• Secure your account

A friendly reminder to our users, please make sure your account is safe. Make sure you update your password and have an active email address to recover or change your password.

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Breaking News! Polish President Dies In Plane Crash

Anita18

DANCE FOR ME, FUNNY MAN!
Reaction score
Along with a lot of other important people. :csad:

Polish President Lech Kaczynski was killed early Saturday along with his wife, several top military officials, and the head of the national bank when their plane crashed at a western Russian airport, officials said.

"There are no survivors," said Sergey Antufyev, the governor of Smolensk, where the plane was trying to land when it crashed.

A spokesman for Poland's Foreign Ministry, Piotr Paszkowski, said earlier that it was probable that everyone on board was killed.

The Polish military plane originated in Warsaw, the Polish Defense Ministry said. It was approaching the airport at Smolensk -- just a few miles east of Katyn -- and probably hit some trees at the end of the runway, Paszkowski said.

The Investigation Committee of the Russian prosecutor's office said the plane, a Tupolev-154, was trying to land in heavy fog.

Kaczynski's Law and Justice Party released a list of some of those it said were killed in the crash. They included Aleksander Szczyglo, the head of the National Security Office; Jerzy Szmajdzinski, the deputy parliament speaker; Andrzej Kremer, the deputy foreign minister; and Gen. Franciszek Gagor, the army chief of staff, according to the party.

"The entire top military brass, including the chief of defense and all the services, were on the plane," said Tomas Valasek, of the Center for European Reform. "If that is true, then you're looking at a situation, in effect, of the decapitation of the military services."

http://www.cnn.com/2010/WORLD/europe/04/10/poland.president.plane.crash/index.html?hpt=T1

I've heard that Poland's political situation is usually even messier and more hateful than the US's, but they have to stay strong now.

I've always detested this man, but I can't hate on him today.
RIP.

Why in the hell were so many top officials on the same plane? I mean, it sucks that this happened but this whole situation seems like it could have been avoided pretty easily. For starters, if you are going to be dumb enough to put the entire head of the Polish state on the same plane, don't put them on a plane that has crashed 66 times and been responsible for nearly 3000 deaths since it's creation.

Last edited:
True that. It seems like a really unwise move to keep so many important people so close together.

Extremely sad news...

My question is why the hell would they try and land in that kind of fog, it seems a very simple thing to divert to another airfield that is not stuck under thick fog. I think the Polish government needs better train the pilots who fly their President around....AND, don't put so many of your top people on the same plane....

Truly sad.....but bad, bad, bad planning.

Last edited:
Q:How many Polocks does it take to land an airplane?

A: We dunno they can't seem to get it right.

:awesome:

Too soon?

I've always detested this man, but I can't hate on him today.
RIP.
I had a polish co worker who used to hate him and always had negative things to say about him as well. Sad news though

Imma guess that this wasn't a simple engine failure.

Well, what they are saying now is that the air traffic controllers told him to land at another airfield, the fog was too thick there....the pilot ignored the warning.

As Kel said earlier, I'm not quite sure why the pilot refused to divert to another landing strip...but I can't imagine the rational of having so many high level people on one flight. Regardless, this is incredibly sad news.

You know, If I believed in conspicacy's I would say that Putin had something to do with this in some kind of attempt to get Poland back under Russian rule.:dry::cwink:

What a terrible tragedy. But I heard on the news that the pilot was given instruction to land on another landing strip, and he ignored that recommendation? I think the pilot needs to be investigated...along with Putin. :o

Why the hell would Poland put most of their important officials all on the same plane ?

Ya know.....something smells very Putin..... I just can't believe that a "military trained pilot" which I'm sure this guy was, would take this kind of chance. Just doesn't smell right..... the "pilot error" was too easy, and too fast.

I am probably wrong......but just doesn't seem right to me.

You're not the first to suggest that Putin may have had some involvement.

You're not the first to suggest that Putin may have had some involvement.

I'm sure he still has strong military contacts from his KGB days....and I wonder if anyone has checked into the pilots history with the Soviet Union/Military/KGB...

Yeah, but unfortunately no other heads of state are going to be able to make it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stevezorz
Back
monitoring_string = "afb8e5d7348ab9e99f73cba908f10802"