire point of that distinction is that they seek your overall and eventual destruction. Who gives a damn if they save your life today if they are just going to try to end it next month?

Even if I did decide to listen to what they say, I certainly wouldn't take it at face value, or allow them to wander about unwatched throughout my entire home and interact freely with all of my friends and loved ones. That's asking for a dagger to the back.

Last edited:
Exactly: world's slyest politician. Loki's taking truth and twisting it around to suit his own needs to great effect, and Balder especially gets hung up on the truth bit, which obscures the machinations beneath it.

Are you KIDDING me? Look at all the things Pres. Bush did or has done to the American people. Do they BLINDLY obey everything he says? Politicians fall from grace every time.

Loki's tried to kill them all many times. He's been a threat to Midguard and Thor's friends and family endless times. Out of ANYONE to be very suspicious of, it is Loki. Breasts or not.

Yeah, beyond liking or disliking Herc or Cho or anyone else involved in Incredible Herc, it's just pure, unadulterated fun. Dread, you read X-Men: First Class and enjoy it because it's a fun, lighter take on the X-Men, just like I do. Well, Incredible Herc is basically a fun, lighter take on the whole Marvel universe. While other heroes are off contemplating whether their teammates will betray and kill them, Herc's hanging out on a tropical island banging Namor's cousin. Come on, that's just classic irreverence and fun in its purest form.

Again, it comes down to having to hunt down trades and back issues to be fully caught up. I never enter any series blindly. I'm too much of a continuity buff, and I like catching every reference. If I come across a shop that has everything and I have enough greenbacks, I certainly will take the recommendations to mind.

And thanks for spoilin' some of that Herc bits. Now I won't be surprised. :p

Avengers: The Initiative revealed that Tarene was a Skrull. That's a shame, but I've sort of gotten used to Slott and Gage introducing great characters only to f*** them over later. Symptom of working on a big important book at the center of the Marvel universe, I suppose.

Well, the real Tarene is possibly still out there somewhere.

I doubt a guest appearance in Hercules will keep her out of the upcoming Agents on-going.

It shouldn't. But you know how Marvel feels the need to inhibit sharing sometimes. There's no reason why Beast couldn't be on the X-Men and Avengers when Wolverine manages to be.

Well, the real Tarene is possibly still out there somewhere.

The truth is out there.

Sorry, couldn't resist. I didn't even like X-FILES. ;)

Again, it comes down to having to hunt down trades and back issues to be fully caught up. I never enter any series blindly. I'm too much of a continuity buff, and I like catching every reference. If I come across a shop that has everything and I have enough greenbacks, I certainly will take the recommendations to mind.
Just so you know, we're only 10 issues in. There's the WWH Aftersmash trade, and the Secret Invasion tie-in just concluded. This week was only the 2nd issue of the current storyarc. It should be fairly easy to catch up.

Just so you know, we're only 10 issues in. There's the WWH Aftersmash trade, and the Secret Invasion tie-in just concluded. This week was only the 2nd issue of the current storyarc. It should be fairly easy to catch up.

Yeah, I was doing some research on Amazon and via trades & HC I can get through IH #106-120, which is most of the block. So, it shouldn't be so hard. I may try my local shops before going with Amazon, though; the price is a bit higher, but there is no wait time or having to possibly miss delivery and then head to the post office.

So, yeah, I am strongly considering it. I wouldn't mind some faster pace god action.

No he opens an extra-dimensional hole with his hammer and...you can figure out the rest.

So it's like an inter-dimensional outhouse. Well, I guess that fits with all their hanging out with hicks and stuff.

I feel for those beings who live in the other dimension, getting pooped on by gods from another dimension. :(

They worship the poop.

Bah, they probably worship it, what with all the Golden Apples they eat. :o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"