Comics ?Brand New Day, Continuity QUESTION?

Fox

Civilian
Reaction score
Hi Folks

So I'm a long time Spidey-Fan, I've been reading the various comics that have come out in past years off and on, and when I'm not buying the comics I try to keep track of what's been going on in the web-heads life. However I stopped following with Brand New day. I have been considering buying The JMS Ultimate collection (currently I have his run all the way up until 'the book of Ezekiel), as I think some of the work looks intriguing, but I'm also fully aware that his run ends with One More Day, which has such a depressing ending I'm not sure I really want to invest the money.

Basically I've gotten to a point where I would consider buying the Brand New Day Run, but I just need to know that Everything else I've read with Spider-man hasn't all been for nothing. Kind of Like I needed to know that Ben Reilly wasn't really Spider-man (back in the day).

My question is not whether they are good reads or not, I've heard arguments both ways plenty of times, what I want to know is whether the damage done by Mephisto's deal has been more or less fixed. Do Mary Jane and Peter Know that They were married? have they, or are there any indications of, them getting back together? What about their unborn child? Or does it Look like everything that was accomplished during the JMS run has more or less been permanently retconned out of existence?

Hi... :yay:

My question is not whether they are good reads or not, I've heard arguments both ways plenty of times, what I want to know is whether the damage done by Mephisto's deal has been more or less fixed. Do Mary Jane and Peter Know that They were married? have they, or are there any indications of, them getting back together? What about their unborn child? Or does it Look like everything that was accomplished during the JMS run has more or less been permanently retconned out of existence?

Everything that happened during the JMS run occured as you read it with the sole exception that Peter & Mary Jane were not married... they were a long-time common law couple, just not married... and the storiers happened as you read them.

In my opinion, most of the BND books have been good/great, while there have been some weaker stories... typically, depending on who the writer was, the stories were as good as the writer in question... most people would agree that the Bobe Gale stories were weak, but the Dan Slott or the Fred Van Lente stories were the best ones... but unlike the JMS stories, most of them moved at a much faster pace, as they were not decompressed for "trades"...

Nobody remembers who Spider-Man was, with the sole exception of Mary Jane... since BND began, Peter has told his identity to the FF and members of the New Avengers... the understanding is that if people see his face as Spider-Man, they will remember the stuff that happened during his reveal in Civil War... other than that, to the people that do not know, those memories are hazy and they can't remember clearly... (this was a result of a mindwipe created by Dr.Strange, Reed richards & Tony Stark)... these people include Venom & Norman Osborn.

I know a LOT of JMS fans were bent that his stories didn't count, but they are still in continuity, and they are refferenced during BND on a few occasions.

Nothing has been stated in the comics about their "unborn child", but Marvel has since admitted that MJ was never pregnant during the Clone Saga....

When BND began in ASM #546, MJ was barely seen in the books until her return to NYC in ASM #600... since then, she's been increasingly more and more an intergral part of Peter's supporting cast, and has recently shown "jealous" feelings towards Peter....

ASM #648 would be a great jumping on point... as Dan Slott takes over as sole writer... so the book should have a solid flow.

Hope this helps...

:yay:

If I can add my two cents: rather than filling in the blanks immediately, I would suggest that you start with the current run, in which Dan Slott is the sole writer. The title is being sold with the Big Time label on it , starting with Amazing Spider-Man #648. It's gotten mostly good reviews, even from some fans who haven't liked the new direction. If you like that, maybe work your way backward from there. I don't think you need to know much more than what TMOB laid out there, and you can always come ask us wtf (Sarah Palin does all the time :D )

Thanks Guys. Yeah I think that helps. I do think at some point I would like to read them, but like I said before I just need to know that any character development accomplished during JMS' run isn't going to be wasted.

As for MJ's unborn child... I was aware of her original kid way back during the Clone Saga, but I had been under the impression that she had gotten pregnant again during the end of JMS' run? Like I said I stopped reading pretty much after 'Book of Ezekiel', and have otherwise kept track of the web head through internet forums, reviews, and occasionally reading/skimming through random issues at the comic shop, so I guess could its possible I misread something and jumped to conclusions? guess that's what I get for not paying attention.

I will say this, pick up "Big Time", and give it a go from there. Most, if not all, the confusing back-tracking and continuity-clearing is done with now, and the stories read a LOT better. One writer, and a very steady pace. I've only read the first couple of issues, but they are pretty decent.

Also, I think this is the first story to quit referencing BND/OMD, etc since it all started up. Painless and enjoyable. Also, Ramos's artwork seems to be on point, now, without some of the awkward stylization it used to have.

My two cents. I could give you my honest opinion of the reboot and all, but it's beating a dead horse at this point, and they aren't changing it back. So, pick it up, give it a shot. You may just love it.

... I just need to know that any character development accomplished during JMS' run isn't going to be wasted.

That would be a 100% yes. :o

Aloha,
Now that the drama is over, many fans realize that all is well with the Spider Universe. We have Slott on Amazing and things are looking very good.You can get the trades for the entire BND run and start with Big Time for the current state of Spidey.
Spidey rules

Cool. Yeah I've just been looking into it. In the long run I'll probably read them all. I have this sneaking suspicion that no matter what I'm going to be a bit frustrated by the backtracking of MJ and Pete's relationship.

I really felt that throughout JMS' run MJ and Peter were a couple I could care about while at the same time taking them away from the angsty drama that their marriage had been so mired in during 90's. For so long MJ was constantly having second thoughts about her and Peter (due to him being Spidey), and they would always be arguing. It got boring. After MJ's return from the dead I really enjoying the growth in their relationship. Seeing them succeed together while facing adversity. Frankly it was good writing for the most part. And to put them back in the 'will they, won't they' stage in their relationship is frustrating. But I'm also well aware that most of the actual writers aren't to blame, and I just like Spidey too much to boycott his adventures outright.

It sounds like everyone's fairly happy with Slott though which is good. Looking forward to reading it when I get the chance.

Just as you said...

"I really felt that throughout JMS' run MJ and Peter were a couple I could care about"

... well, they were a couple, and they did have a deep love between them... the only difference now is that they were simply not married...those stories still count as you read them.

Hope you enjoy reading the book again...

:yay:

Users who are viewing this thread

Staff online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
picamon
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"