BoX Office Thread $

It is outgrossing Thor, Ant-Man and Black Widow in North America this weekend, so thats the positive side of things.

But worldwide it won't outgross Ant-Man and Black Widow was one of the first post-pandemic movies to come out that was also released on streaming (and made an additional 125M on Disney+). As for Thor, that movie cost less than Quantumania and came out almost 12 years ago when the MCU was barely established.

2.) Ant-man and the Wasp Quantumania (Dis) 3,825 (-520) theaters, Fri $3.1M (-63%) 3-day $12M(-62%), Total $186.3M/Wk 3
The estimates have gone down again… Well that’s rough…

AM&TW - 16.5M
Ant-Man - 12.8M
Quantumania - 12M
Eternals - 11.0

Still falling hard.

Since it’s starting to perform more like Eternals at this point, that film managed to add 28M after its 3rd weekend until the end of its run so taking that into account and tracing a similar path to Quantumania it would give it a final total of 210M. It’s probably going to end up even lower than that, but yeh 205-210 final domestic total seems to be where it’s heading.

This won’t even crack $200M domestic

This won’t even crack $200M domestic

Nah, $14 million over the next 3 weeks or so isn't going to be too hard to hit.

I think $250 is dead though, which, ouch.

The other Ant movies benefited from decent international numbers (almost twice as much as domestic). But this time, so far, it's a ~ 50/50 split.

Heck, I think $220 million, double the opening weekend, is dead. That's not the way to open up the next big phase. It suggests that it was seen as homework rather than a big event.

But worldwide it won't outgross Ant-Man and Black Widow was one of the first post-pandemic movies to come out that was also released on streaming (and made an additional 125M on Disney+). As for Thor, that movie cost less than Quantumania and came out almost 12 years ago when the MCU was barely established.
I clearly left out worldwide numbers for a reason...

Heck, I think $220 million, double the opening weekend, is dead. That's not the way to open up the next big phase. It suggests that it was seen as homework rather than a big event.
This should be a wake up call for Marvel Studios.

It makes me wonder if people are gonna flock to see the new Blade and F4 when it arrives. Because if GOTG, Marvels, Captain America and Thunderbolts drop like a rock as well then yikes, those reboots really have to be really good.

what-michael-scott.gif

It’s probably not even cracking 210.

I just don’t know what they were thinking trying to introduce Kang in a series that is known for smaller stakes, no pun intended.

I think audiences are conditioned for the big green screen fx for Avengers type movies. Anything else needs to need to be a more realistic scale.

I just don’t know what they were thinking trying to introduce Kang in a series that is known for smaller stakes, no pun intended.

I think audiences are conditioned for the big green screen fx for Avengers type movies. Anything else needs to need to be a more realistic scale.

Not only that, but audiences are starting to get conditioned to these films dropping on Disney Plus a couple of months after they hit theaters.

Dr. Strange MOM
Theaters - May 6
Disney Plus - Jun 22
Window - 47 Days

Thor:L&T
Theaters - July 8
Disney Plus - Sept 8
Window - 62 Days

BPWF
Theaters Nov 11
Disney Plus - Feb 1
Window - 81 Days

How long until AM&TW:Q hits Disney Plus? Based on what I'm seeing, maybe mid-April. I think audiences can wait a couple of months. In fact, a lot of the general audience is probably waiting until an actual Avengers-level movie to drop, then they'll just get caught up on Disney Plus.

It is pretty telling that it is kind of hard to find a movie that had a 60% drop on their third weekend.

Not only that, but audiences are starting to get conditioned to these films dropping on Disney Plus a couple of months after they hit theaters.

Dr. Strange MOM
Theaters - May 6
Disney Plus - Jun 22
Window - 47 Days

Thor:L&T
Theaters - July 8
Disney Plus - Sept 8
Window - 62 Days

BPWF
Theaters Nov 11
Disney Plus - Feb 1
Window - 81 Days

How long until AM&TW:Q hits Disney Plus? Based on what I'm seeing, maybe mid-April. I think audiences can wait a couple of months. In fact, a lot of the general audience is probably waiting until an actual Avengers-level movie to drop, then they'll just get caught up on Disney Plus.

The window is clearly widening as we get farther from the pandemic and companies worry more about making money than increasing streaming subscriber numbers. That said, The way Quantummania is dropping at the box office, there's going to be no particular reason to not stream it as its clearly getting pushed out of theaters quickly by the competition. Scream VI and 65 are going to need screens, followed by Shazam 2, John Wick 4, and D&D. Theaters may make the choice for Disney.

Yeah the choice of villain is weird.

They didn't include any Avengers (like Civil War, Ragnarok, No Way Home, Homecoming and Multiverse of Madness) as a gimmick. But instead of featuring an Ant-Man villain, they used a villain that is going tobe a villain in a future Avengers movie. And whats not right is the movie got bad reviews and falling like a rock at the boX office. I just hope this won't affect Kang Dynasty in 2 years and 2 months.

A large chunk of the WW intakes disappeared in China vs Antman 2, dropping from $120m to under $40m, a whooping $80m+.

Well at least it got a good amount of change from China unlike some of the previous MCU outings which weren’t allowed to play there.

They need a new writer. This Loveness guy just doesn’t get it.
I’m willing to give him another shot with Kang Dynasty because I do think working with a better director can help. While I will never call Reed a hack(an overused term), he’s ultimately a mediocre journeyman filmmaker, and I think Loveness will have better results if he’s working with a higher caliber filmmaker Deston Daniel Cretton. We’ll see.

3rd Monday

AM&TW - 2.2M
Ant-Man - 1.8M
Eternals - 1.4M
Quantumania - 909k

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member